Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I Googled it and can't find what I'm looking for, but IIRC, Titanic aired unedited on network television in the US (I believe it was NBC), which was a big deal at the time. This was pre-Janet Jackson's nipple being shown at the Superbowl halftime show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rageaholic posted:

I Googled it and can't find what I'm looking for, but IIRC, Titanic aired unedited on network television in the US (I believe it was NBC), which was a big deal at the time. This was pre-Janet Jackson's nipple being shown at the Superbowl halftime show.
I find that extremely hard to believe.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I could have sworn I saw a blurred version broadcast but who knows

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I only remember this because I was young and watching it with my very conservative Catholic mom who made me look away when it got time for that scene lmao

So I didn't actually see that scene unedited with my own two eyes, but I vaguely remember it being advertised as airing unedited on whatever network it was on. That was a long time ago, though, so I could be wrong :shobon:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I find that extremely hard to believe.

It did happen. I don’t remember when, but that was seen as a Big Deal. Why the gently caress did Nixon make legislating morality part of the FCC’s purview?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember in 2009 there was a nipple briefly in one of the last Battlestar Galactica episodes on basic cable.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm from a less conservative country and I remember when it was a big deal that a local network started airing Saving Private Ryan at 20:30 on a memorial day. You couldn't air a movie that was 16+ before 22:00 at the time, so the network was given a fine. They relaxed it to 20:00 at some point. In general having more channels and the continued popularity of series dealing with crime and murder makes me think it's far less regulated these days. And you've got a medical show like ER or House? You can probably run that on repeat, 24/7, show all those organs and splatter all that blood!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 11, 2023

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RevKrule posted:

That was gory sure, but I got 2 words for you from an earlier season that were even more "how did this get past S&P?": Horse. Birth.

Hugh Dancy deserved an Emmy for his delivery of the line "Peter...is your social worker inside that horse?" alone.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Saving Private Ryan was unedited when it debuted on network TV in the US. I believe it was also commercial free with a solemn “Brought to you by The Ford Motor Company” intro message from whoever the sponsor was. Maybe there was an intermission for a car commercial.

I have a vague memory of the same thing happening for Titanic. I haven’t watched OTA in forever and curious if it’s been done for other movies, but with the prevalence of streaming I guess it wouldn’t have the same punch.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember some station showed The Godfather and blacked out the nudity in that scene and someone wrote in to the local paper complaining that the station was censoring art lol

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I remember Saving Private Ryan doing that. I seem to recall seeing Three Kings on network tv with the pretty grisly inside chest shots of the collapsed lung flopping around too.

The local ABC affiliate used to do a double feature on Saturday nights where I saw The Howling 2: Your Sister is a Werewolf. I don’t think they trimmed much out. Even for 11PM on Saturday night.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Where did the Stargate series originally in the US? I have a vague memory from my childhood in Europe seeing the pilot at 10 am on a Saturday on network TV and seeing some unexpected boobs I think.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Majkol posted:

Where did the Stargate series originally in the US? I have a vague memory from my childhood in Europe seeing the pilot at 10 am on a Saturday on network TV and seeing some unexpected boobs I think.

It was originally on showtime, and the change in budget is really obvious once it switches over to Sci-Fi, because the earlier seasons didn't mainly film in the same park in Canada.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a version of the pilot movie for Baywatch that has some random nudity in it.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The pilot episode of Stargate SG-1 featured female full front nudity.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nudity is there to tell you you’re watching prestige television. Otherwise how would you know?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Professor Shark posted:

I remember some station showed The Godfather and blacked out the nudity in that scene and someone wrote in to the local paper complaining that the station was censoring art lol

Those titties were works of art dammit.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

To be fair they were pretty good but it was awkward watching that with my dad the first time

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Carpet posted:

The pilot episode of Stargate SG-1 featured female full front nudity.

It is funny how Showtime kept making shows shoehorn in nudity, see also their version of The Outer Limits.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think the actress was underage

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dinosaurs! posted:

Saving Private Ryan was unedited when it debuted on network TV in the US. I believe it was also commercial free with a solemn “Brought to you by The Ford Motor Company” intro message...

"This movie is brought to you by ford. Always remember that time those jerk rear end allied soldiers spent many years being mean to those nice nazi people who did nothing wrong!!!!"

Yeah maybe ford should stay clear of ww2 stuff.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe IBM could take over the sponsorship

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Promotional consideration provided by Hugo Boss

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Has Hugo Boss ever worked for Kiss? I smell a wonderful opportunity for brand synergy AND some nostalgia.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

Has Hugo Boss ever worked for Kiss? I smell a wonderful opportunity for brand synergy AND some nostalgia.

Wait Kiss supported hitler as well? Well poo poo they've been playing for a lot longer than I thought. Didn't realize hair metal was around in the mid 1930's. Got to give it to the nazi assholes, looking great for their age.

Oh... they nazi's didn't end up getting the grail after all did they!!!!!!!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

dr_rat posted:

Wait Kiss supported hitler as well? Well poo poo they've been playing for a lot longer than I thought. Didn't realize hair metal was around in the mid 1930's. Got to give it to the nazi assholes, looking great for their age.

Oh... they nazi's didn't end up getting the grail after all did they!!!!!!!

I was more alluding to the fact that Kiss are a bunch of idiots with some hilarious marketing missteps like that "We love Ausstria [SS in the colors of the Australian flag]" promotional thing. I just really want somebody to gently caress up and have "Hugo Boss" but with those letters on their promotional material, preferably leading to some firings.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I think the actress was underage

That didn't stop anyone in American Beauty

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

It's fine as long as you don't show a titty/dong

Funniest part is that they (Hannibal) did show a clear shot of a cock, but they got away with it because it was severed and lying on a mattress.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hannibal also aired a lesbian sex scene but got it past the censors via a surreal kaleidoscope effect.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Infamously there’s a poster of two bodies posed as blood angels but their butts were too much for the morality police so they covered them in blood in order to get approved

If that’s not a metaphor for American views on sex vs violence idk what is

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
America will only become a great nation when it releases the version of Event Horizon with the full uncensored mutilation orgy as originally conceived that has all the violence and all the sex, on prime time network tv.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

galagazombie posted:

America will only become a great nation when it releases the version of Event Horizon with the full uncensored mutilation orgy as originally conceived that has all the violence and all the sex, on prime time network tv.

Didn’t that orgy scene only survive as some godforsaken VHS copy with the original print lost? That poo poo would be like the dream sequences in Lair of the White Worm, plus plus.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

americans prefer acts of destruction rather than creation

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Puritan Nation

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

galagazombie posted:

The what?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Paul WS Anderson presents resident evil zombie loving but less decomposition and more sadism

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
They've recovered and restored the deleted footage that was hidden away in a Transylvanian salt mine?!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Man Paul WS Anderson first films were all great very enjoyable trash, Mortal Kombat, Event Horizon, Solider, then what the hell happened with all the resident evil movies.

I mean even though I don't like them, I do have a certain respect for how he somehow wrote/directed the entire series and they all managed to completely ignore previous movies and just do what ever random bullshit. Like I dunno even know, just constant utterly bizarre choices.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Still can't believe that Soldier is part of the Blade Runner universe. That's the one it's connected to right? Or is it Aliens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shageletic posted:

Still can't believe that Soldier is part of the Blade Runner universe. That's the one it's connected to right? Or is it Aliens?

Yeah it's Blade Runner. The writer David Webb Peoples co-wrote Blade Runner, and he said he considered it to be set in the same universe. The Tannhäuser Gate are mentioned and a spinner can be seen in some trash yard.

They didn't get the rights or anything though.

Edit: Just looked it up when the writer for Event Horizon was asked about it he says "he played the poo poo out of WH40K and it was definitely an influence on Event Horizon", but that's the only official connection for that one.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 12, 2023