Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
homemade bread without any sugar seems to last about four days before it starts becoming rock hard. Assuming you sliced it on day 3 or 4, you can always use the rock hard bread for french toast or in soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

root beer posted:

In my experience bread from the bread aisle usually keeps pretty well, going stale well before it molds, but the stuff we get from the actual bakery only seems to hold up less than a week

Really that's so interesting. I wonder why that could be. Please tell me more

mystes
May 31, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Refrigerated or frozen bread sucks, completely ruins the texture. I would rather throw it out
In my experience frozen bread is fine in terms of texture but I'm not usually freezing sliced supermarket bread

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

All the bread we stocked when I worked at Trader Joe's came off a freezer truck.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

All the bread we stocked when I worked at Trader Joe's came off a freezer truck.

Joe's had the only palatable store bread when I visited LA. IDK why american cereal also tastes stale out of the box.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ijyt posted:

Joe's had the only palatable store bread when I visited LA. IDK why american cereal also tastes stale out of the box.

TJs is the only place in LA that doesn’t scoop the bread.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Milk today is so terrible, you can scarcely leave it open on the counter for more than two weeks before it goes funny

mystes
May 31, 2006

They only scoop the bread in upstate California

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You know how there are machines that will slice a loaf of bread for you at the store, are there also machines that will scoop your bread? Or perhaps scoop the individual slices?

mystes
May 31, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

You know how there are machines that will slice a loaf of bread for you at the store, are there also machines that will scoop your bread? Or perhaps scoop the individual slices?
Please investigate this further. I can't wait to hear the inside scoop.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Just about every kind of bread you've eaten at a restaurant was frozen. There isn't enough water in the bread to ruin the texture when it freezes and mold will still grow in a refrigerator (see: every dairy product). If you're a sad sack of poo poo living alone and can't eat a whole loaf before it gets moldy or just want to make less trips to the store this is the best option.

meme tax: have a lovely 'shop I made regarding the Michigan Football sign-stealing scandal and imagine a movie with Tim Robinson playing Jim Harbaugh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

Put it in the freezer!

Freezer bread bro :respek:, I used to be a baker and there is zero difference between bread that was frozen and bread that just came out of the oven. I don't want to work anymore.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Does anyone have the photo series of the middle-aged men at the weirdest Thanksgiving ever? All of the food is questionable, I believe there's a pile of hay in one corner, and it's set up like a buffet.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Every time the bread (or anything else) gets thawed and frozen, it will get a little worse. The expansion of the water breaks down the food at a microscopic level (cellular iirc but i am not a food science)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If you're going to toast it, frozen bread is 100% fine and beats day-old non-frozen bread.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Well yeah that's why you freeze a loaf and then just take out the slices you're gonna eat.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Grassy Knowles posted:

Every time the bread (or anything else) gets thawed and frozen, it will get a little worse. The expansion of the water breaks down the food at a microscopic level (cellular iirc but i am not a food science)

you dont thaw the whole loaf :psyduck:

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Does anyone have the photo series of the middle-aged men at the weirdest Thanksgiving ever? All of the food is questionable, I believe there's a pile of hay in one corner, and it's set up like a buffet.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vmC3V3e

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

you dont thaw the whole loaf :psyduck:

That’s correct, I’m explaining one reason why store bought bread being refrozen ends up worse — it isn’t the first freeze

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

He's just a big, stoned, horny kitty

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ijyt posted:

Bike Tory is MvP hundreds of pages running imo, thank you bike tory

been saying this

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Mauser posted:

homemade bread without any sugar seems to last about four days before it starts becoming rock hard. Assuming you sliced it on day 3 or 4, you can always use the rock hard bread for french toast or in soup

Just run that shizz under the tap and then pop it in the oven at 350 for like 5 mins and boom you got a fresh loaf.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Postin a meme in the Breadfan thread

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

pre slice it before you freeze it and then defrost the individual slices as needed. :science:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

big mean giraffe posted:

Refrigerated or frozen bread sucks, completely ruins the texture. I would rather throw it out

Not if it's in a bag, bread freezes fine.

E: oh God we have found it, the most ultimately tedious food derail

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

sebmojo posted:

Not if it's in a bag, bread freezes fine.

E: oh God we have found it, the most ultimately tedious food derail

frozen bread is fine if you dip it in beanless chili and tip the server 18%

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

luchadornado posted:

frozen bread is fine if you dip it in beanless chili and tip the server 18%

This derail will never take off, I'm 99.9999% sure.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

How many frozen loaves would 5 MMA guys need to beat a gorilla

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

big mean giraffe posted:

Makes me think you've turned the little dial in your freezer from GOOD all the way over to CHEAP

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just bake everyday. I am literally posting whilst preparing tomorrow's bread, just like yesterday

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

BonHair posted:

Just bake everyday. I am literally posting whilst preparing tomorrow's bread, just like yesterday

if you're lazy and have the spare cash you can make it in a Cuisinart with a bread blade. takes like 1 minute to form adequate gluten.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
so apparently one time Grandma said, "you like olive loaf, right?" and my dad said "sure, it's OK" and so the next day she made 180 olive loaf sandwiches and froze them all and sent them with him to school one by one

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

BonHair posted:

Say what you will, he's on top of my personal top three of Babylonian dudes. Which is a top three because I can only think of Gilgamesh and Hammurabi other than Ea-Nasir, and neither of the former have brought me as much joy as the latter.

This is Enkidu erasure

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LookieLoo posted:

Freezer bread bro :respek:, I used to be a baker and there is zero difference between bread that was frozen and bread that just came out of the oven.

Gotta be honest you sound like a terrible baker lol it tastes massively different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, one should be noticeably warmer