Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Why would Union folks back the guy who had the chance to help the railroad workers get sick leave and couldn’t even manage that. Doubled down on screwing them over. Actions speak louder than jackets
"Congress tied my hands on that deal, and the rail unions later got what they were looking for*, and anyway I learned my lesson: Go unions!"

*some unions got some of what they wanted from some railroads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
But why didn't Biden give a harder speech to make everything happen? :mad:

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

But why didn't Biden give a harder speech to make everything happen? :mad:

With a stroke of his pen

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So apparently Arab Americans, small in number, are an important voting bloc because there is a concentration of them in Michigan, but union members, also with critical concentrations in Midwestern states, are not an important voting bloc because of their numbers.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The railroad strike issue has been debunked in this thread on like 10 separate occasions. I hate Biden as much as anyone but come on, we don't need to make poo poo up to justify it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SteakFrankhouse/status/1722994944678224097

Elon Musk really spent $44 billion dollars to purchase a service to give him clinical depression. I think that if we make it that long, in 50 years we're going to have to have had some serious controls or cultural mores around mental hygeine and healthy use of social media. It doesn't matter if you're a 13 year old kid or a three star general, people get so incredibly hosed up by this stuff.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Elon Musk really spent $44 billion dollars to purchase a service to give him clinical depression. I think that if we make it that long, in 50 years we're going to have to have had some serious controls or cultural mores around mental hygeine and healthy use of social media. It doesn't matter if you're a 13 year old kid or a three star general, people get so incredibly hosed up by this stuff.

We should probably also have a discussion about why idiot manchildren (or anyone at all) should be allowed to have that much money.

Also if Elon didn't want this happening maybe he shouldn't have sabotaged Twitter to become the toxic cesspool it is now. This is a hell of his own making because he picked the worst option every time.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 10, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Started out as a modern-day Henry Ford and turned into a modern-day Howard Hughes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

so He bought a company while he was emotional uprush and assumed everyone would just love him because he was surrounded by yes men nd being love bombed by nazis. then woops. I don't believe elon was ever some super cunning dude but i do think at one point much like trump, he had way better impulse control and knew how to interact with people. now he is just some sad weirdo chasing clicks and headpats while pissing away any legitimacy he had.

haveblue posted:

Started out as a modern-day Henry Ford and turned into a modern-day Howard Hughes

Nah, he just became the OTHER part of henry ford but without any of the interesting or good parts.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 10, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so He bought a company while he was emotional uprush and assumed everyone would just love him because he was surrounded by yes men nd being love bombed by nazis. then woops. I don't believe elon was ever some super cunning dude but i do think at one point much like trump, he had way better impulse control and knew how to interact with people. now he is just some sad weirdo chasing clicks and headpats while pissing away any legitimacy he had.

It's important to keep in mind that he never intended to buy Twitter, he was just running his big mouth and accidentally signed a binding agreement, and then did everything he could to get out of the deal. There's a lot of Elon out there talking about why he bought twitter, to do this or that, no you bought twitter because the Delaware Chancery Court was going to make you buy it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

It's important to keep in mind that he never intended to buy Twitter, he was just running his big mouth and accidentally signed a binding agreement, and then did everything he could to get out of the deal. There's a lot of Elon out there talking about why he bought twitter, to do this or that, no you bought twitter because the Delaware Chancery Court was going to make you buy it.

yeah i kinda forgot about that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think even Elon would be stupid enough to just accidentally sing a purcahse agreement worth $40B. More likely is that he wanted to do it to defeat the woke mind virus and unban some of his chud friends, then the value tanked and interest rates spiked and he tried to back out of it.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think even Elon would be stupid enough to just accidentally sing a purcahse agreement worth $40B. More likely is that he wanted to do it to defeat the woke mind virus and unban some of his chud friends, then the value tanked and interest rates spiked and he tried to back out of it.

You don't have to be stupid when you're high as all gently caress, like Elon is half the time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
He thought he could post through it because he is an idiot who is high all the time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

He was trying to back out two weeks after the company's board agreed to his meme offer, that was the whole "5% bots" song and dance.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's not stupid. He offered way above the actual value for the company. It's because he was addicted to it and wanted to be in control.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The important thing is that it is really, really funny.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's not stupid.

Do we have any evidence or sources for that?

For real though, if he wanted to buy it specifically to carry out some vision for what it should be, it made 0 sense for him to then try to back out of it. Like I certainly think that once he realized there was no way out of the deal he tried to cope by thinking he could spin it into a win by becoming Twitter's beloved memelord, but everything he did before taking it over sure seemed like he didn't want to end up buying it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't agree with the idea I've seen around that he had some master plan to turn Twitter into a right-wing cesspool. That's just happening now because of the things he's doing with the site. But he clearly intended to buy Twitter.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't agree with the idea I've seen around that he had some master plan to turn Twitter into a right-wing cesspool. That's just happening now because of the things he's doing with the site. But he clearly intended to buy Twitter.

I don’t blame anyone for not following what this complete idiot is doing, but no it’s very intentional. The purchase was an accident, he was trying to gently caress with the stock price

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

zoux posted:

Joke's on him, we only had to spend $10 for ours

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe he is actually a good poster and pledged to use a major chunk of his wealth to get brands off of Twitter

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

He was high on drugs and/or having a manic episode, possibly a drug-induced manic episode.

The precipitating event, as I recall, was the @elonjettracker account refusing Musk’s offer of $5000 to stop tweeting about him. I dont think he ended up going fully anti-woke until one of his children disowned him and began transitioning. In any case, it’s been an incredible source of content.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I think he wanted to buy and control it.

The part he wanted to back out on was the price, which he blundered into by throwing big numbers around to show how he could easily buy it because he’s so rich.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Zwabu posted:

I think he wanted to buy and control it.

The part he wanted to back out on was the price, which he blundered into by throwing big weed numbers around to show how he could easily buy it because he’s so rich.

FTFY

quote:

On April 14, Musk made an unsolicited and non-binding offer to Twitter to purchase the company for $43 billion, or $54.20 per share, and take it private.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquisition_of_Twitter_by_Elon_Musk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I buy that announcing he wanted to buy it was the result of stupidity and chemical assistance, but at least several days passed between the tweets to that effect and his actual signing of a binding contract, he can't have stayed that high for the entire duration

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Elon Musk has had issues with the account for a long time, and offered Jack Sweeney $5,000 to delete the account in 2021. Sweeney countered asking for $50,000, saying he would use the money for college and possibly to buy a Tesla Model 3. Their last exchange was in January 2022, when Musk said it wouldn't feel right to pay in order to shut the account down. Sweeney asked about the possibility of an internship at one of Musk's companies, and offered Musk advice, including about a federal privacy program to vary the ID his transponder beamed out, thus blocking flight tracking programs. Musk began using the program, though Sweeney remained able to track Musk's flights.[19][17] Musk blocked Sweeney sometime after January 23.[20]

quote:

Business magnate Elon Musk initiated an acquisition of American social media company Twitter, Inc. on April 14, 2022, and concluded it on October 27, 2022. Musk had begun buying shares of the company in January 2022, becoming its largest shareholder by April with a 9.1 percent ownership stake. Twitter invited Musk to join its board of directors, an offer he initially accepted before declining. On April 14, Musk made an unsolicited offer to purchase the company, to which Twitter's board responded with a "poison pill" strategy to resist a hostile takeover before unanimously accepting Musk's buyout offer of $44 billion on April 25. Musk stated that he planned to introduce new features to the platform, make its algorithms open-source, combat spambot accounts, and promote free speech.

Somewhere in that timeline was a heated exchange w the previous Twitter CEO in which Elon expressed his impulse decision to acquire twitter

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

haveblue posted:

I buy that announcing he wanted to buy it was the result of stupidity and chemical assistance, but at least several days passed between the tweets to that effect and his actual signing of a binding contract, he can't have stayed that high for the entire duration

That's because the SEC was accusing him of stock manipulation (as he had done numerous times in the past, intentionally or not) and so he had to say "yeah, that was totally a real offer" or else he would face legal consequences.

E: source
https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/musk-sued-by-twitter-investors-delayed-disclosure-stake-2022-05-26/

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 10, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

haveblue posted:

Which one of you got Elon hooked on da joose

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

FlamingLiberal posted:

If anything I'd flip those sentences around. Like, maybe he wanted to buy Twitter abstractly, but certainly not for the price he actually offered for it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/elon-musk-twitter-cancel-purchase-deal-rcna32211

Meanwhile, the right-wing cesspool that Twitter is now was entirely based on his own policy changes. Nothing about owning Twitter required him to unban chuds and stop enforcing rules against hate speech, those were his initiatives.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's not stupid.

A mountain of evidence suggests otherwise

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

haveblue posted:

That's an assumption I'm not willing to make of a billionaire.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

haveblue posted:

I mean, he had the money to be lit the entire time.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Elizabeth warren got confronted during dinner by a Palestinian refugee who has lost 68 family members in Israel's indiscriminate murder of civilians in Gaza:

https://twitter.com/JVPBoston/status/1722848277819760865

She was met with protesters as she left the dinner:

https://twitter.com/micahinATL/status/1722799841057632451

Hopefully we see more of these types of things until elected Democrats locate their humanity and call for a ceasefire. I don't know if shame is really an effective tactic against elected politicians, though.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

B B posted:

Elizabeth warren got confronted during dinner by a Palestinian refugee who has lost 68 family members in Israel's indiscriminate murder of civilians in Gaza:

https://twitter.com/JVPBoston/status/1722848277819760865

She was met with protesters as she left the dinner:

https://twitter.com/micahinATL/status/1722799841057632451

Hopefully we see more of these types of things until elected Democrats locate their humanity and call for a ceasefire. I don't know if shame is really an effective tactic against elected politicians, though.

Eh, being obnoxious towards a politician who is already critical of Israel's invasion and calling for a ceasefire seems like a good way to push them away from the protester's side :shrug:

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Kalit posted:

Eh, being obnoxious towards a politician who is already critical of Israel's invasion and calling for a ceasefire seems like a good way to push them away from the protester's side :shrug:

If people protesting genocide pushes her off their side then she wasn't much of an anti genocide ally.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Mischievous Mink posted:

If people protesting genocide pushes her off their side then she wasn't much of an anti genocide ally.

Do you think that harassing a person over an issue where they are on the same side as you would make said person more sympathetic?

IMO, it absolutely does not and could easily build resentment over time.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 10, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zoux posted:

He was trying to back out two weeks after the company's board agreed to his meme offer, that was the whole "5% bots" song and dance.

He was also originally interested in being on the board. Buying it outright didn’t come along until he refused to take a background check lol.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kalit posted:

Do you think that antagonizing people who are on the same side as you would make said person more sympathetic?

IMO, it absolutely does not and could easily build resentment over time.

If that’s true we need to fix the criteria by which we pick these people, if they’re truly unable to rise above picking a moral course of action based on who’s yelling at them in the moment.

What you’re proposing right now as a model is incredibly insulting to Warren’s intelligence if you view her as a rational adult, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

i am a moron posted:

I don’t blame anyone for not following what this complete idiot is doing, but no it’s very intentional. The purchase was an accident, he was trying to gently caress with the stock price

You don't accidentally sign an ironclad, extremely binding contract. If he was just faking interest to mess with the stock price for some reason, then he wouldn't have signed an actual contract.

It is extremely clear that he genuinely wanted to buy Twitter, and then changed his mind and genuinely wanted to get out of buying Twitter. We don't know (and will likely never know) why exactly he made these decisions, but it's quite clear that he made them. There's no such thing as accidentally buying a company.