Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm in the UK so don't have Google Fi, but lots of new contract deals are better than upgrade deals with the mobile operators and third party sellers. Chasing new customers but just making it worse for us who want to stick with the same ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I've got a Google Fi upgrade plan I've been using for 2 years to pay off my pixel 5a , and my upgrade offer is a pixel 7a at more monthly cost than a pixel 8.

Im gonna wait a month or so for any issues to show up then probably buy 8 and charge my company the $24 bucks a month with Device protection in case I crack the screen, to pay for it with my phone bill reimbursement since I'm on call.

I can't think of a reason to get that 7a for $26 a month...

Makes no sense

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Wendigee posted:

I've got a Google Fi upgrade plan I've been using for 2 years to pay off my pixel 5a , and my upgrade offer is a pixel 7a at more monthly cost than a pixel 8.

Im gonna wait a month or so for any issues to show up then probably buy 8 and charge my company the $24 bucks a month with Device protection in case I crack the screen, to pay for it with my phone bill reimbursement since I'm on call.

I can't think of a reason to get that 7a for $26 a month...

Makes no sense

The Pixel 8 is a far superior phone to the 7a. In the UK my friend was going to get a 7a but in fact the Pixel 7 had a better deal. Weird, but it happens.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Current contract status: Month to Month/"The new Verizon Plan Large 8 GB"

Budget (phone/plan):
We have Pixel 3A's that we're happy with but will probably upgrade early next year to new Pixels.

Current Plan is running $124/Month for Two Lines, 8GB Data, Unlimited Voice/Text. It's old and isn't offered any more.

Neither of us are Teachers/First Responders/Students/Etc

Features I know I want:
Honestly I'm just looking to see if it's possible to cut costs somewhat. Verizon's service has been fine, but we sip mobile data and mostly move between home and work where we have access to high speed wifi. Our average Monthly data usage is around 4 gb and it's mostly from streaming music during my commute.

We currently have Xfinity for Home Internet and they're offering two lines with "unlimited data" for $60 if it's bundled. Is trusting Comcast for Cell Phone Service as bad an idea as it feels like? I'm open to other carriers if service is comparable and we can save some money.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Current contract status: Month to Month/"The new Verizon Plan Large 8 GB"

Budget (phone/plan):
We have Pixel 3A's that we're happy with but will probably upgrade early next year to new Pixels.

Current Plan is running $124/Month for Two Lines, 8GB Data, Unlimited Voice/Text. It's old and isn't offered any more.

Neither of us are Teachers/First Responders/Students/Etc

Features I know I want:
Honestly I'm just looking to see if it's possible to cut costs somewhat. Verizon's service has been fine, but we sip mobile data and mostly move between home and work where we have access to high speed wifi. Our average Monthly data usage is around 4 gb and it's mostly from streaming music during my commute.

We currently have Xfinity for Home Internet and they're offering two lines with "unlimited data" for $60 if it's bundled. Is trusting Comcast for Cell Phone Service as bad an idea as it feels like? I'm open to other carriers if service is comparable and we can save some money.

Comcast piggy backs on Verizon towers, you get lower data speed and access than Verizon customers. I think there is some soft cap of 20/50GB but if you’ve been good on 8GB that won’t be an issue.

Your plan is $70 + $12 + $20 + $20 = $122 before tax , so you just be getting a work discount. No retention plans at the moment that I am aware of.

Verizon has “welcome unlimited” that is $55 + $55 = $110, but no work discount so probably about the same price. It’s possible they’ll offer you a trade in on this plan. Plan is unlimited data, data can be throttled at times if network congestion, and no mobile hotspot.

Comcast certainly will be cheaper price wise. Comcast obviously is not known for customer service, and the data speeds could be noticeable, but also you just don’t use a lot of data, so in your case it would certainly be an option to look at.

Worst case is 3-6 months later you switch back. You wouldn’t be able to get your 8Gb plan back, but unlimited is about the same as long as you don’t need mobile hotspot, which I doubt.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Duckman2008 posted:

Comcast piggy backs on Verizon towers, you get lower data speed and access than Verizon customers. I think there is some soft cap of 20/50GB but if you’ve been good on 8GB that won’t be an issue.

Your plan is $70 + $12 + $20 + $20 = $122 before tax , so you just be getting a work discount. No retention plans at the moment that I am aware of.

Verizon has “welcome unlimited” that is $55 + $55 = $110, but no work discount so probably about the same price. It’s possible they’ll offer you a trade in on this plan. Plan is unlimited data, data can be throttled at times if network congestion, and no mobile hotspot.

Comcast certainly will be cheaper price wise. Comcast obviously is not known for customer service, and the data speeds could be noticeable, but also you just don’t use a lot of data, so in your case it would certainly be an option to look at.

Worst case is 3-6 months later you switch back. You wouldn’t be able to get your 8Gb plan back, but unlimited is about the same as long as you don’t need mobile hotspot, which I doubt.

Thank you! I double checked and we're still getting a discount from a job I left a few months ago, so that will go away sometime.

I think we'll give it a try, like you say, worst case we switch back.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Thank you! I double checked and we're still getting a discount from a job I left a few months ago, so that will go away sometime.

I think we'll give it a try, like you say, worst case we switch back.

If you own your phones, or plan to buy unlocked phones, then have you considered prepaid? I'm on a grandfathered Verizon prepaid 5GB plan that now, after loyalty discounts, costs me $26.25 per month. With your usage and current plans you could be spending $70 for 2 lines with 15GB of data each: https://www.verizon.com/plans/prepaid/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you own your phones, or plan to buy unlocked phones, then have you considered prepaid? I'm on a grandfathered Verizon prepaid 5GB plan that now, after loyalty discounts, costs me $26.25 per month. With your usage and current plans you could be spending $70 for 2 lines with 15GB of data each: https://www.verizon.com/plans/prepaid/

This is a good point I didn’t think of, and just fyi to OP if you need help moving to Verizon prepaid like that, just PM me.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Has anyone looked at or has/had Spectrum for their provider? My parents have their TV service and have been thinking about changing to save money vs. Verizon.

I hear is uses Verizon's cell network so I'm not sure how that works.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chinatown posted:

Has anyone looked at or has/had Spectrum for their provider? My parents have their TV service and have been thinking about changing to save money vs. Verizon.

It’ll be cheap, main caveat is that you are last in line for data speeds.

Super depends on where you live and how often you are not at home on WiFi.

But at times of busy towers, you are def first to be slowed down. Some people legit don’t care or don’t notice. Some people def do.

Verizon has prepaid too, which gets higher data priority than spectrum, lower data priority than Verizon postpaid.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Chinatown posted:

I switched to Spectrum about a year ago. It’s fine for me but I’m a super low data user so I might not be typical.

Double check the eligibility for the cheap plan — I thought the mobile plans required you had their home internet service for the quoted prices instead of TV.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I really liked the pixel 5a but the screen has died twice now when it was dropped less than two feet in a decent case. Like black screen of death. I need it for backcountry work so the weak rear end screen isn't acceptable.

The new pixels have poo poo batteries and no aux jack. Is there a phone that's basically the pixel but has the older features that made them worth owning?

Battery, Aux jack, robust, Android. Is this asking for too much?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
An aux jack in the year 2023 is asking too much, yes. You're not going to find one on any decent phone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Outrail posted:

I really liked the pixel 5a but the screen has died twice now when it was dropped less than two feet in a decent case. Like black screen of death. I need it for backcountry work so the weak rear end screen isn't acceptable.

The new pixels have poo poo batteries and no aux jack. Is there a phone that's basically the pixel but has the older features that made them worth owning?

I can't speak to it directly yet, but apparently my next work phone is going to be a Samsung Xcover6 and from a glance at the specs it looks okay: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_xcover6_pro-11600.php

I lobbied for a Pixel but I guess we standardized on these because other people are clumsy. :shrug:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I use Spigen cases on both my Pixel 4a and my Pixel 7 and am a giant klutz who has dropped them on very hard surfaces many, many times and haven't had any damage from it.

Is the "decent case" you're using TPU?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ham Equity posted:

I use Spigen cases on both my Pixel 4a and my Pixel 7 and am a giant klutz who has dropped them on very hard surfaces many, many times and haven't had any damage from it.

Is the "decent case" you're using TPU?

I have no idea, it was pretty thick.

I've had other A series and usually it's fine, but if you drop it just the right way on a corner it'll just blackscreen. I spoke to a phone repair guy and he said it's common on the A series, 'lovely glass' or some reason.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
My partner and I both have Pixel 4a and plan on upgrading soon. She wants to get the 8 Pro and switch to Google Fi, and I'm not sure what I want to get...

Basically if you guys could talk me out of the very stupid idea of getting a flip phone, that would be appreciated. I know they're probably dumb to get right now, but they look so cool. I'll probably get the 8 Pro myself, but the allure of Shiny Gadget is strong.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

My partner and I both have Pixel 4a and plan on upgrading soon. She wants to get the 8 Pro and switch to Google Fi, and I'm not sure what I want to get...

Basically if you guys could talk me out of the very stupid idea of getting a flip phone, that would be appreciated. I know they're probably dumb to get right now, but they look so cool. I'll probably get the 8 Pro myself, but the allure of Shiny Gadget is strong.

Getting a flip phone is a very stupid idea and it is probably a dumb idea right now, even if they look so cool.

On a real note, flip phones are a “it would be nice to help scale back tech overload” that we all face, but the reality is there is too much you need a smart phone for. Like , navigation. Easy text messaging. Download tickets for a concert. Make bad posts on this dead comedy forum. All of which are basic phone can’t do.

I highly recommend leveraging do not disturb mode with a smart phone, that has started to help me not look at my phone as much. I haven’t deleted social media , but I actually have somewhat cut back and that has helped too.

8 Pro is a good choice.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Duckman2008 posted:

Getting a flip phone is a very stupid idea and it is probably a dumb idea right now, even if they look so cool.

On a real note, flip phones are a “it would be nice to help scale back tech overload” that we all face, but the reality is there is too much you need a smart phone for. Like , navigation. Easy text messaging. Download tickets for a concert. Make bad posts on this dead comedy forum. All of which are basic phone can’t do.

I highly recommend leveraging do not disturb mode with a smart phone, that has started to help me not look at my phone as much. I haven’t deleted social media , but I actually have somewhat cut back and that has helped too.

8 Pro is a good choice.

I think Momomo might be referring to folding phones rather than old school flip phones.

As someone who's owned a Fold 2, Fold 4 and Flip 3 I can say that they are fun gadgets but the Fold is only useful if you have a really specific edge case where you need a larger screen on the go but don't want to carry a phone and a tablet. The Flip is just a decent Android phone with a gimmick; I can't speak for the latest Flip, the larger front screen might make some sort of difference but I always found myself opening the Flip 3 anyway.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I can't speak to it directly yet, but apparently my next work phone is going to be a Samsung Xcover6 and from a glance at the specs it looks okay: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_xcover6_pro-11600.php

I lobbied for a Pixel but I guess we standardized on these because other people are clumsy. :shrug:

Comparison looks pretty decent tbqh.
Not sure if there's a real downside aside from android upgrade and a few bells and whistles. Batter is a little smaller but not sure how that translates to how long it'll last.

I just can't believe something as basic as '3.5 jack and decent battery' is an unreasonable ask in tyool 2023. I might just find a Pixel 5 and hope it stays relevant for a few years.

E: jfc the 5 doesn't have a jack. I'm going to get my 5a screen replaced and wrap the drat thing in duct tape and bubble wrap.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 13, 2023

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

3.5 jacks take up a fair amount of space inside of the already packed housing of a modern phone, and they’re another point of access that can interfere with water resistance. Not surprising that they’re being dropped when you consider how many people are going to ignore it in favor of Bluetooth audio anyways.

Anyways, usb-c to 3.5 dongles are cheap and easy to use. I wouldn’t make 3.5 my hill to die on.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Gonna buy Bluetooth-3.5 adapter and glue it to the back of my phone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Outrail posted:

Gonna buy Bluetooth-3.5 adapter and glue it to the back of my phone.

Just attach it using the grip tape. :pseudo:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I just can't believe something as basic as '3.5 jack and decent battery' is an unreasonable ask in tyool 2023. wrap.

Look, it took courage to remove the headphone jack, but Apple did it.

I don’t know enough (anything) on phone manufacturing to know if it did take up that much space, but for better or worse headphone jacks are long long gone. I legit don’t have Bluetooth in my car and use an adapter, honestly it’s fine.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
When Apple first eliminated the headphone jack it was proven that the space where it would have been when compared to the previous model was not used by anything else. But its removal does make the phones more water resistant, or something.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So should I switch from Android to iOS? On one hand I already have an iPad and an AppleTV and like the increased integration. I also don't care that much about integration. On the other I worry about stuff like getting passwords and passkeys locked to Apple. What do you think?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

So should I switch from Android to iOS? On one hand I already have an iPad and an AppleTV and like the increased integration. I also don't care that much about integration. On the other I worry about stuff like getting passwords and passkeys locked to Apple. What do you think?

Disclaimer that I’m a big Apple fan, but yeah, switch to team iPhone and just use 1Password for your password and keys.

Stebe welcomes you.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

I used an iPhone for work for awhile, and I cannot imagine splitting my personal stuff between the two walls gardens; it was fine with work stuff on Apple and personal stuff on Android.

I definitely chose Android, but if I wanted an iPad and Apple TV and all that, I would 100% also be using an iPhone. iMessage is also a million times better than any of the current Google messaging apps, and Apple Pay has been Apple Pay since Apple released it, without the "Google Wallet; no, Android Pay; no, Google Wallet for this, Android Pay for that; no, wait, Google Wallet" thing that Google goes through every couple of years.

The phones are more expensive, and you have fewer customization options, but since Apple finally allowed you to start using third-party keyboards and browsers, even that is less of an issue.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Long overdue to replace my Pixel 5 on a Verizon plan. Any reason why I shouldn't just go right for the Pixel 8? Have been generally happy with the last two Pixels that I've had.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Long overdue to replace my Pixel 5 on a Verizon plan. Any reason why I shouldn't just go right for the Pixel 8? Have been generally happy with the last two Pixels that I've had.

Go for the 8, I think you can qualify for a $800 trade in too. This is the direct number to sales where I used to work: (800) 256-4646

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

Go for the 8, I think you can qualify for a $800 trade in too. This is the direct number to sales where I used to work: (800) 256-4646

$800 for trading in a Pixel 5, or am I reading that wrong?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

$800 for trading in a Pixel 5, or am I reading that wrong?

Quite possibly. Call and ask what trade in promos they have. Sometimes it requires a plan change, sometimes not.

Big caveat is it’s over 36 months for the discount.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Okay, this talk about an $800 credit for a Pixel 5 trade-in made me go check, and my Pixel 4a that is no longer getting security updates is apparently also worth an $800 trade-in credit (I have Verizon). This is my work phone, and my current personal phone is a Pixel 7; if I were to trade-in, would there be anything I would need to worry about if I wanted to switch the two phones (i.e. put the new Pixel 8 or Pixel 8 Pro on my personal line, and put the old Pixel 7 on my work line)? They're both on the same account, I'm still getting the trade-in credit from my Pixel 3XL applied to the Pixel 7 (another 18 months or so left on that), work phone is on a 5G Start 1.0 plan, personal phone is on a Play More plan.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I would like some advice on this type of ebay deal https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285261824182.
I'm assuming these are grey imports, are there any problems with this kind of deal?
Would I be able to get samsung care?
I am with O2 in the UK, would they be ok with supplying a simm for this phone?
How do they get them so cheap? Is it a tax thing and would I end up paying the difference in tax?

TIA.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

Quite possibly. Call and ask what trade in promos they have. Sometimes it requires a plan change, sometimes not.

Big caveat is it’s over 36 months for the discount.

Checked online and I'd have to bump up to Unlimited Plus to get the discount, alas. Maybe I will muster up the energy later to see if it's cost-effective to do so.

What is the situation of transferring accounts/data between two devices? The charge port on my current phone is real sketchy so a wired transfer is probably a no-go. I'm guessing that we have the technical to move everything over to the new device wirelessly but should probably confirm before doing so.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 15, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Checked online and I'd have to bump up to Unlimited Plus to get the discount, alas. Maybe I will muster up the energy later to see if it's cost-effective to do so.

What is the situation of transferring accounts/data between two devices? The charge port on my current phone is real sketchy so a wired transfer is probably a no-go. I'm guessing that we have the technical to move everything over to the new device wirelessly but should probably confirm before doing so.

You should actually call the sales number because they may (or may not) have the offer on your current plan. Online doesn’t always show that.

It should all just move over via Google when you log in. Contacts, pictures and apps at least.

Ham Equity posted:

Okay, this talk about an $800 credit for a Pixel 5 trade-in made me go check, and my Pixel 4a that is no longer getting security updates is apparently also worth an $800 trade-in credit (I have Verizon). This is my work phone, and my current personal phone is a Pixel 7; if I were to trade-in, would there be anything I would need to worry about if I wanted to switch the two phones (i.e. put the new Pixel 8 or Pixel 8 Pro on my personal line, and put the old Pixel 7 on my work line)? They're both on the same account, I'm still getting the trade-in credit from my Pixel 3XL applied to the Pixel 7 (another 18 months or so left on that), work phone is on a 5G Start 1.0 plan, personal phone is on a Play More plan.

Your work technically owns the 4a. Verizon won’t care, just general fyi.

Otherwise it’s just swapping SIM cards.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Your work technically owns the 4a. Verizon won’t care, just general fyi.

Otherwise it’s just swapping SIM cards.
It's my phone, I just use it for work.

So, it looks like I have to upgrade the plan if I want to get the $800 credit (it's only $200 on my current plan). Doing the math, over the three years of payments plus the upgrade fee, it'll run me $675. I'll get $200 if I stick with the same plan, but still have to pay the $135 in upgrade fees, and have $540 in savings. I think I'm probably just going to hold off for another year or two; I don't keep anything too sensitive on my work phone, and I'll pick up something on the cheaper end next year or the year after.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Any UK goons here on idmobile? I need a new Pixel or similar and their tariffs seem really good. Any gotchas?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Following along from my earlier Pixel 8 question, anything about the Pro that I would be interested in as a smartphone "casual"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Following along from my earlier Pixel 8 question, anything about the Pro that I would be interested in as a smartphone "casual"?

Camera. If you care about the best camera get the Pro. If not, 8 should be fine.