Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
I love* it. Yet again, the wild disconnect from the last page, no blowback whatsoever for his DUMB AS gently caress first line to her, we've just breezed right past her reaction, just like Snout slamming his dick and balls into Bee's face, none of it matters, ha ha, just jokes. He just cannot connect one page to the next to save his life.

He's in way over his head already regarding the racial stuff. Just blundering blindly, yet enthusiastically into a sea of poo poo he barely understands, doesn't think of the implications, etc. That's our Mookie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
i feel like he's basing these fantasy black people on redguards from elder scrolls. kaianda and this guy look like they were sketched out in the character creator

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
When you talk about jazz, you do not, in fact, have to do jazz hands.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

i feel like he's basing these fantasy black people on redguards from elder scrolls. kaianda and this guy look like they were sketched out in the character creator

Yeah it's very much a weird fantasy trope to have black people all come from one specific place and nowhere else (if they even exist at all).

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
This is so loving godawful, this cringe rear end furry and the terrible southern dialect and yet another hapless weenie protagonist

Mookie rules. We’re so back

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Mookie remains king poo poo and this thread is just his beta fanbase.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Robot Style posted:

Maybe this whole arc is just Mookie's attempt to change his comic's association with "jazz hands".

oh my god it's this

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I love how the panel layout is so static. Show us the map at least! This isn’t a stage play. You don’t have to draw it like one!

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Mookie is absolutely not going to show a map of anything.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
wow this is painful

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He could have used the first strip to do a Homer BBQ pit gag! Have the guy holding up a big simple map with labels like "big open meadow" and "normal path here", then put it down to reveal the ~wacky~ and ~bizarre~ scenery of the wild edge

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The muppeting continues. Is he afraid of drawing a chin?

Honestly, maybe he should stick to furries, the badger lady looks better than his humans.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Cemetry Gator posted:

I love how the panel layout is so static. Show us the map at least! This isn’t a stage play. You don’t have to draw it like one!

Back during the original DD run, Mookie once said he didn't like drawing maps because he sees them as "limiting," much like how planning and outlining his plots prevents him from surprising himself.

However, the real explanation is even simpler: he has no idea where everything is in relation to each other. A very basic question: is Maltak north, south, east, or west of Callan? To Mookie, that doesn't matter, therefore it doesn't matter to anyone, let alone badger lady.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

YF-23 posted:

I think it's because the body is in a 3/4 view which creates a sense of depth and then the head is just... flat. Though personally I think panel 5's face is the worst one in the page.

a big problem is the lack of details: the noses don't have nostrils, the ears are simply holes in the side of the head surrounded by a lumpy flesh donut, there's no shading to imply depth or roundness, no cheekbones or wrinkles near the eyes -- it's the sort of thing you draw as a child or a student because you don't have the eye for those little things. you can get away with simple character designs by exaggerating certain features, expressions, actions, etc., but mookie can't do any of that

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man this just highlights further how Garth was the one doing the heavy lifting on Star Power

Forcing mookie to plot more than a single page at a time really helped with pacing and stuff, yeah.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Something about this new character design in this art style reminded me of that one furry comic from several years ago.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
a great example of mookie's lack of attention to detail is the hand in panel 5. i can't draw hands to save my life but i noticed something off about it immediately, like how all the fingers are ramrod straight with no joints, the pinkie is bent at an impossible angle and seems to be attached to the ring finger, and the thumb is almost separated from the hand.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Staggy posted:

Something about this new character design in this art style reminded me of that one furry comic from several years ago.

Looking at that first panel, what the hell is she even holding? It looks like she broke a brick in two!

I guess it's supposed to be a loaf of bread, but this looks nothing like bread! Also the pieces don't fit!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Cloacamazing! posted:

Looking at that first panel, what the hell is she even holding? It looks like she broke a brick in two!

I guess it's supposed to be a loaf of bread, but this looks nothing like bread! Also the pieces don't fit!

maybe it's a hunk of tofu

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Tofu and bread should have pores...

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
don't you fret your curly lil pubes, darlin'

Is this comic just going to be page after page of supposedly hilarious casual bigotry and harassment?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Robot Style posted:

Maybe this whole arc is just Mookie's attempt to change his comic's association with "jazz hands".

I know he's got zero self-awareness, but does he even know people mock him about Jazz Hands? I've only become aware of DD thanks to this thread so I don't know whether he was paying attention to people mocking him about making a heroic rapist back then.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The muppeting continues. Is he afraid of drawing a chin?

Honestly, maybe he should stick to furries, the badger lady looks better than his humans.

That furry is someone's OC design, which explains why she looks better than Mookie's usual characters. I imagine that if Mookie tried designing a furry character by himself, it'd look hideous or a doe-eyed softboi. Or both.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

amigolupus posted:

That furry is someone's OC design, which explains why she looks better than Mookie's usual characters. I imagine that if Mookie tried designing a furry character by himself, it'd look hideous or a doe-eyed softboi. Or both.

It's not just that - he's terrible at drawing human faces, but drawn furry faces, due to being animals or fantastical creatures, give a lot more leeway in how they look. Our brain is more willing to accept them as anatomically correct than human faces since we're so familiar with them. It's something you see often with furry artists - they can draw competent furries all day, but ask them to draw a human, and it comes out looking real weird.

So, as weird as it sounds, Snout had a face that looked way better than his human companions all throughout his story. Particularly corpsemom and Skullet, because Mookie was outside his comfort zone by giving them slightly facial different features (the noses particularly) than his standard anime haired waifs.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 10, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Staggy posted:

lmao

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

ScienceSeagull posted:

don't you fret your curly lil pubes, darlin'

We do need a new thread title.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Legacy of Dominic Deegan: Somehow the jazz hands returned

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

amigolupus posted:

I know he's got zero self-awareness, but does he even know people mock him about Jazz Hands? I've only become aware of DD thanks to this thread so I don't know whether he was paying attention to people mocking him about making a heroic rapist back then.

It imploded what remained of his fanbase, so he DEFINITELY knew people weren't fans of it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DicktheCat posted:

To be fair, I wouldn't have guessed this character was a black guy if I didn't know from hearing he's based on Mookie's black character in a dnd game.

He just looks like everyone else with slightly fuzzier hair, dude could literally be any other race on the planet.
In the Mookieverse the black characters, like orcish chracters, have a single distinctive nose shape. For black characters it's a kind of rounded lump that in profile looks slightly more like a boob than when Mookie draws boobs.

He never really stays on model, so the exact shape of anyone's nose changes a lot from panel to panel, but his "black people nose" is obviously different than the "pointy anime ski-ramp" thing he does for most of his white-coded characters:

The real outlier is Mr Mullet, who usually has a pronounced aquiline nose:

...but occasionally this happens:

...where he's got three wildly different nose shapes in four panels, and none of them look on-model.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

That last page of Ganon Morbs has more snouts than Snout had, and Snout's snouts are constantly changing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I like how this woman is completely down with the idea that the stranger she just met is a chaster who's into her people sexually, but is completely dismissive of the idea that he just wants to listen to jazz music.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

With that 3/4 body view and the full 2-D head, nuMookie looks like a living hieroglyph.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Honestly my favorite part of this so far is the fact that everyone is just pretending he didn’t ask to rub her face.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I mean Snout literally, un-metaphorically hit a woman in the face with his dick, without consent, and everyone just pretended that didn't happen either.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

I like how this woman is completely down with the idea that the stranger she just met is a chaster who's into her people sexually, but is completely dismissive of the idea that he just wants to listen to jazz music.

stop making his characters sound more interesting than they are

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Staggy posted:

This got a chortle out of me

Can't wait to see Mookie's knowledge of jazz on display. I'm sure it won't be weird at all

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Staggy posted:

bless

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

This got a chortle out of me

Can't wait to see Mookie's knowledge of jazz on display. I'm sure it won't be weird at all

I'm hoping it's something along the line of Luna's review of Hobbit beer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm glad to see that Mookie's handling a black protagonist with the same respect and research he's dedicated to his deaf protagonist.

wait not glad.

horrified.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Happy Landfill posted:

"Wow, all the notes he's playing are so good!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'm sure Mookie's knowledge of Jazz approaches his skill at writing memorable heroes and villains.