Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The Marvels was crazy fun. The whole gimmick with their powers teleporting each other made for some cool fight scenes, the relationships between the three leads were interesting and developed. And Brie Larson is now a disney princess.

What was the second post credit scene? I had to leave the theater after the midcredit for a phone call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Soonmot posted:

What was the second post credit scene? I had to leave the theater after the midcredit for a phone call.

The internet told me there wasn't one after the credits so I bailed before confirming if that was true or not.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Huh, I read that there were two. I wonder if they were counting the Kamala recruiting Kate as a post credit, even though it happened before the credits?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

After the credits there's a sound effect of Goose spitting up.

That's it.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Soonmot posted:

The Marvels was crazy fun. The whole gimmick with their powers teleporting each other made for some cool fight scenes, the relationships between the three leads were interesting and developed. And Brie Larson is now a disney princess.

I commented to my wife that the fight direction was extremely easy to follow, especially with the potential that the swapping could have made.

I did see both Wandavision and Ms. Marvel so I was "prepped" for the characters, but I think that they did the intros well enough that those shows weren't required.

It was a lot of fun and it sucks that excitement is low around it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Soonmot posted:

Huh, I read that there were two. I wonder if they were counting the Kamala recruiting Kate as a post credit, even though it happened before the credits?

Rumor is that that scene was originally intended as a post-credits scene, fwiw.

Anyway, The Marvels was not great and suffers from some familiar MCU weaknesses (dodgy CG and cinematography, underwritten villain, emotional beats that don't land), but it was fun enough. Iman Vellani and the Ms. Marvel supporting cast were MVPs. Really enjoyed the ending (pre-credits) cameo, though I have little confidence it'll be followed up on before 2027 or whenever. Mid-credits scene was just fanservicey setup for the next two Avengers films and didn't care much for it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
fwiw, the significant delay on Cap 4 (which had completed principal photography prior to the strikes, unlike Deadpool 3; Thunderbolts and Blade hadn't even started production, so those delays are less surprising) is allegedly due to poor test screenings, with major reshoots scheduled for next year

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1722785027161825691

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Barry Convex posted:

fwiw, the significant delay on Cap 4 (which had completed principal photography prior to the strikes, unlike Deadpool 3; Thunderbolts and Blade hadn't even started production, so those delays are less surprising) is allegedly due to poor test screenings, with major reshoots scheduled for next year

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1722785027161825691

I'm sure the presence of an IDF superhero is just coincidental.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm still expecting the Serpent Society to be a mislead again, because how could you possibly make people take those dorks seriously?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's funny that by the time Sam's first movie as cap comes out, without the super soldier serum his body's gonna be near retirement

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm sure the presence of an IDF superhero is just coincidental.

they already said sabra wasn't going to be with the idf months ago

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Aphrodite posted:

I'm still expecting the Serpent Society to be a mislead again, because how could you possibly make people take those dorks seriously?

Kirkman had the Lizard League turn everyone into lizard people but the MCU isn't going to go full Amazing Spider-Man when that budget could be spent on formless clouds and particle effects.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inkspot posted:

Kirkman had the Lizard League turn everyone into lizard people but the MCU isn't going to go full Amazing Spider-Man when that budget could be spent on formless clouds and particle effects.

That was also already the first Garfield Spider-Man.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Ok, The Marvels was a ton of fun. It’s a surprisingly small film, which is a good thing, and it really is Iman Vellani’s Freaky Friday Space Adventure.

It’s just about three gal pals hanging out and being awesome. In space.

There’s one SPOILER section which is one of the single funniest things I’ve seen in an MCU thing. So, so good. Proper laughing out loud in the cinema belly laughs.

The movie is scruffy as hell in places, but when the character work is this heartfelt I just don’t care.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Parkingtigers posted:

There’s one SPOILER section which is one of the single funniest things I’ve seen in an MCU thing. So, so good. Proper laughing out loud in the cinema belly laughs.

If only Heimdall was alive to see it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Parkingtigers posted:

Ok, The Marvels was a ton of fun. It’s a surprisingly small film, which is a good thing, and it really is Iman Vellani’s Freaky Friday Space Adventure.

It’s just about three gal pals hanging out and being awesome. In space.

The movie is scruffy as hell in places, but when the character work is this heartfelt I just don’t care.

If it's the Flerken rescue plan, I agree. Especially between playing Memories as they rampage through the station and the deadpan 'Stop Running. Let the Flerkens eat you.' Over the public address system. The musical planet is also pretty good.

Movie good, I recommend it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Soonmot posted:

I actually liked that one more than the actual one.

Anyway, I had a good time at the movies and counting trailers and stinger, I was in and out in less than two hours, and jesus that's refreshing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah that one scene was very Gunn like, which is a reason why I feel like this felt in line with the Guardians movies.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Inkspot posted:

Amazing Spider-Man

Aphrodite posted:

was the first Garfield Spider-Man.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
kinda glad the reception here is the movie is good cuz wanted to see all three of these kill it. Sounds exactly what i want

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm seeing that the domestic weekend box office tracking for The Marvels is in the $47-55 million range which is, uh, pretty catastrophic

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm seeing that the domestic weekend box office tracking for The Marvels is in the $47-55 million range which is, uh, pretty catastrophic

That’s one doomed space movie.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Saw the movie. Did anyone else get a sense that it got harshly edited somehow? Like it felt like there was a lot that was cut out, and so as a result some of the emotional beats didn't really land? Oh well, it was still a fun romp.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Fangz posted:

Saw the movie. Did anyone else get a sense that it got harshly edited somehow? Like it felt like there was a lot that was cut out, and so as a result some of the emotional beats didn't really land? Oh well, it was still a fun romp.

from what I understand, the only real big cuts happened at the water planet. Otherwise there wasn't much taken out.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Codependent Poster posted:

from what I understand, the only real big cuts happened at the water planet. Otherwise there wasn't much taken out.

That's interesting. For example the part that stood out to me is where Carol is having the argument with Monica on the spaceship, she climbs up a ladder to leave, and then it's the next scene and Monica is with her up in the new room she enters without having climbed up with her. It felt like something was cut out there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I thought it was fine. Well, the script wasn't very good, but there were some really fun sequences and Kamala was a delight. A version of this movie without her in it would have been a disaster.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Joke review: Weird that they spent all that money to remake Spaceballs, but I respect it!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just got back from a 5:40pm showing in a major city, and besides me and my wife there was one other couple there and nobody else. Insane for opening weekend of almost any movie let alone a Marvel movie. We loved it and had a ton of fun, makes me sad that it'll probably get a bad rap.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Marvels was very good.

Glad to see Nick Fury not being a sad sack like in Secret Invasion. The singing set piece was so unexpected and ridiculous, I loved it; a civilization that communicates only in singing?? Heck yeah.

Was there ever an explanation for everyone being able to speak the same language in the universe or is it just ignored?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was there ever an explanation for everyone being able to speak the same language in the universe or is it just ignored?

Iirc, one of the bits of errata in the Guardians franchise that doesn't get delved into much is the presence of mostly universal translators in galactic society

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Arist posted:

Joke review: Weird that they spent all that money to remake Spaceballs, but I respect it!

I had to think for a second and then it clicked. I laughed

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

howe_sam posted:

Iirc, one of the bits of errata in the Guardians franchise that doesn't get delved into much is the presence of mostly universal translators in galactic society

Yea, when Peter is being 'scanned' it shows up

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There’s like 5 little bits on the displays in that scene that have been retconned by now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Quill doesn't have two arms and legs?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Arist posted:

Sadly, no Gorilla Man appearance in the end.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay, The Marvels was so enjoyable that I mostly don't care that it had the most phoned in finale in all of cinema history, including the post-credit stuff (although Kate Bishop and puppy was also pretty great) :allears:

It really sucks that it's getting embroiled in the recent Disney production nonsense and, honestly, just coming out at a time where I largely wouldn't mind if all Hollywood studio heads just got sucked into a rip in space time, because it's such a fun time despite also portraying the greatest amount of onscreen war crimes per capita in a MCU film, which is certainly a feat! :buddy:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'll write up a short effort post later but I'm almost done listening to the mcu book that just came out and it's amazing how cursed phase 4 has been

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The mcu book meaning a book based on a movie that was based on a bunch of books?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Saw it

LOVED IT

very funny, very good

Will watch again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Marvels is a lot of fun and it'll probably be vindicated down the line as one of the better MCU films. I will admit the end does feel a little messy what with all of the supporting bad guy Kree just kind of vanishing. The cast is great though and everyone feels like they're just enjoying the experience.