Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Open Source Idiom posted:

The AV club sucks, and Gajjar is a particularly terrible writer ("But even their dynamic spins in circles as they disagree yet again, potentially reaching a point of no return." -- a dynamic both goes nowhere and reaches somewhere? Can an interpersonal dynamic even spin?). I'm not concerned by this tbh.

They get paid by the question mark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Amazon should option the Turtledove World War series. I wanna watch Alt-History Patton fight the battle of Chicago against space fairing lizards.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Amazon should option the Turtledove World War series. I wanna watch Alt-History Patton fight the battle of Chicago against space fairing lizards.

Do it got fighter planes? Because P-51s vs alien lizards sounds like someone scanned my brain when i was asleep.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Vegetable posted:

Reviews for the latest season are actually pretty good, so I guess I’ll be watching it.

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/for-all-mankind/season-4/

Counter point: Television reviewers are some of the dumbest loving people on the planet who are so starved for actual good content they rank mid entries as top tier.

Following trends this will be the worst season yet, but I'll still watch it. Can't wait to see how they gently caress up making wild space poo poo boring with more drama no one gives a poo poo about. Wonder who will be the series new loveable pedophile creep?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

yes yes my kingdom for this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
First episode was pretty fun. I guess they are doing something with Margot but I don't really care. She seems irrelevant considering she's just lived in Russia for 10 years and hasn't worked with space stuff.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
They should put Margot in charge of the first North Korean O’Neill cylindr. Bring Juche to L5

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Oh poo poo, they got Harvey Weinstein in 1999. That's pretty great

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Oh poo poo, they got Harvey Weinstein in 1999. That's pretty great
So many good films never made

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

New season: space poo poo still good, earth poo poo still bad

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kwolok posted:

who will be the series new loveable pedophile creep?

Ed

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Thought you meant Timeline 191 there
Which would be a pretty interesting show to do, although it's way too close to real history and would probably annoy people

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Vegetable posted:

So many good films never made

Did they imprison him for crimes against humanity after Shakespeare in Love (1998)?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

As soon as they showed cables in space it was pretty certain someone was gonna die, real vibes of the fast spinning space hotel.

I don't get why they didn't just seperate earlier, if the connection was wobbling and shaking the ship just seperate, back off a few meters, and take all the time you want to figure out a next step. Seemed silly that detaching immediately made them shoot away.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Senor Tron posted:

As soon as they showed cables in space it was pretty certain someone was gonna die, real vibes of the fast spinning space hotel.

I don't get why they didn't just seperate earlier, if the connection was wobbling and shaking the ship just seperate, back off a few meters, and take all the time you want to figure out a next step. Seemed silly that detaching immediately made them shoot away.

Maybe the RCS'd backwards to clear the debris, Asteroid would have been hammering along.

Seemed like a weird idea to move one, a single point of connection with no real way of flipping it for a deceleration burn. Designed specifically for a fail scene.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The second dude just being "other" in the reports of their deaths was a pretty brutal way of showing just how not special people in space are now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I’m going to guess Danny killed himself and Ed hasn’t come home because the regret he feels about it.

I’m excited to see where Miles’ plot goes.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Poole's still the best.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Only plot I'm not really interested as of the first episode is Aleida's. Like her having developed ptsd or something isn't that strange but I don't see how that follows any of her past history that much. I thought she would be in a higher position withing the space program at this point.

Margo's plot. It could be interesting but it's hard to see how much if anything about it could connect with what's going on on Mars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It seemed kind of telling that we didn't see Danny at all. I wonder if he found that gun the Best Korean guy buried and shot himself in his capsule prison. Also, I just realized that any museum they do in the future will be hosed. "This is the capsule that landed the first humans on Mars. It was later turned into a prison after a pill popper killed a bunch of people."

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Maybe the RCS'd backwards to clear the debris, Asteroid would have been hammering along.

Seemed like a weird idea to move one, a single point of connection with no real way of flipping it for a deceleration burn. Designed specifically for a fail scene.

I was trying to sort out the physics of this, I would have expected those cables to be put in that configuration if you were PULLING the asteroid instead of pushing it. Pushing it would make those cables go slack and not really serve much of a purpose. Unless somehow those cables, if properly taught, would pull all the force of the asteroid toward the attachment point allowing them to control the trajectory better?

Seemed unintuitive and scientifically wrong?

But I'm not a scientist.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Senor Tron posted:

The second dude just being "other" in the reports of their deaths was a pretty brutal way of showing just how not special people in space are now.

Wasn’t this a plot point in the previous season? IIRC it was when the rocket blew up on the launch pad and someone high up died along with random technicians. I think it was Gene who blew up so maybe season 2? There was an emotional moment from someone about how nobody could even care to learn the names of the other people who died or something. IIRC WvB also had a scene where he said he remembers everyone’s names or something.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
In the extras I think the year 1999 one mentioned something about the Osiris Rex Benu asteroid sample return mission being successful (and obviously happening in the 90s instead of tyool 2023 in real life). Have people mathed out if this mission could have worked if launched in the 90s?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I was trying to sort out the physics of this, I would have expected those cables to be put in that configuration if you were PULLING the asteroid instead of pushing it. Pushing it would make those cables go slack and not really serve much of a purpose. Unless somehow those cables, if properly taught, would pull all the force of the asteroid toward the attachment point allowing them to control the trajectory better?

But I'm not a scientist.

Yeah I also assumed it was going to be pulled. Or if they were going to push it, put an unmanned craft on the thing to not risk human life while things get hosed up. Seems like it would be much easier to do that and then let a smaller manned craft move back in to fix issues after any catastrophic issues settled down. Maybe this was all just a set piece to set up the "Your cowboy methods of just doing whatever clearly do not work, we need to rethink how the command structure works."

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Lotta expectations of scientific accuracy in a show that has been Days of our Space Lives far longer than it was ever alt history in space

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

TraderStav posted:

But I'm not a scientist.

I mean... I ideally you would build a frame around it and drill into it like a broken leg turn that into a remote ship. There's also a fairly good shot the thing is a gravel cloud. I imagine changing the orbit of something that size would require more energy than that ship is capable of. Everything you do to it changes it's mass. Strapping a giant metal tower to it for sure induces a wobble at the very least

E: Also not a scientist, very math dumb. But I can spot a point of failure like a hawk. I'm guessing country fried chicken brain rig guy is going to dumb them down a tad and they do it cowboy style

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 10, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Also I think the way they showed moving the asteroid makes sense. The cables are there to keep the tower that the rocket docks to standing upright. The tower is already sitting on the rock, so the only way slack can come into play is if the tower tilts over one way. When that happens one cable gets slack but the cable opposite it resists and pulls back, uprighting the tower.

The problem they faced was that one of the cable anchors just flat out failed due to corners being cut.

A pulling configuration seems more dangerous for the crew and you’d have to have some long cables to tow the rock behind you at some distance so that it’s far behind you enough that your rocket engine exhaust wont be blasted right into the rock. This makes controlling your rocket and asteroid much harder as well.

E: what didn’t make sense to me in that whole sequence was the bit about de spinning the asteroid. Like how would you even do that.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 10, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I love yet again that almost all of the dire problems of the show could have been avoided if the dumbass astronauts just listened to mission control.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: what didn’t make sense to me in that whole sequence was the bit about de spinning the asteroid. Like how would you even do that.

Yeah that was funny, just "despinning complete!" Hey wait back that poo poo up, I want to see how you pulled that off. Not something you just toss off with a "yep, that's done *dusts off hands*"

I was going to ask if anyone recognized where the Russia scenes were filmed, but I saw in the credits it was Bulgaria. I was going to say a lot of it looked a drat lot like Lviv, in terms of how the sidewalks work (flush with the street and with the planter strip), but lol @ filming in Ukraine as a stand-in for Russia at this point. I did really enjoy the alt-USSR with a much more prosperous and vibrant look to it than I'd ever seen before, but extremely subtly done — it wasn't some paradise, there's graffiti and people still look cold and miserable, but they don't look the tired kind of miserable you always get in truer period stuff, with the breadlines and the Ladas and the constant surveillance (though that's there to be sure, as is the SKULDUGGERY [phone number lady]). Margo stopping in to a cheery hip little coffee shop for baked goods handed over by a smiling chubby bearded Santa guy (who is happy to give her extras and shake on more sugar, there's plenty to spare) is so not what you expect. It's nice to imagine Russia managing to become a nice place to be, more or less naturally. (Gorbachev staying in power all this time being the reason for it is pretty drat hagiographic even if people were grumbling about him)

Appreciated that she makes Turkish coffee in her apartment too.

I liked the Mac OS X liquid-style buttons on the communicator, for some reason the Aqua interface arrived bang on time.

Writing mystery that may have in fact happened before in this very thread: how is it that the writer can have a character saying "step foot" in one scene (the newscaster), and then another one correctly saying "SET foot" in another scene later? Multiple writers handling different scenes and no editors? I mean maybe it's verisimilitude but you'd think a newscaster would have an editor too

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kwolok posted:

I love yet again that almost all of the dire problems of the show could have been avoided if the dumbass astronauts just listened to mission control.
Somehow Ed will keep his job

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can't show you how to do everything, Boris. You just de-spin the asteroid.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also I think the way they showed moving the asteroid makes sense. The cables are there to keep the tower that the rocket docks to standing upright. The tower is already sitting on the rock, so the only way slack can come into play is if the tower tilts over one way. When that happens one cable gets slack but the cable opposite it resists and pulls back, uprighting the tower.

The problem they faced was that one of the cable anchors just flat out failed due to corners being cut.

A pulling configuration seems more dangerous for the crew and you’d have to have some long cables to tow the rock behind you at some distance so that it’s far behind you enough that your rocket engine exhaust wont be blasted right into the rock. This makes controlling your rocket and asteroid much harder as well.

There's no way anchoring that thing from the bottom would hold it upright in a hurricane, let alone any kind of maneuvering in a vacuum. It wouldn't pass the spit balling phase around engineers.

As for the despinning, i'll let em have it, because explaining and making it look cool would eat up half the season budget

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wasn’t this a plot point in the previous season? IIRC it was when the rocket blew up on the launch pad and someone high up died along with random technicians. I think it was Gene who blew up so maybe season 2? There was an emotional moment from someone about how nobody could even care to learn the names of the other people who died or something. IIRC WvB also had a scene where he said he remembers everyone’s names or something.

Gene blows up in season 1; the scene mentioning of the other ground crew getting a plaque but no recognition is season 2 by Bill to Aleida.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

I can't show you how to do everything, Boris. You just de-spin the asteroid.

Well could you show me … одна вещь

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i like wilson picking h.w. bush as her running mate despite him being from texas and also being extremely anti-gay

also not surprising that the literal octogenarian h.w. bush lost the election in 2004

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

i like wilson picking h.w. bush as her running mate despite him being from texas and also being extremely anti-gay

also not surprising that the literal octogenarian h.w. bush lost the election in 2004

In the For All Mankind universe, George H. W. Bush moved back to Connecticut after his Texan oil ventures crashed and burned because of the abundance of clean energy.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

west virginia voting for the impeached, scandal-ridden, openly gay, anti-coal, woman republican president in 1996 genuinely owns

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Mariners win the playoffs with Michael Jordon on the team is the least plausible part of this whole series; there’s no alternate universe/history/timeline where that would happen.

(Just binged S1-3 and got a rude awakening I was only able to watch Ep 1 of S4. Now I have to wait )

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Data Graham posted:

It's nice to imagine Russia managing to become a nice place to be, more or less naturally. (Gorbachev staying in power all this time being the reason for it is pretty drat hagiographic even if people were grumbling about him)

From the connecting shorts it seems a bit part of it is the USSR exporting most of the resources needed for electric vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

moving an asteroid by towing it far behind the ship looked more realistic when they did it that way in the Expanse