Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

peanut posted:

I don't know for sure about renting as a tourist, but there are car places (usually "car/auto lease") that specialize in leases for business use, but also have rental options.
The place I use is in Shikoku so I don't think it will be a helpful recommendation.

For normal rental cars in Tokyo I usually rent from Nippon Rent-a-Car Tokyo Station Yaesu Exit because they have the best office hours and the online reservation portal isn't trash.

I don't mind Shikoku if that's the go, actually me and another Japan goon did a big road trip there in my last pseudo-rental car. Rained like hell the whole time (thanks, July), saw the big sand coin and the towel museum tho.

harperdc posted:

Glad to see this finally underway :gritin:

Another possible place to ask would be with the Importing Cars from Japan thread in AI, since they might have the right contacts to pull the “get a car registered, pay to use it in Japan, and work out shipping it to the U.S.” thing.

I hadn't thought of that, will make a post! I have a Russian-speaking BiL now (who is also a bit of a petrolhead) so if Putin carks it and things de-fash, hoping to do the real trip someday.

I have had... all manner of difficulties trying to buy a car in the US. It seems like everything is 2x the cost of Australia (and maybe 3x the cost of Japan at the current exchange rate) and everyone is just incredibly flakey and dishonest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Have any of you all been or stayed in Kamata? Is it recommended? Mostly my work has a hotel there and am wondering if I should see if I can get my employee discount at it but if there's better areas to stay maybe I shouldn't?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

In Tokyo next week for a few days (quick work trip) and looking for a list / recommendations for listening bars and/or record bars in the area. Googling for some lists but goon recommendations always trump those for me.

Talking or no-talking, fine for me either way — I’d almost prefer the latter.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

peanut posted:

I don't know for sure about renting as a tourist, but there are car places (usually "car/auto lease") that specialize in leases for business use, but also have rental options.
The place I use is in Shikoku so I don't think it will be a helpful recommendation.

For normal rental cars in Tokyo I usually rent from Nippon Rent-a-Car Tokyo Station Yaesu Exit because they have the best office hours and the online reservation portal isn't trash.

My girlfriend and I plan on going to Shikoku and renting a car in March 2024 - can you please share with me the place you use? :D

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Good Listener posted:

Have any of you all been or stayed in Kamata? Is it recommended? Mostly my work has a hotel there and am wondering if I should see if I can get my employee discount at it but if there's better areas to stay maybe I shouldn't?

Kamata is for commuting, not tourism, but there are a lot of restaurants in the station area because 3 lines cross/start there. You can get an authentic experience.
The Keihin-Tohoku line is parallel to the Yamanote line, so if the price is right, it's not bad at all.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

My girlfriend and I plan on going to Shikoku and renting a car in March 2024 - can you please share with me the place you use? :D

https://3ko.jp/category/rental/

This is in Niihama. In September I needed to rent a car for 1 month for work (my husband and I usually work from home so we share 1 car) and it was 70,000 yen for 30 days.
There are probably cheaper places but 70,000 is very reasonable compared to national chains, and I invoiced it to my client, and everyone was happy.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

peanut posted:

https://3ko.jp/category/rental/

This is in Niihama. In September I needed to rent a car for 1 month for work (my husband and I usually work from home so we share 1 car) and it was 70,000 yen for 30 days.
There are probably cheaper places but 70,000 is very reasonable compared to national chains, and I invoiced it to my client, and everyone was happy.

Thank you!

We will start doing research on places to see and what to do in March. We have traveled extensively around Japan but this will be our first time in Shikoku. Would you say a week is enough?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

peanut posted:

Kamata is for commuting, not tourism, but there are a lot of restaurants in the station area because 3 lines cross/start there. You can get an authentic experience.
The Keihin-Tohoku line is parallel to the Yamanote line, so if the price is right, it's not bad at all.

Oh nice I might have to look into it then if it makes it easy to commute around to all the diff Tokyo areas we wanna hit up then. Still building the plan of what we wanna do but it's not til July so yea. Thanks!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Has climate change hosed up the weather in Japan yet or can I expect Osaka in May to be just nice and warm like it was when I was there in 2017

I will also accept it being cold because that’s whatever, just please don’t be humid that poo poo sucks

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The weather was super hosed up this year, and next year is projected to be worse.

May was very warm this year with a few very hot days.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Has climate change hosed up the weather in Japan yet or can I expect Osaka in May to be just nice and warm like it was when I was there in 2017

You could go check temps but early May (GW) was fine, but by late May summer had arrived. Maybe not fully sweaty season but definitely not fun, at least up in Tokyo area.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m in Tokyo for like the last week of May :negative:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
The weather was so brutal even in September. I got heat exhaustion at a meat festival, which was the first year it ran, in a parking lot with no shade. People were still sitting out in the sun for some reason? My friends and I were trying to find any shade.

I think that was my worst day in Japan.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It was pretty much Japanese summer from late May to end of October this year.

"Japan has four seasons" <- lol

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Tokyo just set a new record high for a recorded temperature in November, 27.5°C on November 7. The previous record goes back 100 years. Literally five goddamn days ago. Today the high temp is supposed to be 12°C. Japan has four seasons!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It wasn't Japanese summer yet but it was pretty warm in March already. I was smart enough not to bring a coat, most days I didn't need a jacket either.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I was in Tokyo mid and the end of May this year and i thought the weather was perfect.

It wasnt hot or humid. Got drizzle one afternoon while at Meiji Shrine/Harajuku, but didnt even need an umbrella.

I guess it is what you are used to (and as long as there is no humidity its all fine??)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The biggest problem is heaters are set for the calendar, not the weather, so it's a pleasant enough 20C outside and then you get on a train or go into a restaurant and the heat is cranked to max. Few train rides where I thought I was about to pass out it was such an oven in there.

Also depends what you're doing, I'm out walking all day long so the cooler the better.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zettace posted:

It was pretty much Japanese summer from late May to end of October this year.

"Japan has four seasons" <- lol

Japan had four seasons.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Japan had great weather and up to 80 degrees in November when I just visited.

Also the toilets are so clean and the bidets rule.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

The heaters comment is dead on - it was 80 out and heaters were still pumping on every store so we would bail pretty quick or just assume even if the weather is pleasant it will be hot on the train and in stores.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Japan had four seasons.

Yeah, this. It shouldn’t be 20+/70+ so far into October, never mind in November. Tokyo is the same latitude as San Francisco, there should be some semblance of fall in the, erm, fall.

So this means we’re going to have two weeks to see the leaves change color and then it’s right into winter until March. Joy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

San Francisco is a bad metric for seasonal weather

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Even like 50 years ago Japan's summers were long and unbearably hot and humid, it's just that now it's like a week longer and 2% more unbearable

Maybe that means at some point Hokkaido will have perfect weather and we can all just move there

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

Good Listener posted:

Yes it is a very nice area I would live there

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

RE: rental cars in Shikoku, Kochi station has some very very cheap rental car services but I have never used them. I see ads in the newspaper such as 3000 yen for 24 hours, etc

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Even like 50 years ago Japan's summers were long and unbearably hot and humid, it's just that now it's like a week longer and 2% more unbearable

Maybe that means at some point Hokkaido will have perfect weather and we can all just move there

Summer is a great time to visit Hokkaido, a mate and I did a motorcycle trip up there after I finished up my contract on JET. We stayed at Rider's Houses half the time and bush camped the rest, had an amazing time. Definitely a bit of a respite from the rest of Japanese summer, I nearly got heat stroke on the highway on my way up from Wakayama to meet him.

Maybe it's because I grew up somewhere with a similar climate, or because my first trip to Japan was in summer, but it's always been my favourite time to be in Japan. Sure, it's hot and humid, but you are never far from a conbini or vending machine for something cold to drink, there's festivals/fireworks, etc.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 12, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

peanut posted:

San Francisco is a bad

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

mongolia posted:

Yes it is a very nice area I would live there

It looks like it's also super close to Kamata station and Bourbon road so we might set up there as our base of operations for a good portion of the trip. Might wanna stay a night in a couple other places though.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

So, topical… We’re planning a trip to Japan for next year and I hoped to see the fall colours. Are the first two weeks of November likely to be risky for this, given the weather this year?

We’d be landing in Tokyo and visiting friends in Kyoto, the rest of the itinerary isn’t settled yet.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kaom posted:

So, topical… We’re planning a trip to Japan for next year and I hoped to see the fall colours. Are the first two weeks of November likely to be risky for this, given the weather this year?

We’d be landing in Tokyo and visiting friends in Kyoto, the rest of the itinerary isn’t settled yet.

It's challenging to predict what the autumn leaves will do anywhere a whole year in advance.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

This post is by an elementary school principal who just had five students hospitalized with heat stroke during a sports day practice.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Midjack posted:

It's challenging to predict what the autumn leaves will do anywhere a whole year in advance.

Yeah fair, I wasn’t expecting psychic knowledge more “what does it look like right now?” We’re paying for the flights with points so we need to decide super early.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

kaom posted:

Yeah fair, I wasn’t expecting psychic knowledge more “what does it look like right now?” We’re paying for the flights with points so we need to decide super early.

Next year will probably be like this year or warmer, so later in November is probably safer if you want to see leaves.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I'm getting on a plane for Japan in like 12 hours, I sure hope it's hella chilly so I can wear my jackets.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Revitalized posted:

I'm getting on a plane for Japan in like 12 hours, I sure hope it's hella chilly so I can wear my jackets.

It is. At least compared to last week.

Trilly Joel
Apr 27, 2023

`
edit: yo I'm from Eugene ^

I just realized this forum exists so I'll ask this here. Sorry if it's not the right place.

Does anyone have any experience with mortgages in Japan? My wife is Japanese and we're considering moving back to Niigata where she is from, and I'd be working remotely. We'd probably be buying a house.

From trawling suumo.jp, it looks like their calculator actually says you can put down $10,000 or so as a down payment on a place that costs like $300,000 USD. Is that for real? Is there no "You must put down 20% on the house" standard like there is in the states? It seems crazy that you'd be able to get a 0.7% interest rate and put down $10,000 as the down payment.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Ask Beavis

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Trilly Joel posted:

edit: yo I'm from Eugene ^

I just realized this forum exists so I'll ask this here. Sorry if it's not the right place.

Does anyone have any experience with mortgages in Japan?

Yep. Bought an apartment in a building a couple years ago.

I think there are a few other homeowners who are in the threads, but having a Japanese national involved helps for sure. Other questions might be better over PM or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Hey, speaking of fit white guy jeans... here comes another dumb question: as a very lorge goon how very likely it is for the yukatas provided by a Ryokan to not fit? Is it ok to not wear it or wear it open? Should I go to that one sumo wrestler store in Tokyo and buy one to (partially) avoid shame?

I think I'm set to go to Nakatsugawa and see some bits of the Old Nakasendo passes. Just have to figure out how to ask for a reservation on this neat ryokan I've seen in Ochiai.