Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Since the last update to Chrome on my phone, it now submits the form when using autofill for my credit card. But it can't autofill the cvc number (by design, which is sensible), so the payment fails.

This is also the fault of websites that don't validate the presence of a value for the field before submission, which is also very stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

assume the audience for their channel to be slope-skulled cro-magnons

But is this an unreasonable assumption?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Outrail posted:

I mean it probably isn't wrong if we are talking about people who still watch TV... But the reason why only cromagnons watch TV is that everybody else has been chased away by cromagnon pandering executives in the past

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The entirety of HP seems to fit this thread.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
HP the sauce, HP the printer manufacturer, HP the laptop / PC brand, HP the wizarding media empire? I assume all of them would be applicable

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

HP the sauce, HP the printer manufacturer, HP the laptop / PC brand, HP the wizarding media empire? I assume all of them would be applicable

LOL weird that they all fit, right?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

steinrokkan posted:

HP the sauce, HP the printer manufacturer, HP the laptop / PC brand, HP the wizarding media empire

HP the flamethrower!

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Outrail posted:

the worst i would phrase it is "it depends on the show/platform" but even then, people aren't stupid in the way that channels like to assume. if you don't understand something specific you don't lose your poo poo and rage quit the TV, you use context just like you did when you were a kid and didn't get something. you act like you get it and it smooths over.

you can't make a show that panders to every ignorance that your audience could possibly have anyway

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

the worst i would phrase it is "it depends on the show/platform" but even then, people aren't stupid in the way that channels like to assume. if you don't understand something specific you don't lose your poo poo and rage quit the TV, you use context just like you did when you were a kid and didn't get something. you act like you get it and it smooths over.

you can't make a show that panders to every ignorance that your audience could possibly have anyway

Fox news sure makes an effort at it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Seseme street gave it a shot but yeah

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

My wife has family members who tried to watch the first season of True Detective and literally could not understand what they were watching, they were so used to “hold your hand network shows”. They were mad that they couldn’t understand and wanted Rust and Marty to solve a new murder each episode and couldn’t believe they were expected to remember stuff.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

For like 10 years the US clothing store/product line "Express" (maybe now it's called Men's Express, or they split the men/women's section?) was my go to "affordable but decent quality work clothes and suits" store. Like every pair of slacks, button-up shirt, and suit jacket came from there since 2012. You could get clearance stuff for like 50% a lot because it was "out of fashion", and I used to buy several pairs of good quality slacks for like $50 each and they'd last years. They also regularly had "slim fit" versions of shirts which fit my narrow frame perfectly.

The last two pairs of pants I bought there lasted about 5 months before the lining on the inside just shredded apart and the hems at the bottom started unraveling. I got two nice dressy short-sleeve summer shirts from them in April and one of them promptly just lost a button and the other started having the fabric at the base of the shirt just crumple up. And those shirts were like $60 each.

gently caress them, I may finally just make the move to getting a tailored outfit for my important work clothes.

The old producer pants were some of my favorites. They had excellent memory and didn’t need to be ironed and had nice elasticity. You could wear them as dress pants, casual pants, and roll them up and they were shorts just fine. Very breathable on your junk too.

Then the fabric on the black ones changed and a few years later the white ones. Just garbage, always wrinkled, the thin fabric had no give and would fall apart faster. I ended up throwing away like $250 worth of them before they even gave out because I’m not going to bother trying to iron plastic melty pants just oh so right.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
I do not visit yelp all that frequently so I have no idea when this change was made. Theres a shop I’m visiting later and wanted to check out some of the pictures others had posted in their reviews. However, yelp is blocking me from being able to see them unless I download and install the yelp app, which I’m not doing.

Yelp was always lovely so all they’ve done is outdone themselves in their capacity for shittiness.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Trojan.exe posted:

I do not visit yelp all that frequently so I have no idea when this change was made. Theres a shop I’m visiting later and wanted to check out some of the pictures others had posted in their reviews. However, yelp is blocking me from being able to see them unless I download and install the yelp app, which I’m not doing.

Yelp was always lovely so all they’ve done is outdone themselves in their capacity for shittiness.

Forcing desktop mode used to bypass this, it still works for me.

Related: the first three reviews on any given Yelp page are NOT reviews for the business you've looked up, they are reviews for related businesses or random poo poo in your area. If you want the actual reviews of the place you looked up you have to scroll halfway down the page.

Everything about their web platform is actively hostile to mobile users and is deliberately designed to force you into installing the app. loving shameless.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Sorry, Copy/Paste is now enhanced with AI and powered by The Cloud (And requires a subscription of $9.95 / month)

AI prediction for copy/paste formatting is a loving incredible idea right out of my personal hell. Amazing that we haven't seen it yet.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

Has anyone else mentioned Halloween candy? I realized over the past few years that there's like 3 variety bags that everyone buys at whatever big box store. I remember in 80-90s Halloween that we got all sorts of weird candy that we'd never try otherwise, like wax teeth, honey sesames, or colorful tootsie rolls
Now it's a sea of Mars products for both chocolate and fruity types of candy. The conglomeration of another industry.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
candy is bad now because there's no more free drugs from druglords.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Still lots of free razor blades though. I'm set for the rest of the year!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

AI prediction for copy/paste formatting is a loving incredible idea right out of my personal hell. Amazing that we haven't seen it yet.

Word predicts what you are going to type now it’s Terrible

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

euphronius posted:

Word predicts what you are going to type now it’s Terrible

Speaking of which, Microsoft added AI to their Intellisence autocomplete in Visual Studio and the suggestive text takes forever to load and it's often wildly incorrect. It's basically useless now.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

anonumos posted:

Speaking of which, Microsoft added AI to their Intellisence autocomplete in Visual Studio and the suggestive text takes forever to load and it's often wildly incorrect. It's basically useless now.

Damnit ClippyPilot!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

redshirt posted:

The entirety of HP seems to fit this thread.

Yeah, Lovecraft stuff hasn't aged well, especially the racism.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I just got back from seeing The Marvels at an AMC. I'm actually not going to complain about the film, or Marvel movies, or whatever (that debate has been done to death anyways). Instead, I'm gonna complain about the fact that there were a full 35 minutes of previews beforehand! It's nuts that I showed up 20 minutes late (because that is the standard amount of ads nowadays), and I still had to sit through 15 more minutes of previews. And the most annoying part is that the amount of ads is wildly variable — I showed up 20 minutes late to TMNT earlier this year, and missed the first five minutes of the movie because there were less previews than normal. So "just show up later" isn't really a viable option if you want to see the whole movie.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
That's presumably by design, or everyone would start showing up (reliable number of minutes) late, and that wouldn't do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know the article goes for the Algorithm, but the "Algorithm" is corporate suite tummy-feels and attempts to avoid invoking their wrath. I've done this work before for numerous businesses, it starts with a specific site or type of site blocked and then a request to include them and after enough companies get the same tummy-feel pressure there becomes a list at an ad server level. Theres no "algorithm", just a mashed table of "no one in corporate will complain if you block this" and" will potentially scream bloody murder if you don't".

Edit: I once had to pull a list of more than 4 thousand websites for a corporate exec to trawl through so they could line by line strike out the ones they didn't like.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 12, 2023

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Got gas at Circle K and someone had written “mute” on the pump in both English and Spanish pointing to the second button down on the right of the screen.

I instantly thought of this thread.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Barudak posted:

I know the article goes for the Algorithm, but the "Algorithm" is corporate suite tummy-feels and attempts to avoid invoking their wrath. I've done this work before for numerous businesses, it starts with a specific site or type of site blocked and then a request to include them and after enough companies get the same tummy-feel pressure there becomes a list at an ad server level. Theres no "algorithm", just a mashed table of "no one in corporate will complain if you block this" and" will potentially scream bloody murder if you don't".

Edit: I once had to pull a list of more than 4 thousand websites for a corporate exec to trawl through so they could line by line strike out the ones they didn't like.

this is a great example (among many) of AI as a fig leaf for cultural bias and collusion

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.

Atopian posted:

That's presumably by design, or everyone would start showing up (reliable number of minutes) late, and that wouldn't do.

I got out of theatre work in 2017, so I can't speak to this exact scenario, but it wasn't nearly as coordinated as you'd expect. Movie comes in with a list of trailers to run on opening weekend (sometimes an exact, you must follow this or be reprimanded list, sometimes "A, B, C, + two more family friendly films" list) and then every weekend those lists get pruned to remove films that are opening that weekend.

Only rarely did replacements/additions get made to films that held over into their third, fourth, etc weeks. So if you roll into TMNT on week three or four and its trailer pack has been pruned down to half its original length, you could easily miss a few minutes by trying to avoid trailers. I used to give my box office employees lists of trailer lengths to help customers avoid that sort of situation, but that was years ago and before covid.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Athletic sweat pants have gotten to me. I laid out the XL, L, M, S all on top of each other at the storm the other day. Maybe a half inch difference in length from one size to the next. You almost have to be 6’ tall to wear the S without pulling it up to your chest.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

nbakyfan posted:

Athletic sweat pants have gotten to me. I laid out the XL, L, M, S all on top of each other at the storm the other day. Maybe a half inch difference in length from one size to the next. You almost have to be 6’ tall to wear the S without pulling it up to your chest.

Sounds like a problem for manlets. This is just the natural evolution of the chad clothing styles.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I put one too many bags in our garbage can, causing the lid to be propped open by like 2 inches, and the garbage company mailed me a picture of my can and threatened me with fines if I don't stop this heinous unlawful behavior.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They are right

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

They are right

trash removal should be a municipal service. private for profit companies are just another leech on the system.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

VikingofRock posted:

I just got back from seeing The Marvels at an AMC. I'm actually not going to complain about the film, or Marvel movies, or whatever (that debate has been done to death anyways). Instead, I'm gonna complain about the fact that there were a full 35 minutes of previews beforehand! It's nuts that I showed up 20 minutes late (because that is the standard amount of ads nowadays), and I still had to sit through 15 more minutes of previews. And the most annoying part is that the amount of ads is wildly variable — I showed up 20 minutes late to TMNT earlier this year, and missed the first five minutes of the movie because there were less previews than normal. So "just show up later" isn't really a viable option if you want to see the whole movie.

Seems to be an AMC thing. I've seen one movie at AMC in the past like 5 years and it was 30+ minutes of ads and trailers. Find a smaller, regional chain. The one I go to has like two trailers and an ad before the movie starts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ArmedZombie posted:

trash removal should be a municipal service. private for profit companies are just another leech on the system.

Ok then, I assumed it was the municipality complaining

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Our municipality switched from public to private trash removal last year. Now it’s one guy both driving the truck and doing the work, instead of two alternating

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

bradzilla posted:

Seems to be an AMC thing. I've seen one movie at AMC in the past like 5 years and it was 30+ minutes of ads and trailers. Find a smaller, regional chain. The one I go to has like two trailers and an ad before the movie starts.

Sounds like AMC isn't doing so well. Someone should look into that, maybe drum up some investors.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My municipality renogotiated the private trash pickup contract such that the garbage man having to roll the trash bins out from the back/side of apartment buildings now costs a lot extra. So now there is a cottage industry of independent contractors (aka a guy in a yellow vest) who landlords hire to come by the building and put the bins out on the curb the night before and then come by again after pickup and return the bins. Sometimes that guy shows up and sometimes he doesn't, but there is really no way to check aside from the tenants maybe noticing that the trash bins are overflowing for some reason and connecting the dots enough to complain.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I know this is the things that got shittier thread, but reading about the 35 minutes of ads in front of a movie made me realize I see maybe one movie a year, if at all. There's no point rushing to a theatre when I know it'll be on streaming in like 2 months tops. Which is honestly fantastic, remember when we were kids and they made people wait over a year before putting out the VHS of something? And they'd release it to rental stores first, then only for home purchase a few months after that. DVDs hosed that whole system up, thankfully.

The pandemic basically got rid of even releasing things in the theatre and they're clawing it back, but I'll go back to a movie theatre pretty much never. I can't smoke weed, drink, and yell at the screen there. Plus, the food I have at home is way better than the frozen poo poo they toss in a microwave.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'll go to the theater but only like once a year. I usually go vip though where you get a nice chair and you can order food and beer to drink.