Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Coinciding with weeks of ridiculous moral outrage over a sex-ed book for preschoolers, with highlights such as death threats to the translator of the book, the Latvian parliament has passed a civil partnerships bill that will amend several existing laws through its first reading.

53 for, 40 against, 0 abstentions and one more reading left. It will be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Can we have a “who voted” check on this thread?

Also, Duda made his decision but everything has to be a loving show so we won’t know until primetime evening news-hour. Since I’m usually wrong, I’m gonna go ahead and giess he’ll nominate Morawiecki for PM, as he was always a PiS boy first and foremost.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

i got the trifecta

1 x valid vote
1 x null and void
1 x lol, not voting in this shitshow

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

i got the trifecta

1 x valid vote
1 x null and void
1 x lol, not voting in this shitshow

Haha, I meant the thread vote thingy

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Mokotow posted:

Can we have a “who voted” check on this thread?

Also, Duda made his decision but everything has to be a loving show so we won’t know until primetime evening news-hour. Since I’m usually wrong, I’m gonna go ahead and giess he’ll nominate Morawiecki for PM, as he was always a PiS boy first and foremost.

That's what I'm expecting too, but I'm fabulously bad at predicting politics, so let's hope I keep form and what happens is the opposite of what I think will happen!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Duda the idiot went with Morawiecki. We’ll all lose another month before this PiS fuckery ends.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Oh for fucks' sake

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Morawiecki gets to publicly humiliate himself so that various PiS cronies get a bonus two weeks to steal everything that isn't nailed down and shred incriminating documents. It was never going to go any other way, of course.

I mean I was lowkey hoping it would but nooope.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
My bet is more that PiS is hoping to cook up some last minute hail mary transfers from Trzecia Droga or the Nazi part of Konfederacja. Just get another Ziobro/Czarnek/Gowin figure to shower in power and riches for whichever tiny swing they can bring.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
As stupid as the situation is, it's gotten Morawiecki to come out against the new restrictions on abortion, which is kinda funny itself

https://businessinsider.com.pl/wiadomosci/zawsze-bylem-zwolennikiem-kompromisu-aborcyjnego-morawiecki-po-wyborach/tkf0zwr

Article headline translation posted:

Morawiecki: I was always a supporter of the compromise on abortion

I was always a supporter of the compromise on abortion from 30 years ago. Submitting an application to the Constitutional Tribunal was a mistake — premier Mateusz Morawiecki said to interia.pl.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There’s a lot of coming to jesus moments now around PiS.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Loving the totally not racist border control experience on the Warsaw-Berlin express this morning. Train border by the Bundes something or other in full commando garb, dudes walking down the carriage looking for brown people. My compartment ignored - lone fat white dude - but two Vietnamese ladies in the next compartment greeted with a lovely “AUSWEIS” (not even a “bitte”). German ticket guy checks my ticket, I reach for my ID and he just smiles like “naaah”. I felt like in that SNL Eddie Murphy sketch going incognito between white people.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Mokotow posted:

Loving the totally not racist border control experience on the Warsaw-Berlin express this morning. Train border by the Bundes something or other in full commando garb, dudes walking down the carriage looking for brown people. My compartment ignored - lone fat white dude - but two Vietnamese ladies in the next compartment greeted with a lovely “AUSWEIS” (not even a “bitte”). German ticket guy checks my ticket, I reach for my ID and he just smiles like “naaah”. I felt like in that SNL Eddie Murphy sketch going incognito between white people.

I used to ride the bus between Albuquerque and San Antonio to visit my family and I know this experience well. Bus gets pulled over, BPD dogs board, everyone with skin darker than a particular shade gets out a stack of documents but the white folks don't even wake up from their naps.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
So, same sex civil partnerships are now legal in Latvia. The parliament voted in favour today.

Opposition is fuming and will be calling for a referendum.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Congrats, I hope to live and see the same in Poland..

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mokotow posted:

I and Spanish guy were the only tourists on a bus in The Gambia and guess who got selected for a random drug search at a police checkpoint :v:

They didn't try to plant anything or otherwise extract a bribe though so I wasn't even particularly mad.

a podcast for cats posted:

So, same sex civil partnerships are now legal in Latvia. The parliament voted in favour today.

Opposition is fuming and will be calling for a referendum.
:toot: congrats

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’ve had a train trip that was a bit of blast from the past, especially the return leg. The WARS waiter was either drunk or hopped up on drugs (very friendly but also would forget everyone’s order immediately after taking it) and they were selling vodka shots unofficially from under the counter. It felt like the 90s.

It’s also fun to listen to the train director attempting to deliver their line through the PA. They have to welcome the passengers on board after every station, give basic information about the route and travel time and advise about possible connections before and after every station. 90% don’t speak English at all and are reading from a cue card, but they’ll usually just mumble through most of the sentences making English-like noises. The dude yesterday just gave up halfway through a sentence and stopped.

I don’t hold it against them - if anything, if PKP Intercity demands them to use English, they should pay for their training but since it’s a privatized poo poo show, nobody gives a gently caress. At least they don’t play Chopin clips on every station like they do on the Pendolino.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I don't use the train often but in my experience someone on the staff being drunk is a fairly common occurrence. My friend once tried to buy a ticket after boarding the train and the shitfaced conductor just winked and told him some phrase to say to person checking tickets so they don't bother him. Which worked and they were also drunk

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I travel a fair bit, but on international trains mostly. The local “ekspres” trains and TLK are a world of its own.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've used to commute by train, but I kind of want to get to work on time and not check for "unforeseen circumstances" as to why the train is delayed/cancelled. Like it being hot in the summer, or below freezing in the winter. Or rain, wind, etc.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Mokotow posted:

I’ve had a train trip that was a bit of blast from the past, especially the return leg. The WARS waiter was either drunk or hopped up on drugs (very friendly but also would forget everyone’s order immediately after taking it) and they were selling vodka shots unofficially from under the counter. It felt like the 90s.

It’s also fun to listen to the train director attempting to deliver their line through the PA. They have to welcome the passengers on board after every station, give basic information about the route and travel time and advise about possible connections before and after every station. 90% don’t speak English at all and are reading from a cue card, but they’ll usually just mumble through most of the sentences making English-like noises. The dude yesterday just gave up halfway through a sentence and stopped.

I don’t hold it against them - if anything, if PKP Intercity demands them to use English, they should pay for their training but since it’s a privatized poo poo show, nobody gives a gently caress. At least they don’t play Chopin clips on every station like they do on the Pendolino.

I must've been very lucky so far, because every time I use TLK, English lines through the PA are at least understandable. Anyway, while I still prefer Koleje Wielkopolskie (clean, modern trains, average prices, no delays), TLK standards are quite good, especially compared to Przewozy Regionalne. Prices are atrocious tho.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Sooo, Razem, the only actual left wing party in Poland, has decided to leave coalition after literally ALL of its proposals were ignored in coalition agreement signed today. In aforementioned agreement there's no mention about civil unions, no mention about promised payment raise for teachers (big part of electoral campaign, teachers salary is abysmal and previous minister of education was one of the worst motherfuckers in already hosed up government), nothing about liberalization of abortion laws.

gently caress.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

They’re still voting with the coalition though, which is good, and are still part of the left coalition - just not taking any seats in the government.

Not surprising, as their goals are in direct opposition to the actual king makers from Trzecia Droga.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Mokotow posted:

just not taking any seats in the government.

I highly doubt they would get them anyway, so it makes their decision kinda sour grape situation.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

So basically we're in for 4 years of slashing public services and not doing anything about abortion and civil partnerships, and then another takeover by PiS and/or Konfederacja?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I wouldn’t be that pessimistic; we’re two weeks in and they haven’t had a chance to even start their government because PiS won’t let go. I’m not surprised that a coalition of three center-right and small left party split into two is not proclaiming an immediate civil partnership and abortion revolution, as mich as I’d like them to.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

I mean, I'm not so much worried about them doing austerity, because they must realize it's electoral suicide, but I'm not optimistic at all on them doing anything on social issues (with the position being "vote for us - we won't make anything better, but PiS will make them worse")

Edit: but obviously it would be naive to expect anything on that front, considering only parts of KO and the left would be in favour, and that's nowhere near the majority (and also there's the presidential veto to contend with until 2025 anyway), so it wouldn't have happened with or without Razem

Edit edit: and also Razem have form on being very unwilling to compromise at all, so maybe I shouldn't read too much by them doing this once more.

Bemused Observer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 10, 2023

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Bemused Observer posted:

So basically we're in for 4 years of slashing public services and not doing anything about abortion and civil partnerships, and then another takeover by PiS and/or Konfederacja?

Most likely

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Bemused Observer posted:

Yes.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Blast. Oh well, could have been worse!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Don't worry.

Germany will come to your rescue. :v:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Scholz Nein: Ostpolitik
Scholz Ja: Osterweiterung

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Antigravitas posted:

Don't worry.

So Gott will

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Antigravitas posted:

Don't worry.

Third time lucky, I suppose.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Antigravitas posted:

Don't worry.

I, for one, welcome our new German overlords.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Szarrukin posted:

I, for one, welcome our new German overlords.

:same:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
in today's weekend roundup of amusing news from eastern-er europe, a bunch of russian officials confusedly reach for their translation earpieces as tokayev delivers state visit salutations in kazakh

https://twitter.com/b_nishanov/status/1722697778076254468

> Putin likely rankled his host by mispronouncing the Kazakh president’s name on several occasions in Astana, at one point calling him “Kemel Jomartovich.” It was not the first such flub for Putin, who previously has called Tokayev – whose patronymic is Kemeluly (or Russified, Kemelovich) – “Kemel Jomartovich,” as well as mangling the Kazakh president’s patronymic in a variety of other ways, Tokayev’s use of Kazakh may have been his way of offsetting Putin’s disses with a diss of his own.

lavrov please, can you give your charge the barest minimum of diplomatic coaching. i know he's got a lot on his mind, but goddamn, that is a class-a fuckup

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

Don't worry.

Let's preempt that by declaring total war of conquest on the Czechs and surrendering immediately after.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Let's go back to the Munich agreement borders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I could be persuaded for the return of the kingdom of Wenceslaus II.