Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Israel loves embarrassing itself on the world stage. It really is the Nigerian prince scam who but the dumbest people alive is buying any of this.

https://x.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1723084635230392417?s=20
https://x.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1723087870548668524?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

This really is them justifying that any death in Gaza is because they are aligned with Hamas in one way or another. Also quite literally taunting that they'll kill anyone on the ground in Gaza.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Testekill posted:

This really is them justifying that any death in Gaza is because they are aligned with Hamas in one way or another. Also quite literally taunting that they'll kill anyone on the ground in Gaza.

This doctor won't be briefed on our insane claims about a terror city built under the hospital.

edit: loving shameful

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 11, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Israel loves embarrassing itself on the world stage. It really is the Nigerian prince scam who but the dumbest people alive is buying any of this.

https://x.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1723084635230392417?s=20
https://x.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1723087870548668524?s=20

"We have urged [him] to speak with us about the undeniable subterranean city of terror underneath the Al-Shifa hospital, yet we receive no answer."

This is a crackpot line. I'm not even saying that as a judgement of what they're attempting (which is absolutely crackpot). This is a line you write for someone who is supposed to be insane in a movie. The Abominable Snowman! The Alien Crop Circles! The Subterranean City of Terror!

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The IDF's job is to kill people. It's the army.

This is like saying it's the job of soap to lather. It's not wrong, but it's sorely missing the point.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
Haven't seen this posted as yet. The Israeli MFA has revised its death toll estimate from 1,400 to 1,200. It's been suggested that the additional bodies are Hamas (or others) but too badly burned to be identifiable.

Now, I haven't given a huge amount of credence so far to Israel having killed large numbers of its own civilians but it strikes me that if it's counting around 200 dead Hamas fighters, then they won't have been from separate engagements but amongst civilians. If the Hamas fighters are also burned beyond recognition, then it's likely it's not from their own weapons. It suggests to me that significant numbers of Israeli civilians will have been killed by the Israeli armed forces.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/israel-revises-death-count-from-oct-7-hamas-onslaght-dropping-it-from-1400-to-1200/

Times of Israel posted:

Israel has revised the death toll of last month’s Hamas attacks to roughly 1,200, Foreign Ministry spokesman Lior Haiat tells The Times of Israel.

The revised figure, down from a previous toll of 1,400.

Haiat declines to elaborate on the record what led to the updated figure, but Hebrew media reporting on the lowered number from recent days attributed it to burned bodies being misidentified as those of Israeli civilians, rather than Palestinian terrorists.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I don't share, or understand, your idea that a massacre has to be premeditated. I googled some definitions - not to try to own you with the dictionary but because I hate to understand words wrong - and I couldn't find any definitions that had that element.

Wikipedia says "A massacre is an event of killing people who are not engaged in hostilities or are defenseless." That sounds true to me and it happened in many places in Israel on 10/7. It's happening all over Palestine right now.

I think words like “massacre”, “savage”, “brutal”, and “terrorism” are totally correct descriptions of any military operation where civilians are targeted or even killed with indifference. I think worrying about what words might trigger which politically convenient or inconvenient emotional responses should be left to politicians. It's our luxury as internet nobodies that we get to forego those worries and describe things as they are.

I went through and read your posts in this thread and I only see you use brutal, once, to describe Hamas actions. For Israel, you have only used killed or murdered. You are obsessed with the protection of Israeli’s property rights as well despite you “not being a Zionist”.

This is not meant to be a gotcha, just to show how use of words are often biased and emotionally charged.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Haven't seen this posted as yet. The Israeli MFA has revised its death toll estimate from 1,400 to 1,200.

I did post it last page but it was near the bottom.

The Times has posted supposed diagrams of the Hamas tunnels but the ones they show are too deep for the IDF to actually strike.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/11/10/world/europe/hamas-gaza-tunnels.html

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Mean Baby posted:

It’s a challenge to talk about 10/7 because the visual images we have are primarily of the rave versus the much wider series of events. They are also just a few snippets which (not you) have been used to claim there were mass rapes, babies beheaded, etc.

Even with the rave we don’t know most of the details. It also certainly wasn’t premeditated by Hamas.

All that is to say, I think using words like “Massacre”, “savage”, “brutal”, “terrorism” create an emotional false equivalency between Hamas and the Israeli government to delegitimize the larger guerrilla campaign against apartheid, ethnic cleansing, and genocide.

I understand what you're getting at more clearly now. Thanks for explaining.

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Haven't seen this posted as yet. The Israeli MFA has revised its death toll estimate from 1,400 to 1,200. It's been suggested that the additional bodies are Hamas (or others) but too badly burned to be identifiable.

Now, I haven't given a huge amount of credence so far to Israel having killed large numbers of its own civilians but it strikes me that if it's counting around 200 dead Hamas fighters, then they won't have been from separate engagements but amongst civilians. If the Hamas fighters are also burned beyond recognition, then it's likely it's not from their own weapons. It suggests to me that significant numbers of Israeli civilians will have been killed by the Israeli armed forces.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/israel-revises-death-count-from-oct-7-hamas-onslaght-dropping-it-from-1400-to-1200/

I could arguably understand a couple dozen, but 200ish, idk. Israeli media would pick up on this eventually, I'd think? Haaretz seems to pretty openly criticize IDF for lesser offenses, even if they still tow the line for the general themes.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Times has posted supposed diagrams of the Hamas tunnels but the ones they show are too deep for the IDF to actually strike.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/11/10/world/europe/hamas-gaza-tunnels.html

It seems like they're perfectly content with blowing the entrances and then occupying Gaza and waiting the tunnels out. I can't imagine this working entirely if they can't hit the deep tunnels though. They've got to have ample supplies for a motivated force against an invasion on home turf.

ummel fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 11, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Militants attacking kibbutzes reportedly set fire to a number of houses on Oct 7th, killing many civilians who'd taken refuge in fortified safe rooms.

Sure, badly burned militants are unlikely to have burned themselves to death. But even if Israel used weapons that badly burned Palestinian militants, that doesn't mean that everyone who died badly burned that day was killed by Israel.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

This feels a LOT like this same kind of energy:

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Z5UGE3g5M

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I saw a thing on instagram about helping people in gaza through giving them an esim for their phones so they have internet access. But this seems like a very bad idea if youre American? Wanted to make sure this isnt something that will result in a very quick visit from the CIA?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Mean Baby posted:

I went through and read your posts in this thread and I only see you use brutal, once, to describe Hamas actions. For Israel, you have only used killed or murdered. You are obsessed with the protection of Israeli’s property rights as well despite you “not being a Zionist”.

This is not meant to be a gotcha, just to show how use of words are often biased and emotionally charged.

I am absolutely not a Zionist and deeply resent your ridiculous insinuation otherwise. I am not "obsessed with the protection of Israel's property rights", that is a lie and it might be the most insulting lie that's ever been spread about me.

In this thread I have described the destruction of Gaza as: retaliatory mass murder, an urgent crisis, profoundly immoral, a horrifying atrocity, barbarism, a massacre, an abomination, and a war crime. I have compared the state of Palestine before 10/7 to that of the Warsaw Ghetto, compared its destruction now to the entire Holocaust, called it ethnic cleansing, called it a genocide, called it plain evil. I have called the Israeli state an apartheid state multiple times. I have said Palestinians are subjected to insane collective humiliation on explicitly ethnic lines.

Your choice to ignore all this and smear me in this way because I didn't use the word "brutal" is inexplicable.

EDIT: Especially because I did describe Israel's crimes as "brutal"! That exact word. Why you would lie about this I don't understand.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

No, even if you believe the absolute bullshit that civilians aren't intentionally targeted, both the Hamas attack on Israel and the Israeli attack on Gaza are full of brutal war crimes against civilians, and a pledge to keep doing it is a pledge to keep doing those crimes.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 11, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I saw a thing on instagram about helping people in gaza through giving them an esim for their phones so they have internet access. But this seems like a very bad idea if youre American? Wanted to make sure this isnt something that will result in a very quick visit from the CIA?

The Holy Land Foundation guys got what amount to life sentences for not doing anything illegal or anything the US government wasn't already doing so yeah I'd steer clear.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Holy Land Foundation guys got what amount to life sentences for not doing anything illegal or anything the US government wasn't already doing so yeah I'd steer clear.

Okay that was my fear. Basically someone in the NSA would be like “why is I Said Come In! spending money for something in gaza, a city of 2 million terrorists fighting our closes ally? Those military drones flying over WA sometimes dont function right, funny that! *presses a button*”

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Militants attacking kibbutzes reportedly set fire to a number of houses on Oct 7th, killing many civilians who'd taken refuge in fortified safe rooms.

Sure, badly burned militants are unlikely to have burned themselves to death. But even if Israel used weapons that badly burned Palestinian militants, that doesn't mean that everyone who died badly burned that day was killed by Israel.

The problem Israel will have had is that everyone disappeared from the area because they were either killed, kidnapped, or fled, and they'll have spent the last month trying to work out first who was in the area and then trying to track them down and establish where they are. That's a pretty huge problem.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
What's the general timeline since the the 31st? I was admitted for viral pneumonia on Halloween and was just released yesterday. I know about the bombing of a refugee camp but I was in and out of it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Neurolimal posted:

"We have urged [him] to speak with us about the undeniable subterranean city of terror underneath the Al-Shifa hospital, yet we receive no answer."

This is a crackpot line. I'm not even saying that as a judgement of what they're attempting (which is absolutely crackpot). This is a line you write for someone who is supposed to be insane in a movie. The Abominable Snowman! The Alien Crop Circles! The Subterranean City of Terror!

It's absolutely a location where Flash Gordon tangled with Ming the Merciless or Dan Dare fought the Mekon.

HonorableTB posted:

This feels a LOT like this same kind of energy:

I get it, but Hamas have had almost twenty years to excavate and construct these tunnels, and their ability to get around IDF troops even after massive bombardment suggests the tunnels are pretty extensive and pretty deep. The IDF is clearly pretty reluctant to go down there and do it in person and honestly I wouldn't exactly be eager to do it either, you'd need a company of space marines to do it without taking massive casualties. Taking the surface and trying to wait them out may not be that effective either though, if guys can pop out of hidden tunnels at any time it's still going to risk serious losses.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The IDF is sieging Al Shifa Hospital.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

I said come in! posted:

Unless you can run a background check on whoever it is and somehow one that would make the entire doj, FBI, cia, etc. happy that this person isn't remotely connected to Hamas (hint: there's no way to do that) you'd be getting in deep poo poo as an American or any other country that labels Hamas as a terrorist organization.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The IDF is sieging Al Shifa Hospital.

Yes, it's horrible, newborns in incubators are dying due to no electricity and everyone in intensive care.

It's a genocide.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm 'looking forward to' seeing Israel's excuse for sniping every refugee and hospital staffer that leaves the Al-Shifa hospital. I'm sure it will be very compelling. It will not at all be infuriating when, after a day wherein forty premature babies died overnight in their incubators, Biden says that Israel is doing everything in their power to avoid civilian casualties.

It's so easy to assume that the people you hate are pure evil, acting only with malice, without any cause or reason but to be as vile as humanly possible, but I genuinely cannot fathom why they are sieging a hospital, beyond a desperate push to attempt to capture it, find something approximating a tunnel, and justify the very slaughter used to get there.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 11, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, we know they're going to find an underground bunker complex.

No one who matters will care that it's there because they built it before the occupation.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
“We killed all the babies on incubators a few days ago but we also found some munitions.” is how it will go.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Gaza hospitals under bombardment as medical system reaches point of ‘no return’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/11/11/israel-hamas-war-gaza-palestine-live/

quote:

As Israeli tanks encircled hospitals in Gaza City, bombardment and fighting has raged around al-Shifa Hospital, the city’s largest, with medical workers unable to leave. Fuel shortages left the overcrowded hospital without power, killing a premature baby and four patients in the intensive care unit, Gaza health officials said Saturday. The International Committee of the Red Cross warned earlier that the medical system in the besieged Palestinian enclave had reached a “point of no return.” Doctors Without Borders said they could not reach staff at al-Shifa, where thousands of displaced people have been sheltering. Amid an Israeli advance against Hamas, several hospitals in Gaza City have come under fire or were overtaken by Israeli forces on Friday, forcing their evacuation, according to videos verified by The Washington Post.

Israel alleges Hamas militants use the al-Shifa facility as a center for its operations, a charge that doctors and foreign medics who have worked at the hospital deny. Doctors Without Borders said overnight that “attacks against al-Shifa Hospital have dramatically intensified.”

The fighting has forced more than 120,000 people to flee south by foot from northern Gaza, according to the U.N. humanitarian affairs agency. The trek is an hours-long journey along a road lined with tanks and decaying bodies, Gaza residents who have made it told The Post.

As Israel comes under growing scrutiny over civilian casualties, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said “far too many” Palestinians have been killed. French President Emmanuel Macron called for a cease-fire, saying he hoped other leaders would join him and urging Israel to “stop this bombing,” while Israel responded that world leaders should instead “be condemning Hamas.”

At least 11,078 people in Gaza have been killed, and 27,490 have been wounded, according to the Gaza Health Ministry. At least 1,200 people were killed in Israel in the Oct. 7 attack, a downward revision from previous figures by Israel’s Foreign Ministry; at least 5,400 people had been injured, according to Israeli officials.

This is what I'd feared would happen after the hospitals were seiged. There's absolutely no way to evacuate an ICU in these conditions.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

you'd think after a month of bombing them, the IDF would have some conclusive evidence Hamas was operating out of these hospitals it's now besieging.

seems pretty clear they are targeting the hospitals as part of a greater strategy of population transfer imo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Isaac Chotiner got a West Bank settler leader for an interview.

quote:

What are the borders of that Jewish nation?

The borders of the homeland of the Jews are the Euphrates in the east and the Nile in the southwest. [This would include the territory of multiple Middle Eastern countries as well as the territory that Israel controls today.]

In a lot of these places where settlements have been developed, from 1967 to the present day, there have been Palestinian communities and Palestinian families. What is your feeling about where these people should go?

It’s the opposite. None of the communities in Judea and Samaria are founded on an Arab place or property, and whoever says this is a liar. I wonder why you said it. Why did you say that, since you have no idea about the real facts of history? That’s not true. The opposite is true. Who got this idea into your mind?

Palestinian communities have been removed from their land, kicked off their land by—

No, you never read things like that. No. There are no pictures. [According to a report by Btselem, an Israeli human-rights group, parts of Kedumim, where Weiss lives, were built on private Palestinian land; in 2006, Peace Now found that privately owned Palestinian land comprised nearly forty per cent of the territory of West Bank settlements and outposts.]

When you say that the government’s been better, but it hasn’t realized your dreams, what are those dreams?

Two million Jews in Judea and Samaria. More settlements, more farms, bigger cities.

When you say that you want more Jews in the West Bank, is your idea that the Palestinians there and the Jews will live side by side as friends, or that—

If they accept our sovereignty, they can live here.

So they should accept the sovereign power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean having rights. It just means accepting the sovereign power.

Right. No, I’m saying specifically that they are not going to have the right to vote for the Knesset. No, no, no.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/the-extreme-ambitions-of-west-bank-settlers

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 11, 2023

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Why do people agree to be interviewed by him? Every single one ends up looking like an incredible moron

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Why do people agree to be interviewed by him? Every single one ends up looking like an incredible moron

I think it's important to have these sort of unhinged interviews take place, as it gives us a look at how evil Israel is. It helps bring pressure on world powers to stop Israel at any cost.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

I think this interview didn't/couldn't go that way because there was nothing to expose. She's already an open racist who will say without hesitation that Palestinians children's lives matter less, that Palestinians shouldn't be able to vote, that they should go to Egypt or Turkey while Jews settle Gaza. And who bases all this on the pretense of a religious narrative.

She's not ashamed of these ideas, they're not dark implications of her worldview that need someone like Chotiner to be exposed and underlined. They're her public platform, she wants these ideas widely disseminated.

Unlike the typical Chotiner-interview-victim, she didn't say anything in that interview that she wouldn't want on a billboard next to her face. Because she has accepted what she really believes and why.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

She does not have the requisite intellect or soul to realize how badly she looks. Her life is devoted to an evil cause.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Spoke Lee posted:

What's the general timeline since the the 31st? I was admitted for viral pneumonia on Halloween and was just released yesterday. I know about the bombing of a refugee camp but I was in and out of it.

A week or two ago, IDF ground forces completely surrounded Gaza City, cutting it off from the rest of the Gaza Strip and methodically cutting or blocking as many tunnels as they could find leading out of Gaza City. Over the past few days, Israeli troops seem to be slowly pushing into Gaza City, but Gaza internet access has been cut off, so reports are sporadic.

Aside from that, not much has changed. Israel has continued to intensively bomb the north half of the Gaza Strip and sporadically bomb the south half, while loudly urging civilians to flee south. There's been a few more explosions at or near hospitals, which Israel either claims were targeted at groups of militants or blames on errant Palestinian rockets. A few hundred foreign citizens have been allowed to leave through the Rafah Crossing.

Neurolimal posted:

I'm 'looking forward to' seeing Israel's excuse for sniping every refugee and hospital staffer that leaves the Al-Shifa hospital. I'm sure it will be very compelling. It will not at all be infuriating when, after a day wherein forty premature babies died overnight in their incubators, Biden says that Israel is doing everything in their power to avoid civilian casualties.

It's so easy to assume that the people you hate are pure evil, acting only with malice, without any cause or reason but to be as vile as humanly possible, but I genuinely cannot fathom why they are sieging a hospital, beyond a desperate push to attempt to capture it, find something approximating a tunnel, and justify the very slaughter used to get there.

The last time there were reports that people leaving Al-Shifa were being shot at, Israel claimed Hamas were shooting at the civilians to prevent their human shields from fleeing. No reason not to keep using that excuse, probably. It's not like anyone's in any position to get hard proof of just where the gunfire's coming from.

This is the stuff she honestly believes, and she's not ashamed of anything she said there. He didn't drag any deep secrets out of her. The settler-extremist leaders are very open and explicit about their stance, and they think any politicians who get squeamish about that are damnable cowards who are so terrified of foreign countries that they're compromising on Israel's divine right awarded by God himself.

She lives basically next door to Bezalel Smotrich, who's openly stated that Jews shouldn't sell homes to Arabs, that hospital maternity wards should be racially segregated, that "there is no such thing as a Palestinian people", that the far-right activist who assassinated Yitzhak Rabin was brainwashed into doing it, that Palestinian villages like Huwara should be "wiped out", that Israel should run according to religious law rather than civil law, that a gay rights parade is an "abomination" and a "beast parade", and that Reform Judaism is a fake religion. If Bezalel Smotrich sounds like a vaguely familiar name, that's because he is currently the Minister of Finance in the Netanyahu government.

These people are not ashamed of saying this poo poo and they don't feel like there's any reason to hide it. They quite frankly do not give a single gently caress about their public appearance or international opinion. The religious-Zionist settlers quite honestly believe that they are truly entitled to dominion over all of their Greater Israel dreams, and that anyone who opposes that is an enemy in league with the Arabs to deny the Jewish people their rights.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I would love to pit those people against the insane evangelical chuds in the US who believe the same things but for themselves above all.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The evacuation of brazilians at Gaza was cancelled at the last moment.

https://twitter.com/IsraelinBrazil/status/1723012474763391410

Israel claims that the transfer was blocked by Hamas, which is odd since other foreigners have been evacatuated without issue in the interval, and the Rafah crossing is managed by Egypt and the IDF, not Hamas.

On the home front, the two suspected Hezbollah agents that Israel crowed about both came forward and denied any involvement (earlier reports had them confessing). The nationalities are also not what the first bits of news indicated (Syrian and Lebanese, not Iranian). So far, it has been alleged that the two met with known members of Hezbollah, but no details of specific plots have been revealed so far.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

guidoanselmi posted:

Gaza is operating as efficiently as a Nazi extermination camp.

Gaza is about 10,000 month. I can't speak to the accuracy of the chart as I believe the average murder rate at Auschwitz was ~20,000/month per wikipedia. Does anyone ITT know better sources than those two I can research?

During most of its operation, Auschwitz was not a dedicated killing center. When the Auschwitz II/Birkenau killing center really got going during the slaughter of 1944/early '45, they were killing around 10,000 people per day. Notably, this graph does not show either '44 or '45.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
it's loving beyond me how israel is literally killing infants and, outside of few leftist infobubbles, world still believe they are the good guys here.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Szarrukin posted:

it's loving beyond me how israel is literally killing infants and, outside of few leftist infobubbles, world still believe they are the good guys here.

I think quite a lot of people in the world are upset about it beyond “a few leftist infobubbles.” Even in the US, there seems to be increasing disapproval of Israeli war crimes, although still probably not a majority.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

During most of its operation, Auschwitz was not a dedicated killing center. When the Auschwitz II/Birkenau killing center really got going during the slaughter of 1944/early '45, they were killing around 10,000 people per day. Notably, this graph does not show either '44 or '45.

The gas chambers ceased operation towards the end of 1944 and were destroyed in January 1945 (the camp was liberated on the 27th) though your general point stands as the summer of 1944 was when the gassings were at their highest rate.

This would be funny if it wasn't justifying the most horrific acts imaginable:

https://x.com/Israel/status/1723389262794478007?s=20

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 11, 2023

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sephyr posted:

Not likely. Israel pols actually did some legwork in becoming more 'independent' back in 2010, after Obama very softly said settlements were not cool (while keeping the money and UN vetos flowing).

The answer they got to was basically: They can't.

US support is what keeps EU support going, and without those and the 4 billion a year worth of weapons, they'll be facing a big drop in quality of life, international litigation, and basically turn into Iran-lite.

No wonder that they then literally had their PM travel to the US a few years later to address Congress and poo poo all over the party that -might- tell them to cool things down once in a blue moon.

Honest question: What does the USA get out of giving money to Israel?

Like, there's got to be a reason billions are going to fund weapons for genocide instead of being used for healthcare for citizens and I'd like to know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Honest question: What does the USA get out of giving money to Israel?

Like, there's got to be a reason billions are going to fund weapons for genocide instead of being used for healthcare for citizens and I'd like to know why.

"An ally in the middle east", nominally.