Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

Then what did they fight in the great Castle War of 1999?

Castles, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i liked lugner quickly going from "no worries, i can just outlast her with my superior mana reserves" to "okay this is not going to work"

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
the vibe i get is that modern human-system ordinary offensive magic is only demon-killing magic in that it includes all standard demon-system magic defenses among the various categories of things it destroys. this makes sense because human mages face a variety of threats and challenges, but demons are the most typical case where you start blasting early on and the encounter doesn't stop until someone's dead, so if there's a limited design space or some kind of complexity tradeoff, you would include this critical use case. frieren is one particularly interested party when it comes to working demon-killing magic into the standard repertoire, but most others would come to similar or compatible conclusions. consider that she tells heiter that she can't take fern with her because new combat mages have very low survivability, but he's the one who suggests proficiency with this spell as the benchmark for when she's ready to join. what is it specifically that is such a threat to young mages out there, even when they travel in a party? it's the monster that can sense mana and potentially learn a lot about how magic works

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

yeah this episode was loving sick and went totally hogwild with the animation

this, it loving rocked. now to read the other 67 posts and hope it isnt dumb bullshit

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

This episode was well animated and all, but it really examplified my issue with this series in the manga. Everyone just reacts to everything with a dead fisheyed stare.

Get impaled? :|
Watch your ally get dusted? :|

this is badass. gently caress you!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
up to ep 5 watching with my buddies. not normally my type of anime but i'm addicted. big frier kicks rear end, i love our sleepy champ

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

symbolic posted:

this is badass. gently caress you!

:emptyquote:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Are they going to reach the himmel ghost fireworks factory at the end of this coir? and will they reach the magic academy fireworks factory by the end of the second coir?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

She really doesn't like demons.
For damned good reason.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Spookydonut posted:

Are they going to reach the himmel ghost fireworks factory at the end of this coir? and will they reach the magic academy fireworks factory by the end of the second coir?

Serie is in the OP so I'm guessing yes to the second one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
BOOYAH

The manga readers have been quietly waiting for the anime to catch up to this chapter, lol. It's been super hard to discuss Frieren's relationship to demons without referencing what was revealed in this chapter

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Flamme just casually firing an elf-shaped seek and destroy missile at the Demon King across the gap of a thousand years.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Episode 10. It's my favorite moment in the entire manga thusfar, and the anime does not disappoint.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Whoa that was cold.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Love the look of the ancient civilization. The earthen huts and stonework buildings. Differentiating the eras very strongly.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

yo dawg I heard you like twintails

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

This might ACTUALLY be the best episode of the show so far, which is a high bar to clear especially after the sakuga-fest prior episode. The direction is out standing, it has all the things I love about the manga and adaptation so far (time passaging montage set to melancholic score? Hell yea), and that ending. MWAH chefs kiss.

The sword cutting through Aura's sex-tails :stare:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jerkface posted:

The sword cutting through Aura's sex-tails :stare:

You can't keep calling them that Bill, there are children here

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just a reminder that Aura would use your headless undead body as a footstool. :v:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Mordja posted:

You can't keep calling them that Bill, there are children here

She picked a problematic amount of pony tails, had to die

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The demons thinking like doomguy (for mana instead of guts) is a cool idea and frieren crushing aura as squashing an ant while walking is pretty awesome to close the episode/arc.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Aura's Titanic ran into Frieren's iceberg. Now you see why her name is even more appropriate.

Didn't even look back. If it had been an explosion, she would have been that badass in an action movie who lights a cig as they walk away. Colder than ice.
\/\/\/\/\/

Doodles fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 10, 2023

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

"but what I do have is a particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop dead right now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you." - Frieren, probably.

What I love about this series is that it actually makes the span of time feel real. A lot of shows (and not just anime) have inhumanly old characters who don't really feel that old, you've got any number of immortal wizards or angels or demons or whatever running around in media that really don't seem older than their appearance/actor/archetype. Then you have Frieren. Not only does the show spend a lot of time lingering on the passage of time just in terms of setting and backdrop (love how the backdrops in the past were fantasy-roman and the present is more generic fantasy-European), you have this episode which spends its entire length putting across how long Frieren has spent to get to this very point. The plot with Aura and her scales was a foregone conclusion given how they set it up, but the show spent its time on an incredibly exacting, step-by-step, beat-by-beat demonstration of just how LONG it took to get to this point. This episode was over a thousand years in the making, and it truly felt like it.

And then Frieren just walked off. On to the next Demon.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Omnicrom posted:

"but what I do have is a particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop dead right now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you." - Frieren, probably.

Frieren is Neeson age equivalent after all, it fits.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The resolution of the fight was obvious but exploring it gave us a lot of insight into Frieren as a character and even a glimpse of how demon society works. Very good ep.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I don't care what anyone else says, Frieren continually HxH zetsu-ing her mana just to get a sneak attack like every 100 years is incredibly bad rear end.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A good episode. I think this scene was my favorite one in the portion of the manga I read.

https://twitter.com/fikkyun/status/1723000932672102780

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I absolutely love the general conceit of this episode, that being that Flamme took who may be the strongest Mage in history and respec'd her into an Assassin. :allears:

E: All of this happens to recontextualize Fern's internal monologues too. She had been constantly noting how Lugner thinks nothing of her and doesn't perceive her as a threat at all, which could be construed as wounded pride on her part. Instead, it's just her coldly acknowledging the success of Frieren's methods.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 10, 2023

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
As usual, what will happen was obvious to anyone paying attention from the moment Aura's gimmick was explained a couple episodes back but it's how the story told leading up to it that's interesting.

From what some of the characters said about the heroes' party driving off Aura last time and that quick frame of Himmel cutting down Aura, I suppose Aura got away last time despite Frieren blasting the mind-controlled solders (and thus getting scolded), then hid until recently? I wonder if Himmel speedblitz'd her so hard that she was scared until Himmel was gone.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, my guess is that Aura tried her usual poo poo, Himmel intercepted her and disrupted her spell before she fully casted it, Aura realized she is outmatched and decided to get the gently caress away, using her undead army as distraction/meatshields, Frieren began blasting through them in pursuit, but her other party members weren't super into basically desecrating the corpses of human soldiers and champions just to hunt down a fleeing enemy, so Aura managed to get away and Frieren got scolding.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It also seems like the Scales thing isn't something you can do just anytime you want, the middle of a melee specifically being a bad time to try to use your artifact.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yeah, the scales is very much a 1v1 ability (or 1v2 to quickly turn their ally against them if you're feeling risky). Against a full party it's not a very good ability.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
As someone else has said, I did love how thousand years ago, the world was clearly Greek/Roman inspired. It seems like in this world the advance of the demons caused the dark ages.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, the scales is very much a 1v1 ability (or 1v2 to quickly turn their ally against them if you're feeling risky). Against a full party it's not a very good ability.

If you have enough cannon fodder for a distraction, it might work out fine.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
At last, the episode where Frieren gets banned from Twitter

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
:drat: That wasn't a fight, it was an execution.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I know it's a good episode when I 1) pay attention fully instead of watch off to the side, 2) rest my chin on my hands while watching, 3) don't make side comments to myself/the cats during, and 4) when I do comment it's a "loving christ goddamn" at the very end

loving christ goddrat.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Indiana_Krom posted:

:drat: That wasn't a fight, it was an execution.

Well yes, that's what a guillotine is for.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh that's why her nickname is guillotine. Seemed odd it was that instead of Scales or something

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
No wonder the humans adopted Zoltraak when the alternative was blowing giant chunks out of the landscape.