Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

There are a few chairs that seem made for short people aren't there? Whenever I looked for something possibly catering to a taller than 5'10 person they always tie it into being a wider chair too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i'm 6'3 and the ferns back is suitably high, if you're still considering that

e: oh i missed that you ordered one

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

repiv posted:

i'm 6'3 and the ferns back is suitably high, if you're still considering that

e: oh i missed that you ordered one

Hell yeah I did :hfive: Supposed to get it on Monday.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Jiro posted:

:siren: Herman Miller went on sale as well 25% off Embodys :siren:

https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming-sale?lang=en_US

I ended up pulling the trigger and buying a Fern yesterday in black with the lumbar support and digital knit. I'm very curious to see how it will feel for 8+ hours.

is this the best chair?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Amnomia posted:

is this the best chair?

If you’re a person who sits for a living, yeah. It’s stupid good, see my post history ITT.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

tehinternet posted:

If you’re a person who sits for a living, yeah. It’s stupid good, see my post history ITT.

ok, sound's like a deal

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Amnomia posted:

is this the best chair?

No. Also yes. Depends on the person. I could never get comfortable in it but it's the threads favorite.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

No. Also yes. Depends on the person. I could never get comfortable in it but it's the threads favorite.

thanx i bought it

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Termyie posted:

My 4'10" partner was complaining about how her Secret Lab was hurting her butt and back. I told her to try my Embody but she didn't think it would be any difference. She sat in it for exactly 30 seconds, and then ordered a Sayl.
kinda short for a cop, no?

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

TenementFunster posted:

kinda short for a cop, no?

She is actually 4'11" but tells everyone she is 5'. In reality, she is a goblin person who sits in chairs the weirdest ways possible, a la cross legged and with knees to chest. I still don't know she find that comfortable, but as least she got rid of the gaudy pinky D.VA chair.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Termyie posted:

She is actually 4'11" but tells everyone she is 5'. In reality, she is a goblin person who sits in chairs the weirdest ways possible, a la cross legged and with knees to chest. I still don't know she find that comfortable, but as least she got rid of the gaudy pinky D.VA chair.

I actually sit like her, in addition to perching. It's actually why I went with the Hag Capisco. lol

The arm rests are parallel with the back instead of perpendicular, which helps a ton for my comfort. It also has a three-prong saddle seat, which makes it easy to sit straight, sideways, or even backwards.

However, it is not a chair that you sit in to just relax. I usually have to change my posture every 10-20 minutes, but the chair was designed to encourage that kind of active movement.

It's not one that I would recommend to the vast majority of people, but people who can't/don't want to sit still and sit in chairs in weird ways are most likely to benefit from it. Also, people who lean over drafting tables, because sitting backwards and leaning forward actually feels pretty good with the chest support and arm rests.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Termyie posted:

that sounds like the only good gamer chair tbh

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

My Fern came in today. :dance:

This thing feels solid love the maneuverability of the armrests, seat is firm but has a little give, the digital knit is cushy but not in a way that would just absorb all my body heat, the optional lumbar support feels loving amazing, back rest tilt controls and being able to adjust the seat forward as well as recline resistance are all just *chef kiss*. I kinda wish my arm rests were a little longer, my old chair's were just like elegantly elongated where my hands wouldn't hang off.

Going to really enjoy plopping my rear end into this.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fern buddies :hfive:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
drat, it’s like somebody made an ugly embody for poor people. good luck, goon

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Termyie posted:

In reality, she is a goblin person who sits in chairs the weirdest ways possible, a la cross legged and with knees to chest. I still don't know she find that comfortable

It gives some of the muscles in your butt, thighs, and lower back a nice stretch. If I try to sit like the ideal sitting pose all day my lower back seizes up.

Oddly enough I've only seen ladies choose to sit like this (on chairs) though. Which makes me wonder if it has something to do with the hip bones or female fat distribution. Or the extra junk in the trunk makes typical lumbar support insufficient.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just get me the Worf chair

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I've just set up my home office, which means I now need 2 new chairs since my main one is already broken. Two embody's is unfortunately out of my price range, what is the best 'budget' option? Ideally available in the UK since unfortunately not all american brand chairs are easy to get here, and I prefer a mesh chair since they are cooler in the summer. Tall people recommendations are also welcome!
New, and not refurbished as I have had a bad experience from those breaking just outside of warranty.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

how budget is "budget", the haworth fern i've been shilling is quite a bit cheaper than the embody but not exactly cheap in absolute terms either (it's currently discounted to £750 on haworths own store)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

drat, it’s like somebody made an ugly embody for poor people. good luck, goon

Turn on your monitor.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I am still annoyed I spent the equivalent of a second Embody for a stand up desk from Uplift. I do love the desk but I ain’t standing for poo poo anymore with the Embody. 9 hours later I am usually running to the bathroom since I haven’t moved once when I sat down to work. PS insurance adjusting sucks butt

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You should probably stand up every two hours anyway. :ohdear:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah use all the countdown timer features your OS has to remind you to have breaks. A comfy chair can’t solve circulation issues.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

nice try. i will never log off.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It gives some of the muscles in your butt, thighs, and lower back a nice stretch. If I try to sit like the ideal sitting pose all day my lower back seizes up.

Oddly enough I've only seen ladies choose to sit like this (on chairs) though. Which makes me wonder if it has something to do with the hip bones or female fat distribution. Or the extra junk in the trunk makes typical lumbar support insufficient.

I did ask her about that and it was a interesting answer. The old gamer chair made her lean forward more because there was no lumbar support. The Secret Lab chair she had only used a pillow for the lumbar support and after one year, that thing was flat as a board. After customer service rejected doing a warranty replacement for the pillow due to "wear and tear", she stopped using it. This causes her to sit cross-legged because there was no back support on the chair.

Since my girlfriend been going to the gym for the past 2 years, It also gotten to the point that the scooped race-car seat (which Secret Lab still refuses to acknowledge is a scooped seat, it is a "snug fit seat") is just impossible for her to sit in comfortably for anything longer than 15 minutes. Her butt and thighs just don't fit into the channel of the seat, and once again, Secret Lab's customer service just told us "it's your problem, should have gotten a Titan chair".

A Titan is close to 1000 dollars Canadian with tax. This is before they try to upsell the hell out of you. It was a no-brainer to get the Sayl since it was 100 dollars in difference with the 20% discount. Herman Miller customer support was really nice and the customer service rep we talked to was into powerlifting so she vouched for the Sayl being better for tiny thicc people since the rep was sitting in one. It's coming in today so she is excited to ditch the kitchen chair for her new office chair.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

double post

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Termyie posted:

I did ask her about that and it was a interesting answer. The old gamer chair made her lean forward more because there was no lumbar support. The Secret Lab chair she had only used a pillow for the lumbar support and after one year, that thing was flat as a board. After customer service rejected doing a warranty replacement for the pillow due to "wear and tear", she stopped using it. This causes her to sit cross-legged because there was no back support on the chair.

Since my girlfriend been going to the gym for the past 2 years, It also gotten to the point that the scooped race-car seat (which Secret Lab still refuses to acknowledge is a scooped seat, it is a "snug fit seat") is just impossible for her to sit in comfortably for anything longer than 15 minutes. Her butt and thighs just don't fit into the channel of the seat, and once again, Secret Lab's customer service just told us "it's your problem, should have gotten a Titan chair".

A Titan is close to 1000 dollars Canadian with tax. This is before they try to upsell the hell out of you. It was a no-brainer to get the Sayl since it was 100 dollars in difference with the 20% discount. Herman Miller customer support was really nice and the customer service rep we talked to was into powerlifting so she vouched for the Sayl being better for tiny thicc people since the rep was sitting in one. It's coming in today so she is excited to ditch the kitchen chair for her new office chair.
anyone who bought a race car gamer chair deserves what they got

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

repiv posted:

how budget is "budget", the haworth fern i've been shilling is quite a bit cheaper than the embody but not exactly cheap in absolute terms either (it's currently discounted to £750 on haworths own store)

Thank you, I haven't come across that one before. I don't think it counts as budget, but its not completely unrealistic. I will have to give it some thought.

After reading some reviews, it seems it doesn't come with lumbar support and the UK store doesn't offer it as an add-on. The Haworth Zody has lumbar support but a shorter back which I'm not a huge fan of. Have you got the Fern without lumbar support, and do you notice that?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i have the version without the lumbar upgrade - the frame itself has a lumbar curve built-in, but the upgrade makes it more aggressive and adds vertical adjustment

it works for me but how much lumbar you want is a personal preference thing, IIRC one of the BTOD guys actually preferred the version without the extra lumbar having tested both

i'm tall so i skipped right over the zody, the backrest isn't high enough

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 7, 2023

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I went from a dining room chair to an embody and it's pretty nice. Sorta forgot that office chairs could be good after so much WFH and my first go-around with an HM being miserable

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

repiv posted:

i have the version without the lumbar upgrade - the frame itself has a lumbar curve built-in, but the upgrade makes it more aggressive and adds vertical adjustment

it works for me but how much lumbar you want is a personal preference thing, IIRC one of the BTOD guys actually preferred the version without the extra lumbar having tested both

i'm tall so i skipped right over the zody, the backrest isn't high enough

I got the one with lumbar support, and was curious as to how it felt on the lowest position vs how high it could go and just have the chairs curve do the work. The difference is notable and for me having it rest just above the lowest setting is perfect for me since I prefer a more firm push. Without it and with the digital knit it would still be pretty darn decent.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Thanks all. Assuming the current sale is for Black Friday, I will order the Fern in a week or two and share my thoughts once it's arrived.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Jiro posted:

My Fern came in today. :dance:

This thing feels solid love the maneuverability of the armrests, seat is firm but has a little give, the digital knit is cushy but not in a way that would just absorb all my body heat, the optional lumbar support feels loving amazing, back rest tilt controls and being able to adjust the seat forward as well as recline resistance are all just *chef kiss*. I kinda wish my arm rests were a little longer, my old chair's were just like elegantly elongated where my hands wouldn't hang off.

Going to really enjoy plopping my rear end into this.

repiv posted:

fern buddies :hfive:

I bought the Fern when Jiro posted the sale. Replaces a 7 year old Leap v2 from Madison Seating which obviously never felt right. It's been great. I got it fully loaded, though the forward tilt adjustment was probably unnecessary now that I've had a chance to evaluate. I've never found HM chairs too comfortable and while the Embody looked different than most I didn't feel like I could afford to chance it. Absolutely no regrets, looks and feels great.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I just started a new job a couple weeks ago. What is now my office had apparently been vacant for many months, and had several drifters pass through in the meantime.

The purchasing director noticed that I had been left with a (heavily abused) conference room chair and offered to buy me one.

:v: I dunno, I'm kinda picky about chairs. This one is fine for the moment I guess.
:biglips: No really, let me order you one!
:v: Uh . . . okay, I guess, maybe?
:biglips: Okay! I'll go order it right now! Unless you want to pick something?
:v: What's the budget?
:biglips: Oh, I dunno, anything under $150 or so!
:v: . . . . .
:biglips: You can send me a link from anywhere really! Amazon, Office Depot, whatever, just send me a link and I"ll order it!
:v: *snapping back to reality* Okay, I'll take a look and send you something, thanks!

*1 week later*

:biglips: You never sent me a link, everything okay?
:v: Yeah, sorry! Just busy I guess haha. I might just bring one from home; I have one I'm not using.
:biglips: No need to do that! I can order something, really!
:v: Okay, let me take a look. Thanks for the reminder!

. . . I'm taking my Cosm into the office tomorrow lol. I'm pretty much using my Embody 100% of the time at home, so the Cosm has just been sitting in the corner. Might as well :shrug:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Casual spotted

I’ve got this thousand dollar rear end holder to SIT in, thankyouverymuch

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zarin posted:

. . . I'm taking my Cosm into the office tomorrow lol. I'm pretty much using my Embody 100% of the time at home, so the Cosm has just been sitting in the corner. Might as well :shrug:

Document it in writing to your boss if you don't want to risk leaving it behind when you leave this job

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I love my leap v2, but have been sitting in a recliner due to an injury, and man is the leap an annoying obstacle to have cables running near, so many spots on the chair that just hook around cords and then it free spins with very little effort so everything under the sun gets wrapped around it accidentally, for example, I just walked by it to open a window, turn around chair is spinning, managed to hook the cable from my vr headset that's on the shelf above my pc, pulls headset down hits pc, falls more hits table, falls more hits wheels, then while I'm picking it up and unwinding the chair, it gets snagged in the other direction and rips the thing out of my hand, making it hit the wheels again, somehow the headset is totally fine.

Definitely skill issue user error, but I just wanted spill my mad thoughts.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Pretty sure that your chair is haunted.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Jiro posted:

Pretty sure that your chair is haunted.

Murdered by computer chair, ultimate goon death.

I'm looking for something for around $200 for my teenage son. IKEA and this guy are two I've seen recommended, any others I should consider in that price range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sloppy posted:

Murdered by computer chair, ultimate goon death.

I'm looking for something for around $200 for my teenage son. IKEA and this guy are two I've seen recommended, any others I should consider in that price range?

I like the Tempurpedic chairs at staples, I've had mine for 7 or 8 years now. It's gotten a little creaky but it's still pretty comfortable. I'd recommend sitting on it before buying it:
https://www.staples.com/tempur-pedic-tp4000-fabric-task-chair-tp4000/product_324022
Regular price is like 300 bucks but there's sales and staples often has $X off $X promotions or coupons. I think mine was around $240 or 250 when I got it. If you can't go sit on one to see if it works for you then I'm not sure I'd recommend it, I like memory foam but not everyone does.

edit: the arm pads gave out and started coming apart after a couple of years but generic replacements were available and fit fine (they're a little different to the originals, though).