Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

About to build a AMD Ryzen 5 7600X / B650-A / 3060Ti PC, are there any benefits going with Win11 now or will Win10 do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

spookygonk posted:

About to build a AMD Ryzen 5 7600X / B650-A / 3060Ti PC, are there any benefits going with Win11 now or will Win10 do?

Windows 10 is now basically in maintenance mode until its end of life in 2025. Windows 11 will continue to be updated and at this point there is little reason to avoid it. The most egregiously dumb decisions, such as to ship the initial 11 release without taskbar drag and drop functionality, have mostly been addressed.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

A bunch of newer features, better hardware support, a lot of UI improvements. An OS you won't need to upgrade to in around two years since 10's EOL has already been announced. Auto HDR, DX12 ultimate, better versions of WSL/WSA (the linux/android integration), Copilot if you're into AI stuff, better multi-monitor support, tabbed file explorer, task manager with search, End task option when right clicking on a start menu app.

Other than that, it's pretty similar to Windows 10. It's stable now and has been for quite some time, so really the question should be are there any pressing reasons for not installing Windows 11 on a fresh PC?

Pretty much most of the perceived problems I've had people come to me with can be fixed with a combination of StartAllBack/Start11 for the start menu/taskbar, a registry tweak to go back to the old right-click menu, and EarTrumpet for its much better volume options.

The improved OneDrive integration is a lot more divisive, but I literally just "upgraded" my father's laptop by signing into the outlook account I made for him on the new laptop, running a winget script to install a bunch of apps and letting his old stuff and edge bookmarks sync automatically.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Thanks. Will get 11 home/pro off SAMart.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

So my hardware upgrade went well after a 2nd trip to microcenter to replace a bunk cpu, system booted right up and I was able to upgrade to 11 no problems.

Everything seems to be running fine, what are your thoughts on reloading windows after a hardware refresh? I've been running this installation for the past 2 motherboards, so basically 2015ish when W10 first came out, which honestly blows my mind - I remember reloading windows at every other LAN party back in the day.

Also re: telemetry etc, what's the hot poo poo to turn off all the stuff? I saw DoNotSpy11 mentioned somewhere.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shredder posted:

So my hardware upgrade went well after a 2nd trip to microcenter to replace a bunk cpu, system booted right up and I was able to upgrade to 11 no problems.

Everything seems to be running fine, what are your thoughts on reloading windows after a hardware refresh? I've been running this installation for the past 2 motherboards, so basically 2015ish when W10 first came out, which honestly blows my mind - I remember reloading windows at every other LAN party back in the day.

Windows handles major hardware changes extremely well, even major platform stuff like switching between AMD & Intel. The biggest problem used to be storage drivers, but those are now so standardized that unless you have some unusual hardware or are doing mobo raid (don't do mobo raid) it's no problem.

One of the big reasons you don't need complete reinstalls all the time is that 10* basically did an OS-level reinstall every time you get the major updates, which used to be twice a year. IMO 10 was actually worse than 7 at staying functional, but the major update thing was really good as fixing anything that broke.

* and 11, maybe 8 but I didn't use 8 so I dunno

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Immutable windows when?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Last Chance posted:

Immutable windows when?

I mean, macOS added the Sealed System Volume thing years ago…

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I finally upgraded from 10 to 11, and it solved an annoying issue with my monitors going to sleep. Updated Open Shell to make it work with 11 properly, and it works pretty well.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Is there a way to avoid the black screen that happens when you open what I think is called an HDCP handshake?

Some A/V apps like Apple Music PC and Netflix cause this black screen.

Netflix is bull in a china shop status, if it's open I can't even open a youtube video without it erroring, for example. It locks the system down in some way.

What the hell is going on here with the black screen flicker and can it be stopped?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I know MS made it easy to upgrade for a couple of versions by just making 7 Pro keys work for 10. Is there a legit way to go from 11 Home to 11 Pro similarly, or even downgrading to 10 Pro as an intermediate and upgrading? Or do I just have to buy a legit key and upgrade?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GWBBQ posted:

I know MS made it easy to upgrade for a couple of versions by just making 7 Pro keys work for 10. Is there a legit way to go from 11 Home to 11 Pro similarly, or even downgrading to 10 Pro as an intermediate and upgrading? Or do I just have to buy a legit key and upgrade?

You can just upgrade in the activation settings with a Pro key. You can get those for about $20 from Brownthunder or Lodge North in SA-Mart.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/1915961/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-11-home-to-pro.html
As seen in the article you can also pay Microsoft $99 for the upgrade in the windows store.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Rexxed posted:

You can just upgrade in the activation settings with a Pro key. You can get those for about $20 from Brownthunder or Lodge North in SA-Mart.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/1915961/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-11-home-to-pro.html
As seen in the article you can also pay Microsoft $99 for the upgrade in the windows store.
Thanks, I figured as much but wanted to check since you can still activate 10 Pro or downgrade 11 to it using a license for 7. Are the generic license keys for people who have MPP or are running KMS systems and want to test a particular version Pro for 10 days before putting them into production?

Also, is upgrading 11 to Pro as simple as putting in the new activation key through settings or command line?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

GWBBQ posted:

Also, is upgrading 11 to Pro as simple as putting in the new activation key through settings or command line?

Yup. I've done it remotely before. You will have a reboot to do though.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Taima posted:

Is there a way to avoid the black screen that happens when you open what I think is called an HDCP handshake?

Some A/V apps like Apple Music PC and Netflix cause this black screen.

Netflix is bull in a china shop status, if it's open I can't even open a youtube video without it erroring, for example. It locks the system down in some way.

What the hell is going on here with the black screen flicker and can it be stopped?

Never heard of this outside of refresh rate or resolution switching/scaling. Are you running some bonkers widescreen poo poo? Are you fullscreening these apps or does it happen as soon as you open an app? Sometimes you can override resolution scaling/switching from the graphics driver control panel so it keeps your current res but gives you black bars.

I'm kinda flailing maybe someone else has an idea

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've definitely had the Netflix website completely blank out all my screens before. It doesn't happen often or reliably, and it goes away after a minute or so. hosed if I know why (which I know is super helpful)

Netflix is also the only streaming site that will throw a fit if I have it open in more than one browser window at a time. (Which I am aware is a silly thing to do but sometimes I have a paused show on one virtual desktop and open another window to watch something else without swapping desktops.) So it might just be that Netflix is poo poo these days.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Cool! Any similarities in yall's browser setup? Are you running at high refresh/res settings? Do you have netflix 4k? Do you notice your monitor's lights flash when it happens? Does sound persist? Maybe you can help this other poster by comparing. I run Vivaldi on Win 11, 1080ti, 1080 pixels res.

I definitely remember Netflix's lovely era during and right after Silverlight was required. A lot of times back then you'd have to reload or update chrome://plugins or chrome://components (firefox has it too) something to get persistent issues cleared. I think that's of the past though. Widevine is the component responsible for all your video dhcp hcpc hdcp poo poo nowadays and can be updated from chrome://components IIRC. Graphics drivers and browser versions obviously update as well. Disable your lovely extensions blah blah blah

I'm seriously spitballing here but bad HDMI/DP cables can do poo poo like this too. Long cables too.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Are you using a gsync monitor? I had the same problem when I was still using an Nvidia card and gsync on my monitor, and it went away completely when I switched to amd and started using freesync instead on the same screen. Same cables and all. For me the Tarkov launcher triggered it now than anything but it was always somewhat inconsistent.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Is there any reason why having two active storage pools (both 2-way mirrors) would drastically be increasing boot time in W11?

I went and checked in BIOS, and it's still solely pointing towards my main boot SSD that isn't connected to Storage Spaces in any way. And yet, I get to sit and stare at a black screen for a minute every morning, ever since I started using Storage Spaces.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

doctorfrog posted:

I've known about Open-Shell for years, but this post got me to finally try it. It's great, I have a nice minimal start menu, and I can pick custom colors for the taskbar and taskbar text. Nice! Still going to mostly use Keyperinha for launching and file browsing, but this thing is a sight for sore eyes.

openshell misuse update

Man, I miss the shell customization craze of the early 00's.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

doctorfrog posted:

openshell misuse update

Man, I miss the shell customization craze of the early 00's.

Wow, I love it

I use a plain aero style start menu, but I find myself strangely taken by this creation

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
One of those menus that I love to look at but couldn't use myself. I admire the work, though!!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Windows 11 23H2 is now available via the Media Creation Tool. A strange release story altogether.

I installed the latest download from it as a complete reformat and it's pretty much up to date as-is. Can't be said enough how much more a pleasant experience this is compared with Windows 8 and before.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My guess is the answer's "no", but maybe I'll be lucky: is there a way to change the location of Windows's notifications? Them overlapping the clock and system tray is maddening when I'm trying to interact with either of those.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've submitted to the feedback hub several times but I cannot loving stand when you expand the tray and a notification toast covers the tray icons or any context menus you've opened.

I was using paint yesterday and something very strange was going on, almost like phantom mouse input, where I was adding text and all of a sudden most of it would disappear as if I'd highlighted a bunch of it mid-typing. Also couldn't seem to highlight text and change the font size, I'd always lose the selection when I clicked on the toolbar. And then if I was using background fill for the text, it would sometimes work, and then later the checkbox for that as well as the actual fill itself in the text box would just blink repeatedly.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 217 days!)

I just ordered a handful of 11 Pro laptops for work. Imagine my delight when I powered the first one on and it demanded to be setup with either a domain, or a microsoft outlook/hotmail account. With 10, this only happened with Home. Is this normal, or did Dell possibly image these wrong?

They arrived minutes before we left for Thanksgiving, so I haven't even seen the desktop yet; I'm hoping I wasn't sent home by mistake.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

West SAAB Story posted:

I just ordered a handful of 11 Pro laptops for work. Imagine my delight when I powered the first one on and it demanded to be setup with either a domain, or a microsoft outlook/hotmail account. With 10, this only happened with Home. Is this normal, or did Dell possibly image these wrong?

They arrived minutes before we left for Thanksgiving, so I haven't even seen the desktop yet; I'm hoping I wasn't sent home by mistake.
Microsoft downgraded the Pro tier with that poo poo. This says Windows 11 Pro since 22H2.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

West SAAB Story posted:

MS wants all Windows 11 installs to have a Microsoft account. There's workarounds to make a local account like:
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/install-windows-11-without-microsoft-account

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's for work you should really be Azure AD joining them, you have to manage those endpoints somehow. Unless you're building things out as appliances in which case I guess an IoT SKU would be the better choice.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 217 days!)

Flipperwaldt posted:

Microsoft downgraded the Pro tier with that poo poo. This says Windows 11 Pro since 22H2.

Ugh. I hate 11 even more now.

Thanks Ants posted:

If it's for work you should really be Azure AD joining them, you have to manage those endpoints somehow. Unless you're building things out as appliances in which case I guess an IoT SKU would be the better choice.

These are all hybrid office/home/road warrior laptops with different needs that evolve every other grant. Since I'm a non-profit, I don't have money for infrastructure often, and you'd be surprised to see how rarely that includes things that make my life easier.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

West SAAB Story posted:

These are all hybrid office/home/road warrior laptops with different needs that evolve every other grant. Since I'm a non-profit, I don't have money for infrastructure often, and you'd be surprised to see how rarely that includes things that make my life easier.

Azure AD joined devices would help you a lot. You should reach out to Microsoft, they have a number of programs and services for non-profits that range from free to discounts of up to 90%, and there are sometimes even grants for certain types of non-profit.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm sure glad Microsoft is adding ChatGPT support to their new terminal.

/s

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

broke: executing commands copy pasted from the internet as root without reading them first

woke: executing commands generated by an ML model as root without reading them first

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft are all in on that bandwagon, they've renamed the partner programme to "Cloud and AI Partner", and it's probably going to go the same way as Windows Phone, Surface Duo, Zune, Cortana etc.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

repiv posted:

woke: executing commands generated by an ML model as root without reading them first
Not coding related, but yesterday I toyed around with ChatGPT on Bing some more (assuming it's GPT 4, which it may or may not be), and asked it to tell me the title of some electronic pop song by describing the music video loosely. The response was a quote of an artist and song title, mentioning it's electronic pop and describes the music video back to me in more and added detail. Latter which was actually correct. However the quoted artist made country music and the song title was completely made up. I found it kind of hilarious that the added detail to the music video description seemed accurate, but then made up complete poo poo.

I can't understand how people trust this stuff for coding and such (i.e. Github Copilot). I wholly expect that projects, which make extensive use of it to speed up writing of boilerplate code (or even try to optimize simpler algorithms with it), will end up with a shitload of obscure bugs.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

Microsoft are all in on that bandwagon, they've renamed the partner programme to "Cloud and AI Partner", and it's probably going to go the same way as Windows Phone, Surface Duo, Zune, Cortana etc.

If I recall, their Azure org is called Cloud + AI, and that's at least 3-4 years old. MSFT's been hard on the AI train for a long time, but it used to be much more restrained and sane stuff around targeted ML models, before LLMs became such an overnight big deal.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Does Tiny11 2311 use fewer resources than regular 11 or does just take up less disk space by default?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
If you don't want to use the Brand New Microsoft Photo Viewer™ as your one and only way to view photos and gifs, well gently caress you. You can install something that isn't serving you ads and otherwise isn't a piece of poo poo, but even if you try change the default app that loads various image formats, it will forcibly change it back to Photo Viewer after you load it once with no prompt. Also, the 'Open With' prompt purposely deletes the option to assign a chosen app as the default. If you try to go through the Settings app, all the image formats don't even show up there. This is on Enterprise Windows 11 btw.

God, Windows 11 is just loving great and I love how competent microsoft is at making software these days.

The fix is this btw:

code:
get-appxpackage *photos* | remove-appxpackage 

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not coding related, but yesterday I toyed around with ChatGPT on Bing some more (assuming it's GPT 4, which it may or may not be), and asked it to tell me the title of some electronic pop song by describing the music video loosely. The response was a quote of an artist and song title, mentioning it's electronic pop and describes the music video back to me in more and added detail. Latter which was actually correct. However the quoted artist made country music and the song title was completely made up. I found it kind of hilarious that the added detail to the music video description seemed accurate, but then made up complete poo poo.

I’ve had a similar experience a few times. Once it hallucinated a plausible sounding quote but couldn’t provide the source. It would give me plain text it insisted was a hyperlink to an interview. When pressed further, it would give me actual interviews, but without the made up quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had Google Bard make up Powershell variables and it was quite insistent even after being told it was wrong