Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Motronic posted:

Yes, and the topic is an OBD1 Camry, which does exactly this with code 52 set:

Thanks for this, I was gonna look into it at work tomorrow. I got the sensor ordered for next day from my local warehouse, surprisingly it's not discontinued. Hopefully it'll be an easy job, I'll get the exact instructions off of the dealer site tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
thanks, all. it's a lot of fun, just not very suited to this terrain! the mountainous forest roads on the way out there were a lot more what it's built for.

NitroSpazzz posted:

:perfect: Alternatively you could get a little more ground clearance and some meaty tires

it's a compelling idea. however, i already have a jeep for jeep things, and the purpose of this car is supposed to be for tearing it up around town, to and from work and all that. if i set it up for the occasional ranch trip, it would be that much less suited to the day-to-day.

however, i have been keeping an eye out for an eagle sx4 for this very reason... my jeep is too tall for high speed stuff, so something car-based with a low COG, but still sporting a jeep drivetrain (except the IFS) seems like it would be a lot of fun. maybe someday.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Raluek posted:

i really need to fix my jeep so i stop doing poo poo like this to my car, lmao

I disagree, this is cool as hell and I'm super jealous!

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

The metal trim started to peel off the parking brake button on my Mazda3 and that kind of poo poo drives me nuts. I initially assumed that the whole center consol control area would only be sold as a single unit but it turned out completely modular- got a used button assembly from a CX-30 for :10bux: on eBay and was able to get it installed in about 10 minutes.

I did a similar project on my Volvo s40 back in college and it literally took like two hours just to get the center console off. On the 3 you just pull up on the console and it pops off.

Thanks Mazda!

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 8, 2023

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I replaced the headlight bulbs in the F150 today, so I decided to fix the bumper while I had easy access to it. I just did a quick drifter's stitch with some zip ties, nice, easy, and free which is best of all.

OsteoMcB
Mar 19, 2023

My truck decided to throw codes for both upstream O2 sensors, running rich on both banks and air/fuel ratio imbalance. Went ahead and replaced the O2 sensors (they probably needed changing anyway) and after doing some research figured it might be best clean up the MAF sensor with brake MAF cleaner from my local Autozone. Got codes cleared and now I just need to drive it a bit and see if they show up again.

Next thing to do is figure out what the gently caress to do about my ball joints because I'm suspecting they're loving up my alignment. That and the alignment itself.

OsteoMcB fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 10, 2023

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
First and easiest project on my new V50 (that is in otherwise great cosmetic shape):

Makes such a difference IMO.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I don't post much but I do still work on the poo poo piles

94 Montero LS:
Replaced idle air control valve, been having idle issues for a while and smog testing is coming up so I replaced the valve. Who knew the tip of the valve wasn't supposed to be broken off in the bore of the housing?
Replaced the steering idle bushings with PolyTuff bushings in a search for cupping wear on front right. Helped but not solved.
Pulled out the 20 year old KYB Gas-A-Justs and put in cheapie Monroes continuing the front right wear issue. Again, helped but not solved.

95 Montero LS parts car turned development mule:
Put in factory rear air locker axle and pump/control/switch
Put in some Boo's Bash Plates front and mid skid plate
Added Bilstein 4600s and Old Man Emu 200mm lift rear springs

1979 Ford Fiesta:
Bought out of a field untouched since 2005 and slowly have been getting it cleaned up. Basically have done a deep tune up (carb rebuild and ignition work) and dealing with some pre-existing brake issues but it drives pretty well. It'll probably be the only registered Mk1 Fiesta that actually passes California smog left.

1992 Daihatsu Rocky:
Been trashing the extremely rare power steering line, so I gave up and TIG welded some -8AN fittings on and used old LeMons Charade fuel system parts to make the new hose. Works better than expected even with welding the fitting on 90deg off, necessitating a funky 135deg AN elbow fitting.
I really need to get some new tires and get it on the road :(

2015 Ford Fiesta 1.0:
Put in a boost gauge in the vent, used a sweet 90s HKS TURBO BOOST gauge. Waiting for it to explode like the Internet says it will?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

MrOnBicycle posted:

First and easiest project on my new V50 (that is in otherwise great cosmetic shape):

Makes such a difference IMO.

Post up some more pictures over in the Volvo thread! I love me some V50.

OsteoMcB
Mar 19, 2023

Goddamned codes for the banks running rich came back driving to work.

gently caress.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Taillights are in and wired, now just to start on trim. Back glass should be here Monday or Tuesday to be installed.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LloydDobler posted:

Post up some more pictures over in the Volvo thread! I love me some V50.

I just washed it and spent ages getting algae's and poo poo out of the window trim. I'll get some pictures ASAP.

My wife loves it and has claimed it as hers.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 11, 2023

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:siren::siren::siren:AI:SS 2023 - Late But Not Forgotten:siren::siren::siren:

I'm running it this year to give slothrop a well-deserved break:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4047118

This is a pretty late start and the deadlines are tighter, so don't dilly-dally.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

New tires on the Civic...still can't figure out where the $*(&@!# coolant leak on the back of the Mazdaspeed 6's engine is; transfer case coolant pipe seems likely, praying for no block leakage.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I can see!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I rotated the tires after about a year... Also took off an end link to see if it's the sway bar bushings making a racket over bumps. It isn't. :smith: Another control arm it is. At least the moog is still under warranty I guess. Less than 2 years on Michigan roads.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Grabbed a set of composite tire chains (Norauto F110, a rebrand of the Polaire Grip 110). I'm still trying to understand my car behaviors so i will skip the winter/all seasons tires for this year.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Replaced the battery.

Not a pain in the rear end at all, nope

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: AISS 2023: This Wednesday 11/22 is the last day to sign up! :frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

Did you catch a joke probation, make a super embarrassing post complaining about it, and need some holiday cheer to get you back in the shitposting spirit?

Then sign up for Automotive Insanity's Secret Santa! Some goon will send you a random assortment of items, mostly some broken car parts, and there is an option for penis-emblazonment. I have enjoyed it so much over the years that I volunteered to pick up the mantle from slothrop and organize it for 2023. So come on down and spread the holiday cheeks cheer!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Steve French posted:

Not a pain in the rear end at all, nope

Watt a pain. What vehicle is that?

I know Ford does it on the Transit (makes for EXTRA fun when there's a cage behind the seat - which most cargo vans have).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!

randomidiot posted:

Watt a pain. What vehicle is that?

First/second gen Cayenne. The kicker is that you need to operate the power seat in both directions in order to get to the battery......forwards to get to the rear rails to take off, backwards to undo the bolts in the front, then forwards as you flip the seat up on the hings so it opens all the way. So if it's totally dead you need to hook up a jump box to the posts under the hood and hope the battery isn't like internally shorted kinda dead.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yep, sounds German.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

First/second gen Cayenne. The kicker is that you need to operate the power seat in both directions in order to get to the battery......forwards to get to the rear rails to take off, backwards to undo the bolts in the front, then forwards as you flip the seat up on the hings so it opens all the way. So if it's totally dead you need to hook up a jump box to the posts under the hood and hope the battery isn't like internally shorted kinda dead.

This is a Touareg but yeah. It’s annoying but not that big a deal to turn a 2 minute job into a 20 minute one when it’s this many years between having to do it

Anyway, it’s for sale! I’m sure someone wants an old luxury-esque offroad sleeper, right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

Steve French posted:

This is a Touareg but yeah. It’s annoying but not that big a deal to turn a 2 minute job into a 20 minute one when it’s this many years between having to do it

Ahhh, a Cayenne LWB.

That is the good part - the battery is the size one would put into a piece of construction equipment so they do seem to last a long time even with the 2000s german "standby" parasitic draw.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I replaced a clunking lower control arm. I took the end link off a few days back to confirm the noise (still there on left turns) and torqued the wheel back on before remembering I forgot to put the link back on. :argh:

It still loving clunks, although much less because the bushing was cracked. This moog arm was less than two years old. I've replaced the strut twice because the first started leaking in the warranty period. Only one lovely strut available that's a quick strut so that was fun. I've also done the end links twice, also moog. Not sure if their quality isn't what it was but I'm less than impressed. I'm going to replace the bar bushings at a shop because I'm pretty sure the bolts will snap if I try it. Not dealing with that...

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

Ahhh, a Cayenne LWB.

That is the good part - the battery is the size one would put into a piece of construction equipment so they do seem to last a long time even with the 2000s german "standby" parasitic draw.

Am I misunderstanding or are you thinking of the Q7? Touareg is the same length as the Cayenne; Q7 was the three-row

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Steve French posted:

Am I misunderstanding or are you thinking of the Q7? Touareg is the same length as the Cayenne; Q7 was the three-row

He is likely misplacing the Macan as the standard Cayenne. Cayenne rides on the same underpinnings as the Q7, Q8, Urus, Bentayga and Tuareg.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

Steve French posted:

Oh right, it was the Q7 that was the long boy. Not too many Touregs around here, I thought they were longer as well.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Previously, my taillight lens had fallen off on the Saab. Thankfully, that happened in the driveway and some 3M adhesive fixed it. Now, about 5 years later, here we are again.

Except this time it happened when driving.

I suspect a contributing factor to this was the foam gasket that seats between the taillight housing and the body of the car. With how the water from the roof and rear window is routed, it all basically runs right over that.

The lens was lost on the road somewhere, so no repairing this time.
Thankfully, it isn't like these are getting hard to find so even used condition ones are around $150 each. :negative:

Anyway, a few days waiting for shipping and a few minutes and it was replaced:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

A little more trim put back on, and got the grille back in. Going to have to take the fenders off soon. We got the trim around the back glass reinstalled, so the back half of the car is pretty much done. Probably going to put the Vintage Air unit in this week, and then work on assembling the doors.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 25, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm not going to post it in my thread because I did a lovely job of it, and stopped taking pictures about 15 minutes in to it, but I finally got around to installing the 4wp bed stiffeners on my Tacoma. My bed is probably stiff enough, but believe it or not I do use it from time to time for hauling poo poo and having a couple extra tie downs points is fuckin useful .
The 4wp brand ones are hidden too, except for some small pieces that act as the tie down points, and also as beer openers.

Highlights of the install include a lesson in reading a fuckin tape measure properly. You are familiar with the saying "measure twice cut once"? Or is it "measure once cut twice"?
Well whatever it is, my lesson was MEASURE TEN FUCKIN TIMES DRILL THREE TIMES. Instead of two times. gently caress me. also all four of the stainless screws that hold the tie down pieces had the heads strip out on me without even using an impact. And one of the captive nuts that goes underneath stripped too. Also from not being impacted ... I can change the screws out and there's enough threads sticking out of the captive nuts to put another one on there and torque it down. Still a fuckin pain though.

I bought this kit months ago now and 4wp no longer has a presence in Canada so I can't even go to the store I bought it from and bitch to them about it.

gently caress it though, its done

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 26, 2023

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Yesterday I stacked all the wheels and tires against the shelf

Which made space to move the MX-5 into the blank space for the winter

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

How do people afford houses and cars?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

This house is my only debt in the world, thank gently caress. And I bought it nine years ago when the market was reasonable so it might even be an asset!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
You need some dollies for moving those wheel/tire stacks around. My Dad gifted me some with basic plywood and large free spinning wheels that have been really great. Though, given plywood costs they're probably not cheap anymore. :(

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Harbor freight has those 1 ton dollies that are $13 so yeah stock up on those, they're great and they really do roll with a lot of weight on them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

No. 6 posted:

Usually by not being a Millennial or Zoomer.

I remember that commercial.
Feels that way sometimes, but I’m on track to pay off my house in just under ten years.

About the time I retire :negative:

At least the house is worth a *lot* more after 23 years, even as poo poo as it is.

LloydDobler posted:

Harbor freight has those 1 ton dollies that are $13 so yeah stock up on those, they're great and they really do roll with a lot of weight on them.

Some of the HF ones have poo poo casters that don’t want to change direction when loaded, so look closely. Those may be the lower capacity ones.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

No. 6 posted:

Just have everyone you care about in the world die and leave you stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

No. 6 posted:

I live in Finland in a sparsely populated area. I drive old cars and do a lot of work on them myself. That's how.

I have no idea how people afford houses near cities and drive new cars, they must have a lot higher wages and a lot more loans. Still I wouldn't make that exchange.