Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FrancisFukyomama posted:

It’s kinda annoying that the character appearance changer changes everything but the gender/personality and height, which are the ones that actually matter

The former apparently has some hard coding limitations to it due to how the game remembers certain conversations and how the NPC's react to you as you level up, at least that's how I remember it being explained

Arc Hammer posted:

That's my main wonder because whenever I roll a Veteran it will be very hard to pick anything besides a Cadian background and I'd want to hear the other options.

Also you have five operative slots but only four classes. If Ogryns are in they should add Ratlings too so you can play a tiny sniper.

Worth mentioning that there's a mod that let's you have up to I think eight operative slots so I imagine if we see more classes they'll probably increase the default amount of slots(since I imagine the current five is so that the average player can have one of each class and then an extra just in case)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
FFS let me play with pc players only. These Xbox players are impossible.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

megane posted:

The chain-axe is tons of fun to use. Wish it were a bit better at killing stuff.

Totally understand people who can’t use it due to the camera jerking around, though.

It scales well with attack speed increasing traits and benefits a lot from rev > slide > charge heavy while sliding, I don't know that heavys are that good without the rev but they're great with it. It's really nice with Rev It Up for this reason.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Does toughness damage reduction effect the health damage bleedthrough on melee hits?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

.Z. posted:

As entertaining as that would be, Ad-mech of some kind like Skitarrii or a combat servitor seems more likely. Ratling sniper has way too much role overlap with the Veteran.

I would almost guarantee that Skittari or combat servitors are not going to be in darktide. If Rannick and Grendle had the mojo to be able to requisition Skittari, they wouldn't need a bunch of varlots and rejects. Or at the very least, they wouldn't be going on the same missions.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if they introduce a new class, if it's not the Ratlings as people have mentioned, it'll be like underhive scum or a fallen Arbites. Something that can also take a tank role with a suppression / shock shield and taunting. Give them a shock shield, double barrel shotgun, dual stub pistols and like a plasma pistol as their unique weapons.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 11, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I mean the Rejects are a lot more expendable than Skitarii are, them being added in would be an escalation in much the way the 4th careers in VT2 were treated

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If Grendyl can have a bunch of full-rear end “blow up 30 guys with lightning” psykers on the payroll, they can probably get their hands on a disgraced enginseer or two.

I do agree some kind of scum or ganger is more likely, though.

megane fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 11, 2023

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I want a Harlequin Death Jester

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

We're probably going to get multiple additional classes over the course of the game's life

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mercenary Kruber. With no lore explanation.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DeathSandwich posted:

I would almost guarantee that Skittari or combat servitors are not going to be in darktide. If Rannick and Grendle had the mojo to be able to requisition Skittari, they wouldn't need a bunch of varlots and rejects. Or at the very least, they wouldn't be going on the same missions.

Or, and hear me out on this, the Inquisition heard that the AdMech were going to recycle/reformat a bunch of "defective" Skittari and said "yo, we'll take them as-is."

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Internet Explorer posted:

Kruber with 3 slightly different accents for the personality histories, and pitch-shifted for female Krubettes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

:emptyquote:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know for a game that proudly promoted "Written by Dan Abnett" it sure feels like the only Abnett in here is rushed and unsatisfying conclusions. The world building is excellent but as far as actual plot it's downright nonexistent. You level up, get a cutscene where a character says "gently caress you, go do more missions and maybe I'll like you" and then it dumps you back into the hub.

It's just an immense pile of :effort: which is a shame. If they're going to give all the supporting characters aboads the Mourningstar the plot content there should be more missions like the one where Harrowette and Melk start arguing with each other while the reject squad rolls their eyes. At least that mission had some more going on story-wise.

I'm up to level 19 now. Got my first Bolter, it is very fun to use. The Crucis Thunder Hammer is fun the other Thunder Hammer is not. I imagine both will be better with deeper perks and higher rarity.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Arc Hammer posted:

You know for a game that proudly promoted "Written by Dan Abnett" it sure feels like the only Abnett in here is rushed and unsatisfying conclusions. The world building is excellent but as far as actual plot it's downright nonexistent. You level up, get a cutscene where a character says "gently caress you, go do more missions and maybe I'll like you" and then it dumps you back into the hub.

It's just an immense pile of :effort: which is a shame. If they're going to give all the supporting characters aboads the Mourningstar the plot content there should be more missions like the one where Harrowette and Melk start arguing with each other while the reject squad rolls their eyes. At least that mission had some more going on story-wise.

I'm up to level 19 now. Got my first Bolter, it is very fun to use. The Crucis Thunder Hammer is fun the other Thunder Hammer is not. I imagine both will be better with deeper perks and higher rarity.

Abnett did a lot of the dialogues and conversations between the player characters (which honestly are excellent for what they are) as well as the worldbuilding and backstory for the Moebian 6th.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
lazy dead writer

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Tonight I heard my Zealot ragging on another Zealot about their secret indiscretions. It rules that not only do tge classes have banter with each other, but with the voice variants within their own class.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Reiley posted:

Tonight I heard my Zealot ragging on another Zealot about their secret indiscretions. It rules that not only do tge classes have banter with each other, but with the voice variants within their own class.

The male and female versions of the Loner Psyker have at least 3 separate conversations with each other

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Gah, I'm crashing every time I try and view cosmetics on my character. Is there any way to know what mod might be causing this? Also is there any way to automatically update mods or do I need to do them all manually?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
My favorite poxbursters are the surprise ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJL1TRGmJHE

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, at this point seeing somebody running a stealth build on zealot or even veteran feels like an immediate red flag. These people seem to think that not only should they hide from enemies, but also from their own teammates as well. Constantly loving around in the middle of nowhere or somehow pulling an instant disappearing act the moment a horde hits.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

I think he only did the worldbuilding/backstory. The credits list him as "Principal Writer: World Building & Narrative". They otherwise have two other well-known Black Library authors listed (ADB and Matt Ward) as well as a half-dozen others I haven't heard of credited as writers.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Man, at this point seeing somebody running a stealth build on zealot or even veteran feels like an immediate red flag. These people seem to think that not only should they hide from enemies, but also from their own teammates as well. Constantly loving around in the middle of nowhere or somehow pulling an instant disappearing act the moment a horde hits.

I played with a good stealth zealot earlier who kept coherency and mostly used their trick to smite bosses and crushers, but yeah I'd be lying if I said most of them were just as reliable as he was.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Things I learned just now. Psykers with force swords have a ranged push.

Makes poxbursters so much easier

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ZeusCannon posted:

Things I learned just now. Psykers with force swords have a ranged push.

Makes poxbursters so much easier

All the pushes technically have a range. I don't think the force swords get any extra in particular off the top of my head. It's still a very fun push animation though.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Perestroika posted:

You're right to be wary - aggro'ing a parade of crushers then immediately-stealthing so they gang up on my friend instead is my favorite passtime in this game (too bad it no longer works with demonhosts)

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Evil Kit posted:

All the pushes technically have a range. I don't think the force swords get any extra in particular off the top of my head. It's still a very fun push animation though.

He's probably talking about the push follow-up attack, which is an invisible stagger bullet with a pretty decent range.

https://i.imgur.com/e52S9oW.mp4

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

He's probably talking about the push follow-up attack, which is an invisible stagger bullet with a pretty decent range.

I was! I didn't realize that second animation had a "projectile" i just thought it was a nice follow up animation

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Huh, I've never tried the secondary push from that range. Today I learned. I'm on board with MIND BULLET

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The deimos has a lot of options to deal with tough enemies, aside from just force pushing them down a fully charged heavy stab will send crushers flying to the ground despite not piercing carapace armor well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

skaianDestiny posted:

Abnett did a lot of the dialogues and conversations between the player characters (which honestly are excellent for what they are) as well as the worldbuilding and backstory for the Moebian 6th.

Well that doesn't surprise me. Everything around the actual plot is very good and reminds me a lot of the banter and incidental worldbuilding that makes Vermintide so memorable. I just wish that there was more forward momentum with the story itself like a finale level where Grendl's warband makes a vital breakthrough against the 6th or something like the Skittergate and Boss levels from VT2 that put a capstone on a series of missions. As it is right now aside from this "someone is spying for the enemy" plot Rannick discusses, every mission is just part of a tug of war stalemate between the Inquisition and Nurgle.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 11, 2023

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The deimos has a lot of options to deal with tough enemies, aside from just force pushing them down a fully charged heavy stab will send crushers flying to the ground despite not piercing carapace armor well.

Plus if you have Uncanny Strike, the special will stack it to max rending from the multiple ticks, and you can light>heavy them in the face to death.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Arc Hammer posted:

Well that doesn't surprise me. Everything around the actual plot is very good and reminds me a lot of the banter and incidental worldbuilding that makes Vermintide so memorable. I just wish that there was more forward momentum with the story itself like a finale level where Grendl's warband makes a vital breakthrough against the 6th or something like the Skittergate and Boss levels from VT2 that put a capstone on a series of missions. As it is right now aside from this "someone is spying for the enemy" plot Rannick discusses, every mission is just part of a tug of war stalemate between the Inquisition and Nurgle.

You say that like the current tug of war situation is surprising.

A single inquisitorial warband is essentially taking on the majority of a hive city that's been inflicted with a Nurgle pox, and a full on defected regiment of imperial guard. Not a lovely planetary guard force of a backwater planet either, a fully equipped guard regiment that dealt with actual threats around the system to protect Atoma. Hence why they defected in the first place.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Thirsty Dog posted:

Gah, I'm crashing every time I try and view cosmetics on my character. Is there any way to know what mod might be causing this? Also is there any way to automatically update mods or do I need to do them all manually?

You'll probably need to try disabling them one at a time. Some can be disabled from their in-game menu, others need to be removed from the load order file. Darkcache would be a good one to check first.

Vortex support for Darktide is in beta now, but I haven't tried it yet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Evil Kit posted:

You say that like the current tug of war situation is surprising.

A single inquisitorial warband is essentially taking on the majority of a hive city that's been inflicted with a Nurgle pox, and a full on defected regiment of imperial guard. Not a lovely planetary guard force of a backwater planet either, a fully equipped guard regiment that dealt with actual threats around the system to protect Atoma. Hence why they defected in the first place.

It's not that surprising, no. But a stalemate doesn't exactly make for a compelling story either. It's a fun playground to be sure.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Squatch Ambassador posted:

You'll probably need to try disabling them one at a time. Some can be disabled from their in-game menu, others need to be removed from the load order file. Darkcache would be a good one to check first.

You should actually disable half of them and see if that fixes your issue. If it does, restore half of the disabled mods and check again. If the issue comes back...

It's called a binary search and is much, much, much faster than one at a time.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The story as it stands now feels like a setup for a long-term thing, not like a complete open and shut narrative in itself. You are a prisoner sentenced to death for a petty crime, you're recruited into the warband as an unmemorable meat body, and slowly you build trust and standing within the team. The NPC dialogue changing as you grow is a cool detail to reflect this slow building of trust, like you're only now just being introduced to the tug of war problem on Atoma. Shame about Atonement Unit though, especially if Zola unwittingly being a GSC spy turns out to be true.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
New Fatshark update about the upcoming patches, including some glimpses into the new Vet keystone talents:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_53jXBsnL4k

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Gonna laugh so hard when it turns out we are actually Inquisitor Grendyl, after extensive plastic surgery and mind-wiping in furtherance of some deep-cover conspiracy-breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
This game is comedy gold sometimes

https://i.imgur.com/g4gPI1j.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/DEAX0He.mp4

Poor trapper, they were gonna get such a nice price