Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ultimate General: Crimea when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The American Revolution is less interesting than the Civil War for me but I'm definitely interested just in seeing how the series evolves if nothing else

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
ultimate admiral already did the American revolution tho

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh hell yes this rules. Playing the strategic layer also in real-time is the shot-in-the-arm the Total War genre needs, and is likely necessary to let the linear battles of the the American War make any sense

gonna get my Banastre Tarleton on

Mantis42 posted:

The American Revolution is less interesting than the Civil War for me but I'm definitely interested just in seeing how the series evolves if nothing else

GMT's Liberty or Death is one of their best games. Contextualizing the late unpleasantness as a COIN campaign makes sense, and so does the inclusion of the multiple other parties taking part in the war. It depicts the First Nations and Loyalists, as well as the Spanish and French, which a lot of the traditional Yank narratives leave out, but are required for understanding a lot of the dynamics of the campaigns. For instance "why didn't the Royal Navy just cut off America?" and "what was the bulk of the British Army doing while this was going on?"

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Nov 6, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fuligin posted:

Pretty, looks interesting. Still wish they would ditch the Americas and tackle the revolutionary wars/Napoleon

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ultimate admiral already did the American revolution tho

Ultimate Admiral annoyed me by making the French Revolutionary Wars only playable from the British side and the American Revolution only playable from the American side

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

GMT's Liberty or Death is one of their best games. Contextualizing the late unpleasantness as a COIN campaign makes sense, and so does the inclusion of the multiple other parties taking part in the war. It depicts the First Nations and Loyalists, as well as the Spanish and French, which a lot of the traditional Yank narratives leave out, but are required for understanding a lot of the dynamics of the campaigns. For instance "why didn't the Royal Navy just cut off America?" and "what was the bulk of the British Army doing while this was going on?"

I liked Koei's version

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The issue with LoD is that although it is interesting that it is a better representation of the conflict since it includes the important contributions of both the First Nations and the French as playable sides, it tries to hammer the 4-player framework of a COIN into the conflict that doesn't really work all that well: playing anything apart from the British or Americans is pretty boring. It might be better from a historical perspective but from a gameplay one, it's not all there.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
I'm back, back again. With more Alpha Centauri, tell a friend.

When we last left off I had modded the game to reduce total research rate by 50%, doubling the time it takes to research everything. I had gotten so much energy income that I was researching everything way too fast for my taste. This is a very common problem with Alpha Centauri and it shows up around mid-game usually. You get the tech/infrastructure to build up your cities enough to have a ton of energy income and your research increases massively while the increase in research costs is a lot more gradual.

Research in 4X games in general is usually one of the most important things in the game. Doing well in the game lets you research more which unlocks better stuff which lets you research more which lets you go do even more gooder in the game. This lets somebody who is already doing well in the game do even better. From a game design perspective, you can't do too much to mitigate this, because the the concept of snowballing is central to 4X games, not just in technology but in everything. Players don't want to be punished for doing well so you have to use a careful touch when designing catch-up and anti-snowball features in the game. Modern games often implement some sort of "tech spread" where technology is cheaper to research the more people have researched it (especially your neighbors). SMAC does actually have a few systems to prevent the player that's in first from just running away from the game. First off is inefficiency, colonies that are further away from the colony that has your HQ building the more energy is lost to inefficiency in that distant colony. You also get more drones the more bases you have. This can be modified by Social Engineering choices but then you're missing out on the bonuses of the other choices you could have made. Technology can be spread by diplomacy (I disabled this, so...) and using probe teams on other factions. Finally the more ahead you are, the more likely other factions are to gang up on you. None of this is really enough to stop the player from running away from the game, or even to really slow you down, and certainly not enough to let the other Factions have a chance to catch up with you.

Back to my game. The very first thing that happens is that God punishes me for my hubris.

Remember that city I was so proud of that was producing all that energy? All the solar collectors got destroyed by hail. I didn't even realize that Planet had hail. I'm going to have to rebuild all of them.

Next up, I probe Zakharov for some of his sweet, sweet technologies. I get caught and lose a few probe teams and Zakharov declares war on me. I basically continue probing him until he gives me this message.

You get a message like this if the enemy Faction is doing very badly and you reject a few of their offers for peace. This will permanently bind him to be my vassal state. I'm pretty sure he can no longer declare war on me or break the pact he swore. If you reject an offer like this then the enemy will fight you to the death. I accepted. He didn't actually give me the technologies since tech-trading is off, which is interesting. I just probed those techs out of him. It's weird that I got this message without attacking him at all, just sending a few probe teams (5-6 because I got unlucky a few times). I guess he was getting his rear end kicked by Pravin Lal pretty badly.

I then hunker down to build as many Secret Projects as I can. Due to my tech and production lead I manage to get almost all of them. Including The Longevity Vaccine, which I placed at my city that had all those solar collectors, then was hit by hail and lost all those solar collectors, and that I'm now building more solar collectors at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdCB9yE9Hcc

CEO Nwabudike Morgan, MorganLink 3D-Vision Interview posted:

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.

If you watch only one Secret Project video, watch this one. Morgan is probably the most charming and likable leader in the game. He doesn't have the insane cult leader charisma that Yang or Deidre have. That 500 years quote is probably a reference to the fact that the game ends in a score victory if it lasts until 2500, Morgan would be about 500 then if you count the time spent in cryosleep. He was born in 2005, making him a Zoomer (insofar as marketing generations can be applied to people born outside the US). He would have turned 18 earlier this year actually.

I also stole the Superconducter tech from Zakharov.

CEO Nwabudike Morgan, MorganLink 3DVision Live Interview posted:

Important? Yes. Critical? Absolutely! I would go so far as to say that superconducting fiber alone makes our present economy possible.

Not all the quotes can be winners. The Superconducter tech doesn't really give you anything by itself, just a better laser gun. However it is vital to progressing in the game since you need it for Fusion power. The other thing you need is Pre-Sentient Algorithms in order to do the calculations necessary to keep a fusion reaction running. A lot of computing technology comes from military-type techs or requires military techs. The same thing happened in real life with computing advances being driven by military needs.

I also got more some more Secret Projects. The Xenoempathy lets me treat Xenofungus as roads, very useful when moving through neutral or enemy territory. It also lets me add or remove fungus faster and makes my Native units better. I got a few other Projects that are "nice to have" rather than vital. This includes the Planetary Energy Grid which gives me free Energy Banks in all my cities, those come with a Morgan quote.

CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Centauri Monopoly" posted:

Life is merely an orderly decay of energy states, and survival requires the continual discovery of new energy to pump into the system. He who controls the sources of energy controls the means of survival.

I also managed to finish the Empath Guild! I was suprised to be able to beat the Gaians to it, they were building it for a bunch of turns before me but I guess they didn't finish it fast enough. I did use money to rush it when I got the message that it the Gaians were about to finish it. This was out of spite since the Empath Guild isn't that useful to me. The Empath Guild lets me contact everyone and lets everyone contact me. Once the various Factions got my number, they immediately started declaring war on me.

Here's a map of the world, I stole most of this map from the Gaians. You'll notice I'm at war with everybody Zakharov (who I've defeated) and Pravin Lal. I was planning on declaring war on Pravin Lal but he's the only person who hasn't declared war on me. I've tried to get Zakharov and Pravin Lal to be at peace but it hasn't worked and I don't care enough to actually stop them, I just throw Zakharov some money occasionally. Maybe I should give him some fancy units too.

I'm protected by water on two sides and I have a friendly regime to my south, meaning I can go to war however I feel like. I've decided on Gaians First strategy for my wars, mostly because they're the closest to me. My naval strategy will involve these Isles of the Deep.

Lady Deirdre Skye, "A Comparative Biology of Planet" posted:

The Isle of the Deep is really not a single creature but a colony of thousands of individual tubules, an aquatic vector of the Mind Worm which terrorizes Planet's continents. Over its lifetime certain tubules secrete a tough, gluelike substance which hardens to form the characteristic shell that floats the colony and creates the appearance of a rogue island.

I've got pretty decent Lifecycle bonuses, which are the equivalent to Morale bonuses but for native units. I can't put Clean Reactors on these guys, because they're basically a raft of native life so I have to pay 1 mineral each turn in support for these things. The reason I like them is because they're both a combat unit and a good transport. So I don't have to build two separate naval units per ocean and they can defend themselves quite well if attacked on the high seas. They're quite nice if you're not going for complete naval dominance.

The other units I'm building is Cheap Trance Rovers (1-1t-2). These are very cheap units, they have Clean Reactors so they don't cost upkeep and I put Hypnotic Trance on them so they can defends themselves against Mindworms. They're very cheap so I'm going to put 3 of them in every single city I have and use them as offensive troops. Now you may be asking "But Bears^3, doesn't that 1/1 attack/defense make them more a liability than an asset?". Well that's where we get clever because you can upgrade units and upgrading units costs Energy and I have metric tonnes of Energy. I can spend a relatively small amount of Energy to upgrade these units to modern standards when needed.

It takes about 2 or 3 turns build a Cheap Trance Rover. This one is called a "Clean" Trance Rover because I hadn't renamed it yet. It then takes about 150 Energy to upgrade it to either 5-1-2 or 1-3r-2 depending on whether I want it to be an attack or defense rover. It's cheaper than building an advanced rover in the first place because I can hold off on upgrading them until I actually need it. Honestly even if I need to upgrade all my units I think I'll still come out ahead because I have an easier time getting Energy than Minerals. It's a just-in-time system for military weapons and it works perfectly.

Edit: You'll notice that I'm going to be building Clean Formers that don't require upkeep while I am still paying upkeep for a few units at this base, despite the fact that I could easily afford to upgrade those units with Clean Reactors. This is because I forgot to go through and actually do that.

Here's my first assault squadron. Two probes and 4 assault rovers. I sent in the probes and stole a tech and the world map from the Gaians. Four assault rovers should be plenty to destroy the Gaians. The Rover's two movement lets me disembark from the Isle of the Deep and attack at the same time. So I'll just go searching for their capital and end the war in one swift stroke.

Alright, that attack failed. I did some damage but it wasn't enough to actually take the capital and I had to retreat after losing two of my four rovers. I'm going to need a lot more units and I'm going to have to start with taking their other cities. That wall around the capital means they have a perimeter defense which gives a large defensive bonus. This is when I actually started using my Assault/Defense Rovers doctrine. I could also start using Infantry, they have a bonus to assaulting cities. On the other hand, I really like having two moves with my rovers. I also have to switch up my assault rovers a bit and give them a Psi attack bonus instead of their current defense bonus.

Edit: Roads look awful when you build a lot of them. One of the things I would love from a remake of Alpha Centauri is making roads look less terrible.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 09:23 on Nov 9, 2023

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

SMAC talk here prompted me to pick up the game again from GOG (I originally bought it back in the day on physical media, which is now lost somewhere). Quick question, is there a way to group units or move a stack all at once? I was playing as Yang and securing my natural borders, and it got to be a pain to move all of the units in my big stack individually, but I can't remember if there was a way to do it in the original, or if the newer UI mods help that at all.

Morgan and Yang were always my two favorite leaders to play - Yang is the expansionist who likes lots of big cities, Morgan makes a ton of money and tech in a much smaller footprint.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tekopo posted:

The issue with LoD is that although it is interesting that it is a better representation of the conflict since it includes the important contributions of both the First Nations and the French as playable sides, it tries to hammer the 4-player framework of a COIN into the conflict that doesn't really work all that well: playing anything apart from the British or Americans is pretty boring. It might be better from a historical perspective but from a gameplay one, it's not all there.

I think Cuba Libre was the same way, where adhering to the 4 player format got in the way a little and one faction seems like it shouldn't really be there. I think I've heard that complaint about a few of their titles before the Algeria game gave them a handle of 2 player, and the Finland game let them experiment with 3.

Maybe having the Spanish, French and Native Americans be purely spreadsheet AI as part of the turn sequence of the British and Americans from the get-go?

Sort of like, Panzer Corps 2, the Spanish Civil War scenarios, there was no point in the player controlling the Nationalists, so they don't. Their pieces just move after the player controlled German/Italian turn.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah iirc Falling Sky had the Germanic tribes as NPCs that would randomly raid across the border and could be redirected by the Belgae

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my dad posted:

Reading some Starcraft 2 unit descriptions, in light of recent events, gave me a grim chuckle.

in the wol campaign you find out that reapers are prisoner forced to fight, and that half of marauders are prisoners who went to jail for arson

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

AnimeIsTrash posted:

in the wol campaign you find out that reapers are prisoner forced to fight, and that half of marauders are prisoners who went to jail for arson

convicts making up a large portion of marines was a thing even in sc1 right?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Megamissen posted:

convicts making up a large portion of marines was a thing even in sc1 right?

i think its a fair % but not all of them lol, also i completely forgot that theyre mengeled into becoming soldiers

https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Neural_resocialization

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Frosted Flake posted:

I think Cuba Libre was the same way, where adhering to the 4 player format got in the way a little and one faction seems like it shouldn't really be there. I think I've heard that complaint about a few of their titles before the Algeria game gave them a handle of 2 player, and the Finland game let them experiment with 3.

Maybe having the Spanish, French and Native Americans be purely spreadsheet AI as part of the turn sequence of the British and Americans from the get-go?

Sort of like, Panzer Corps 2, the Spanish Civil War scenarios, there was no point in the player controlling the Nationalists, so they don't. Their pieces just move after the player controlled German/Italian turn.
I think ideally LoD should have been at two player game at most, although I'm pretty sure that there are rules already to do that.

The problem with LoD is kind of the opposite than CL, I feel: CL created sides that have more impact in the game than they did historically in order to fit the 4 player framework, but ended up with something that is quite playable (although I would argue the strategy in the game is severely limited). LoD didn't create sides, it accurately portrays France/First Nations as independant actors, but this affected gameplay negatively.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

SMAC talk here prompted me to pick up the game again from GOG (I originally bought it back in the day on physical media, which is now lost somewhere). Quick question, is there a way to group units or move a stack all at once? I was playing as Yang and securing my natural borders, and it got to be a pain to move all of the units in my big stack individually, but I can't remember if there was a way to do it in the original, or if the newer UI mods help that at all.

Morgan and Yang were always my two favorite leaders to play - Yang is the expansionist who likes lots of big cities, Morgan makes a ton of money and tech in a much smaller footprint.

Yes, but the game is from 1999 so the system is asinine and a complex multi-step process. The short version is use Shift-J to assemble a group and J to send them to your base or an allied base.

Shift-J assembles a group and it does so weirdly, make sure you check all the correct options. Do NOT uncheck the "exclude units farther than 2 squares away checkbox", that will effect every applicable unit that isn't otherwise excluded; this includes every unit that already has a go-to command. There is no way (as far as I know) to exclude units that already have a go-to command assigned to them. You can exclude units that are automated, have a hold (or sentry) command, or are on patrol. These same caveats apply to the "Assemble at Cursor" button, it's more trouble than it's worth unless you want practically everybody on the map to assemble at the cursor. The cursor is your selected tile not your actual mouse cursor. Shift+Right click to select a tile.

Once you've done all this, press J to send the group somewhere. Repeat all this for each group you want to send to somewhere. Here's the actual step by step process.

1. Make sure the units you want to send somewhere are waiting for orders and not hold position or something.
2. Select one of the units (or select the tile they're on)
3. Press Shift-J
3B. Make sure all your checkboxes are correct, the settings are remembered so you only need to do this the first time.
4. Press OK on the Shift-J menu
5. Press J and select a destination for your group.
6. Maybe press W (wait) a bunch of times to see your units start moving. Don't press Space, that removes all the moves from your unit while W sends you to the next unit [W]aiting for orders.
7. If you have other units that need to be moved, go back to step 1. The Shift-J command only groups units within 2 spaces.

It's relatively fast once you get the hang of it since it remembers the previous settings, it just takes a lot of clicks. Also, the pathfinding in the game is not the greatest. If your location is across a sea they may have trouble, even if there is a longer route across land that's perfectly usable. If your group keeps waiting for orders near the coast then that's what's happening.

Once my victory is inevitable, I often automate my military units and let them do their own thing. Just press Shift-A and stop thinking about them. I have plenty of units, they'll be fine or they won't be.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Anyone played Nebulous? Still early access but might be interesting, basically trying to do "realistic" space combat with a vaguely readable UI

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StashAugustine posted:

Anyone played Nebulous? Still early access but might be interesting, basically trying to do "realistic" space combat with a vaguely readable UI

It's on my Wishlist but I'm waiting for them to add more stuff. There doesn't seem to be much game there yet, but hopefully someday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_EC0OZJY4

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

StashAugustine posted:

I've played it. It's interesting but there are a few things I don't like. It's too much of a "click ability off cooldown" game, there's too much mandatory micromanagement. I like the simulation of deep mechanics and the ability to micromanage but I really want to be able to give general orders and have them carried out to the best of the AI's ability and then have the option to micromanage when I really want to get into the nitty-gritty.

It is a very unique and interesting game. I'm hopeful they fix the problems that I have with it. There's also not a lot of content but already implemented modding so that's very nice.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Nov 11, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

StashAugustine posted:

it's really fun but you basically need people to play with you and it's got a super steep learning curve especially bc of all the sigint stealth stuff. radar cross sections matter, armor angling and thickness matters, so stuff like having your fleet spread and angled 45° off of the enemy on approach, maneuvering to keep turret coverage or getting in under big guns w/ frigate/destroyers, waiting to make ambushes around asteroids, using jammers and decoys and stuff are all important, and the game doesn't teach you it just mentions tge mechanics

also bc of that and it being team-based, matches can go for 20 minutes and you might get wiped 2 min or 15 minutes in and have no idea what you did wrong or should've done

but the feeling of getting a clean jump on enemy ships and coring them w/ torpedoes before they can get a shot off is really satisfying

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BearsBearsBears posted:

I've played it. It's interesting but there are a few things I don't like. It's too much of a "click ability off cooldown" game, there's too much mandatory micromanagement. I like the simulation of deep mechanics and the ability to micromanage but I really want to be able to give general orders and have them carried out to the best of the AI's ability and then have the option to micromanage when I really want to get into the nitty-gritty.

It is a very unique and interesting game. I'm hopeful they fix the problems that I have with it. There's also not a lot of content but already implemented modding so that's very nice.
there's not really much micro at all

it gives a ton of options but you don't have to use them all or rapidly change anything much, the ships take like 15 seconds to change directions or speed

the maneuver phase is all just positioning around asteroids/points and aiming radars, once when a fight starts you'll ideally already be set up where you wanna be since none of the ships are nimble or fast

its one of those games where the pros can make hardly any inputs but still win because they know which ones to make & have well composed fleets

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

FirstnameLastname posted:

there's not really much micro at all

it gives a ton of options but you don't have to use them all or rapidly change anything much, the ships take like 15 seconds to change directions or speed

the maneuver phase is all just positioning around asteroids/points and aiming radars, once when a fight starts you'll ideally already be set up where you wanna be since none of the ships are nimble or fast

its one of those games where the pros can make hardly any inputs but still win because they know which ones to make & have well composed fleets

It's been a while since I've played so maybe things got fixed or maybe I'm misremembering. The annoying things I'm remembering is jamming and missiles (with maneuvering and facing also occasionally being an unnecessary pain in the rear end). Especially jamming having to be manually activated against enemy missiles. My complaint wasn't so much about requiring a high APM as requiring unnecessary micro.

Edit: It looks like the devs added in some improved missile handling including mixed salvos. So maybe a lot of my missile complaints are fixed.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Nov 11, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Flashbacks to micromanaging SAM radars in Wargame. Also reminds me I want to see a scifi ripoff of Empire of the Sun sometime, if for no other reason than it rules in general

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Nebulous is fantastic. It's reallying multi-player heavy right now though. Experimenting with fleet construction is fun. I've painted all my ships Mountbatten Pink.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BearsBearsBears posted:

It's been a while since I've played so maybe things got fixed or maybe I'm misremembering. The annoying things I'm remembering is jamming and missiles (with maneuvering and facing also occasionally being an unnecessary pain in the rear end). Especially jamming having to be manually activated against enemy missiles. My complaint wasn't so much about requiring a high APM as requiring unnecessary micro.

Edit: It looks like the devs added in some improved missile handling including mixed salvos. So maybe a lot of my missile complaints are fixed.

oh yeah the missile salvos were painful prepatch if you rolled w/ several different kinds after they added the designer

now there's a way to batch launch and specify the order they're launched so your nice ones aren't the first to enter pds range & stuff like that

maneuvering is way easier to do in the spacebar map, otherwise it's kinda hard to tell where the mouse is pointing in space when you're selecting headings and whatever

there's hotkeys for all those right click commands btw
if you use the lock/heading/move/orbit/roll ones & use shift to send group orders (incl stuff like speed, comms, ewar) it cuts pretty much all the repetitive clunkiness out

they could definitely improve the ui, i like the naval military style but five fuckin clicks to set a basic orbit order using the mouse is c'mon

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

i would not be surprised if it took five clicks to order an irl navy boat to orbit around something

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
When we last left our hero, Nwabudike Morgan, we had ended our Splendid Isolation period and contacted all the factions. Then everybody declared war on me except Pravin Lal and Zakharov. Zakharov then declared war on me after I did a bit of corporate espionage on him. Kicked his rear end and forced him to submit to me and now he's essentially my vassal. Despite everybody being at war with me I'm in a pretty good situation. I'm protected on both sides by water, to the north by the arctic (and end of the map), and to the south I have Zakharov and then Pravin Lal. Thankfully Pravin Lal is the only one who's not at war with.

Well that's that. Pravin Lal sensed weakness and tried to extort me. When I told him where to shove it he also declared war on me. That's everybody at war with me except for Zakharov who I already kicked the rear end of. 1400 credits is a massive amount for the AI. Greedy bastard.

Also Planet is trying to kill me. I'm trying to establish some new colonies here. Come on man, give me a break.

On the western front, the Gaians have some serious forces here. I've lost my first attack army trying to crack the capital but I've managed to get a foothold on the continent by taking a lightly held city. I need to build an actual proper army so I can defeat the Gaians. This capital could be a tough nut to crack but it's doable. There are a few ways to do it. First is obviously just overwhelming forces, just get enough troops that you can attack and beat every single unit there and then take the city. A tech advantage is likely necessary to be able to win even with the advantage from that Perimeter Defense. Another way is to use artillery, this allows you to damage them while they're in the city and forces them to face you outside their city walls, where you're on more even ground. Finally, the actual strategy I was planning to use was to just ignore this capital and fight them elsewhere. I retreated to the city I had already taken and planned a defense there until I could get more military units there. What wound up happening was she kept sending units to try to take back her city and and I was able to defeat them defensively by using counterattacks and my superior interior lines on the narrow peninsula that I took. Eventually I was able to build and transport more troops to this front. At that point the number of defensive troops in the Gaian capital were reduced enough for me to take it.

They're trying to counterattack me but it's too late. I was able to get my units mostly healed and easily counterattack. Those are some tough mindworms, Deidre has some serious bonuses layered on them. Deidre and the Gaians can be tough to fight because she uses both conventional and psi attacks so you need to be able to handle both. I've got psi-attack bonus on my assault rovers and psi-defense bonuses on my defense rovers, so I'll be fine as long as my assault rovers aren't attacked by mindworms. However, these extra abilities do drive up the cost of building/upgrading my units.

My superior strategic acumen lets me win with relatively few losses. My fast rovers let me pick the time and place of the battle, my superior weapons let me win most of the fights, and my Defense Rovers can be moved onto damaged troops to protect them from counterattacks. I basically lose units only when that unit loses an attack, sometimes the rolls just don't go my way. My damaged units are sent back to bases to be quickly repaired.

I captured the Command Nexus Secret Project from the Gaians. it was in Gaia's Landing, their capital. It gives you you a free Command Center in every base. Secret Projects that give you a building in every base are pretty common and this is another one. That saves you the minerals and turns to build it and these free buildings don't cost maintenance, so it's pretty nice. However, the Command Nexus is better than it seems. When you capture a base you lose some of the buildings. The building you most want in a base right after you capture it is a Command Center so it can repair your units immediately. Getting the Command Nexus allows you to speed up your attacks significantly. Your other option is waiting a bunch of turns to heal or rushing a Command Center (which still takes at least one turn instead of zero).

My various advantages and exhausted state of their military let me easily take more Gaian cities and convince Deidre to surrender. 2 down, 4 more to go.

Lady Deirdre Skye, "Planet Dreams" posted:

In the great commons at Gaia's Landing we have a tall and particularly beautiful stand of white pine, planted at the time of the first colonies. It represents our promise to our people, and to Planet itself, never to repeat the tragedy of Earth.

Now that Deidre is beaten I should show my changes to her. I gave her free Tree Farms once she researched them. This gives her a big boost in the mid-game and really encourages you to focus on forests. I also removed her bonus nutrients on Xenofungus. I'm going to give that to Cha Dawn, so Deidre will be the Forest faction while Cha Dawn will encourage covering the planet in Xenofungus. This will distinguish them a bit more. Deidre is fundamentally an earth ecologist and has absolutely no problem with mixing Earth and local Planet ecologies while Cha Dawn is a Planet purist.

Lady Deirdre Skye, "The Early Years" posted:

The prevalence of anoxic environments rich in organic material, combined with the presence of nitrated compounds has led to an astonishing variety of underground organisms which live in the absence of oxygen and "breathe" nitrate. Likewise, the scarcity of carbon in the environment has forced plants to economize on its use. Thus, all our efforts to return carbon to the biosphere will encourage the native life to proliferate. Conversely, the huge quantities of nitrate in the soil will be heaven to human farmers.

I'm probably going to give her the Mindworm policing bonus from Cha Dawn as well, they can share it. Deidre certainly uses them to terrorize people enough. Deidre will have Mindworms in the early game (before anyone else does), Forests and Tree Farms in the mid-games (before anyone else does), and have her Efficiency bonus late game. I think this will give her an interesting and distinct gameplay style. She adapts to Planet faster than anybody else due to her ecological background (and is also probably a cult leader who uses terrifying psychic aliens as attack dogs).

I also let her ignore the penalties from using her favored Green economics since everybody gets that for their favored Social Engineering choice.

I then moved my army to face the Yang and his Human Hive. I had to only take one city to have him offer a surrender. This was only 3 turns after Deidre surrendered. 3 down, 3 more to go. I was elected Planetary Governor earlier after I took a few Gaian cities, now I have enough of a majority (4 to 3) to force through the Global Commerce pact. I actually had to do a load an earlier turn to pass that, Zakharov didn't vote with me for some reason and I had to go back in time and give him a small bribe of 50 credits. My diplomatic corps should have warned me about that.

I've already noted my changes to Yang. One more Growth (+2 total) and Police State and Planned don't give you Efficiency penalties anymore. I still think the changes were solid and open up his gameplay more. I've declared him as balanced so all the other factions I've changed should be compared against him.

Fedor Petrov, Vice Provost for University Affairs posted:

The Academician's private residences shall remain off-limits to the Genetic Inspectors. We possess no retroviral capability, we are not researching retroviral engineering, and we shall not allow this Council to violate faction privileges in the name of this ridiculous witch hunt!

I always found this quote really funny because it pops up when you research Retroviral Engineering. It turns out they were researching retroviral engineering! This technology gives you access to the Genejack Factory.

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter" posted:

My gift to industry is the genetically engineered worker, or Genejack. Specially designed for labor, the Genejack's muscles and nerves are ideal for his task, and the cerebral cortex has been atrophied so that he can desire nothing except to perform his duties. Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?

We've finally created the perfect worker. The Genejack Factory gives you +50% Minerals at that base but also gives you an extra drone and makes the base more vulnerable to mind control/being bribed. This is the very first building that gives you a mineral bonus while you get energy bonuses very early on and the energy bonuses stay common throughout the whole game. In my opinion this makes minerals much more precious throughout the game.

Fast Facts: Facilities (buildings) cost 2 energy per mineral to rush, Secret Projects (wonders) take 4 energy per mineral to rush. Units take more than 2 energy per mineral to rush, with more expensive units costing Energy per Mineral and also more overall due to the larger Mineral cost. If you haven't paid at least ten minerals for the production, the cost to rush the production is doubled. This is very important to remember to efficiently use your energy on rushing stuff. Rush Facilities that have had at least 10 minerals invested in them for maximum efficiency when rushing production. There's also some weird stuff with building cheap units and then upgrading them with energy, I don't remeber why that works out better. It certainly is working out easier for me.

One of the takeaways is 1 Mineral is worth about 2 Energy, and 2 Nutrients is worth about 3 energy. This makes 1 Mineral worth about 1.5 Nutrients. There's a lot of caveats with this analysis but it's accurate enough. Nutrients become worth more late game, Energy has to deal with inefficiency but is Faction-wide, and Minerals are local to a base. However, Energy income skyrockets throughout the game due to the tons of economic multiplier buildings you get and access to Specialists (which can give Energy but not Minerals). Excess energy is usually used to hurry production (or to upgrade units).

I've realized that I forgot a Morgan quote. It's about the Research Hospital which you have to research before you get the Genejack factory. I think this implies Morgan and Yang collaborated to create the Genejack, or possibly it was parallel development or maybe it was corporate espionage.

CEO Nwabudike Morgan, Personal Diaries posted:

Some civilian workers got in among the research patients today and became so hysterical I felt compelled to have them nerve stapled. The consequence, of course, will be another public relations nightmare, but I was severely shaken by the extent of their revulsion towards a project so vital to our survival.

Moving on. With Deidre and Yang pacified I could bring my newly built (and upgraded) forces to bear upon Pravin Lal.

Here is Pravin Lal. He's extorted me, he's the second strongest faction in the game, and he built the Human Genome Project before I could. I pooh-poohed it earlier but it's actually pretty good. It gives one extra Talent (happy citizen) per base. This can either cancel out a drone (unhappy citizen) or make getting golden ages easier. The easier golden ages, especially on small cities, would have been wonderful for me as Morgan. I think this is one of the very few Secret Project that helps you deal with drones directly. The only other one I can think of is late game only.

You'll notice that he started in the Monsoon Jungle, that's that very green area. The Monsoon Jungle is a landmark that gives you +1 food on all the squares in it, on top of that all the squares in it are guaranteed to be Rainy which gives you +2 food as a base. This might be the strongest landmark in the game, especially during the early game and it's especially useful for the AI. You can find out which faction landed near Monsoon Jungle by looking at the Faction Rankings and seeing who is pulling ahead of the others. Luckily my superior human mind should be a match to Pravin Lal and his U.N. Peacekeepers.

But first, let's look at the changes I made to Pravin Lal.

Comissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights" posted:

As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he deems himself your master.

Pravin Lal consistently comes in near the bottom of faction popularity polls. Miriam sometimes come in below him but by God is she memorable as an opponent, usually in the worst way. He's just uninteresting and uninspiring. This is despite him being one of the stronger factions in the game. Those extra talents make drone control significantly easier and that extra 2 pop cap lets each city be about 25% more productive in the late part of the early game. So I wanted to do something big for him.

For my theme I decided to be inspired by modern Liberalism. I've got three potential names for my Pravin Lal rework. Pick your favorite.
Pravin Lal: Yesterday's Man
Pravin Lal: The End of History 2
Pravin Lal: There is No Alternative

Pravin Lal saw what happened to Earth, traveled to a whole new planet, and decided that we just need to recreate the modern International Community but just do it better this time. We need the U.N. back, we need to recreate the Rules Based International Order, we need to unleash the innovation and potential of the free market. In short, we need to recreate all the systems of Old Earth on Planet and we shouldn't think about why they failed on Earth. There's no such thing on history and we already know how to create the ideal society, it's the society we came from.

His new advantages are that he ignores the penalties from the Democratic, Free Market, and Wealth social engineering choices. His brilliance and study of political history combined with the skill and talent of the liberal elites that he's gathered under him let him run a democracy with a large military, a free market society with a heavy police presence, and have a people whose lust for wealth doesn't abate their lust for blood. Additionally, he can now take Police State. Gameplay wise this encourages recreating Western Society and largely staying there, changing it up only under exigent circumstances. You can switch to planned economy when you need Growth (like the US during WW2) and switch to a police state if the proles start threatening your economy. How does the the self-styled leader of the U.N. on planet justify switching to a police state and ignoring human rights? It's easy, it's an emergency and we've got tons of legal precedent so it's fine. The U.N. Peacekeepers are already great at using questionable legalistic arguments to get things they want, that's how they get double votes during the Planetary Council meetings.

I removed his +2 max pop, it never really made sense to me and it would be a bit too overpowered to keep it. Don't worry, that will come back later elsewhere. I also gave him -1 Police. This makes policing things harder and removes the ability to do Nerve Stapling by default, which feels appropriate. Pravin Lal would only create a Police State and start Nerve Stapling people if he really thought he needed to. His bonus Talents from attracting intellectual elites makes avoiding Drone Riots easier as well. Pravin Lal prefers using societal elites in order to manufacture consent over heavy-handed police presence.

I like how this rework turned out. I feel like now Pravin Lal has a very distinct identity and gameplay style. He was the head surgeon on the Unity. How do surgeons fix people who have been in accidents? As much as possible, they put everything back the way it was. This is also Pravin Lal's political philosophy. We just need to put society back the way it was before things went to poo poo. We need to reassemble the U.N., we need put the Rules-Based International Order back in order, we need to clone his dead wife. We just need to get things back the way they were and then everything will be fine.

I'm also proud because he stays as a "good guy" faction outside of leftist circles but in places like this he becomes a clear villain. Tell me what you guys think.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 20:58 on Nov 11, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BearsBearsBears posted:

Pravin Lal: Yesterday's Man

Gameplay wise this encourages recreating Western Society by and largely staying there, possibly changing it up under exigent circumstances. You can switch to planned economy when you need Growth (like the US during WW2) and switch to a police state if the proles start threatening your economy. How does the the self-styled leader of the U.N. on planet justify switching to a police state and ignoring human rights? It's easy, it's an emergency and we've got tons of legal precedent so it's fine. The U.N. Peacekeepers are great at using questionable legalistic arguments to get things they want, that's how they get double votes during the Planetary Council meetings.

We need to reassemble the U.N., we need put the Rules-Based International Order back in order, we need to clone his dead wife. We just need to get things back the way they were and then everything will be fine.

I'm also proud because he stays as a "good guy" faction outside of leftist circles but in places like this he becomes a clear villain. Tell me what you guys think.

I fuckin' love it, dude. It's Space Barack Obama (even though "Yesterday's Man" is the title of an anti-Joe Biden polemic)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
He was a surgeon, so more like Ben Carson.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
More Alpha Centauri, we're reaching the end of the game.

I also found something. Here is an interview with Brian Reynolds, the head designer of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.
https://www.everand.com/listen/podcast/417939986
Direct Link.MP3

Honestly conquering Pravin Lal was not difficult. I already was building up an army the whole time while I was mopping up Deidre and and Yang. It was just a matter of spending the Energy to upgrade all the units I need and sending them forward with the same tactics as previously. I seized the Human Genome project, so now I finally have all of the Secret Projects built in this game. The only tricky part is that I have to leave units behind so my newly conquered cities neither rebel nor are reconquered back from me, at least one per city.

Dr. Otto Octavious posted:

The power of the sun in the palm of my hand.

Comissioner Pravin Lal, "The Science of Our Fathers" posted:

Our ancestors harnessed the power of a sun, and so again shall we.

Fusion Power! This is one of the very important techs in the game. It's place very high up on the tech tree but we know that Old Earth did have Fusion technology. In fact the UNS Unity, the very ship we flew to this planet on, is powered by a fusion core. There's a diplomatic option you can vote on called "Salvage Unity Fusion Core" that gives every Faction in the game 500 Energy. So it looks like we're receating techs from Earth but we need to do it better because of our far more limited resources. The upcoming spaceflight tech makes this a lot more explicit.

Fusion Power unlocks the Fusion Lab, which is yet another Econ and Lab multiplier. Not too exciting, but useful and gives me even more Energy. I'll be building those everywhere I can as soon as I can. The other thing it gives you is portable Fusion Reactors for your units, especially your military units. This is a huge deal for two reasons. The first is that it doubles the HP of your units, increasing the chance that your weaker units get lucky and decreasing the change the your stronger units get unlucky. That's already pretty nice but the biggest thing Fusion Reactors in your units can do is actually make them cheaper instead of more expensive.

Check it out. Creating a Fusion speeder armed with a Chaos Gun costs 60 Minerals compared to 108 Minerals for building an inferior Fission-powered Chaos Speeder. Why this happens is a bit complicated to explain but the short version is that it changes the formula for how the cost is calculated. Fusion Reactors don't make every unit cheaper, specifically it makes already cheap units more expensive. This is because the Fusion Reactor increases the minimum cost of a unit. Think of it this way, as a vehicle gets more and more power-hungry the effort required to get more power of of a conventional Fission reactor increases. A more advanced reactor scales up better and lets you build units with more stuff on them for cheaper. Basically, my engineers were really struggling to build a rover that could fire a Chaos Gun with the power from the on-board reactor. Presumably they've been using super-capacitors and redirecting power from the drive train to the weapon and running the reactor real hot with some fancy isotopic fuel. Now they don't have to, just put a Fusion Reactor on there and don't worry about it.

On the other hand, my old Formers will continue being built with the cheap Fission Reactors since that's all they need and I want a huge number of them. Speaking of which, let's see how my Terraforming doing.

I've forested pretty much everything. Forests are just too good and too fast to create. Once you have Tree Farms and Hybrid Forests there are few reasons to do much else. I have been doing 2 other things. The first is Drilling to Aquifers. I do this all the time but I rarely see people talking about it so I might be one of the few. Drilling to an Aquifer creates a River which flows downward until it reaches the ocean. Rivers give +1 Energy to all squares they flow through, this includes Forest squares. It takes a while and doesn't give you a huge amount of resources but you can do it on top of any other improvements you have. You can't do it everywhere since you can't drill to an aquifer on a square that's already next to a river. It's something that you do after you're done the rest of your terraforming.

The other thing I'm doing is drilling Thermal Boreholes. This is a mid-lateish game terraforming improvement (although I could have started building these earlier since I built the Weather Paradigm). It gives you 6 Minerals and 6 Energy regardless the original square's stats. I think it works like a Forest, so a few things should affect it (Landmarks, Square Bonuses, Economy rating,Rivers?) but I haven't actually tested it. I'm especially unsure about Rivers because if a River reaches a Thermal Borehole it will fall into it. Six is a large amount of Energy for a square but is an absolutely massive amount of Minerals, getting both from one square is a huge advantage.. The downsides of a Thermal Borehole is that they generate no food, cause a lot of eco-damage, and can't be built on slopes. That last part is the most annoying, I usually skip building them if I'm way ahead just because it can be hard to be sure what counts as a slope or not. I built a few as demonstration here and I'm going to be setting my Formers to fully automatic mode from now one. Maybe they'll build more Boreholes and maybe they won't, who knows at this point.

Mind Control?!? This is something that I meant to do and then never did and now it's being done to me. This is incredibly unfair. Mind Control is something a Probe Team does to take over one of your cities. It costs Energy to do it, with more Energy required the more developed the base is. It not only takes over the base but also any units inside the base so Pravin Lal now has one of my units. This actually happened just a few turns before I finished the Hunter-Seeker Algorithim which will make me immune to Probe teams.

It wasn't a huge setback. Pravin Lal surrended once he was down to four cities. Three or four cities seems to be the normal surrender threshold. Although, shortly after this Santiago surrender to me without me attacking her at all and with having more than four cities. I know Miriam had recently taken one of her cities so maybe that's it. On to Miriam

Miriam her gang of Lord's Believers. Here is her empire and it looks like things aren't going so well. Notice that area of explored area surronded by unexplored area. I don't know how that happened, I get vision of everybody's cites from being elected as the Planetary Governer, but that's only the city itself. I did get maps from other people instead of exploring this area myself but then how did they get their map to look like this? Each answer only leads to further questions.

Miriam was a some sea colonies. I only recently started building more of my own so she had more than I did for most of the game. I have a land army and the various seas are separated from each other on the map. I'm hopeful that I can force her capitulation without taking any of those sea colonies. We'll sea how that goes.

Moving units out in a cool formation from my Yang's base. Keeping units in a single square means that if one unit is destroyed the rest of the units are damaged and I didn't feel like waiting for any defensive units. This sort of formation isn't necessary at all though. But first, some research!

CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed" posted:

You ivory tower intellectuals must not lose touch with the world of industrial growth and hard currency. It is all very well and good to pursue these high-minded scientific theories, but research grants are expensive. You must justify your existence by providing not only knowledge but concrete and profitable applications as well.

This only gives you the Supercollider Secret Project. It increases your research output at a single base, I'll be putting it in the same base as I put all the rest of my single base improving Secret Projects let all those projects synergize.

CEO Nwabudike Morgan, Strategy Session posted:

Fossil fuels in the last century reached their extreme prices because of their inherent utility: they pack a great deal of potential energy into an extremely efficient package. If we can but sidestep the 100-million-year production process, we can corner this market once again.

Remember fossil fuels? They're back in synthetic form! I am researching this late, normally you get this before Fusion Power. This will let me get aircraft soon, I'll probably use those instead of ships if I need to take those sea bases I mentioned earlier.

CEO Nwabudike Morgan, Morgan Industries Annual Report posted:

Objects once measured in meters have become so small that they cannot be seen by the naked eye, with revolutionary applications across the board. Gentlemen, forget what your courtesans have told you: size does matter!

Nanominutarization gets you Hovertanks. They're faster than rovers, but not inherently any more tanky. We also know they don't use anti-grav technology since that is researched later. The game will probably be over before I seriously use them.

I had set some Assault Rovers to automatic mode and it looks like one of them managed to actually take a city, good job little guy. A lot of them have been fighting the wildlife and just roaming around.

It's at this point that I realize that I forgot to take an important screenshot. We got a random event and it was sunspots. Sunspots knock out communications for 20 turns. This means a few things for me specifically. Miriam can't surrender to me and I can't get myself elected as Supreme Leader. There are some other interesting things you can do during sunspots. For one thing crime is legal for 20 turns, you can put nerve gas pods on your units and nobody can complain. Well I'm not going to bother taking advantage of this comms blackout to do something underhanded. I'm close enough to victory that it doesn't matter.

Oh. It looks like my enlightened attitude towards the comms blackout isn't shared by everyone. I didn't even realize that your vassals could betray you like this. I'm not even sure if this is related to the comm blackout or if Deidre was always going to betray me. Either way, I've got to take her out.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 08:04 on Nov 12, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BearsBearsBears posted:

Basically, my engineers were really struggling to build a rover that could fire a Chaos Gun with the power from the on-board reactor. Presumably they've been using super-capacitors and redirecting power from the drive train to the weapon and running the reactor real hot with some fancy isotopic fuel. Now they don't have to, just put a Fusion Reactor on there and don't worry about it.

love this in-universe explanation

BearsBearsBears posted:

I've forested pretty much everything. Forests are just too good and too fast to create. Once you have Tree Farms and Hybrid Forests there are few reasons to do much else.

when I played AC as a wee lad I used to pick Deirdre and forest everything because roleplaying - it just seemed like what she'd be doing in-character. It's kinda funny if that was actually a really powerful way to play that I stumbled upon unintentionally.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Over the last few months C-Spam has discussed US, (West) German and Soviet doctrine quite a lot, and British a little. Could anyone recommend (or write) any basic, short primers on East German, Polish, and Canadian doctrine in the 80s?

After a long spell of being too depressed to do anything, I'm coming back to work on my card game. The core game is done and I'm getting ready to pitch it to publishers, but I'd also like to work on some more decks.

So far I have:
-8th US infantry division
-11th US armored cavalry regiment
-39th Guards Motor Rifle division
-7th Guards Tank division
-5th French armored division
-French Force d'Action Rapide

I've got some ideas for a Polish airborne division that I think would play in really unique ways, but I'm coming up against the issue of how they might... win. Since the Pact win condition is that you need to move a unit "past" the playing area into the enemy's rear, symbolizing a breakthrough, but paratroopers within the game rules can't move (because they don't have transports) after being deployed. The main solutions I can think of are:
A. Pull a Warno and just go "eh whatever they just have some stuff, don't worry about it"
B. Lump them in with something else. Either do what Warno will actually be doing with the Poles and lump 6th Airborne and 7th Marine into a fictional "assault corps", or lump it into the historical formation, at which point the deck is just called "1st Army" which... is a bit of a scale thing. Yeah, I have the FAR, but I feel like they're kind of a special case, since they're pretty small for a corps.
C. Interesting idea suggested by a friend. Since decks in the game have a fixed starting hand, play on that and also give these guys a fixed ending hand: a bunch of cards that are always on the bottom of the deck, representing the arrival of the main force that the paratroopers are securing positions for. I think that's a really cool idea, and plays into what paratroopers would actually be for, but I'm a little worried about introducing unique mechanics like that. I feel like once you introduce it in one instance, you quickly start running into "why just in that one instance" - and either one deck sticks out like a sore thumb, or suddenly the game is way more complicated with everyone having special snowflake rules.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

C. Interesting idea suggested by a friend. Since decks in the game have a fixed starting hand, play on that and also give these guys a fixed ending hand: a bunch of cards that are always on the bottom of the deck, representing the arrival of the main force that the paratroopers are securing positions for. I think that's a really cool idea, and plays into what paratroopers would actually be for, but I'm a little worried about introducing unique mechanics like that. I feel like once you introduce it in one instance, you quickly start running into "why just in that one instance" - and either one deck sticks out like a sore thumb, or suddenly the game is way more complicated with everyone having special snowflake rules.

I'm an absolute sucker for unique mechanics so I support that. You could genercize it with some decks getting a supporting "Reinforcements Deck" that they can draw from once they run out of normal cards. Then it's not a unique mechanic but a normal mechanic that only some decks use. There could be some cards interact with that as well if you want to do that.

I haven't actually tried your card game yet, I need to get tabletop simulator over Thanksgiving. It looks neat.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I love UoC2, but man sometimes is it frustrating you get going a bit in a scenario and realize the piece of the puzzle you have to solve. Fortunately the only thing you lose but just restarting is score (who cares) and time needed to set everything back up (specialist steps, supply, etc.).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BadOptics posted:

I love UoC2, but man sometimes is it frustrating you get going a bit in a scenario and realize the piece of the puzzle you have to solve. Fortunately the only thing you lose but just restarting is score (who cares) and time needed to set everything back up (specialist steps, supply, etc.).

UOC2 would definitely be helped if it had a traditional save/load system and you could savescum as much as you wanted, with just an option to make it Ironman

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

UOC2 would definitely be helped if it had a traditional save/load system and you could savescum as much as you wanted, with just an option to make it Ironman

Yeah; Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm may take like 20-30 minutes to setup everything, but at least I can save as I go and then reload if needed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Could you make it a keyword common to multiple decks and just have paratroop decks have a whole lot of those cards?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I do kinda like that this encourages you to roll with the punches, while still giving the option to reset if you massively gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Could anyone recommend (or write) any basic, short primers on Canadian doctrine in the 80s?

I would check out Price of Alliance.

Here are misc links I had saved though:

4 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group
Canadian Orders of Battle & TO&Es 1980 to 1989
ORBAT - 1980s Canadian BG, Part 1 Task Organisation (Honestly, consider using this site as your go-to quick reference for all the combatants)
4 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group (4 CMBG), Canadian Forces Europe (CFE), 1957-1993
RCA Organization and Equipment 1968-92

Canadian doctrine after the downsizing of forces in Europe and the acquisition of the Leopard in the 1970's relied on the Big Battalions, an infantry organization built around the M113 and large weapons companies. Canada was in II Corps reserve and wasn't intended to manoeuvre its single brigade in any particularly fancy way but park itself on key terrain with all of those weapons and blunt the Soviets somewhere while NATO forces regrouped.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Nov 13, 2023