Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

tony quidtana posted:

What do you think the difference between winter and all season tires and do you think the same properties also apply to racing tires 🤔

Winter tires have a stovepipe hat and a corncob pipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FAUXTON posted:

it would be a similarly lopsided shootout though

One of the Ferrari mechanics would bump their stock of parts leaving them unable to get the cars ready to compete

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thanks Ants posted:

One of the Ferrari mechanics would bump their stock of parts leaving them unable to get the cars ready to compete

they'd try running a fully automatic transmission

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think the Blizzak is overhyped since most people are driving in the winter in what’s more like iceyor mixed conditions, not actual deep snow. For this reason I present for consideration the Michelin X-Ice 3 for more usual winter conditions.

This might be but I moved to New England ages ago and my only car was a twin turbo 300zx. Put a set of Blizzaks on it the first winter here and I would see all kinds of awd poo poo stuck in snow banks or sliding across roads that just felt like I was driving on wet pavement. Felt like a goddamn cheat code, I will never buy anything else after that and they've never let me down.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

My X-Ices make me feel like Tommi Mäkinen. They’re awesome.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

#passione

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

aledesma posted:

#passione

I can think of at least one

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
many drivers have died, so....

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

toadee posted:

This might be but I moved to New England ages ago and my only car was a twin turbo 300zx. Put a set of Blizzaks on it the first winter here and I would see all kinds of awd poo poo stuck in snow banks or sliding across roads that just felt like I was driving on wet pavement. Felt like a goddamn cheat code, I will never buy anything else after that and they've never let me down.

If you get studded winter tires it just turns into a giant joke. I used to take my POS Scirocco out in snowstorms just to blow pass giant modern Trucks and SUVs, it was great. Although in retrospect that was kind of insane expecting a vehicle more than double the weight of mine to not just smear me into a concrete barrier.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

tony quidtana posted:

If you get studded winter tires it just turns into a giant joke. I used to take my POS Scirocco out in snowstorms just to blow pass giant modern Trucks and SUVs, it was great. Although in retrospect that was kind of insane expecting a vehicle more than double the weight of mine to not just smear me into a concrete barrier.

Yeah I mean if you drive in weather that calls for studded tires chances are you’re gonna get smacked by some other idiot in bald all seasons no matter how much traction you have.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I think the Blizzak is overhyped since most people are driving in the winter in what’s more like iceyor mixed conditions, not actual deep snow. For this reason I present for consideration the Michelin X-Ice 3 for more usual winter conditions.

I used to think Blizzaks were the end all be all of winter tires, until I got my hands on a set of Hakkapeliitta snows and boy howdy those make Blizzaks like running C5 compound in the winter.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

tony quidtana posted:

I had Dunlop winter sport 3D on my Impreza and absolutely sent it down highway 88 to Tahoe. But yeah in retrospect a terrible idea because if anything went wrong I 100% would have died.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

I had Dunlop winter sport 3D on my Impreza and absolutely sent it down highway 88 to Tahoe. But yeah in retrospect a terrible idea because if anything went wrong I 100% would have died.

I visited that area in the winter but when there wasn’t a lot of snow and couldn’t imagine what both up in Tahoe and even the valley are like with a shitload of snow. That’s gotta be just a loving death trap. My friend was driving Kingsbury grade down from Tahoe and that was spooky enough in good conditions.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

I used to think Blizzaks were the end all be all of winter tires, until I got my hands on a set of Hakkapeliitta snows and boy howdy those make Blizzaks like running C5 compound in the winter.

literally anything with studs is gonna blow the tits off even the best non stud winter tire. I got some poo poo Pirelli Costo special right now where they loving glued in the studs presumably so they won't throw from their poo poo tire and it's still leagues better than the blizzaks that came with the car.

Toe Rag posted:

Imagine doing that in a 1984 hatchback that at one point was going to be scrapped, had a bent chassis, no subframe, no airbags, and I hit my head on the roof going over every speed bump. that was me daily driving through canadian prairie winters for 5 years lol. Also the rear axle would loving wedge in and give you snap oversteer if you were aggressive enough on gravel roads through the corners but that wasn't really a daily drive issue thankfully.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Hi I once sat in a car, too!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

MaoistBanker posted:

Okay, be honest - how many of you not from North America thought it would be 100+F at night in November in Las Vegas?

https://jalopnik.com/formula-1-didnt-realize-las-vegas-would-be-cold-in-nove-1851011607

Edit:

LMFAO:

""Ironically, I chatted to a handful of folks affiliated with Formula 1 during the United States Grand Prix weekend who were concerned that the Las Vegas race would be plagued with the extreme heat that left so many drivers worn out and ill in Qatar. I was almost too stunned to clarify that that is not how desert temperatures work."

but Ross, I was specifically told low temperatures don't matter???

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

Hi I once sat in a car, too!

what tires were on the car??

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'm so excited to see how the tires and brakes perform in 40 degree weather on Turns 5 and 11.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPsWNGlE8SE

I'm so sad for my country. Ocon is gushing about what would be normal weekday fare. :smith:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:hmmyes:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

what tires were on the car??

Round ones!

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

Full Collapse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPsWNGlE8SE

I'm so sad for my country. Ocon is gushing about what would be normal weekday fare. :smith:

Gasly's head is so much shorter than Ricciardos that I thought the aspect ratio messed up at 0:17 lol

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ScuderiaFerrari/status/1722689923726078135

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it's gonna look pretty sick buried in the barriers with the other leaking its brake fluid in on the grid slot

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The white will be a nice contrast to the soot coming off a burning engine

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Looks like a Marussia

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

you'll be able to get a good look at it parked in the garage

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

lights out and away we snow

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
this whiskey was much better than the team, and probably more aerodynamic than the cars as well

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 11, 2023

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Finally got around to watching last week's race, what a finish

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

brugroffil posted:

Finally got around to watching last week's race, what a finish

https://youtu.be/lXhKs28HMXY?si=PLXEadl31kEqJdy9

:alonso:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

this whiskey was much better than the team, and probably more aerodynamic than the cars as well

I need to know, how does one wind tunnel test whiskey :thunk:

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Pure winter tires rock, i change mine every two years. Fresh rubber just has that extra bite, combined with 4WD it really doesnt matter how bad the street conditions are.

OT F1: Are those freshly paved segments save? Doesnt asphalt need a while to lose all those oily substances and get that grainy, grey, matte finished look?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

GramCracker posted:

I need to know, how does one wind tunnel test whiskey :thunk:

From my understanding they put the barrels in the wind tunnel lol

It’s gimmicky as gently caress, right down to the 99.77 proof, and I literally only gave it a try because I have an Alfa.

I was pleasantly surprised that it is quite good, even bought another bottle.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i would buy a japanese whisky collab with honda. that could be really good actually.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i drive on big all seasons with my wife

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

ArmedZombie posted:

i would buy a japanese whisky collab with honda. that could be really good actually.

Single cylinder malt!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ArmedZombie posted:

Single cylinder malt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I've noticed now that the morning temperatures are regularly below 5c the summer tyres on my quattro are becoming a bit exciting.