Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

stephenthinkpad posted:

Got a question for you guys. I got a cruise trip coming up. I assume they have a TV screen I can hook up with a hdmi cable.

If I want to split my tv time between 50% plex movies and 50% local party games, should I bring the NV shield or the Steam Deck or a PC stick (N5105)?

I think all 3 support Plex and connect to multiple controllers?

Just know that some cruises have tiny little TVs in the cabins, and sometimes they lock it up in the back or make it really hard to get to. Also, bring one of those orange three-way splitters or some way to extend your power needs because the cabins don't really have a lot of spare outlets.

Are you going to be getting the wifi on the cruise? Watching movies you store on a device, fine, but don't really count on watching something over the internet. Cruise wifi is notoriously slow and they will not allow you to stream unless you buy the ultra expensive package.

Also, don't stay in your cabin at all times, get out and enjoy everything else. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Just know that some cruises have tiny little TVs in the cabins, and sometimes they lock it up in the back or make it really hard to get to. Also, bring one of those orange three-way splitters or some way to extend your power needs because the cabins don't really have a lot of spare outlets.

Are you going to be getting the wifi on the cruise? Watching movies you store on a device, fine, but don't really count on watching something over the internet. Cruise wifi is notoriously slow and they will not allow you to stream unless you buy the ultra expensive package.

Also, don't stay in your cabin at all times, get out and enjoy everything else. :)

im dragging you to the jerichruise

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Since having my Steam Deck stolen I vowed not to buy a new deck until there was a 2.0 and this ain't it, but it does look like it addresses all the issues I had with it aside from the battery life still being juuuuust a tad too low.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

STONE COLD 64 posted:

im dragging you to the jerichruise

Honestly, I’ve thought about it. I bet it would be a hell of a lot of fun.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I got my $53 R36S today.

Feels really good in the hands but the back buttons are super loud and clicky. I’m gonna play around with it later today.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GAME
CONSOLE

:goku: WOW

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You forgot Major and Chip as features

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

MarcusSA posted:

You forgot Major and Chip as features

and the 640 x 480 Eye Protection High Resolution Screen

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I find it funny how just a few years ago I paid $1600 for a pc and it’s nowhere near the specs of that handheld. it was 1997 and it was a pentium 166mhz with mmx, 16 mb of ram, a 2gb > hdd, and a 12x cd rom and a 33.6k modem. . It did run Nesticle really well.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Any recommendations for a handheld as a gift for an older person? Basically looking for something with a large screen, comfortable controls, and that's easy to use, with everything else being secondary.

The PowKitty X55 seems like a nice, cheap option, but there's so much else out there I'm sure I'm missing something.

Also, with the OLED deck coming out, I'm wondering if I should just get a bottom-tier LCD model and stick EmuDeck or some other frontend on it. It is more expensive and I'm a bit worried about how fiddly it will be; once I get it set up for them it kinda has to be plug and play. This person is trying to fix up their PS2 to play some games so the extra emulation power would be cool.

eelmonger fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 11, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I got an RG405M from a goon a few days ago, and man, this thing is great. Never worked with a dedicated emu platform before. I just crack my various handhelds. (My vita is still my favorite.) But having something that can actually handle PS2 and Gamecube games and display everything at proper 4:3 is really nice to have.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

AlternateNu posted:

I got an RG405M from a goon a few days ago, and man, this thing is great. Never worked with a dedicated emu platform before. I just crack my various handhelds. (My vita is still my favorite.) But having something that can actually handle PS2 and Gamecube games and display everything at proper 4:3 is really nice to have.

So when are you buying your next three?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m gonna double up my ROM library on my Steam Deck, what’s the go-to setup for that? Retro Game Russ?

1upmuffin
Jan 9, 2023
I got a Miyoo Mini Plus recently, I'm loving it. It's pretty comfortable, screen is great, controls are great, plays games very well, very portable and easy to take with me on the go. I've been playing Tomato Adventure, cute RPG on GBA.

EDIT: for some context, I've wanted a retro emulator handheld since GP2X but never got one until now, glad I finally did, rediscovering my love of retro gaming.

1upmuffin fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 10, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Explosionface posted:

So when are you buying your next three?

:confused:

Am I...missing something? Is this thing going to brick on me in a week? :ohdear:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AlternateNu posted:

Am I...missing something? Is this thing going to brick on me in a week? :ohdear:

We're all hopelessly addicted to buying these things in slightly different configurations from different companies and doing nothing but endlessly tinkering with them. I still only have the first one I bought but the desire to upgrade has been steadily increasing..

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

1upmuffin posted:

I got a Miyoo Mini Plus recently, I'm loving it. It's pretty comfortable, screen is great, controls are great, plays games very well, very portable and easy to take with me on the go. I've been playing Tomato Adventure, cute RPG on GBA.

EDIT: for some context, I've wanted a retro emulator handheld since GP2X but never got one until now, glad I finally did, rediscovering my love of retro gaming.

Same, I bought it thinking it'd be a cute little thing to bust out once in a while but I'm loving it more than I thought possible

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

AlternateNu posted:

They have a tendency to multiply.
I have a 351p, RG552, RGB20s, X7Plus, SF2000, miyoo mini plus, and a whole stack of other ones I cannot remember the names of.
And I use my Logitech G Cloud more than all the others combined.

edit: I haven't even opened the plastic on my new Analogue Pocket (transparent red). I forgot I got that. I really need stands to put them on display.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

otter posted:

I have a 351p, RG552, RGB20s, X7Plus, SF2000, miyoo mini plus, and a whole stack of other ones I cannot remember the names of.

edit: I haven't even opened the plastic on my new Analogue Pocket (transparent red). I forgot I got that. I really need stands to put them on display.
Yep it gets like that pretty easily

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I have 3 anbernic things, not counting the Deck and the Shield. It's okay though, I don't have an issue. I am just too lazy to sell the old ones, so it doesn't count.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i'm waiting till i can afford one for the right goldilocks combination of price, power, and screen size.

i don't actually know what aspect ratio i'd want. Probably 4:3 but that kills PSP, and isn't great for the DSs. A Retroid Flip with a second 4:3 screen might be the theoretical ideal.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
An actual DS is still the best solution for DS games and it might always be. The 405M is actually really good for PSP the effective screen size is about the size of the Go’s

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

otter posted:

i talked myself out of getting a 35XX just for when I go on walks, because I have the flip already

when they're so relatively cheap you can talk yourself into all sorts of handheld purchases for niche uses

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rinkles posted:

i'm waiting till i can afford one for the right goldilocks combination of price, power, and screen size.

i don't actually know what aspect ratio i'd want. Probably 4:3 but that kills PSP, and isn't great for the DSs. A Retroid Flip with a second 4:3 screen might be the theoretical ideal.

I've already come to terms with the fact that the only good DS console will be a DS. I can't see a 3rd party developer making a clamshell stylus-driven dual screen unit just to hit that niche of an emu market. Design would be hell, and they'd be working with last gen "touch" technology.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I told myself I wouldn’t pick up a second pricier handheld until I can buy a dual analog handheld that can emulate PS2 reliably with analog triggers for under $150.

Thankfully I have a hacked 3DS and Vita for those libraries, but nothing that can play Dreamcast, Gamecube, or PS2 games reliably.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 11, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Assepoester posted:

Marcus be like., “Hold my Anbeernic”

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

otter posted:

Marcus be like., “Hold my Anbeernic”

That’s not fair, Marcus also bought the Ally and the Legion as well as the Deck.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Assepoester posted:

The most impressive thing is the owner took the picture with a flash, probably external, on a professional white background. You know it's true passion.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

AlternateNu posted:

I've already come to terms with the fact that the only good DS console will be a DS. I can't see a 3rd party developer making a clamshell stylus-driven dual screen unit just to hit that niche of an emu market. Design would be hell, and they'd be working with last gen "touch" technology.

Used dual-screen phone from before the folding revolution is a V good second option

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly they don't even need to use two screens, just a single touch screen big enough to display both DS screens at the same time at at least full native resolution would be more than sufficient

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly they don't even need to use two screens, just a single touch screen big enough to display both DS screens at the same time at at least full native resolution would be more than sufficient

This is why the "best" screens to use for DS games are 16:9/widescreen but in portrait mode. And how many manufacturers make them with stylus support?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

That’s not fair, Marcus also bought the Ally and the Legion as well as the Deck.

I haven’t opened the Legion yet!

It actually might go back tbh.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

anbernic's got a sale happening starting tomorrow

RG405M - $145
RG405V - $120
RG505 - $120
RG353M - $118
RG353P - $103
RG503 - $94
RG353V - $91
RG353PS - $72
RG Nano - $46
RG35XX - $45

and so is retroid

Retroid Pocket 2S - $99 (4+128GB)
Retroid Pocket 3+ - $135
Retroid Pocket Flip - $145

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the arc would have been an instant buy from me if it could run games from the platform that its shaped after

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

RG405M - $145
RG405V - $120
RG505 - $120
RG353M - $118
RG353P - $103
RG503 - $94
RG353V - $91
RG353PS - $72
RG Nano - $46
RG35XX - $45

and so is retroid

Retroid Pocket 3+ - $135

Really wish I had literally any money in November but I just had some expenses come at me out of nowhere

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it's the 11.11 sale so if you want to buy something from China, today is the day.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't think I can justify it right now, but if I was buying, is it best to go with the manufacturers' websites or Ali, or some other reseller?

The 7th Guest posted:

RG405M - $145
RG405V - $120
RG505 - $120
RG353M - $118
RG353P - $103
RG503 - $94
RG353V - $91
RG353PS - $72
RG Nano - $46
RG35XX - $45

and so is retroid

Retroid Pocket 3+ - $135

and these are without shipping, right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, Ali will usually have free shipping and I think better tracking so I'd rather go to Ali if the prices aren't dramatically different.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Update on the PC Stick vs Deck debate. I installed Steam on my n5105 stick and the hooked up the deck to the TV yesterday. I only have a cheap $8 powered USBC to HDMI adopter for my chromebook. it worked just fine on the deck and PS4 paired it to smoothly. Even the interface button change to the PS style button. I never considered using Deck as a home console but the experience was much more polish than I expected. Got the Katamari remake on Steam and played with the PS4 controller. It worked great.

The deck probably run 50% better than the stick on a couple casual games I tried, but the Deck games has custom settings and they removed the high end settings in the interface, feels like somebody in valve tested the game already. So I am going to use it as my future roadtrip box. Also got Plex client worked smoothly (haven't tried server Plex yet). I can't even get the Plex client on Xbox SS to work.

Anyway, went to aliexpress ordered a couple 8Bitdo 2.4g Ultimate C controller for the Deck/PC. Also a $20 Deck Dock. I am sure the $79 official dock is better but probably not much better. They have 2 different coupon code you can stack if you order over $100 of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

otter posted:

I find it funny how just a few years ago I paid $1600 for a pc and it’s nowhere near the specs of that handheld. it was 1997 and it was a pentium 166mhz with mmx, 16 mb of ram, a 2gb > hdd, and a 12x cd rom and a 33.6k modem. . It did run Nesticle really well.

I don't know if I'd call that "a few years ago", that computer is older than many posters in this very forum

Not anyone in this thread, obviously, but in the forums at large