Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Thermaltake Toughpower GX3 850W 80Plus Gold SLI/Crossfire Ready ATX 3.0 Power Supply; PCIe5 12VHPWR Connector Included; 5 Year Warranty; PS-TPD-0850NNFAGU-3 https://a.co/d/bccKTbF

Ended up buying this one. Someone let me know if I hosed up. The last one I bought was the 700w version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
A 5-year warranty on a PSU doesn't say "quality" to me.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Thermaltake Toughpower GX3 850W 80Plus Gold SLI/Crossfire Ready ATX 3.0 Power Supply; PCIe5 12VHPWR Connector Included; 5 Year Warranty; PS-TPD-0850NNFAGU-3 https://a.co/d/bccKTbF

Ended up buying this one. Someone let me know if I hosed up. The last one I bought was the 700w version.

Did you gently caress up? No, not really.
Is there a better option? Yes. Corsair RM850e, which has a 7 year warranty and after applying a $5 off coupon is only $10 more than what you paid for the Thermaltake PSU.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

This seems to cheap to be good, but it is at least a brand I've heard of before:
Mushkin Vortex-LX 2TB PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe 1.4 for $70.

Any good?

EDIT: Not a lot of reviews I could find, but based on the spec sheet, it doesn't have DRAM, which I assume is a dealbreaker.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 12, 2023

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

SpaceDrake posted:

Immediate ones:

- At this budget, there's really no reason not to go for the AMD Ryzen 7800X3D. It's just that much better than anything else you can possibly pick. This'll also influence your motherboard choice. It'll cost a bit more but the performance difference will absolutely matter.
- You can absolutely "drop down" to the Thermalright Peerless Assassin to save a few bucks. It's actually superior to your current choice.
- Remember that using a platter drive for modern games is increasingly foolish; because PS5 and XBX can stream assets off SSDs, that's now an expected feature in increasing numbers of modern games. Platters are still fine for archive drives, but being used for just archive stuff might influence the size you pick.
- The Fractal Pop Air is basically the same case as what you picked but a bit less expensive, but this is as much aesthetics as price, so.
- The Corsair 850 is a bit cheaper, but I know you also want to rep at least something EVGA.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gVMp34

Still keeps it around $2400. Board chosen to keep the four m.2s; you could save on that with a different board. A second WD Black 770, especially given the m.2s, might be a bit smarter than the platter drive.

Yeah the platter drive is because I'm a weirdo who archives all my music in flac and I've got a small-ish Criterion DVD collection that I'll probably rip. OS/apps run off the SSD, I've got a 1TB drive in my current build and I've never really been in danger of maxing it out because I usually only have a handful of games installed at a given time.

I've had EVGA PSU's on my last 2 builds that have all been OC'd, each one has lasted me 6+ years so just a bit of brand loyalty I suppose.

Makes sense on the CPU, I've got no issue dropping another $200 if it'll upgrade the performance significantly.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Grumpwagon posted:

This seems to cheap to be good, but it is at least a brand I've heard of before:
Mushkin Vortex-LX 2TB PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe 1.4 for $70.

Any good?

EDIT: Not a lot of reviews I could find, but based on the spec sheet, it doesn't have DRAM, which I assume is a dealbreaker.

DRAM isn't as much of a make-or-break thing with NVMe drives as it was with SATA drives - that's still a lower tier drive but I'm sure it'd be fine for a videogame archive or whatever, especially at that price (except it's already sold out :()

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Anyone have a recommendation for a basic productivity desktop PC build.

Use case is reviewing multiple large (GB+) PDFs and powerpoints, video, various other random productivity poo poo (basic Office stuff, Teams/other videoconferencing, etc.)

Would an i5-13400, 16gb ram, 650W power supply and whatever motherboard/case work? Would integrated graphics on that processor be sufficient for that use?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

McKracken posted:

Makes sense on the CPU, I've got no issue dropping another $200 if it'll upgrade the performance significantly.

It's only about a hundred plus ($285 vs. $399 or so), and if you keep an eye out over the next few weeks it's fairly likely there'll be at least some $50 off deals, making it even better. That's why I brought it up, you can keep the whole thing under $2500 and the 7800X3D is just a completely ridiculous part for games specifically.

Other than that, I can understand the brand loyalty (especially given EVGA's recent struggles) and the platter drive, so beyond that, you look pretty set. Just keep an eye out for ~those sweet deals~ and I think you're g2g!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

terrorist ambulance posted:

Use case is reviewing multiple large (GB+) PDFs and powerpoints, video, various other random productivity poo poo (basic Office stuff, Teams/other videoconferencing, etc.)

Would an i5-13400, 16gb ram, 650W power supply and whatever motherboard/case work? Would integrated graphics on that processor be sufficient for that use?

This actually might be the domain of mini PCs like Beelinks, which I'll admit I know nothing about (I've little personal interest in them and our usual customers don't typically employ them). Might be good to ask in the Intel and AMD threads about those, there's a few new models with chips from both either out or coming soon.

If you'd like a larger desktop, though, if there's no gaming or 3D rendering involved, even the 12/13400 is almost overkill; the Alder/Raptor Lake XX100s are now hyperthreaded quad-core jobs that can handle productivity stuff without issue. The integrated GFX chips in those can handle that workload, no problem. (Even Pentium Golds are HT deals, now, but they're only a little less expensive and are only dual-core still.)

Try this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/78DqbL

12100, inexpensive mATX motherboard, an m.2 SSD for booting etc. with some capacity to ensure you at least love yourself, 16 GB of decent little RAM modules (though at this speed, it's only $20 more for 32GB, and you did mention opening very large files), nice little case and an inexpensive PSU that still gives more juice than you'll ever need. Add a platter drive to taste. You can do it for under $400, no problem.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 12, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Integrated graphics works fine for everything except video games. Is there a reason you wouldn't just get a Dell, HP, or Lenovo for this? They tend to be cheaper than you can build yourself, and the shortcomings of them are mostly that they don't have space or power for a GPU.

If budget is important I'd buy a Zen 3 or Alder Lake or newer Mini-PC for doing that. Here's a configuration with an 8 core Zen 3 processor, 16GB of RAM, 1TB NVMe disk for just under $300 after coupon. There's dozens of sellers selling the same model, if you want more or less disk or RAM you can get it at about $50/TB.

https://a.co/d/fsJsE4F

If you want something from a big brand, just get a Dell micro PC, the config with 16GB of RAM and an i5-13500 runs about $600 new or you can get last year's model used on eBay for $200.

Edit: Honestly, the workload you mentioned will work great on a $120 Beelink with an Intel N100, but it sounds like you want to spend $200 or more.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
nah just want the cheapest solution that won't chug having a couple different things open. don't want to buy too much computer, but am also sick of (work-provided) computers not being up to handling more than like 1 task at a time

those are good suggestions thank you

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

nah just want the cheapest solution that won't chug having a couple different things open. don't want to buy too much computer, but am also sick of (work-provided) computers not being up to handling more than like 1 task at a time

those are good suggestions thank you

That ~$280 Beelink SER 5 with the Ryzen 7 5800H is the standout pick of the bunch for me for sure. It's faster than the desktop I built last year for about $700, which makes me grumpy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Some of those mini sytstems are crazy powerful. A 7840HS/7940HS equipped mini is a little beast.

Of course, you're no longer at <$300 but they're pretty neat.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'm googling around to see if they're too good to be true and they seem legit. That SER5 is selling for what the processor alone sold for originally, I realize it's not selling for that now but that's incredibly cheap for reasonably high quality components. There's desktops getting sold for twice the price with shittier compoments

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Yeah, mini pcs have completely bodied the idea of a low-end productivity tower - if you're not putting a dGPU or a bunch of drives into your system, something from Beelink or Minisforum is a no-brainer

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe
So, my 2017 build with a 7600k and 1070 is starting to get a little long in the tooth, and the PSU dying has got me thinking it's time to upgrade to something with a bit more grunt and ray-tracing capability.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£364.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£39.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (£149.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory (£107.38 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£119.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £859.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-12 17:03 GMT+0000

I'm looking at something like this so far, being kinda lazy and leaning heavily on some of the parts recommended by this thread, but would appreciate a bit of direction on a choice of graphics card.
As long as it can maintain a decent 60fps+ at 1440p for something current like Alan Wake 2 then i'll be a happy man, and i'm willing to push the boat out a little on price.
Currently considering something in the 4070 / 7800 range, but i've been out of the loop with GPUs since prices started getting mad and i'm not certain what represents good value atm - would appreciate any suggestions!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm googling around to see if they're too good to be true and they seem legit. That SER5 is selling for what the processor alone sold for originally, I realize it's not selling for that now but that's incredibly cheap for reasonably high quality components. There's desktops getting sold for twice the price with shittier compoments

They essentially just throw some laptop components in a box. I picked up a pretty well-built Asus Zenbook (all aluminum chassis, zero flex) with an i5-13500H and an 1800p 120hz OLED screen for $500 a few months ago, so I figure that if something like that can be profitable at that price point, then these companies are probably making pretty good money selling similar hardware for $300 in a cheap plastic shell with no screen or keyboard.

I agree with the others. Custom-built low-end productivity towers don't make much sense anymore, and $200 - $300 mini PCs will serve most people you'd otherwise build one of those for much better. The value proposition starts to get more questionable once you get the into the $600+ range though (those 7840 boxes are pricey).

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 12, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Sundayturks posted:

I'm looking at something like this so far, being kinda lazy and leaning heavily on some of the parts recommended by this thread, but would appreciate a bit of direction on a choice of graphics card.
As long as it can maintain a decent 60fps+ at 1440p for something current like Alan Wake 2 then i'll be a happy man, and i'm willing to push the boat out a little on price.
Currently considering something in the 4070 / 7800 range, but i've been out of the loop with GPUs since prices started getting mad and i'm not certain what represents good value atm - would appreciate any suggestions!

1440p at 60FPS+ on Alan Wake-tier stuff is where I might actually go with some folks saying to wait for the 4000 refresh early next year before making a final decision. We're on the cusp of what'll probably be some Pretty Sweet Deals, but the 4070 tier of NV hardware is about to get shaken up some (even if I'm skeptical of what the final prices will be). Right now, it's only really the 4080 that can do what you're looking for (unless you're fine compromising on settings a bit), but the reliably-leaked specs of the 4070 Ti Super come close and that card could be a decent bit cheaper. And the Supers could have some effect on Radeon base pricing.

Note that this is taking "something like Alan Wake 2" into account, by which I assume you mean all settings cranked including best-quality raytracing. If you're willing to turn some settings down, and in particular we're not talking about raytraced stuff, then basically anything above the basic 4060/RX 7600 tier can handle any raster-based game you throw at it in a way that resembles beef being thrown into a woodchipper, especially when paired with a Ryzen 7800X3D.

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe
That's a really helpful answer, thanks very much!
Think I'll pull the trigger on the rest of it and stick with the ol' 1070 for a while and wait on a solid deal in a couple weeks, or the 4070 refresh you've mentioned.

I'm not insistent on the best quality on all settings, but I'd like to crank it pretty high without too much worry for a few years at least.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Well, I'd wait a little bit on the rest of it and see what comes up on ~Black Friday weekend~. It's most pronounced in the States, ofc, but there might be some deals in the UK and elsewhere, too. And while the biggest-ticket items aren't likely to come down much (your high-end GPUs, etc) there might be some pretty nice savings on some of the other components. And every pound saved is a pound spendable elsewhere, and all that.

Granted, if you're struggling with a dead desktop that also changes the conversation a little.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm looking to slowly build out a computer up here in Canada but everytime I think of what to buy together I may as well just build the entire thing then wait on a video card. :lol: My 1070 is so long in the tooth. But christ prices for cards are nuts. I am looking at 4070 but will prob just save up for the supers when they come out.

There's not many motherboards like the NZXT N7 Z790 that have the plates that white things out, eh?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I'm thinking about upgrading my HTPC/NAS PC. It's got a PCI-X Highpoint raid card which I will have to replace, so I'm looking for a mATX MB with 2 PCIe slots since I'll probably put in one of those LSI 9240/9211 PCIe x8 cards.

I'm eyeing the Asrock B660M Pro RS which says in the manual:

I think that means the the GPU would still be at x16, but the raid card would drop to x4 which should be fine? Am I reading that right? Just don't want a MB that drops the GPU performance when another card is plugged in the second slot. Thanks.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yes you're reading that correctly. Note that PCIE1 will be the first full slot on the board. If you use a lower x16 slot it will probably drop to a slower speed.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I have a PC from 2011: i7 2600K, GTX 570, 8GB RAM. It doesn't work. I think it's the video card. I turn the PC on, no signal, and if you look inside the video card fan is just listlessly trying to spin without ever getting going. I was thinking about shelling out for a whole new PC, but that's expensive. I was wondering whether I should just buy a modern GPU now and upgrade the rest over time. What do you think?

EDIT: I should add that this PC would be, until I upgrade the rest, mainly for retail World of Warcraft at medium-high settings at 1080p.

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 13, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I have a PC from 2011: i7 2600K, GTX 570, 8GB RAM. It doesn't work. I think it's the video card. I turn the PC on, no signal, and if you look inside the video card fan is just listlessly trying to spin without ever getting going. I was thinking about shelling out for a whole new PC, but that's expensive. I was wondering whether I should just buy a modern GPU now and upgrade the rest over time. What do you think?

EDIT: I should add that this PC would be, until I upgrade the rest, mainly for retail World of Warcraft at medium-high settings at 1080p.

What's your budget for refreshing the rest? You don't have a lot to lose by tossing a $200 or less RX 6600 in there, or $250 or less RX 6600 XT or RX 7600. I'd start there and see. Both those price points show up right now on PCPartpicker.

I have and still game on an i5-2500K, I'm sure it's not awesome but it still works. I have newer computers but none of them have dGPUs.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

You could try removing the GPU and plugging the monitor into the motherboard (the 2600k has an iGPU), if the system boots fine then it was the videocard and if it doesn't then its something else.

Either way that system is on the absolute trailing edge of relevancy and support, so you should probably be eyeing some components for a total rebuild sooner rather than later. Even lower-end motherboards and CPUs are pretty formidable these days, though, so you might not need to break the bank to get everything fixed up (especially if you're fortunate enough to live near a Microcenter).

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
I have a GPU on my Christmas sales list. The question I have is if there's really any big difference in the manufacturers? I'm eyeballing this one here:

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-4070-gv-n4070wf3oc-12gd/p/N82E16814932611

But I see ones from Zotac and MSI so I figured I'd ask if I'd be ok with getting one of those instead

EDIT: like this one is a little bit cheaper
https://www.newegg.com/zotac-geforce-rtx-4070-zt-d40700e-10m/p/N82E16814500550

Holybat fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 13, 2023

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Holybat posted:

I have a GPU on my Christmas sales list. The question I have is if there's really any big difference in the manufacturers? I'm eyeballing this one here:

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-4070-gv-n4070wf3oc-12gd/p/N82E16814932611

But I see ones from Zotac and MSI so I figured I'd ask if I'd be ok with getting one of those instead

EDIT: like this one is a little bit cheaper
https://www.newegg.com/zotac-geforce-rtx-4070-zt-d40700e-10m/p/N82E16814500550

Get whichever fits your case and budget best. There's a negligible difference between partner models, especially when cooling ~200 watts

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Thanks for the replies.
1. Unfortunately my old motherboard, the Asus P8P67, doesn't have an HDMI or a DVI port, so I don't think I can plug my monitor in.
2. I'd spend around $1000 on a new build, without the case and the power supply, which I'd reuse from the 2011 PC.
3. Thanks for suggesting the $200 video cards. I'm seriously considering it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

2. I'd spend around $1000 on a new build, without the case and the power supply, which I'd reuse from the 2011 PC.

I'm the biggest tightwad who posts in this thread and I would not re-use a 12 year old power supply. Put that thing out to pasture.

I'm considering re-using my case from 2008 though!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That PSU is 12 years old and is likely on the very short list of needing to be replaced ASAP.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm the biggest tightwad who posts in this thread and I would not re-use a 12 year old power supply. Put that thing out to pasture.

I'm considering re-using my case from 2008 though!

Kibner posted:

That PSU is 12 years old and is likely on the very short list of needing to be replaced ASAP.
Really? Well, that's how little I know about this stuff. I thought it'd be fine. Thanks for letting me know.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Really? Well, that's how little I know about this stuff. I thought it'd be fine. Thanks for letting me know.

Do you know why most servers have had hot swap, redundant power supplies for decades? Because those things break all the time, and failure rate increases with age. Disks, power supplies, and fans fail.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

In general, look at the warranty on different parts. Once you start approaching that warranty limit, it can be a good idea to start thinking about a replacement in case it fails sooner than later. Or, at the very least, start looking for signs of it breaking down. SMART errors on storage drives, etc.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I think the "your power supply is a bomb you need to replace it before it burns your house down" stance is a little dramatic, but power supplies aren't terribly expensive and given that electronics do fail eventually and they're pretty much the one component where if it fails they can take the rest of your system with it, why risk it?

At least if you bought a decent one to start with. If you bought a cheap brand PSU in the first place (like aliexpress tier) then yeah assume it wants to end you and everything you love.

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008
I've currently got a 1080ti and a 2700x. What's my best upgrade path for gaming? I've got 2 144hz 1440p monitors and I'd like to see how nice I can make Cyberpunk or the new Ark game look without turning it into a slideshow. Otherwise my staple games are Overwatch and town building games like Farthest Frontier

Initially I was just going to close my eyes, put a 4070ti on the ol credit card and see where it got me but that increasingly seems like a mistake. I'm now wondering if I'd be better served with a 4070 or 7800xt and a new cpu, but which one? Or should I hold off on the cpu til I'm ready to switch to the new gen? Or hold off on the GPU for a price shakeup? I'm not in a hurry and kind of waiting for a decent deal to push me one way or the other but I'd like a clearer picture on what specifically I should be looking for a deal on. I can stretch to $1000 if it's worth it but I think I can do good without spending that much.

Tangentially related question - It doesn't really matter that I have a dual monitor setup, does it? I'm only gaming on one and the other is maybe playing a video or open to this dumb site.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

You really also might want to consider getting a new case unless you're especially attached to your old one - aside from performance affecting improvements like better airflow and fan mounts, cases have gotten so much nicer to work inside of over the past decade or so that the thought of going back to one of those old stamped steel finger slicers gives me the palpitations :sweatdrop:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wastid posted:

I've currently got a 1080ti and a 2700x. What's my best upgrade path for gaming? I've got 2 144hz 1440p monitors and I'd like to see how nice I can make Cyberpunk or the new Ark game look without turning it into a slideshow. Otherwise my staple games are Overwatch and town building games like Farthest Frontier

Initially I was just going to close my eyes, put a 4070ti on the ol credit card and see where it got me but that increasingly seems like a mistake. I'm now wondering if I'd be better served with a 4070 or 7800xt and a new cpu, but which one? Or should I hold off on the cpu til I'm ready to switch to the new gen? Or hold off on the GPU for a price shakeup? I'm not in a hurry and kind of waiting for a decent deal to push me one way or the other but I'd like a clearer picture on what specifically I should be looking for a deal on. I can stretch to $1000 if it's worth it but I think I can do good without spending that much.

Tangentially related question - It doesn't really matter that I have a dual monitor setup, does it? I'm only gaming on one and the other is maybe playing a video or open to this dumb site.

You can pick up a used 5600X for $100 on Reddit, that should be a drop-in upgrade with noticeable performance improvements for a minimal amount of money. After that I'd personally go for the 4070, DLSS is great

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Wastid posted:

If your board has a bios update that's compatible with a 5800X3D then it's your best bet - AM4 is a dead platform, but its crown jewel is not only still relevant but still near the top of a lot of charts. If you've got a budget of a thousand bucks then a 5800X3D and a tower cooler should run about four hundred, which would leave you just the right amount left for either that 4070 or 7800 XT. As to which one you'd want, they're both very comparable in performance with the 7800 XT being a little faster in raw raster performance while usually cheaper, and the 4070 having better raytracing and general feature support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Thanks for the replies.
1. Unfortunately my old motherboard, the Asus P8P67, doesn't have an HDMI or a DVI port, so I don't think I can plug my monitor in.
3. Thanks for suggesting the $200 video cards. I'm seriously considering it.

How close are you to a Micro Center?