Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gully Foyle posted:

I just started and I just wanted to know if anything is missable in the game by going slowly or not doing all the commissions - don't want the game to feel like completing chores.

You're good, play however you like. I've never tried it because I'm the opposite way, but some of the main story quests seem to imply if you don't wanna bother an NPC builder will take care of it. Those have generous deadlines and the game seems to want to react like you did it at a reasonable pace rather than freakishly fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
wanted to take some pics of my EA workshop before I start a fresh file for good. I'll miss it since I want a functional interior this time and wont be able to stack bullshit again.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ytlaya posted:

Okay, I'm starting to see the appeal of this kind of game. Hours just disappeared in the blink of an eye last night.

I think that whatever update there was from a couple days ago improved the game's performance. Previously I was getting around 80-90fps, but now I seem to usually get 116 (which is basically 120 but with the NVidia latency boost thingy) and it rarely falls below 100.

I have no idea what to do in terms of giving people gifts, though. There are so many different items, and I know that I've probably only seen a small minority of them. Are there any items that make good "generic" gifts?

One other question - is there a good way to see the effects of the "meal of the day" in the restaurant? At this point I only care about stamina, so I don't want to get the meal if it's just giving me HP.

I think all the dine-in Blue Moon meals give you stamina back - you can see how much in the bottom right where it lists the total price.

For the to-go meals, controller players can press in on the left joystick to see more detailed information about stuff before buying it. I don't know what the button is for keyboard players, but there should be a little tooltip at the bottom of the screen.

Dirk the Average posted:

Edit 2: I really like Venti as a pairing for the builder. Mi-An has her own company. Venti comes from a poor background where she didn't have the opportunity to study to become a builder. She works as a salvager, enjoys helping people, and has a line about how salvagers and builders tend to fall for one another because their work is closely related. In my opinion it's a fantastic thing where her interests dovetail with the builder's nicely, as she happily supports your company's operations, gets to learn more about building, and gets to contribute directly to helping people out in the way that she wants to.

:same:

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 10, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Minor thing I noticed: when doing inspections the defects on the item on the right are visible before you go into inspection mode, so you can peek at them without dealing with the time limit (though you obviously can't rotate them).

While some defects are very obvious, others are surprisingly subtle like divots that can only really be seen if you orient the item to a specific angle. If you're stumped make sure you've looked at all six sides of the item!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So I just read the description of the avocado. It's described as "juicy." If your avocado is juicy, I think several things are wrong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Minor thing I noticed: when doing inspections the defects on the item on the right are visible before you go into inspection mode, so you can peek at them without dealing with the time limit (though you obviously can't rotate them).

While some defects are very obvious, others are surprisingly subtle like divots that can only really be seen if you orient the item to a specific angle. If you're stumped make sure you've looked at all six sides of the item!

or you can just make a bunch of magnifiers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gully Foyle posted:

I just started and I just wanted to know if anything is missable in the game by going slowly or not doing all the commissions - don't want the game to feel like completing chores.

Take your time, man. The game will accommodate you.

poo poo, if you slack off on a few of the main quests such that the game wants to schedule a Big Cutscene Or Event on the same day as the Day of Memories - a festival built around the idea of remembering the dead - the game will move the holiday so you don't have to miss anything. Which has happened often enough that Pathea had to patch an issue related to it today, so it's not one of those 'this only happens if you gently caress up in these specific ways' things.

Play the game at whatever pace you like, and see what happens! The 'My Time' games seem to have a real definite emphasis on "let people play the way they want to play." Like, if you enjoy spot-the-difference games, congrats, Inspections are gonna be a lucrative thing for you! If you don't? Magnifiers are stupidly cheap to make, so guess what, it's still going to be lucrative for you. Wanna maximize your commissions done? Cool, you'll be swimming in Gols so you can buy a bunch of raw materials instead of digging for them yourself. Don't wanna do that? Cool, take a couple days off to gather mats and then you can knock out a bunch of commissions with all the poo poo you gathered. Hate diving in Hazardous Ruins because you don't enjoy the combat? No worries, pay the Civil Corps to go on expeditions for you. And so on, and so forth. Most (not all!) goals have more than one way to accomplish them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Khanstant posted:

wanted to take some pics of my EA workshop before I start a fresh file for good. I'll miss it since I want a functional interior this time and wont be able to stack bullshit again.

Holy poo poo, this is what your "home base" can end up looking like? That's wild. Unfortunately I generally suck rear end at stuff like creating houses in video games.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what exactly does luck do?

Datamining has determined it does... nothing.

Edit: Also some screenshots from the discord, this person invested 15 hours building this.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 10, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha it actually started that way because I tried to make a second story but it went too far and I didn't know how to undo it at the time, and I tried fixing it but added another goof and then just decided to go full goblin mode and stick roofs and every lightup thing I could on it. The builder for it is easier to use now.

The downside to that house is I can't build stairs since nothing aligns right and I didn't wanna expand into my poorly planned workshop or move my good soil.

Edit: holy poo poo, that place.looks amazing. Can't even see the workshop parts just looks like a nice plaza. Oh man now I'm thinking with portals. My whole factory could all be atop a goblin fortress.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 10, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I briefly messed around with furniture, but the controls were a bit confusing (maybe because I'm using a controller).

Hopefully I can find someone to copy at some point, because whatever part of the brain deals with that sort of thing is just broken for me. I can't hold the big picture in my head at all.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Make sure you buy the house editing kit from Heidi, that will let you go into a zoomed out camera editing mode.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I wish I could do lovely things like that, but I find the building interface janky as gently caress. It's super-difficult to accurately select something, sometimes it will select, other times it won't. Camera movement is slow and zoom levels also feel pretty bad. By far the worst part of the game for me.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So funny thing I just found out. Whether or not you can walk normally in sandstorms depends entirely on whether your character model has the appropriate gear on. So you can wear whatever you want, but your currently displayed outfit must have a sand protecting item. It's very silly. So even if you're wearing a hazmat suit that normally protects from the elements, if your displayed clothing doesn't have the right hat on, you will still shield your eyes from the sand.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

big Ronald Weasley vibes

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

Make sure you buy the house editing kit from Heidi, that will let you go into a zoomed out camera editing mode.

I found an editing mode thing in her house, but I couldn't find any way to switch to my house's interior.

Radiation Cow posted:

I wish I could do lovely things like that, but I find the building interface janky as gently caress. It's super-difficult to accurately select something, sometimes it will select, other times it won't. Camera movement is slow and zoom levels also feel pretty bad. By far the worst part of the game for me.

Yeah, I had hard time getting things where I wanted them.

Part of it is that sensitivity with a controller seems way too high when placing furniture. It's very difficult to move just a single "grid space."

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ytlaya posted:

I found an editing mode thing in her house, but I couldn't find any way to switch to my house's interior.

Yeah, I had hard time getting things where I wanted them.

Part of it is that sensitivity with a controller seems way too high when placing furniture. It's very difficult to move just a single "grid space."

buy the editing kit, use it with right click and it unlocks an editing mode for your home. If you use it outside you get the same view as if you'd go to Heidis shop to edit your house. But it also works inside your room!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The music in this game vaguely reminds me of FF14 ARR Thanalan music.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Is that projector film story at the museum intended to be in that style? When I saw it in EA I assumed it was the storyboard for a more fleshed out cutscene running in the background. But it's still the same.

Worth sitting through if you get a chance, but oof, talk about depressing. Where's the Lorax when you need him? (guess we'll always have the goony water guy looking out for the oasis for now)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

It finally just clicked for me how Justice's right hand man got his name. I expect there'll be some dialogue spelling it out in more detail later.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You talking bout Unsuur or Unseen? Either way, let's just say maybe.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unsuur is surprisingly charming.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

unsuur is surprisingly charming.

Yeah, the guy's been growing on me for a while. He also has some good puns that can be a bit subtle.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I think the bus that can show up in the scrapyard (maybe gated by story progress?) might be a lowkey Mystery Men reference. Mostly because of how hard it is to scrap.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm sad that Dan-bi is already married. Definitely the best looking character in Sandrock.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't, that would mean Rian was a free agent and I appreciate Dan-bi most for quarantining him for the most part.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I heard apparently in one of the romance missions Owen has you do this play with him and proposes at some point. If you refuse he's crushed and all the towns people in the audience all have unique lines about the drama.

Cooper: "Boy Howdy you could just hear the EXACT moment Owen's heart got torn in half! "

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I like Catori's art. Shame about her personality though.

A lot of the NPCs look pretty good, really.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I liked Catori the most of the romance partners. She is the most like my builder. If Builder had a kid and that kid didn't produce any resources then like Catori I'd just park it with the other parent somewheres.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Gully Foyle posted:

belatedly, there is no known calendar missable stuff, the game runs more so on (generously) timed sidequests when you start them, which are bread crumbs appropriately.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there any reason to do stuff like the rock/paper/scissors minigame or sparring? Haven't done the latter just because I'd definitely lose since I'm still so early, though.

Also, are commissions the main source of money, or do I want to do stuff like use all this copper I have to make things and then sell those things? And if so, are there any good "money-maker" items that have a good ratio of cost/difficulty to sales price?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Commissions should give you plenty of money and you get all sorts of other goodies for them. Just beeline the extra commission skill and once you get up to 3 commissions a day you get basically all the money you need. You'll need absolute mountains of copper and bronze and such so I definitely wouldn't be selling them off. Stuff like the card game and sparring are just for relationship points. If you find them tedious, you don't need to bother.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I don't, that would mean Rian was a free agent and I appreciate Dan-bi most for quarantining him for the most part.

Love to bust into rians bedroom and wake him up every time he wants 3 hardwood boards

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
critter cards and sparring provide extra free sources of friendship points. this can be useful for the dudes that rarely post commissions and don't participate in events. very few of the townsfolk ever provide much of a challenge while sparring. also, there's no penalty for losing. you just get fewer points.

don't sell your materials. you get more than enough money from doing daily commissions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zeron posted:

Commissions should give you plenty of money and you get all sorts of other goodies for them. Just beeline the extra commission skill and once you get up to 3 commissions a day you get basically all the money you need. You'll need absolute mountains of copper and bronze and such so I definitely wouldn't be selling them off. Stuff like the card game and sparring are just for relationship points. If you find them tedious, you don't need to bother.

Ah, thanks for telling me about that skill. Didn't realize I could expand my commissions that way. That'll definitely help - currently I only make like 200-400 per day, which isn't exactly much.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Copper pots are a ridiculously good holiday gift. 7 villagers either love or like it.

On the other hand, some villagers have such terrible taste as to not like Amira's weird little clay dolls.

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, thanks for telling me about that skill. Didn't realize I could expand my commissions that way. That'll definitely help - currently I only make like 200-400 per day, which isn't exactly much.

The amount commissions pay increases as you increase in rank.

You increase in rank by doing commissions. So it's a pretty painless process.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sloober posted:

Love to bust into rians bedroom and wake him up every time he wants 3 hardwood boards

:yeah:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So apparently you can upgrade your stable through the build menu. Not sure why you would? Maybe you could have 6 mounts or something?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Dirk the Average posted:

So apparently you can upgrade your stable through the build menu. Not sure why you would? Maybe you could have 6 mounts or something?

Mounts actually start turning into free money once you can buy fang special X
Buy a grey quality mount for 4k feed it Fang special X 3 times (6 days wait total) and re-sell it for 15k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Can you get a sweet goat like Logan has? I'm happy with my horse, but I'd make space in my stable for a goat.