Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

in 1997 i was 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

STONE COLD 64 posted:

in 1997 i was 10

So you’re like 23 now, right?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

flavor.flv posted:

I don't know if I'd call that "a few years ago", that computer is older than many posters in this very forum

Not anyone in this thread, obviously, but in the forums at large

That was the basis of the joke is that it was forever ago and yet us old people think of it as not very long ago.
It actually was pretty impressive how 2 1/2 years later I built an Athlon system that was like 900mhz. That thing was a beast and ran Rastan like a pro.

I don’t suppose anyone has heard any new rumbling about the shipping dates of the analogue duo beyond “before the end of the year”

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So if I also want GameCube ps2 games deck and to use on the tv the deck is way better than the 3 + right? Big price difference, but between handheld and the fact that it can plug into a keyboard and mouse and play Diablo 4 and age of empires… I’m tempted by the deck.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I wanted a dedicated frontend for Emulators on my phone that I can launch whenever I want would Retroarch be my best bet? I have a bunch of free space on my phone and a Razer Kishi so I am starting to think maybe I should just put everything on my phone instead.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Retroarch is the least fiddling option. Otherwise you can something like Dig launcher and a medley of emulators.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LionArcher posted:

So if I also want GameCube ps2 games deck and to use on the tv the deck is way better than the 3 + right? Big price difference, but between handheld and the fact that it can plug into a keyboard and mouse and play Diablo 4 and age of empires… I’m tempted by the deck.

Especially if you get one of the newly discounted models.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

coconono posted:

Retroarch is the least fiddling option. Otherwise you can something like Dig launcher and a medley of emulators.

Thanks! I stumbled on Daijisho which seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

explosivo posted:

Thanks! I stumbled on Daijisho which seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

I was going to recommend Daijisho (it’s great!) but just to be aware, it’s just a launcher front end. You still need emulators separately (e.g. RetroArch is easiest to get most systems in one).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Retroarch is my first emulation stop. It Just Works(most of the time). The cores are usually a few versions behind the standalone versions of the emulators so sometimes they don't have the features(the PS2 core doesn't support cheat searching yet) but for older systems(SNES, Sega, etc) that's not really an issue since those emulators aren't rolling out new features.

Systems I've reliably got working under retroarch:
NES
SNES
Genesis/32x/CD
GB/GBC/GBA
Turbografx16/CD
Saturn
Dreamcast
Gamecube
PSX
PSP (you need to download the psp pack in the retroarch downloader to the get the fonts to display correctly)

I think I got n64 going but the controller is hard for me to map to a normal controller.

The most you need to do is go over to archive.org and grab the retroarch bios pack

If there's a specific system/core and retroarch's cores don't play nice, I'll go the specific emulator.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

STONE COLD 64 posted:

in 1997 i was 10
I turned 14 and entered high school that year.

LionArcher posted:

The Steam Deck is a great emulation box that will emulate basically everything as well as a desktop. The trade-offs being price and less portability. If you're just planning on emulating on it, a 64GB Deck with a nice SD card is a solid investment, you won't need to put much on the internal drive, but those are now a "while supplies last" deal since the announcement of the OLED Decks.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So I pre-ordered the Arc as it's basically a Saturn pad and that's my dream! I've never used one of these before (I got the Linux only version), and I got one with an sd card. Is it as simple as dropping roms into the card that I think should already be set up? I really care about Saturn emulation (I'm sure Mega Drive is no problem), is there anything I need to know? Hints and tips? I'm super excited to play Shining the Holy Ark on this thing handheld!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Alan_Shore posted:

So I pre-ordered the Arc as it's basically a Saturn pad and that's my dream! I've never used one of these before (I got the Linux only version), and I got one with an sd card. Is it as simple as dropping roms into the card that I think should already be set up? I really care about Saturn emulation (I'm sure Mega Drive is no problem), is there anything I need to know? Hints and tips? I'm super excited to play Shining the Holy Ark on this thing handheld!

Go and watch In Russ We Trust's video on it to get more of an idea of that SD card and performance (its not going to be 100% on Saturn games).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvoTk8Og5ag

For the software it's running Batocera, and Russ has a guide on his website on that that you should look through but at its core it should be as simple as putting roms in corresponding folders.
https://retrogamecorps.com/2023/05/26/transform-any-pc-into-a-retro-gaming-console-batocera-guide/

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That sounds perfect, thanks!

It's a shame it's not 100% Saturn perfection, but if I stick to less demanding games I'm hoping I'll be fine...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Odd niche question, since I'm not sure if it's the console, the emulator, or what-- I'm using an RG353M with retroarch and the mGBA core, and the game I'm playing keeps losing/corrupting the in-game saves. I've been state-saving so it's not like a huge deal, but there also doesn't seem to be any specific rhyme or reason to it-- sometimes I'll check and the save is there, sometimes it's not, and sometimes it's "there but the game is aware that it's actually corrupted".

I can't tell if it's something inherent to GBA emulation weirdness, the core, or something with the RG353's sleep functionality if it's slept too soon after saving or something. Anyone else happen to have tripped across this?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I haven't but I've also never used/trusted sleep on these things. I have it setup where it does a new save state when I quit retroarch and automatically loads it when I start the game and that's always worked well for me. Is the game Pokemon or something else that uses the RTC? I can easily see that causing corrupted saves. I think it's a common issue on the analogue pockets when using sleep at the moment.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Also throw in the retroarch bios pack. Even for stuff that doesn’t normally require BIOS to run it seems to make the cores more stable.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For devices without the power for fancy shaders, how do you usually choose to display pixel graphics? Integer scaling? With or without bilnear filtering?

Plus do you account for the image stretching of older consoles?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 14, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Integer 4 Lyfe, 90% of the time it's going to fit to the screen or only be slightly off anyway.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Rinkles posted:

For devices without the power for fancy shaders, how do you usually choose to display pixel graphics? Integer scaling? With or without bilnear filtering?

integer scaling when possible, otherwise just max size with the proper aspect ratio. note that shaders don't have a uniform performance cost. try crt-pi or zfast for performant scanlines. crt-pi can be quite pretty, especially if you tweak it a little bit

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What's the current best handheld in the $50-$60 range? Somewhere in the size range of a phone. This will be a gift for a friend primarily playing any MegaMan. Thanks!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I’d probably say the miyoo mini plus. If it had 6 face buttons to play street fighter it would be amazing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

deong posted:

What's the current best handheld in the $50-$60 range? Somewhere in the size range of a phone. This will be a gift for a friend primarily playing any MegaMan. Thanks!

I just got this for $53 and it’s pretty drat solid imo

https://youtu.be/myeSuR5mNCc?si=JQhBvRdDcKlf9Id-

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

explosivo posted:

If I wanted a dedicated frontend for Emulators on my phone that I can launch whenever I want would Retroarch be my best bet? I have a bunch of free space on my phone and a Razer Kishi so I am starting to think maybe I should just put everything on my phone instead.
For your phone you can also use Lemuroid

RetroArch and Lemuroid will be fine for the older systems but the newer or more specialized they are, the more useful a standalone Android emulator will be, for either performance or features or customizability. For example, Drastic for Nintendo DS is a paid emulator but it runs better than any of the retroarch cores, has full touchscreen support, DSi support, and the onscreen control customizability is unsurpassed. And Duckstation will make PS1 games look great.

Rinkles posted:

Whichever one it is that integer scales it by exact pixels first, then bilinear scales it down. Sometimes called sharp bilinear or 2x bilinear or 3x bilinear or something similar. If that's not an option then integer is fine unless the borders left over are too large, in which case bilinear is fine. Nearest neighbor is just nasty.

As for the aspect ratio, if it was made to display on a CRT then it should be 4:3 (unless it had borders). Unless you have a weird square screen like the RGB30, in which case using the skinnier native pixels will give you a bigger display for some systems.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 14, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

deong posted:

Either the Miyoo Mini+ or Anbernic RG35XX, they're fairly interchangable in most respects, the main ones are that the former only has one card slot while the latter has two, and that the former has Wi-Fi and the latter has HDMI output

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

drrockso20 posted:

Either the Miyoo Mini+ or Anbernic RG35XX, they're fairly interchangable in most respects, the main ones are that the former only has one card slot while the latter has two, and that the former has Wi-Fi and the latter has HDMI output
Yeah, I'm really happy with my 35XX, but I'd imagine I'd feel the same if I'd got an MM+ instead.

I'll wait a couple of generations for Moore's Law to trickle down before buying anything similar though, because I want something that will handle PS2/GC/DC but won't feel like a major investment.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Has anyone run Moonlight streaming on the 405m? I thought reddit has a thread topic on everything but I haven't found any owner discussion of this topic.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

stephenthinkpad posted:

Has anyone run Moonlight streaming on the 405m? I thought reddit has a thread topic on everything but I haven't found any owner discussion of this topic.

Not sure about the 405 but it was nonfunctional on my 353M. It basically crashed/froze whenever I tried to run anything. It detected my PC and saw the games but just never got it to run anything.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone know what the square screen of the RGB30 was initially intended for?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Gameboy games and vertical shoot 'ems I think, probably originally from blackberry phones those were pretty square iirc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

hatty posted:

Gameboy games and vertical shoot 'ems I think

No I meant the device it was meant for, like how the RG505 uses the Vita’s OLED.

E:missed your edit

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think they mean what device was it excess stock from (in the way the Retroid Pocket 3 uses iPhone 8 screens), the only thing I can come up with is some cheap VR headset but even the cheapest ones that weren't phone holders were 1280x1280.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Don't remember any Blackberry screen being exactly a square. Now I'm curious, too.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't think that screen is from any phone or camera. Probably its from a commercial machine like a giant printer or CT scanner or something.

explosivo posted:

Not sure about the 405 but it was nonfunctional on my 353M. It basically crashed/froze whenever I tried to run anything. It detected my PC and saw the games but just never got it to run anything.

Thanks. I tried it, its pretty playable. If you set the PC screen to 4x3 first, you can play full screen on games that support 4x3. I tried 4 games, 2 support 4x3, 2 don't so you have to go with 16x9. The only setting I change on Moonlight is flipping the AB and XY buttons.

Playing a 405m on bed I don't have to worry about have the Deck hit my face when I fall asleep.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 14, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
square screens are for pico-8 :colbert:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Rinkles posted:

Anyone know what the square screen of the RGB30 was initially intended for?

idk but it looks sick

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dont like the bezel on it imo

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

beer gas canister posted:

idk but it looks sick

If I wouldn't have just gotten a 353m before that came out, I would snatch one up. However, if my kid still wants to have an upgrade over his 351p I know which direction I'm pushing him.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

native pico 8 on mm+ with onion os is my new best friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Grassy Knowles posted:

native pico 8 on mm+ with onion os is my new best friend

What are you playing?