Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

bird food bathtub posted:

Oh it's so much weirder than you imagine.

The check was for puppies.

And he wrote like 10 of them the same day to different people for a lot of puppies.
The then auctioned the puppies off to raise money for his fake animal rescue charity.

Some old farmer held on to Santos's cancelled check for like 10 years to prove that he was a liar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Agents are GO! posted:

To drink 4loko and listen to Limp Bizkit in the Taco Bell parking lot.

Unless you got a heart transplant from a 20 year old in 2000, I think you might want to see a doctor. I think it's trying to kill you.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Oh it's so much weirder than you imagine.

The check was for puppies.

And he wrote like 10 of them the same day to different people for a lot of puppies.

I’m really, really loving the image of a guy in a straw hat with a beard like a rhododendron shouting about how the “verdammte Englisch Santos” has stolen his puppies.

The word “beschwindeln” is in there a lot.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The funniest part is when Santos asked the pet store that worked with him to make the check out to Anthony Devolver and the store owner said he had to make it out to the charity for tax purposes. Then when he gets the check back, he sees that it's been altered to be to Devolver.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Haha, it's amazing how such openly weird and lovely people some how keep making it on to the US national political stage.

God drat does republican party just love voting for top tier trash people.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

dr_rat posted:

Haha, it's amazing how such openly weird and lovely people some how keep making it on to the US national political stage.

I think Long Island is also at least partially to blame.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
None of that can be real.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I look forward to finding out what kind of weird cons he’s been pulling since he got to DC since that’s obviously always been his intent to run for office. While the GOP is not kicking him out he’s busy building fake orphanages in Long Island or something.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

dr_rat posted:

People seem to be willing to accept at face value anything that confirms their opinions. Tell them what they want to hear, show them what they want to see and you’re most of the way there.

Doesn’t really matter how improbable it all is.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Trump broke another law last week by selling a gun at an auction while under indictment.

An open and shut case that will not actually happen for reasons, I'm sure.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Comstar posted:

Trump broke another law last week by selling a gun at an auction while under indictment.

An open and shut case that will not actually happen for reasons, I'm sure.
Please at least link the Meidas Touch 'story' you're referencing.

As is the site's habit, it's not quite what it says on the tin.

We begin with the technically true:

quote:

Trump, who is currently under federal indictment, is barred by federal law from shipping, transporting, or receiving firearms or ammunition. It is also a crime for anyone to sell or dispose of firearms to another person, like Trump who is prohibited from shipping, transporting, or receiving them.

Immediately followed by another graf that isn't a lie but builds on the same faulty premise as the rest of the piece:

quote:

Trump and anyone who sold him that weapon could potentially face prison time. Trump could also forfeit his pre-arranged bail. Since Trump's indictments are so well known, the person who purchased the weapon could also be legally liable for assisting Trump in breaking federal law.

Trump sure would be in trouble if he acquired the gun while under indictment. He also could sure be in trouble if he were actively selling the gun whether he owned it or not. Let's check the story:

quote:

The video clip posted by a Mar-a-Lago attendee shows a live auction for Trump's gun being conducted on premise. Another video from the same post shows Trump in attendance for the fundraiser.
Okay, so he was present at a fundraiser at his home, where "his" gun was sold. As is typical for Meidas, his presence is backed up by video, but the bit that matters is entirely unsupported.

quote:

If you look closely at the picture, the gun being auctioned off at Mar-a-Lago is stored in a gun case emblazoned with Trump's mugshot. Trump's mugshot was taken in August which could imply this particular firearm being auctioned off was acquired by Trump after his federal indictment in June.
It certainly could, or it could be that the firearm was owned by Trump long before and packaged in to a display case with the mugshot after. But then, even that hypothetical accepts what Meidas hasn't (and I'm clearly betting can't) established: The firearm was at any point acquired by Trump.

quote:

Trump took to the stage at least once during the event which was ran by Lara Trump and Don Jr.'s fiancé Kimberly Guilfoyle.
He was there! And it was run by his family!

quote:

Indicted Trump auctioning off a gun at Mar-a-Lago would constitute a firearm transaction and violate federal law and his bail agreements. Trump could be looking at penalties including jail time for this violation. This could likely lead to an investigation.

Also, an individual who theoretically sold him the gun and perhaps even the person who purchased it could face legal troubles. The Trump pattern of lawlessness continues.
There certainly is a pattern here, Meidas. The piece by JD Wolf (who apparently has no internet presence outside of Meidas and is using a tiny resolution screencap as an author photo that also appears in a variety of Twitter avatars) ends with the first and final reference to this being absolutely nothing:

quote:

Dave Aronberg, the State Attorney for Palm Beach County, Florida, remarks:

quote:

Trump will be in legal jeopardy :siren:if the gun actually was his:siren: and he knew it would be auctioned off. The fact that Trump attended the event is evidence that he knew of the sale. Trump will probably say, however, that the gun wasn’t really his, and that the event organizers just used his name and mugshot to raise money for the charity. These unanswered questions could lead to a criminal investigation, and prosecutors could ask the court to decide whether this violates Trump's pre-trial release. At present, there’s not enough to establish wrongdoing, but this could become yet another headache for the former President.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
OTOH, the photos of Trump actually holding a firearm in Joe Wilson's son's gun store are a little harder to deal with.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/palmetto-state-armory-a-trump-campaign-stop-has-outrageous-history

quote:

Cheung also posted a video of Trump at the firearm store. In it, the former president points to a firearm and says, “I want to buy one.” Cheung’s video and a separate post by Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) showed Trump posing with the gun.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4222060-trump-spokesperson-reverses-says-ex-president-didnt-buy-a-glock/

Is that a defensible trial case? Sure because he'll have umpteen witnesses ready to swear he never actually bought the gun. and he's Trump and would have a chud on the jury in South Carolina.

But I have literally had clients charged with felony gun possession charges on far, far, far less evidence than is available in this situation. There are photos of him holding the gun. It was in his possession, and that's a crime. His spokesperson stated he bought it (though that was retracted).

I've seen cases where people got charged with felony gun possession just for posting facebook pics holding obvious airsoft replicas. Those people were poor and black, though, and there's an unspoken rule in South Carolina that white people don't get charged with gun possession crimes.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 11, 2023

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Yes but we’re they rich?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yes but we’re they rich?

oh bless your heart

four years as a public defender never saw a white person charged with a gun possession crime

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

dr_rat posted:

The amazing part is that Santos probably didn't want to win. He's a scam artist, whose latest scam seemed to be doing political campaigns in hopeless districts and pocketing campaign money. Only the local democrats hosed up so bad he ended up winning and now has to manage in the congress.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Tuna-Fish posted:

The amazing part is that Santos probably didn't want to win. He's a scam artist, whose latest scam seemed to be doing political campaigns in hopeless districts and pocketing campaign money. Only the local democrats hosed up so bad he ended up winning and now has to manage in the congress.

Well now, who does that remind me of...

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tuna-Fish posted:

A true Springtime for Hitler gambit.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

STAC Goat posted:

I look forward to finding out what kind of weird cons he’s been pulling since he got to DC since that’s obviously always been his intent to run for office. While the GOP is not kicking him out he’s busy building fake orphanages in Long Island or something.

The House should be far more willing to expel people. Democrats voted against kicking Santos out because it would set a bad precedent. Like what? That poo poo that would get you fired anywhere else will get you removed from congress?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Lammasu posted:

The House should be far more willing to expel people. Democrats voted against kicking Santos out because it would set a bad precedent. Like what? That poo poo that would get you fired anywhere else will get you removed from congress?

It is quite annoying, but the principle is a reasonable one: Santos is not convicted of anything and the House ethics investigations into him have not concluded yet.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tuna-Fish posted:

Yeah. I live on Long Island and Santos is my congressman. :barf:

The guy who was the previous congressman decided he wanted to make a run for NY Gov and hosed it up badly, and the local dems had no one to run so they drafted some tool named Zimmerman. Per Wiki Zimmerman ran for the same seat and lost _40_ years ago. :wtf:

The local dems were probably expecting a 'whoever blue' to win so they didn't put a lot of time, money or effort into the race. Whoops.

Then again, the local dem party here on Long Island are loving stupid so....

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
My knowledge (and therefor impression) of Long Island is solely based on that episode of Seinfeld where George is dared by Susans' parents to go all the way out to the end of Long Island to show them his summer house that doesn't exist, so yeah I can believe that Long Island is a place where dumb people rule.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

BigglesSWE posted:

My knowledge (and therefor impression) of Long Island is solely based on that episode of Seinfeld where George is dared by Susans' parents to go all the way out to the end of Long Island to show them his summer house that doesn't exist, so yeah I can believe that Long Island is a place where dumb people rule.

oh god it's so much worse than you realize

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I had a gf from Long Island back in college and I stayed with her family one Christmas. The nearby library was nice and a quick train ride to NYC was convenient but almost everyone there including the girlfriend was deranged.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 43 hours!)

"Yeah I have a GF but she's from Long Island so you can't meet her."
"Ok, that's good of you to mention."

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

OTOH, the photos of Trump actually holding a firearm in Joe Wilson's son's gun store are a little harder to deal with.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/palmetto-state-armory-a-trump-campaign-stop-has-outrageous-history

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4222060-trump-spokesperson-reverses-says-ex-president-didnt-buy-a-glock/

Is that a defensible trial case? Sure because he'll have umpteen witnesses ready to swear he never actually bought the gun. and he's Trump and would have a chud on the jury in South Carolina.

But I have literally had clients charged with felony gun possession charges on far, far, far less evidence than is available in this situation. There are photos of him holding the gun. It was in his possession, and that's a crime. His spokesperson stated he bought it (though that was retracted).

I've seen cases where people got charged with felony gun possession just for posting facebook pics holding obvious airsoft replicas. Those people were poor and black, though, and there's an unspoken rule in South Carolina that white people don't get charged with gun possession crimes.

If he actually bought it then there should be a Federal NICS (I think that's the right acronym) record of the purchase. Actually I don't think that actually proves a purchase just that the background check was run but in like 99.9% of cases if the NICS check is run and passed then a purchase is made. Plus the gun store should have a record of the transaction.

However this happened months ago? And nothing has happened as far as I can tell so either the government doesn't care or doesn't think the purchase actually happened.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Charliegrs posted:

If he actually bought it then there should be a Federal NICS (I think that's the right acronym) record of the purchase. Actually I don't think that actually proves a purchase just that the background check was run but in like 99.9% of cases if the NICS check is run and passed then a purchase is made. Plus the gun store should have a record of the transaction.

However this happened months ago? And nothing has happened as far as I can tell so either the government doesn't care or doesn't think the purchase actually happened.

The store is run by congressman Joe Wilson's family. The guy who shouted "you lie" at Obama. The store owner's brother is the state Attorney General.

Everyone in that store would swear on a hot iron Bible that Trump never even set foot in the place if they thought they needed to. So yeah, unprosecutable. Obvious crime though they're just all morons and forgot that federal gun laws still apply to them (theoretically).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 13, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Charliegrs posted:

Not a lawyer so entirely possible I have the law-words wrong. I believe the point being made is that "possession" for people who have those restrictions against them includes things much less photographically verifiable than "Yes that is him, yes he is holding that gun" and that people who aren't getting the Emerald+ Club membership benefits in the legal system have received felonies for those things with much less proof.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Not a lawyer so entirely possible I have the law-words wrong. I believe the point being made is that "possession" for people who have those restrictions against them includes things much less photographically verifiable than "Yes that is him, yes he is holding that gun" and that people who aren't getting the Emerald+ Club membership benefits in the legal system have received felonies for those things with much less proof.

Yes, but the distinction between "charged" and "convicted" matters here. The real difference is that Trump *would* litigate this if he were charged, and would probably win, because he has a defense ("it was just a photo op officer") and cooperative witnesses. Plus the person in South Carolina who would charge him . . .oh wait that's the SC Attorney General. Who is the SC attorney General? Alan Wilson. Joe Wilson's shop. His brother literally owns the gun store where this happened. Any state level prosecutor filing charges would be setting their career on fire, and any federal prosecutor is already busy enough with what jack Smith has on the table already.

The average poor back defendant charged with gun possession because of photos on Facebook, by contrast, has a prior record already, will get charged in the first place because his brother doesn't own the store selling the gun . . . And then will probably get a plea offer for time served or short probation and take that rather than fight the charge and risk a trial and conviction and jail time.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 13, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Don Jr back in court this morning, here he explains to his own lawyer that he lives in a castle.

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1724095404654944370

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1724081711493886418

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OgNar posted:

Don Jr back in court this morning, here he explains to his own lawyer that he lives in a castle.

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1724095404654944370

LOL as prosecution points to this testimony and then the tax statements admitted into evidence and asks Jr. to reconcile these statements.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Don Jr's testimony so far has basically consisted of "Nothing was overvalued, here's how amazing everything ACTUALLY was."

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Retro42 posted:

Don Jr's testimony so far has basically consisted of "Nothing was overvalued, here's how amazing everything ACTUALLY was."

Yeah, it’s exactly what we expected. No new information. No new arguments that the law was interpreted incorrectly. Just rehashing already submitted testimony or evidence to waste time and confuse their base.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Also that's not how you use "umbrage" but it kinda works i.e. throwing shade.

:thunk:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Murgos posted:

LOL as prosecution points to this testimony and then the tax statements admitted into evidence and asks Jr. to reconcile these statements.

Yeah doesn't this whole case boil down to "you either defrauded the banks or defrauded the government on taxes"? So they start by saying "we assume your taxes are correct, tell us how you defrauded the banks", to which they're explaining diligently why their properties are worth so much money.

The next step is the rug pull of "oh our mistake, then you defrauded the government, go to jail".

Right?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Ahhh, Don Jr. said the quiet part out loud: The Trump Org's survival depends on them winning the 2024 election. Otherwise they will be sued into oblivion.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah doesn't this whole case boil down to "you either defrauded the banks or defrauded the government on taxes"? So they start by saying "we assume your taxes are correct, tell us how you defrauded the banks", to which they're explaining diligently why their properties are worth so much money.

The next step is the rug pull of "oh our mistake, then you defrauded the government, go to jail".

Right?

This is not a criminal action. It's a civil one.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Right?

The case has already been decided. This is for damages.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yeah the tax investigation is looming in the background and all the blurting of "actually our properties are worth more than we told the banks, way more" is admissible

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It would be a wild twist to the season if suddenly a federal tax fraud case appears all buttoned up with evidence and statements already provided by team Trump and since it involves absolutely nothing to do with the presidency or state secrets is over and done with by June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Two videos that have been floating around today.
Ellis says that Dan Scavino said Trump planned to simply refuse to leave the WH.
And Powell says that Trump had plans to seize voting machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFyBhTinz0g