Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Kalit posted:

Eh, being obnoxious towards a politician who is already critical of Israel's invasion and calling for a ceasefire seems like a good way to push them away from the protester's side :shrug:

It seems to me that if Warren had called for a ceasefire (she hasn't, by the way), she would have been able to respond to the protester by saying "I have already called for a ceasefire." All she has called for is a "short-term cessation of hostilities that pose high-risk to civilians." The statement that article you posted is at the link below. The word "ceasefire," which is not the same thing as a "short-term cessation of hostilities," does not appear once.

https://www.markey.senate.gov/news/press-releases/statement-of-senators-regarding-humanitarian-aid-to-civilians-in-gaza

Kalit posted:

Do you think that harassing a person over an issue where they are on the same side as you would make said person more sympathetic?

IMO, it absolutely does not and could easily build resentment over time.

They're not on the same side. The protester wants a ceasefire, which Elizabeth Warren has not publicly supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

B B posted:

It seems to me that if Warren had called for a ceasefire (she hasn't, by the way), she would have been able to respond to the protester by saying "I have already called for a ceasefire." All she has called for is a "short-term cessation of hostilities that pose high-risk to civilians." The statement that article you posted is at the link below. The word "ceasefire," which is not the same thing as a "short-term cessation of hostilities," does not appear once.

https://www.markey.senate.gov/news/press-releases/statement-of-senators-regarding-humanitarian-aid-to-civilians-in-gaza

They're not on the same side. The protester wants a ceasefire, which Elizabeth Warren has not publicly supported.

Just because they didn't use the word doesn't mean that it's not calling for a ceasefire. Which is literally what they're advocating for.

Just to be explicit, here's a definition that fits the phrase you quoted: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceasefire

quote:

A ceasefire (also known as a truce or armistice[1]), also spelled cease fire (the antonym of 'open fire'[2]), is a temporary stoppage of a war in which each side agrees with the other to suspend aggressive actions.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 10, 2023

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Kalit posted:

Just because they didn't use the word doesn't mean that it's not calling for a ceasefire. Which is literally what they're advocating for.

It isn't, actually. A brief unilateral pause in between bombings is not a ceasefire, which is why these politicians don't use the word ceasefire.

A WaPo article about these differences

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The key difference is that a ceasefire agreement would be an actual agreement and theoretically binding under internation law, like a treaty. A pause is just a pause.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

TGLT posted:

It isn't, actually. A brief unilateral pause in between bombings is not a ceasefire, which is why these politicians don't use the word ceasefire.

Fair enough, thank you for the source.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1...ber%3D4350pti35
https://twitter.com/RachelCoyleOhio/status/1723027794219667804

seems Ohio GOP isnt happy with the results.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Kalit posted:

But it's not. I looked through the press releases of Warren and Markey, and while they regularly call for aid and investigations into Israel's invasion, the closest they get to calling for a ceasefire is
https://www.markey.senate.gov/news/...-united-nations/https://www.warren.senate.gov/newsr...-united-nations

Warren, Senators Call for Humanitarian Pauses and Hostage Releases in Israel-Hamas War, Echoing United States Resolution at United Nations posted:

Israel has a right to defend its citizens after Hamas’s terrorist attacks, which have driven the region into turmoil and cost thousands of lives. The war in Gaza has become a humanitarian crisis and has claimed the lives of innocent Palestinians. As the United States put forward at the United Nations, we are calling for humanitarian pauses to allow full, rapid, safe and unhindered humanitarian assistance for civilians and the immediate, unconditional release of all remaining hostages

which critically, isn't calling for a ceasefire, just "humanitarian pauses", along the lines the US has been calling for, which specifically is not a ceasefire.

E: Took too long writing, others already addressed it but leaving this up as it's the only source I've found for what specifically Warren (and Markey) have been calling for and it might help discuss what specifically has been called for by Warren

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Main Paineframe posted:

You don't accidentally sign an ironclad, extremely binding contract. If he was just faking interest to mess with the stock price for some reason, then he wouldn't have signed an actual contract.

It is extremely clear that he genuinely wanted to buy Twitter, and then changed his mind and genuinely wanted to get out of buying Twitter. We don't know (and will likely never know) why exactly he made these decisions, but it's quite clear that he made them. There's no such thing as accidentally buying a company.

He bought a bunch of the stock, tried to manipulate the price by saying he’d buy it at 54.20, then signed the agreement after it was clear he was going to get his smacked for his public statements. It was monumentally stupid and also hilarious

They’re posturing and really want to lose in 2024 apparently.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Kalit posted:

Fair enough, thank you for the source.

Yeah the way it's framed is meant to carry the appearance of asking for a ceasefire to undercut actual calls for a ceasefire

honestly coulda just posted trudeau tripping over himself to illustrate that point
https://twitter.com/QudsNen/status/1720791043837137191

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

i am a moron posted:

They’re posturing and really want to lose in 2024 apparently.

I mean, maybe, but this reminds me of the poo poo the legislature pulled in Florida with the felon disenfranchisement which doesn't make me super positive about what the fallout will be. Especially with control over the state supreme court.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TGLT posted:

Could someone explain the meaningful difference between a "humanitarian pause" and a "ceasefire" with a link that isn't paywalled? It seems really critical to understand these terms to follow the discussion at hand.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

shimmy shimmy posted:

I mean, maybe, but this reminds me of the poo poo the legislature pulled in Florida with the felon disenfranchisement which doesn't make me super positive about what the fallout will be. Especially with control over the state supreme court.

The state Supreme Court is not in lockstep with our legislature luckily

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eiba posted:

Could someone explain the meaningful difference between a "humanitarian pause" and a "ceasefire" with a link that isn't paywalled? It seems really critical to understand these terms to follow the discussion at hand.

Relevant part of the article:

quote:

The terms “pause” and “cease-fire” might seem similar, but they have significant differences that officials have attempted to articulate throughout the conflict. Though neither has a set definition under international law, National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said on Oct. 24 that the distinction lies in the “duration and scope and size” of any cessation of combat.

A humanitarian pause is usually shorter and “focused on ideally getting aid into a certain area,” Grant Rumley, a former Pentagon official now at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, said in an interview. A cease-fire is “typically a result of negotiations sponsored or facilitated by a third party,” he said, and “can last indefinitely so long as both sides of the conflict adhere to it.”

The U.N. General Assembly adopted a resolution Oct. 27 that called for an “immediate, durable and sustained humanitarian truce leading to a cessation of hostilities.” There were 120 votes in favor and 14 against, including the United States, plus 45 abstentions.

When U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken visited Tel Aviv last week, he encouraged Israel to institute pauses in fighting to allow for the safe delivery of aid into Gaza and to help negotiate the release of hostages. President Biden, several members of Congress and many of the United States’ allies, including the European Union, Australia and Canada, have made similar calls for humanitarian pauses.

For some, this is not enough. U.N. Secretary General António Guterres has repeatedly called for “a humanitarian cease-fire,” a plea that a coalition of U.N. agencies and NGOs reiterated Monday in a rare joint statement. When protesters took to the streets of Washington over the weekend, many carried signs emblazoned with the words “cease-fire now.” And during a Saturday meeting with Blinken, Arab leaders pressed for an immediate cease-fire.

So it looks like "humanitarian pause" is when you stop shooting just long enough to allow emergency medical care to happen and civilians trapped in the combat zone to be stabilized, then start shooting again. A "ceasefire" is when hostilities stop and stay stopped until some provocation starts them up again

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

BUUNNI posted:

I don’t think union members will matter electorally as much as people think they will. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to see an octogenarian conservative white guy putting on a UAW jacket for a photo op but union membership rates still are nowhere close to the numbers the US used to have just a few decades ago. I think we’re roughly back to where we were in 2020.

That’s a pretty disingenuous y axis. In just 23 years union membership has plummeted from a stratospheric 16.3 million to a near-zero level of 14.3 million. If this trend continues (instead of the current rising trend) unions will be extinct in only 140 years.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kalit posted:

Do you think that harassing a person over an issue where they are on the same side as you would make said person more sympathetic?

IMO, it absolutely does not and could easily build resentment over time.

I've got to ask, what's your feelings on this now that you've learned the difference? I mean, can't the same thing still apply? Shes halfway to what the protesters want so won't they still just build up resentment and keep her from calling for a ceasefire?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Eiba posted:

It's like how if you "declare war" you need Congress to do it and you're bound by international agreements, but if it's a "special military action" then lol.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

I've got to ask, what's your feelings on this now that you've learned the difference? I mean, can't the same thing still apply? Shes halfway to what the protesters want so won't they still just build up resentment and keep her from calling for a ceasefire?

Eh, I still think ambushing politicians in public while they're not working and just trying to live their own life isn't very productive.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kalit posted:

Eh, I still think ambushing politicians in public while they're not working and just trying to live their own life isn't very productive.

I mean it would make more sense if it were, like, Joe Manchin. But I'm not gonna sit here and judge someone on strategy when they just had sixty eight family members murdered.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eiba posted:

The distinction is murky, but typically a ceasefire is an agreement to stop the fighting so that the two sides can engage in negotiations for a more detailed agreement of some sort (such as a more permanent peace deal), while a "humanitarian pause" simply puts the fighting on pause for a few days to give the civilian population an opportunity to receive aid or flee the warzone.

The difference is that ceasefires often last quite a while and are usually meant to be the first step toward a longer-term cessation of hostilities, while a humanitarian pause is very short-term and comes with the clear intention to resume hostilities afterward.

As the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs puts it:

quote:

Glossary of Terms: Pauses During Conflict
During conflict, parties might agree to a pause in fighting to allow life-saving assistance to
reach civilians or to carry out peace talks. It is important to differentiate between these
scenarios, particularly between pauses purely for humanitarian purposes and those agreed
as part of a political process.

Ceasefire
A suspension of fighting agreed upon by the parties to a conflict, typically as part of a political process. It is intended to be long-term and often covers the entire geographic area of the conflict. Its aim is usually to allow parties to engage in dialogue, including the possibility of reaching a permanent political settlement.

Cessation of hostilities
The suspension of active hostilities intended to allow parties to take a break from fighting for various reasons, including as a step towards political dialogue and a sustained ceasefire.

Temporary cessation of hostilities
A suspension of fighting agreed upon by all relevant parties for a specific period. It may be undertaken for various reasons, including for humanitarian purposes. In such cases, the agreement identifies the geographic area of operations and the period during which specific humanitarian activities will be carried out.

Humanitarian pause
A temporary cessation of hostilities purely for humanitarian purposes. Requiring the agreement of all relevant parties, it is usually for a defined period and specific geographic area where the humanitarian activities are to be carried out.

Humanitarian corridor
Specific routes and logistical methods agreed upon by all relevant parties to allow the safe passage of humanitarian goods and/or people from one point to another in an area of active fighting.

Days of tranquillity
A mechanism used primarily by UNICEF, often in collaboration with WHO, to enable children to have access to health care during conflict, for example to undertake national immunization campaigns or other exclusively humanitarian activities. Days of tranquillity require the agreement of all relevant parties to grant access to and not interfere with the work of medical and other personnel during the designated days.

De-confliction arrangements
The exchange of logistical information between humanitarian actors and parties to conflict to coordinate the time and locations of relief activities. Such arrangements ensure military operations do not jeopardize the lives of humanitarian personnel, impede the passage of relief supplies or implementation of humanitarian activities, or endanger beneficiaries.

As you can see, a ceasefire is usually expected to be the start of a long-term peaceful period, shifting the arena from politics and negotiations, while a humanitarian pause is typically expected to be nothing more than a temporary halt in the fighting.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kalit posted:

What would be? What are the available alternatives to push politicians into calling for cease fire?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean it would make more sense if it were, like, Joe Manchin. But I'm not gonna sit here and judge someone on strategy when they just had sixty eight family members murdered.

Why would Joe be more sympathetic and not also pushed away?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Thanks for the clarifications!

So calling for a ceasefire is understood to be calling for a meaningful and somewhat formal end to the conflict, rather than the colloquial understanding of just a pause for any reason? If so I understand more why politicians are very reluctant to use that particular word.

Harassing an otherwise sympathetic politician over that particular distinction seems really justifiable.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Edit: Oh poo poo, missed it above Israel chat, disregard

Nov 10, 2023
34 days of ferverent interest and counting

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
"I know 68 of your family members have been butchered in an active genocide but you're being really rude"

Nov 10, 2023
"you're being rude in regards to my imaginary war"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Republican Party, locked in a struggle to the death with their sworn enemies, The Republican Party.

Kalit posted:

If politicians were conscripted, maybe. These people chose to take positions of power, this is part of the cost.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 10, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/NewsWire_US/sta...%5Es1_&ref_url=
speaking of fun. how long before the chuds call for his head.

Edit; put correct link

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 10, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

It is extremely clear that he genuinely wanted to buy Twitter, and then changed his mind and genuinely wanted to get out of buying Twitter. We don't know (and will likely never know) why exactly he made these decisions

It's drugs OP.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

The Artificial Kid posted:

That’s a pretty disingenuous y axis. In just 23 years union membership has plummeted from a stratospheric 16.3 million to a near-zero level of 14.3 million. If this trend continues (instead of the current rising trend) unions will be extinct in only 140 years.

That’s why I posted the second graph showing the same trend for the past 40+ years :v:

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

BUUNNI posted:

That’s why I posted the second graph showing the same trend for the past 40+ years :v:

The thrust of your post seemed to be that unions don't matter as a voting block because their membership has been dropping over 40 years, but could you explain why the change matters for today's elections?

Drop in membership is a problem for basing your electoral strategy on them long term, but when you're talking about an election in a year, the only thing that matters is how big a portion of the electorate they are in a year. White people have dropped as a portion of the US population by about 10% over the last decade, but no effective election strategy is going to say that demographic doesn't matter.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kalit posted:

If anything, this should increase. Politicians should not be insulated from the effects of their job simply because they aren't on the clock.

If they don't want to be ambushed over their lovely opinions and goals, they should get better ones.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/NewsWire_US/sta...%5Es1_&ref_url=
speaking of fun. how long before the chuds call for his head.

Edit; put correct link

hes already breaking down over SNAP funding in the agriculture bill which is the easiest of the 12 government funding bills he insisted on splitting the omnibus into.

when theyre like 2 weeks into the shutdown he will either cut a deal with democrats that gets him ejected or more likely have the moderates cut a deal without him to stop being embarrassed by looking incompentent AGAIN which also gets him ejected

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

haveblue posted:

I buy that announcing he wanted to buy it was the result of stupidity and chemical assistance, but at least several days passed between the tweets to that effect and his actual signing of a binding contract, he can't have stayed that high for the entire duration

oh no a rich man cant possibly be stupid

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

It's drugs OP.

also admin access to the DMs of grimes, the NB kid he hates, grimes, his posting enemies, and grimes.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://x.com/CNN/status/1723084717740663196?s=20

Oh Mayor Adams...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/danarubinstein/status/1723075214211211623

Now I don't want to shock you all but this Eric Adams fellow might not be on the level.

We might see someone actually exceed Trump levels of lying here

quote:

The devices — at least two cellphones and an iPad — were returned to the mayor within a matter of days, according to that person and another person familiar with the situation. Law enforcement investigators with a search warrant can make copies of the data on devices after they seize them.

A lawyer for Mr. Adams and his campaign said in a statement that the mayor was cooperating with federal authorities, and had already “proactively reported” at least one instance of improper behavior.

“After learning of the federal investigation, it was discovered that an individual had recently acted improperly,” said the lawyer, Boyd Johnson. “In the spirit of transparency and cooperation, this behavior was immediately and proactively reported to investigators.”

quote:

Mr. Adams, in his own statement, said that “as a former member of law enforcement, I expect all members of my staff to follow the law and fully cooperate with any sort of investigation — and I will continue to do exactly that.” He added that he had “nothing to hide.”

The surprise seizure of Mr. Adams’s devices was an extraordinary development and appeared to be the first direct instance of the campaign contribution investigation touching the mayor. Mr. Adams, a retired police captain, said on Wednesday that he is so strident in urging his staff to “follow the law” that he can be almost “annoying.” He laughed at the notion that he had any potential criminal exposure.

quote:

The federal investigation into Mr. Adams’s campaign burst into public view on Nov. 2, when F.B.I. agents searched the home of the mayor’s chief fund-raiser and seized two laptop computers, three iPhones and a manila folder labeled “Eric Adams.”

The fund-raiser, a 25-year-old former intern named Brianna Suggs, has not spoken publicly since the raid.

Mr. Adams responded to news of the raid by abruptly returning from Washington, D.C., where he had only just arrived for a day of meetings with White House and congressional leaders regarding the migrant influx, an issue he has said threatens to “destroy New York City.”

On Wednesday, he said his abrupt return was driven by his desire to be present for his team, and out of concern for Ms. Suggs, who he said had gone through a “traumatic experience.”

“Although I am mayor, I have not stopped being a man and a human,” he said.

But he also said he did not speak with Ms. Suggs on the day of the raid, to avoid any appearance of interfering in an ongoing investigation.

I'm sure the mere proximity of Hizzoner in NYC was a balm. The case looks like it involves shady dealings involving the Turkish government:

quote:

The warrant obtained by the F.B.I. to search Ms. Suggs’s home sought evidence of a conspiracy to violate campaign finance law between members of Mr. Adams’s campaign, the Turkish government or Turkish nationals, and a Brooklyn-based construction company, KSK Construction, whose owners are originally from Turkey. The warrant also sought records about donations from Bay Atlantic University, a Washington, D.C., college whose founder is Turkish and is affiliated with a school Mr. Adams visited when he went to Turkey as Brooklyn borough president in 2015.

The warrant, reviewed by The New York Times, indicated authorities were looking at whether the Turkish government or Turkish nationals funneled donations to Mr. Adams using a so-called straw donor scheme, in which the contributors listed were not the actual source of the money. The warrant also inquired about Mr. Adams’s campaign’s use of New York City’s generous public matching program, in which New York City offers an eight-to-one match of the first $250 of a resident’s donation.

Going forward the mayor of NYC should be appointed by the state legislature, the NYC electorate cannot be trusted to look after itself.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The purpose of confronting a politician in public is not to change their mind directly. It's to film the confrontation and attack them over it, either to undermine them generally on behalf of a third party or to sway them by threatening their reputation with their constituency. The other reason for such events is to use the coverage to raise attention and funding for yourself, both off of participants and the audience you're broadcasting it to.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
De Blasio: ‘Well, Well, Well, Not So Easy To Find A Mayor That Doesn’t Suck poo poo, Huh?’

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I said immediately when Adams won that New Yorkers would be begging to have DeBlasio back and while that article's a joke, I think most of them would agree now

Adams has had one of the more bizarre terms as mayor and most of the time when I see him making public statements they sound like some Republican's typical language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/danarubinstein/status/1723075214211211623

Now I don't want to shock you all but this Eric Adams fellow might not be on the level.

We might see someone actually exceed Trump levels of lying here

I'm sure the mere proximity of Hizzoner in NYC was a balm. The case looks like it involves shady dealings involving the Turkish government:

Going forward the mayor of NYC should be appointed by the state legislature, the NYC electorate cannot be trusted to look after itself.

It's not even really the Turkish government. It's a lovely for profit university https://bau.edu.tr

Btw their Wikipedia is so obviously written by them
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bah%E7eşehir_University

quote:

The university is one of the few universities in Turkey which has its lectures in English and therefore students applying to BAU are required to have high English proficiency.
Both are utterly false