Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Arquinsiel posted:

For me the difference was the playerbase. There was a guy in college who was famous for saying "hello" to people by giving them a nipple twister and not bothering to check who was in the mumble server when him and his girlfriend had weird cybersex. Him and his girlfriend were the least terrible people I encountered during my month in WoW. SWTOR, by comparison, is full of extremely friendly people who actually help newbies out.
That does match my impression as well. It's nice that pretty much wherever you go in SWTOR, there'll be some inexperienced player asking some basic questions in General and getting a fairly prompt, polite and accurate response from someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Anyway, something that wasn't revealed in the dev stream but has become apparent on the PTS is that 7.4 is bringing various graphical updates to old game assets! :wow:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Looks great. When is the release date

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Pryce posted:

You mean like how Casey Hudson repeatedly said in company-wide meetings how proud he was of Anthem for being the 'first-ever live service game for BioWare' and how that team had done a great job teaching Bioware how server-based games operated and how they had solved problems no other BioWare game ever had to solve for multiplayer? And that even when corrected he'd double down and suggest that SWTOR 'didn't count'? And that he had to be constantly reminded to include SWTOR in company-wide meetings or announcements and had to constantly be proactively asked to congratulate SWTOR on shipping expansions or reaching milestones?

Nah, I don't think I should dish on that sort of gossip.

Is this due to disdain for SWTOR or more because Casey was OG Edmonton and I've heard that Edmonton pretty much disregarded the BIoware name outside Edmonton?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Medullah posted:

I always hear stories of how lovely goons are in other games, but I think we had a good group of guys playing when we were playing regularly.

Except Oedzi, of course, he would always PM me asking for pictures of my right testicle (specifically demanding I do NOT include the left in the picture)

There are a ton of WoW goons so I can't really paint everyone with one brush of course, but there are plenty of good, sane, respectful people playing WoW. The "main" live Goon Squad is not the mid-2000s guild it was back in the mid-2000s, thank god. Most of us have grown up. Always outliers, but.

That said I always have fun chatting on the SWTOR discord too except for the one weirdo who brings up politics for no reason.

Arquinsiel posted:

For me the difference was the playerbase. There was a guy in college who was famous for saying "hello" to people by giving them a nipple twister and not bothering to check who was in the mumble server when him and his girlfriend had weird cybersex. Him and his girlfriend were the least terrible people I encountered during my month in WoW. SWTOR, by comparison, is full of extremely friendly people who actually help newbies out.

Wow you've had some bad experiences, but. I have to admit my pubbie experiences in WoW and SWTOR are overall pretty similar. Some helpful folks, some terrible shitheads who will kick you for not knowing instance skips, and a lot of quiet people who exist in between those extremes.

Edit: This all is not to bash SWTOR or laud WoW, to be clear. I love both games, I just don't think it's quite as simple as playerbase 1 bad, playerbase 2 good.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, there was a decade between my experience of one and the other. The internet has changed a lot in that timeframe.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Any word when 7.4 releases?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Nothing concrete yet, but early-ish December seems likely. In the meantime, PvP Season 4 is starting this Tuesday.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm 100 percent back in. Got resubbed - started ANOTHER Sith Warrior. Bought the new Ashoka armor because it shows off your back and looks rad.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Shard posted:

I'm 100 percent back in. Got resubbed - started ANOTHER Sith Warrior. Bought the new Ashoka armor because it shows off your back and looks rad.

If you need any credits, I can help with that (I'm on Star Forge). Lately I've been on a kick where I go to a starting planet, set up shop, and basically advertise giving away 1 million credits to new/low level players, no strings attached. I've been playing on and off since shortly after launch and I have a lot of credits and honestly not a whole lot to spend them on. This game has treated me well over the years, and I like to pass that on.

I've been thinking about starting over from scratch, but can't really decide on a class. I've done all of the class stories, though some I did quite a long time ago. It's been quite a long time since I did Trooper, Agent, or Smuggler. Tried Smuggler recently but the dialog really irritates me for some reason. Maybe Concealment Operative Trooper? Regardless of what storyline I choose, I have to have stealth. I just get so tired of slogging through the same mobs over and over again, and stealth is just fun. Honestly, separating class story from combat style was one of the best changes the game has made in a long time.

I've also never tried a fully DS Inquisitor because I'm a huge softy, but I hear it's fun in a sadistic way.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I might have gotten some from you in the past haha. I remember I was on DK months back and someone handed out probably close to a billion credits to a bunch of players.

I'm pretty sure I'm on Star Forge. Or Satele Shan one of the two.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

That was probably me! At least, I haven't seen anyone else doing it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mushika posted:

I've also never tried a fully DS Inquisitor because I'm a huge softy, but I hear it's fun in a sadistic way.

it's hilarious, but my problem with it last time i played was that if you turned on force corruption effects on your character you couldn't modify how Emperor Palpatine you looked - it automatically applies it to you based on your dark side level

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

700 matches from Elite Warlord, so - with luck - I will polish that off this season. Then I just need to Master Mode KotET and I am free, free!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Reinstalled on a whim, I've got all the class stories complete and a trooper at 66 where I got sick of the KOTFE story halfway through it coming out. What's the current kinda stuff I should be doing at that point?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Moreau posted:

700 matches from Elite Warlord, so - with luck - I will polish that off this season. Then I just need to Master Mode KotET and I am free, free!

The valor grind is real, I wish they'd make it legacy wide. I have so may Valor level 90-95 characters, but have not hit 100.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Reinstalled on a whim, I've got all the class stories complete and a trooper at 66 where I got sick of the KOTFE story halfway through it coming out. What's the current kinda stuff I should be doing at that point?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but if you're asking whether there's anything in particular you need to do in order to continue where you left off, then the answer is no. The current level cap and gear very much postdate KotFE and KotET, so those will sort themselves out if you just go through the game's content. What level you are at any given point isn't that important anyway, given that it's not very difficult to reach level 80 long before starting on the current expansion and level sync means you'll always be appropriately powerful (or weak) for any given planet or story instance.

And if you can't be bothered to finish KotFE/KotET, you can also go to your ship and use the console near the big holoterminal to skip to either of the two storylines immediately following the aforementioned expansions. In general, either find that console or look at your mission list to find out what's next - more recent content will automatically give you the next mission if you've finished all solo stuff up to that point.

All this being said: if you haven't done so yet, I'd definitely recommend reading the second (i.e. non-spoilery) part of this post to get an idea of how the game works in general now. There's been quite a few changes over the past years.

duddits
Dec 22, 2009
Welp, resubbed after about six months of not playing and found out the hundreds of millions of credits i had in legacy storage are gone. That kind of took the shine off my return.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

duddits posted:

Welp, resubbed after about six months of not playing and found out the hundreds of millions of credits i had in legacy storage are gone. That kind of took the shine off my return.

where did they go??

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

duddits posted:

Credits don't just disappear, are you maybe looking on the wrong server?

duddits
Dec 22, 2009
No clue where or why. I'm only on one server. I put them all in before my last unsubscribe for easier access than paying cartel coins for escrow access, and I returned to zero.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe someone stole your poo poo? I don't know if there's a way to track login history, but might want to reach out to in-game support about that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

duddits posted:

No clue where or why. I'm only on one server. I put them all in before my last unsubscribe for easier access than paying cartel coins for escrow access, and I returned to zero.

credits do not just vanish in this game. they just don't. so either you were compromised and your credits stolen, or you misplaced them or forgot something about what you had done with them.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I logged back in and all my credits were down to a million. when i resubbed they came back so I can say at least for me they didn't just disappear after 6 months. You may have been robbed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is it because of the credit cap if you aren't subscribed? You can only hold so many credits at a time as a f2p/premium player (the rest are held in escrow that you can draw from when you go below the cap), though I'd hope that would be communicated in a way that doesn't make it feel like you've gone bankrupt the first time you log in after a long break.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Legacy storage shouldn't have that low a cap IIRC.

Everyone enjoy today's survey?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Legacy storage shouldn't have that low a cap IIRC.

I didn't get it.

Legacy cap is around 429 billion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arquinsiel posted:

I didn't get one. Maybe it's only for current subscribers?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, it was for people who haven't subscribed in ages it seems. They were asking me what perks would convince me to subscribe again basically.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I haven't subscribed since... Onslaught, I think was the last 'expansion' that required you to subscribe to get it?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Nah, it was for people who haven't subscribed in ages it seems. They were asking me what perks would convince me to subscribe again basically.

I got one and I've been subscribed since day one, never missed.

Do you remember your first 5 hours in SWToR? uhhh that was eleven years ago...

Yeah then it went into questions about my F2P experience... :confused: I put in random answers to see all the questions and apparently you can't go back so oh well.

My man just give me Star Wars stories with choices that matter not this railroad poo poo where I watch Shae Vizla do neat stuff while my character is basically a bystander.

Also stop loving with the UI for no reason.

Medullah posted:

I didn't get it.

Legacy cap is around 429 billion.

104. You're probably getting confused with the per character limit of 4.29 billion.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

104. You're probably getting confused with the per character limit of 4.29 billion.

Hmm I thought it was 429, but it's been a while since I was even close to 100 anyway.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I haven't subscribed since... Onslaught, I think was the last 'expansion' that required you to subscribe to get it?
Onslaught was followed by the current expansion, and I'm reasonably certain you don't get access to it unless you've subscribed at any one time after its launch.

Anyway I'm subscribed and I got a survey invite as well. It just seems to be randomised who gets one or when, they haven't all been sent out simultaneously.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

if someone wants to give me 104 billion i can test the limit for you

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm still not really liking a lot of KOTFE but, cheap trick as it was, I did get a kick out of them playing Vode An

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

More productively: first off, since it seems you're capped at the number of weekly seasonal things you can do should you just do the highest return ones? And is there any point to getting more conquest points past your personal and guild weeklies?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

More productively: first off, since it seems you're capped at the number of weekly seasonal things you can do should you just do the highest return ones? And is there any point to getting more conquest points past your personal and guild weeklies?

Really depends on if you are trying to finish the season. If you're just now starting, you'll want to do the 12 point ones along with the daily 2 points for getting 25k conquest points. A tip for this one, clicking one Reputation item per day gives you 45k points, so you can get every day's points with one click. We're 7 weeks into GS5 so you'll likely not hit the 800 points you need, but you can try. I actually have a spreadsheet I can post that does the math for you if you'd like.

There is no personal advantage to getting more than 100k other than helping your guild hit the invasion target so you get rewards the following week as well.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

A tip for this one, clicking one Reputation item per day gives you 45k points, so you can get every day's points with one click.
It should be noted that this is with all the Stronghold bonuses; if you only have, say, one or two SHs and you haven't unlocked all their areas, you'll be getting significantly less points per Conquest objective.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I actually have a spreadsheet I can post that does the math for you if you'd like.

quote:

There is no personal advantage to getting more than 100k other than helping your guild hit the invasion target so you get rewards the following week as well.

One of the changes I've been wanting for awhile is for Conquest rewards to be tiered...say basic rewards at 100k, better at 500k, best at 1000k for example.

Do this with the Weeklies you can repeat as well...instead of a single 0/12 Weekly do 0/36 and give better rewards every 12 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

You think that's bad you should see my Dead By Daylight tracking sheet