Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did the Food Chain episode of Adventure Time air during the regular broadcast because I don't remember that poo poo at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

muscles like this! posted:

Did the Food Chain episode of Adventure Time air during the regular broadcast because I don't remember that poo poo at all.

It did and I loved it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just finished the mainline series (the 45-minute finale) and

:wtf::lol::lmao::smithicide:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Now watch Distant Lands (and Fionna & Cake if you haven’t already)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They're up next but it's a school night

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I just finished Puhoy, those kinds of episodes always gently caress me up. Every so often I feel a bit burnt out going through this show and then it throws out a 10/10 episode

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

FireWorksWell posted:

I just finished Puhoy, those kinds of episodes always gently caress me up. Every so often I feel a bit burnt out going through this show and then it throws out a 10/10 episode

I think that's one of the best in the whole show. When people ask what episodes to check out to see what the show's like, my go to's are What Was Missing (character and music), Puhoy (art) and BMO Lost (focus on a side character).

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

It really was a gorgeous little world.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Finn going from Jeremy Shada to Johnathan Frakes to Christopher Plummer David Bradley is a hell of a character arc.

Edit: I am not as good as placing voices as I think I am

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 9, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I definitely need to start a full rewatch of Adventure Time. At this point it's definitely in my top 10 shows of all time, it's just I'm worried the nostalgia will hit me too hard

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Scavengers Reign finale spoilers:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Started watching Scavengers Reign after a big delay. Up to ep 7 and the Professor X Panda is loving terrifying.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FireWorksWell posted:

Seeing Golb at the end of Puhoy was a real mindfuck. I didn't remember it had been introduced so early.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nameless Pete posted:

Finn going from Jeremy Shada to Johnathan Frakes to Christopher Plummer David Bradley is a hell of a character arc.

Edit: I am not as good as placing voices as I think I am

Oh hai Wallace Shawn :buddy:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Data Graham posted:

Just finished the mainline series (the 45-minute finale) and

I think the people who give the awards only see that one episode
So why would they give it to something that's payoff when they can give it to something that's a one off, even if that second something is absolute shite

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Seeing Golb at the end of Puhoy was a real mindfuck. I didn't remember it had been introduced so early.

Golb? Did I miss something or is that a later episode?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Nameless Pete posted:

I enjoyed the show a lot but I think the promotional tweet about "big swings" and avoiding spoilers set my expectations a bit high for the finale. I was expecting something completely off the wall and paradigm changing and that didn't really happen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FireWorksWell posted:

Golb? Did I miss something or is that a later episode?

You will learn about Golb in time.

Scavengers Reign final eps were real fuckin good. What a great little show that was!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

That was Golb's first appearance, and it felt like just some random weirdness at the time. I like the Lich's title during one of his monologues to Finn.

The theory is Golb was there to devour the pillow world, because it would no longer exist without Finn there.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, having watched the Castlevania anime for the first time recently I discovered it was made by (or at least had some involvement with) the same studio behind Adventure Time

Haven’t seen Nocturne yet but have they said anything about possibly doing more with the series in the future?

Nocturne already got a greenlight for season 2, which I think is currently in production. Hopefully it does well enough for them to invest in a seasons 3 and 4 to knock out SOTN and one of the modern era storylines to wrap everything up.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Started watching Scavengers Reign after a big delay. Up to ep 7 and the Professor X Panda is loving terrifying.

Yeah I hate that loving esper panda, dude is freaky. I'm only up to episode 7 so I need to catch up but I do wonder if the esper panda absorbed some affinity for violence from Kamen as a result of their initial interactions, and then just rolled with it as Kamen did his typical "be a self-centered fuckup" thing. The rest of them seemed fairly benign, but who knows really.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Wasn’t there an entire graveyard of stuff those weird psychic frog pandas are eating that were also being regenerated by some flowers? got the impression it was just kinda their thing

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I enjoyed the show a lot but I think the promotional tweet about "big swings" and avoiding spoilers set my expectations a bit high for the finale. I was expecting something completely off the wall and paradigm changing and that didn't really happen.

I mean. It kinda did. But only in the last couple minutes with the space cult that obviously has some origin linked to that planet. And the all-organic Levis. Do we have any idea how many seasons they've been signed for or are planning? Because there's a whole lotta room for more world-building.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Scavengers Reign was great but I almost hope it stays as one perfect season. So much great imagery, absolutely off the charts. And I'm guessing even with all that it was still a lot cheaper to make than many series because the designs were great and moved well but weren't super complicated to draw.

As I was watching this episode and especially with the bit at the end I kept thinking 'they should make a Locked Tomb series and animate it exactly like this."

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 10, 2023

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm not done with Scavenger's Reign yet and I've been getting serious Space Dandy vibes with how alien everything is.

I've really been liking that since it allows them to just go nuts with it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ccs posted:

Scavengers Reign was great but I almost hope it stays as one perfect season. So much great imagery, absolutely off the charts. And I'm guessing even with all that it was still a lot cheaper to make than many series because the designs were great and moved well but weren't super complicated to draw.

As I was watching this episode and especially with the bit at the end I kept thinking 'they should make a Locked Tomb series and animate it exactly like this."

I would have agreed, but the possible next season hook is intriguing. If it does happen though, I hope it mostly follows a new cast of characters. There isn't a need to go back to the planet.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I really loved the shot of the fungus touching Levi's circuitry like The Creation of Adam rotated ninety degrees.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

There definitely were some interesting developments in the Scavengers Reign finale, space catholics and baby levis have pretty big implications, along with everything else going on, like Kamen surviving in what is now Demetertown.

I could definitely watch another season of this, but I would be content if it was left at what it was.

Now to finish up the other surprisingly good adult animation that came out of left field lately with Blue Eye Samurai.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
These days I see $150 million movies on Friday that I barely remember by Monday. It's become really really rare that I read/watch something special that sticks with me. Scavenger's Reign is going to stick with me. Sad, beautiful, horrific, lyrical. Just gorgeous.

Also holy poo poo I had my fingers crossed so hard for that exact thing happening for Levi, that the symbiotic slime mold would pull her back together to have Vesta adventures and kick that loving frog-slug's rear end

e: I didn't expect her to have babies though! they were adorable

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 10, 2023

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

Nameless Pete posted:

LOL so true!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

AlternateNu posted:

I mean. It kinda did. But only in the last couple minutes with the space cult that obviously has some origin linked to that planet. And the all-organic Levis. Do we have any idea how many seasons they've been signed for or are planning? Because there's a whole lotta room for more world-building.

More scavenger's reign stuff!
I don't know why you think the space cult is linked to the planet. They felt pretty Catholic to me, down to the big stained glass window and golden front of the ship and the incense.

What a great show, I'm going to miss it and I would LIKE a second series but it's not a big deal if it doesn't get one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm confused that there's apparently no means of long-range communication (i.e. better than those hand radios) even on the Demeter? They can't signal to anyone to come get them?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Scavengers Reign was drat near perfect. I'm sure they could make more of it and it would probably be pretty cool but I don't know how anything that follows would have as much impact. Everything felt so perfectly crafted, alien, dangerous and yet the human elements are what really matters. Even the questions about this world and universe feel like part of the story. I hope it always stays mysterious.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

AlternateNu posted:

Man a show like this does not need more “world building” imo. It shines and is at its most audacious when it’s concerned with the sublime. I’m thinking of the scene with Ursula in the bramble and what she witnesses, something potent with meaning that she can’t quite grasp. When it moves into more standard story beats at the end (while still good) it kinda loses that.

It reminds me of Annihilation, or more so, Authority (which had the same issue n Acceptance when it strained to provide some explanation which just came off as impotent).

It brings up this line from Pynchon for me:
“She looked down a slope, needing to squint for the sunlight, onto a vast sprawl of houses which had grown up all together, like a well-tended crop, from the dull brown earth; and she thought of the time she’d opened a transistor radio to replace a battery and seen her first printed circuit. The ordered swirl of houses and streets, from this high angle, sprang at her now with the same unexpected, astonishing clarity as the circuit card had. Though she knew even less about radios than about Southern Californians, there were to both outward patterns a hieroglyphic sense of concealed meaning, of an intent to communicate. There’d seemed no limit to what the printed circuit could have told her (if she had tried to find out); so in her first minute of San Narciso, a revelation also trembled just past the threshold of her understanding.”

That feeling of a concealed meaning, trembling just beyond the edge of your understanding. Something vital is being communicated by the fauna that we are incapable of grasping.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Data Graham posted:

I'm confused that there's apparently no means of long-range communication (i.e. better than those hand radios) even on the Demeter? They can't signal to anyone to come get them?

This is addressed in the first episode. It’s not. “Can’t” it’s “won’t”. They’re written off on a ledger somewhere. They’ll get a tax credit for losing the ship maybe.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Danger posted:

This is addressed in the first episode. It’s not. “Can’t” it’s “won’t”. They’re written off on a ledger somewhere. They’ll get a tax credit for losing the ship maybe.

David Zaslav, now a brain floating in a jar, receives a report regarding a missing mining vessel. "Excellent," he bubbles through the viscous, nutrient-rich brain fluid, "the write-off for the Demeter will easily cover the losses and fund another season of 90-Day Fiancée!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Surely by then he will have found a way to make taxpayers give him money both for not-releasing something to help fuel the budget to not-release 90 day fiance to make even more money not releasing things.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Surely by then he will have found a way to make taxpayers give him money both for not-releasing something to help fuel the budget to not-release 90 day fiance to make even more money not releasing things.

I mean he just Zaslav'd a Wile E. Coyote movie starring John Cena for a $30mil tax kickback, so he hasn't found enough money yet, clearly.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Danger posted:

Man a show like this does not need more “world building” imo. It shines and is at its most audacious when it’s concerned with the sublime. I’m thinking of the scene with Ursula in the bramble and what she witnesses, something potent with meaning that she can’t quite grasp. When it moves into more standard story beats at the end (while still good) it kinda loses that.

That feeling of a concealed meaning, trembling just beyond the edge of your understanding. Something vital is being communicated by the fauna that we are incapable of grasping.

Yeah I'm with this. Caught up on the back half of the season tonight and I would be content not having anything else expanded on or explained about this show. It was great and had a lot of stuff that will stay with me for a while but feels like the narrative was sufficiently tied up. Real "things are going to be okay but they're going to be different" sentiment overall.

If they have more story to tell then great but the whole vibe relies on acknowledging and accepting that there is a logic to planet Versa and the universe writ large that we cannot grasp. Trying to unpack that would be a fool's errand.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mat Cauthon posted:

If they have more story to tell then great but the whole vibe relies on acknowledging and accepting that there is a logic to planet Versa and the universe writ large that we cannot grasp. Trying to unpack that would be a fool's errand.

I was trying to think of a way to say this.

If we get another season I want it to be on another alien planet that has different impossible creatures doing impossible things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

limp_cheese posted:

I was trying to think of a way to say this.

If we get another season I want it to be on another alien planet that has different impossible creatures doing impossible things.

Doesn't even seem that far fetched - even the scavengers seemed pretty blasé about the creatures and stuff they found, meaning that other planets are similarly wacky