Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is Founder reproduction ever discussed? Do they? I assume if so they bud off or something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Ezri is great. A better character than Jadzia.

The only legit issue is how so much of the end of DS9 was just about her, but that's because they wanted to actually utilize her character

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

redshirt posted:

Is Founder reproduction ever discussed? Do they? I assume if so they bud off or something similar.

They created 100 babies and shot them into space but I don't think we know HOW in any meaningful way

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

maybeadracula posted:

They created 100 babies and shot them into space but I don't think we know HOW in any meaningful way

They turned into giant guns.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

maybeadracula posted:

the ocean becomes the drop

when they go back into the great link that's unbirthing

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

maybeadracula posted:

Ezri is great. A better character than Jadzia.

The only legit issue is how so much of the end of DS9 was just about her, but that's because they wanted to actually utilize her character

Yeah that's why I mentioned "in a bubble". I like the character, and I like her story, but it felt like it took up big piece of Season 7, the final season. Felt like we missed other stuff.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Grey Cat posted:

They turned into giant guns.

I picture them getting pooped out of big glowing butts like the plasma bugs on Starship Troopers

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

maybeadracula posted:

I picture them getting pooped out of big glowing butts like the plasma bugs on Starship Troopers

I'm from Cardassia Prime and I say "Kill em all!"

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1723024866054468031

museum grade odo bucket

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Bucket not included

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Filling the bucket with oatmeal

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Okay, time for some technical manual excerpts.

Here's the power cell size and energy capacity for the type 1 and type 2 phasers.

This says the phaser rifle has 50% additional power reserves than the type 2.

Also apparently there's a minimum safety distance where it's less than lethal so all those times someone was holding a phaser to the head of someone else and threatened to kill them was less than threatening.

Also for a bit of an explanation of the power levels, here you go.

Edit: for a sense of scale, the type 1 phaser's energy capacity is 7,200,000 megajoules. Which is the same as 2,000 megawatts being supplied for 1 hour.

The RBMK reactors at Chernobyl could generate about 1,000MW at a time, and Chernobyl had 4 of them. So two of those keyfob phasers could produce the same amount of power as the entire Chernobyl plant for 1 hour.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 11, 2023

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Sadly there was no hot dog fingers hand option.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Okay, time for some technical manual excerpts.

Here's the power cell size and energy capacity for the type 1 and type 2 phasers.

This says the phaser rifle has 50% additional power reserves than the type 2.

Also apparently there's a minimum safety distance where it's less than lethal so all those times someone was holding a phaser to the head of someone else and threatened to kill them was less than threatening.

Also for a bit of an explanation of the power levels, here you go.

God, I love when people put this kind of thought into fictional things. It's amazing.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

their Sisko figure* looks pretty decent too but i’m very hesitant to spend over $200 on one

*Guidance of the Prophets not included

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

So this is saying... each tiny keyfob phaser contains about a fifth of the total power of the Hiroshima bomb. :stare:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the stats for phasers in various tech manuals are ridiculously exaggerated. in practice, phasers are extremely modest beam guns due to the limits of sfx budgets.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

So this is saying... each tiny keyfob phaser contains about a fifth of the total power of the Hiroshima bomb. :stare:

yeah, you really wouldn't want a Starfleet officer to go postal.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the stats for phasers in various tech manuals are ridiculously exaggerated. in practice, phasers are extremely modest beam guns due to the limits of sfx budgets.

That's it if you don't bypsass the main regulation circuit, which allows you to double the subspace boost to the emitter beam

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

dr_rat posted:

yeah, you really wouldn't want a Starfleet officer to go postal.

They call it "being promoted to the admiralty"

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Going wolf 359

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Going wolf 359

Jennifer Sisko died there man.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Yea, I did some math comparisons long time ago when I had access to the old Star Wars d6 books and The Ent-D's shields could shrug off the death star's full power blast. Star Trek's numbers are just huge.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the shields always drop to a dangerously low number almost instantly and then hang there as long as necessary for the plot. that's because there's no reason to waste a couple minutes of air time on the unimportant parts of the scene. however, the end result is that star trek shields are usually pathetically weak.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

the shields always drop to a dangerously low number almost instantly and then hang there as long as necessary for the plot. that's because there's no reason to waste a couple minutes of air time on the unimportant parts of the scene. however, the end result is that star trek shields are usually pathetically weak.

How are things exploding and sparking and rocks coming out of the consoles if the shields are still up?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that there are computer controls on the front of consoles is secondary to their function of spark/rock storage.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

That was just purposefully done by starfleet, like how car fuel tanks often have a bunch of oil left when the gage hits empty, they found if they showed the proper numbers all their ships would blow up as the captains would stand around being stoic until the shields hit like 17% and then they'd actually rush around and do something. Most of the time when the shields read 20% they're actually still up in the high 80's.

Starfleet engineers know how captains work!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

That was just purposefully done by starfleet, like how car fuel tanks often have a bunch of oil left when the gage hits empty, they found if they showed the proper numbers all their ships would blow up as the captains would stand around being stoic until the shields hit like 17% and then they'd actually rush around and do something. Most of the time when the shields read 20% they're actually still up in the high 80's.

Starfleet engineers know how captains work!

Still too many rocks

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look where else are Starfleet engineers meant to stash their dozens or pet rocks!!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hi Star Trek thread, I come to ask a really stupid question:

Who would win against a Trisolaran droplet (From the Three Body Problem)? Or rather, how would the crews of the Enterprise-A, D, NX-01, DS9, and Voyager deal with one?

(This assumes the later books in the Remembrance series, after the Trisolarans somehow achieved FTL, so no "Oh they'd just warp away" nonsense)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
alternately, how many worfs do you need to fight goku?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

alternately, how many worfs do you need to fight goku?

Oh that ones, easy, one but he'll just immediately lose.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Word would proclaim that now that he has experienced 100 times gravity he must train in it

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Goku cannot defeat Worf, only kill him.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Goku cannot defeat Worf, only kill him.

A true warriors soul can never be defeated

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I can’t see Worf and Goku doing anything other than really hitting it off. Goku would love Klingon food.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And scene.

Ok I think I heard someone say Dragonborn? Ok so here's what it would might be like if Worf was the Dragonborn.

Alexander: Father, I would like to discuss
Word: FUS

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I also feel like Star Trek swings from ‘Armor plating can absorb some fire’ to ‘the shields are the only thing stopping us from an immediate explosive death’

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

moosecow333 posted:

I also feel like Star Trek swings from ‘Armor plating can absorb some fire’ to ‘the shields are the only thing stopping us from an immediate explosive death’

See, that poo poo is why I think the Droplet would wipe the fuckin floor with them, at least until Geordi or Seven of Nine or Rom thinks of a magical solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

moosecow333 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5CQtudEb60