Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Haha drat I was watching MacGuyver and was like "drat this person seems really familiar" and its Nana Visitor from DS9 on the show. She's super young.

you weren’t kidding they both look like kids in this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

She looks weird without the nose bumps.

I would join Nana for nose bumps

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

naem posted:

drat, those are some sexy mullets

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you watch any of the long running 80's syndicated tv shows you'll see the same actors over and over again. macguyver, murder she wrote, matlock, etc.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
e: wrong thread

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
There’s that scene in “Return to Grace” where Kira explains to Ziyal the relative advantages of Cardassian vs Federation rifles that’s supposed to be an AK vs AR analogy.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if you watch any of the long running 80's syndicated tv shows you'll see the same actors over and over again. macguyver, murder she wrote, matlock, etc.

I saw Worf playing a cop in CHiPs and it hosed me up pretty badly tbh

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hollismason posted:

Haha drat I was watching MacGuyver and was like "drat this person seems really familiar" and its Nana Visitor from DS9 on the show. She's super young.

lol saw the same episode recently too, and had the same thing happen

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Big rear end On Fire posted:

:aaa:

(Just a few posts back)

Ok on the phaser talk, is there any difference between a phaser and a disruptor? They kinda make a big deal about Klingon disruptor or Romulan or whatever. Do those not have stun?

Phasers agitate molecular bonds and impart electrical energy? i think? so they can heat, but also a certain level will stun the nervous system, and a certain level will vapourise. Also you can get finer precision and control over the outputs if a phaser so it's kinda just a multitool.

Disruptors simply disrupt molecular bonds, so they're good for blasting but not much else.

The way I think of the difference is that a phaser can be used as a scalpel in surgery, it can slice through tissue without damaging surrounding tissue

Whereas a disruptor will just gently caress up the integrity of the surrounding tissue

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
can a phaser be used to cauterise a wound?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Probably not, but you could heat up a chunk of metal and then use that

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
okay, i watched the sword of kahless the other day and dax not zapping worfs wound annoyed me

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I would tend to believe they could, they can be attuned to some pretty specific effects. A phaser can uniformly heat a rock, break up rock like a power tool or fully disintegrate large volumes of rock; it can lightly stun a person, knock a person unconscious, burn them with thermal energy, cause narrow projectile-like penetrating damage or outright vaporize them. They're pretty drat versatile.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Why they'd have phaser rifles? Do they need more power in a phaser? Just seems unnecessarily unwieldy compared to how convenient the hand held phaser is.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

naem posted:

Nana looks like Cheri Oteri as Barbara Walters.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

redshirt posted:

Why they'd have phaser rifles? Do they need more power in a phaser? Just seems unnecessarily unwieldy compared to how convenient the hand held phaser is.

I imagine the dustbuster and keyfob versions probably run out of juice a lot quicker. I would also think a rifle is easier to aim consistently than a handheld.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The rifles have a bunch of extra features probably. Kira goes through a bunch of them in

Apollodorus posted:

There’s that scene in “Return to Grace” where Kira explains to Ziyal the relative advantages of Cardassian vs Federation rifles that’s supposed to be an AK vs AR analogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8aYkrVrhgA&t=182s

Dabir fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 10, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I imagine the dustbuster and keyfob versions probably run out of juice a lot quicker. I would also think a rifle is easier to aim consistently than a handheld.

lmfao im keeping these

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

So, I was a marksmanship instructor for a bit, and rifles are waaaaay more stable and easier to shoot than pistols for your average shooter.

Except for phaser rifles because they are missing the key thing that makes rifles better, which is the shoulder stock.

Phaser rifles still get two hands vs dustbuster's one hand, so it'll be a bit better, but not as good as it could have been.

Also yea the technical manual points out rifles have bigger batteries.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I would also think a rifle is easier to aim consistently than a handheld.
yeah, even if all else were equal, it's much much easier to shoot more accurately using a longer two-handed object braced against your shoulder than it is onehanding a TV remote-sized object. the enterprise crew are apparently all incredible marksmen, on TNG they're regularly making shots that would be quite difficult with any pistol-sized object, and they're not even bothering to aim down the "barrel" or whatever

efb

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Need a Lower Decks gag where someone turns off the phaser aim assist and everyone misses everything like a stormtrooper.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Rifles are just the "big guns." Kirk used one when Gary Mitchell turned into a god because he knew the pistol wouldn't be powerful enough.

I also see some references to the rifle being able to regenerate energy, but I dunno if that's canon.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"Regenerative phasers", whatever that means, is the technology that obsoleted the bullet rifle from that episode where Ezri catches the murderer. It was developed to deal with situations where normal phasers couldn't fire for some reason I forget.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Phasers that are continuous-beam instead of pew-pew should be pretty easy to aim -- do you have much difficulty putting a laser pointer dot right where you want it?

Of course, 99% of the time you wouldn't be pointing it perfectly when you started firing, so you'd have to move the beam onto the target. Which would look silly on TV.

naem
May 29, 2011

just turn on the beam and whip it around the room

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'll check my technical manual when I get home but iirc it has like 5 times the power cells as the dustbuster type.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should make a phaser that's a continuous beam but only of about the length of a sword. With like a focusing dilithium crystal that bends the beam back onto itself into the phaser 'hilt' so most of the energy is recycled. And different characters could have different colors dependant on their role, similar to division uniforms. And you could use these to deflect phaser fire.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

yeah, even if all else were equal, it's much much easier to shoot more accurately using a longer two-handed object braced against your shoulder than it is onehanding a TV remote-sized object. the enterprise crew are apparently all incredible marksmen, on TNG they're regularly making shots that would be quite difficult with any pistol-sized object, and they're not even bothering to aim down the "barrel" or whatever

efb

Intent sensors revolutionized a variety of ergonomics and accessibility fields.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Sometimes they try pumping in crazy knockout gas (anesthizine).

It is really handy that the starship designers set up the air systems in such a way that any random gas can be pumped through it into specific rooms and then pumped back out just as fast.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

I didn't have anywhere else to post this but I couldn't find a gif of Odo's fingers turning into hotdogs so I made the gif myself.
Enjoy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

I didn't have anywhere else to post this but I couldn't find a gif of Odo's fingers turning into hotdogs so I made the gif myself.
Enjoy.

Thank you for your service!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Grey Cat posted:

Enjoy.

Oh that's where the Daniels got the idea from...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:eyepop:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

I sensible chuckled

Should really be a picture of the symbiote rather than Jadzia maybe but lol

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

maybeadracula posted:

I sensible chuckled

Should really be a picture of the symbiote rather than Jadzia maybe but lol

I dunno she seems pretty comfortable being one of the boys, the girls, and an old man.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Time to get back to my fanfiction featuring Jadzia and Goa'uld Ba'al.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Grey Cat posted:

I dunno she seems pretty comfortable being one of the boys, the girls, and an old man.

Her answering to Old Man is cute

I never thought she wasn't fully owning femininity though, even when outdrinking Klingons and kicking worfs rear end

Just a badass lady who has centuries of memories of being a man... yeah ok our terms are probably just inadequate lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

maybeadracula posted:

Her answering to Old Man is cute

I never thought she wasn't fully owning femininity though, even when outdrinking Klingons and kicking worfs rear end

Just a badass lady who has centuries of memories of being a man... yeah ok our terms are probably just inadequate lol

I know she's not a fan favorite, but I enjoyed Ezri's story in a bubble. To have that much history, memories, life experiences dumped into you on an emergency basis has to be incredibly hard. Jadzia was trained for it, Ezri was not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I like that the picture of Odo is mid-eyeroll

Is it because of 'solids' and their concepts of gender? Is it for the pun? Both?