Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They currently have the best offense in the league at getting chances from the best spots, and the worst at scoring on them.

The goaltending is very bad too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I still don't know what any of this means.

you don't know what save percentage is?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Retire Jagr league-wide

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

th3t00t posted:

This confirms that the NHL is the dumbest league in history. How are they this dumb?

For curiosity's sake, I timed how long after each player had last touched the puck before they were hit. Used the stop watch feature on my phone, so this is super scientific and accurate. :science:

2 samples each
Hughes 1.96, 2.16 seconds
Kaberele 1.11, 1.28 seconds

I'd say after not touching the puck for 1 second you're no longer in possession, and even that feels long. But the NHL surely knows better by leaving possession as is.

Can you imagine a defensive lineman blowing up a quarterback a full 2 seconds after a throw and it being legal? LMAO

1-2 seconds is an eternity in professional sports.

Yeah, it’s a weird rule, especially because they use the rulebook when citing suspensions and other stuff. I would imagine the competition committee has talked about it because there are so many little exceptions like the Colton-Hughes play. You can’t have guys purposefully not touching the puck to draw a penalty. There’s gamesmanship that happens in MMA around that with knees to a downed opponent. In some jurisdictions, you’re considered downed if your hand is on the ground, so guys will try to bait fouls by keeping their hand down. Everyone hates that.

The simplest answer is yeah, there’s a lot of dumb/inconsistent stuff from the league. Attempting to give them credit, I would say it’s probably a really hard rule to actually write with a lot of exceptions. You’d have to call out stuff like “when two guys are going into the corner and getting a puck, it’s not interference to initiate body contact with no possession”. Instead, they rely on rule education videos and sessions that they share with the teams but not with the fans. Probably so they get less criticized when they inevitably break their case law by not suspending a guy despite them having called out that play in a video.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Aye Doc posted:

you don't know what save percentage is?

Honestly with all that poo poo in the tweet I wasn't sure what I was looking at.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

sitting there with a stopwatch is kind of missing the point that it is a dumb play to coast into the boards and dare your opponent to guess whether you will or will not play the puck. it was certainly boarding, calling it interference because someone decided to put on the brakes instead of touch the puck doesn't happen in any league.
You think it's not interference to hit a guy a full 2 seconds after he last touched the puck? How late does a hit have to be for it to be interference for you?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Oh hell yes

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

th3t00t posted:

You think it's not interference to hit a guy a full 2 seconds after he last touched the puck? How late does a hit have to be for it to be interference for you?

nah, what I mean is that nothing Hughes did before heading towards the end boards actually affects that call -- they'd call it the same way even if he'd never had possession, because they consider him a legal target when a puck battle is imminent between two players racing for the puck. can you find that exception written in the rulebook? nope. but it's not just an NHL thing, it's pretty uniform.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah well in case the subtext was blurry I'm continually pretty pissed off about hockey culture in general and don't like feeling uncomfortable watching the sport at all. But I will drop it as per popular request.

I mean, I like this post. Solidarity amongst hockey comrades. :unsmith:

Hockey culture made my passion for the sport plummet in the mid-10s. For years it's been looking at scores and standings on google, checking out the social media folks who curate neat/funny moments, and relying on SAS threads to stay abreast of the finer details.

It takes a plethora of persistent problems to cause a life-long Montréaler to stop consuming your product in a way that earns you revenue. Bravo NHL.

Carver posted:

Look, you have no idea how genuinely sorry I am that the Edmonton Oilers just didn't turn out to be what you wanted them to be.

They didn't turn out to be what any of us wanted them to be when we welcomed them back in this business; gave them a second chance.

It just. Didn't. Work out.

I gotta say that I truly love that wrestling promo references are so commonplace across so many sub-forums.

The internet may have enabled the enshittification of everything that was one good, but at least this place is hanging in there as an oasis for good folks.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 10, 2023

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Matt Zerella posted:

Honestly with all that poo poo in the tweet I wasn't sure what I was looking at.
Same. I saw "SV%" and I kinda thought it might be save percentage but then I thought it might be some new fancystat like "shot valuation" or "snipe variety" and didn't want to assume anything.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Matt Zerella posted:

I still don't know what any of this means.

First four are the stats which would substantiate the take that "thus far, the Oilers are top-4 or better at generating shots, scoring chances, and high-danger looks, which adds up to them being #1 in expected goals for".

Second batch is "unfortunately their shooting percentage is woeful, thus their actuals goals for is anemic. Oh, also their goaltending has been absolute poo poo. And PDO is essentially luck/skill at shooting and luck/skill at saving combined, so yeah that value is atrocious!"

Unspoken is the idea that they're attempting to explain why the team looks like rear end thus far, but at least the offense could sort itself out without major changes.

The defense and goaltending however...

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya he's definitely still hurt. He missed a few shifts a couple games ago and once in a while he grabs at his side.

He still was blowing by the pathetic Sharks D last night, just couldn't get one past Blackwood who had one of his best games last night as well.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

CBJSprague24 posted:

This feels like one of those scenarios where a team that goes winless finally breaks through and rockets their way to Bettman .500 for some reason.
Have you seen the SJS roster? There is basically 0 chance of this scenario.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the Oilers losing to the Sharks is very funny, but we cannot allow Edmonton to squander the career of another 1st overall pick, so they need to get better

Ideally, the rest of his career will be squandered or not somewhere else.

Misanthrope posted:

Watching that awful (and at the same time awesome) game last night, McDavid has to be hurt.

Rushing him back for that toilet bowl of a heritage "classic" probably wasn't the greatest idea
I've thought this ever since he came back. Just hasn't been playing or producing like himself. McDavid seems like the type of dumb that wouldn't need to be rushed back - he'd force his way onto the ice with some ailment for the good of the team etc etc

This is pretty impressive, tbh.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Habibi posted:

Have you seen the SJS roster? There is basically 0 chance of this scenario.

Yeah, the last thing they need is a post hairdryer Vegas team

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Personally I think we should do a league wide Jagr jersey retirement like Gretzky - I can't think of a dude who's probably more deserving of the honour

It won't happen though cus it's gonna take some miracle on ice poo poo to do that again

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
They should retire his jersey for all the teams he played for, which is almost a third of the league

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

trilljester posted:

He still was blowing by the pathetic Sharks D last night, just couldn't get one past Blackwood who had one of his best games last night as well.

He seems to skate in straight lines ok but he isn't pivoting like he normally can and his shot isn't very good probably cause he can't step and pivot onto one leg or the other the way he needs to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

CF% is Corsi For Percentage. We all know that one; "Who took the most shots no matter what the end result was?"
SCF% is Scoring Chances For Percentage. We are now asking "Okay they took the most shots but were they good shots?"
HDCF% is High Danger Chances For Percentage. We are now asking "Okay they took the most shots, but were they good shots?" but with an accent.
xGF% is Expected Goals For Percentage. You're going to want to sit down for this one: We are now asking "Okay they took the most shots, but were they good shots?"

They're ranked very highly in all 4 which means the Oilers are the best team in the league right now at getting in the right spots and getting the shots off.

The other 4 are ones everyone knows and they say that the Oilers are the worst team in the league, and also the world.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

He seems to skate in straight lines ok but he isn't pivoting like he normally can and his shot isn't very good probably cause he can't step and pivot onto one leg or the other the way he needs to.

Sounds exactly like a guy carrying a hip or abdominal muscle injury

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Too bad the oilers don't play in the CHL. The Corsi Hockey League.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno if the Pens played particularly great against LA or Anaheim but they're (for the most part) forechecking more intelligently and not giving up an airport runway worth of space in the neutral zone.

I hope this is a thing and not just a small blip of deploying a smarter forecheck.

Pens played really well last night, the Rust "double" goal was hilarious.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

MaoistBanker posted:

Pens played really well last night, the Rust "double" goal was hilarious.

His celebration was pretty good. Signaling goal for himself.

Imo the Kings outplayed them by at least a little bit but I'm happy to get those two points.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Ginette Reno posted:

His celebration was pretty good. Signaling goal for himself.

Imo the Kings outplayed them by at least a little bit but I'm happy to get those two points.

Crazy how nearly all of the shakiest Kings performances this year have been at home. On the road they have been machines.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
68 getting retired in Pittsburgh is 100% deserved.

The only reason it took so long is they wanted to be sure he didn't try another comeback. :lol:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/1723043250376720671

Patty's gonna try to run Andersson and go right back on IR, isn't he?

(Vincent definitely needs to roll out an old-school punchmans (somebody)-Voronkov-Olivier line for that one.)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Not sure continuing to throw out Brendan Smith and his 33% xGF is the play tbh

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Devils are a wildly inconsistent team this year huh?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Devils are a wildly inconsistent team this year huh?

Going from Hughes to McLeod as your 1C will do that to a team

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Absolutely filthy passing from Skinner and TAGE to set up Peterka for this goal

https://twitter.com/sabresplays/status/1723162339476725771?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Edit: the Sabres are in 6th place in the Atlantic but only one point behind the 3rd place team and two behind the 2nd place team. The early season is pretty wild.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 11, 2023

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://x.com/reporterchris/status/1723195883779453220?s=20

Eww

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Better than Klingberg?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Better than Klingberg?

Right now, obviously yes, and it’s pretty much the only way to make the salary work without cutting bait on Samsonov or some sort of retention scheme. But the Leafs kinda need Klingberg to work out, there aren’t any shooting threats or playmakers outside of Rielly on the back end. Adding Zadorov is more “sandpaper” but not a lot of needle moving imo.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
zadorov is coming to vancouver.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I still have vague hopes for Timmins. He's not a slick puckhandling wizard but he can pass the puck pretty well without being a liability. Unfortunately he may just be perpetually broken.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
The Sharks are back, baby.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Connor Clifton is absolutely atrocious. How did Boston make him look even remotely serviceable

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Sabres won but looked really not good doing it? Levi looked good though

CF% 40.74%, 80-55
SF% 41.67%, 35-25
SCF% 27.14%, 51-19
HDCF% 28.13%, 23-9
xGF% 30.84%, 4.74.-2.11

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

I don't even know what he's valued at... But I do know he's big, he hits people and GMs are pretty stupid!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/dashinthepark/status/1723172778784985164

Jesus Christ Paul Coffey lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If I was told I'm fired after the trip I just wouldn't show up. What are they gonna do?