Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Eve sets them both up on a blind date and a woman shows up, Frasier invites her in assuming she is his date. Played by June Diane Rafael. While Frasier starts cooking dinner for two in the kitchen, Freddie comes in from his room and assumes that she is his date. So they both try to figure out whose date she is without asking.

Ok that makes a lot more sense, I had assumed a double date scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i wonder how much was taken out of the apartment set budget for the multiple Harvard sets

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I was surprised that the laugh track didn’t make it bad.

Like anything, the laughtrack is a tool, and a lot of people are soured on it by bad sitcoms using it as a crutch. I think it always worked for Frasier because of the very stage play feel to it, Victorian farce in particular.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Imagine a night in Vegas with Kelsey Grammar. Goddamn that'd be unbelievable.

It's been said itt that the brundlefly of Frasier and Always Sunny is just irl Kelsey Grammar.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Now I wanna hear Kelsey Grammar say “so anyway I started blasting.”

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like anything, the laughtrack is a tool, and a lot of people are soured on it by bad sitcoms using it as a crutch. I think it always worked for Frasier because of the very stage play feel to it, Victorian farce in particular.

It's been said itt that the brundlefly of Frasier and Always Sunny is just irl Kelsey Grammar.

It feels like it borrows a lot of the good will cheers created by actual people laughing at it, live.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In a good laugh track sitcom, the cast isn’t pausing for laughter, they’re responding to the audience, and you do feel it charge up their performance.

It also helps that the material is actually funny. When there are actual jokes, it feels less stilted. That’s why the Big Bang Theory comes off so poorly. A lot of the laughter is just reference to a nerdy thing, not actual jokes.

A couple years back, I saw a video where they removed the laugh track from friends, and the video’s point was that compared to BBT - there were actual jokes. There was an actual conversation with actual characters, and it was funny. It was awkward because you removed part of the performance.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

ruddiger posted:

Now I wanna hear Kelsey Grammar say “so anyway I started blasting.”

Someone find a gif of his last scene from Money Plane.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rascar Capac posted:

Someone find a gif of his last scene from Money Plane.

This but Transformers: Age of Extinction

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

MONEY PLANE.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Motherfuckin Money Plane

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

You wanna see coke poured into a pepsi glass? Money plane

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If nu-Frasier sneaks in a Money Plane reference anywhere I will permanently rate the series 5 stars.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

June Diane Rafael was a smoke show in that episode too. Good casting where she's definitely too young for Frasier but maybe kind of old for Freddy.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol k

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do apologize for the objectification but I stand by my assessment that she is a smoke show

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Just like her husband.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

Episode 6 definitely has some good moments. Frasier and Freddy can’t decide who is on a date with who, and you get some good character interaction. Plus, Frasier pushing that old lady across the floor.
It was the first farce of the new run. And those were always some of the best of the original.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought a laugh track was canned, pre-recorded laughter, whereas Frasier is and always has been filmed in front of an actual audience.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is the new one filmed with a studio audience? I assumed it wasn't.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

So far my only real complaint is Niles and Daphne's kid. Way too BBT.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's basically Sheldon if Sheldon was not a huge rear end in a top hat and instead was just a doofus. I basically don't mind him too much because he's not really smug at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I hope he begins manifesting psychic powers.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
The comedic role of Niles is split both into Alan and Niles' kid, and the parts that have been split into Niles' kid are the more surface level parts of Niles' persona, so it makes sense that he's more annoying.

Like, Niles was at times pedantic, embarassing, demanding and "bad at performing masculinity" in the Frasier way, but also able to dispense advice and wisdom to Frasier, relate to him in a specific way during the softer moments, and be catty/riff with Frasier's friends.

The former were much more surface level visual gags with him wiping down a chair or failing to ride a bike, with some wit based jokes too. The latter part is what makes the character play a meaningful role on screen, and it softens the surface level aspects considerably.

Now Alan is carrying the latter parts and they only trot out Niles' son for the embarrassing and effeminate gags, but because we see so little of him during any other moments there's no chance to round out the character properly. I'm really hoping they start rounding out his character with the relationship he gets, but also I'm afraid that even then they're going to keep him this way as someone who doesn't learn or grow.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The General posted:

So far my only real complaint is Niles and Daphne's kid. Way too BBT.

The best part about this last episode is that he wasn't in it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just now getting to this. Lmfao that Niles' son meets the dude who wrote his recommendation to get into Harvard for the first time at the airport.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Just now? I'm not sensing a lot of commitment to the franchise DR FRASIER KRANG. :colbert:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Chillmatic posted:

Just now? I'm not sensing a lot of commitment to the franchise DR FRASIER KRANG. :colbert:

The last month or so has been insane with sherry tastings.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Working through Season 2 again now and the episode with Sam is such a bummer because it's great to see Danson and to see Sam interact with these characters (He has a great bit with Roz where she offers to show him around the city and he tells her he knows the city pretty well but he needs help in his hotel room), but after that we get saddled with this lovely plot about how his new woman is suuuuuch a sex addict she even slept with Cliff. Like they did with Rebecca in CHEERS or with Roz in this, the writers don't seem to like Women who like sex.

Luckily the episode after that is the one about how Frasier keeps bumbling into Roz's room and disrespecting her privacy only it keeps escalating each time in classic Frasier Crane fashion.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Frasier (The show, not the character) hates women in that 90s punchline way. It kinda gets better, but not really. They do get better with Roz. Eventually she owns the promiscuity and it works very well.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Watched "The Prestige" the other night and Gil shows up. I didn't know he was in movies, what a nice surprise!

I have at least one movie in my stack that features Anthony La Paglia (Simon Moon) so I'll report back on that when I get to it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anthony LaPaglia stars in Innocent Blood which also has a bunch of Sopranos alumni

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Gil was Nigel Prestwick on Law and Order SVU.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The synopsis for the next 2 episodes is already on IMDb. Looks like we're getting an alum appearance this week. Are there really only 10 episodes scheduled for this season?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

8-13 has been a season of show for awhile now.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
okay lilith's back. im glad the show was revived 10/10

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Craig K posted:

It was a pretty good episode, and not just because of the guest appearance. Frasier was great because you had that dynamic between the three Crane boys. This show is missing that because it's really just Frasier and Freddie (Niles kid is barely a character). Having that third person with Lilith to play off of really helped. I also noticed Kelsey and Bebe were both breaking character and practically laughing at each other's jokes. It was nice :)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Craig K posted:

Ok I’ll watch this ep

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

ruddiger posted:

They are cowards if they never address Freddy’s goth years.

It's referenced in the latest episode.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i can't stand the shoes Frasier is wearing in the apartment

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Siobahn!

June!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019