Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

enemies surround me, pebble walls closing in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Why would British people want to repel teenagers as opposed to, you know, perving on them and publishing creepshots to their major periodicals?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I find pebbled walls rather dashing

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Brawnfire posted:

Love runnin' my fingers over them. A panoply of textures

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Panfilo posted:

Why would British people want to repel teenagers as opposed to, you know, perving on them and publishing creepshots to their major periodicals?

I think they want to do both, for the same reason. Agency and control are at the root. You prevent kids from doing what they want because you don't want them exercising their own agency, and you coerce and manipulate them into doing what you want to demonstrate your own power to control.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Do these people not get subtext?
https://twitter.com/LeftistApostate/status/1723330438062571852?t=fN9hrH5ZZDKjZYfw-HC7Dg&s=19

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Oh, so they actually do want a nanny state making sure everybody lives easy but complacent lives

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm trying to parse what he means. Woke people use satire to make the opposite point they're trying to make? He thinks Barbie was the villain of the film and says he's going to show his son the movie to teach him... How fictional women act? I don't get it :psyduck:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I mean, the dude thinks Starship Troopers functions as an endorsement of the society Starship troopers portrays. So Paul Verhoeven is too loving subtle for them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Panfilo posted:

I'm trying to parse what he means. Woke people use satire to make the opposite point they're trying to make? He thinks Barbie was the villain of the film and says he's going to show his son the movie to teach him... How fictional women act? I don't get it :psyduck:

I guess this is why we're just too dumb actually and these people are really our intellectual betters

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

I mean, the dude thinks Starship Troopers functions as an endorsement of the society Starship troopers portrays. So Paul Verhoeven is too loving subtle for them.

This is a fairly well known complaint/issue? Starship Troopers doesn't really actively say "This is bad and dumb."

American History X also almost has the same problem. It never really says why racist ideology is bad, and just presents the racist values with no argument against the values themselves. But at least it shows the racists as turds, unlike Starship Troopers fascists who are constantly portrayed as cool and good.

If you don't do anything to actually shoot down what your satirizing, you can't be too surprised when some people take away the wrong message. Especially people who are predisposed to see fascists as cool and good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The General posted:

This is a fairly well known complaint/issue? Starship Troopers doesn't really actively say "This is bad and dumb."

American History X also almost has the same problem. It never really says why racist ideology is bad, and just presents the racist values with no argument against the values themselves. But at least it shows the racists as turds, unlike Starship Troopers fascists who are constantly portrayed as cool and good.

If you don't do anything to actually shoot down what your satirizing, you can't be too surprised when some people take away the wrong message. Especially people who are predisposed to see fascists as cool and good.

Ehh, I don't think all media needs to be made for the dumbest person in the room. Like, if you watch a movie where everyone dresses like a Nazi and spouts Nazi ideology, but no one actually says "This is bad" while staring directly at the camera, I kinda think that's on the viewer not the filmmaker.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm not saying it has to be made for the dumbest person in the room, I'm just saying you can't be too surprised when somebody takes away the message they want to see when you let them do that.

I think it was a Steve Shives video that cited some research saying conservatives liked Colbert Report because they believed he was saying things they agreed with in a funny way. Whereas liberals found it funny because of the absurdity of it all, which was the intended method of enjoyment.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What gets me about the annual Woke Disney outrage is how loving nothing Disney actually is about representation.

Oh holy gently caress, Gaston’s comedy sidekick has a boyfriend! Two ladies kissed in the background of the star war no one liked! They’re replacing the ride based on their most notoriously racist film! Society is collapsing!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Air Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/LeftistApostate/status/1723345494271819923

https://twitter.com/LeftistApostate/status/1723345234052993447

Honestly I don't know what to think of this guy, other than he definitely is an idiot on social media.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The villain literally takes away people's memory of wishes they want granted, and thus any ability to pursue it on their own without magic, and the comments are full of people agreeing that he's right. I don't even know if it's media illiteracy at this point or just naked yearning for fascism

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

At least from that clip I can't work out what he's supposed to be objectively correct about. How are they interpreting it as a good thing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

The villain literally takes away people's memory of wishes they want granted, and thus any ability to pursue it on their own without magic, and the comments are full of people agreeing that he's right. I don't even know if it's media illiteracy at this point or just naked yearning for fascism

Yeah, it's like if I wanted to own a bakery I would absolutely go to the dude who could give me a bakery with no effort, but if that man said no I might just work harder to make more money so I could buy a bakery on my own. (I would do zero of these things because owning a bakery is way more work than I want).

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The General posted:

Did you miss the scenes where the fascists go to fight the bugs and all die in horrible, squirty agony? Was that cool and good op

Maybe the media not understander was you all along

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I think you are all mistaking far-right virtue signally that "actually I agree with the villain because I'm so sick and twisted" as an actual failure of media and not another example of serial clout chasing liars lying to boost their brand and reinforce their stupid persecution complexes.

As hard as it is for liberals to understand, the marketplace of ideas is not a perfect means of distinguishing what people actually believe or how satire is or isn't working.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Did you miss the scenes where the fascists go to fight the bugs and all die in horrible, squirty agony? Was that cool and good op

I've never seen a conservative say that dying in a war is the bravest and most important thing you can do for your country. Nope, never seen a conservative say that before.

Edit: Also where did I say that I believe Starship Troopers is a piece of fascist propaganda? I merely said that it's a known thing about the movie.

Edit 2: Wait, didn't you recently go "You have to respect content warnings!!" immediately before or after you said "drat, I wish SA was still full of assholes who stalked and harrassed people like the good ol' days!"

The General has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Nov 11, 2023

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

At least from that clip I can't work out what he's supposed to be objectively correct about. How are they interpreting it as a good thing?

They don’t let silly things like ‘interpretation’ slow them down, they just decide which things support them and which things to get mad about.

It’s just purely vibes-based living

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The General posted:

I'm not saying it has to be made for the dumbest person in the room, I'm just saying you can't be too surprised when somebody takes away the message they want to see when you let them do that.

I think it was a Steve Shives video that cited some research saying conservatives liked Colbert Report because they believed he was saying things they agreed with in a funny way. Whereas liberals found it funny because of the absurdity of it all, which was the intended method of enjoyment.

Yeah, this one from a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_71QzBeaRg

Steve is probably not an IOSM but he can get a bit preachy.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

They don’t let silly things like ‘interpretation’ slow them down, they just decide which things support them and which things to get mad about.

It’s just purely vibes-based living

Yeah, and like tokin said, it's also dishonest. They have a narrative of society villifying straight white cis dudes, so they're latching on to conventionally attractive blonde haired blue eyed antagonists and saying "see?"

Coolness Averted has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Nov 11, 2023

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kit Walker posted:

It's the latter. The masks have been off for years.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

tokin opposition posted:

i mean yes

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Regy Rusty posted:

"Sometimes people want things that wouldn't be good for them and/or society" would be my guess.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Runcible Cat posted:

"Sometimes people want things that wouldn't be good for them and/or society" would be my guess.

And even then the protagonist says “leave that to us to worry about”

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Plus it's an older man telling a younger woman she's too young and stupid to know what's good for her.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
you'd think starship troopers would be too woke for them, what with it treating women equally and even giving them positions of power

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Brawnfire posted:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

you'd think starship troopers would be too woke for them, what with it treating women equally and even giving them positions of power

Yeah but the movie had tits so you can't argue against that for them.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What gets me about the annual Woke Disney outrage is how loving nothing Disney actually is about representation.

Oh holy gently caress, Gaston’s comedy sidekick has a boyfriend! Two ladies kissed in the background of the star war no one liked! They’re replacing the ride based on their most notoriously racist film! Society is collapsing!

In hindsight it's obvious that this would never go anywhere interesting when they didn't have the balls to make Le Fou gay for Gaston

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I find the laser eyes one ironic, considering that one NFT event in Hong Kong that used UV-C light that blinded a bunch of people there.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is the art just generated by an AI? It looks excessively lazy. Like, it looks so lazily done that it looks like it would take effort to produce art that looked that lazy.

Oh they're bored apes, maybe it's meant to look like nobody is trying?

\/\/ e: oh :( \/\/

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Nov 11, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It's a joke mr teen crypto @elonconomy is making a funny

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

credburn posted:

Is the art just generated by an AI? It looks excessively lazy. Like, it looks so lazily done that it looks like it would take effort to produce art that looked that lazy.

Oh they're bored apes, maybe it's meant to look like nobody is trying?

Not only does the art look lazy and AI generated, it also manages to look incredibly sleazy and unpleasant. It looks like art made for perverts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bored apes are "AI" in the very loose sense that they're procedurally generated by shuffling together different layers at random, but the art for those layers was drawn by a human

the people still trying to make NFTs happen are absolutely churning them out wholesale with AI generators now though