Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I watched a few matches of the Rugby World Cup and they seemed to do pretty well with their version of VAR. One of the big differences was that the game clock is stopped while they're doing a VAR check so the refs wouldn't feel under time pressure to make a rushed decision. I don't think that's a useful comparison to football, but the other big difference was that the television audience could see and hear the ref and the VAR talking to one another, so you could understand their full decision-making process and know you were seeing exactly what they were seeing. That might help make the VAR process a little less mystifying, and also force the refs to act professionally because they know they're being broadcast live to millions of people.

Do that and change offside to either the automated World Cup rear end cam or do the thing with the thick lines where if they're touching it's close enough, and see if those two changes make VAR tolerable.

Don’t let the rugby thread hear that, so many of the complaints are the quality and speed of the TMO (VAR) in the tournament. But that’s more rules interpretation and usage of the review, which is about application, and not the bones of it, which are generally good.

The chat between booth and field ref is the best of any sport I know of, and you’re right - broadcasting it would put an onus on everyone to behave well, which might solve more problems right away. Otherwise you’ve got what I’d suggest - semi-auto offside and improve how the current system is used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The rugby thing where a team of people spend ten minutes analysing a move in slow motion before upgrading a card to a sending off would be awful for football

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

The rugby thing where a team of people spend ten minutes analysing a move in slow motion before upgrading a card to a sending off would be awful for football

That would be dumb but I do think being able to listen in on the ref and VAR talking to each other would be better than ten minutes of listening to commentators saying "why are they showing this angle? What are they even looking for??"

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
VAR loving sucks and the people who advocate for it are boring jobworths no one likes to hang out with

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Succinct.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
var ftw

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

lol Spurs

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

harperdc posted:

lol Spurs

This!!!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't get why they don't use just use position of the players' feet for ruling close offside calls, I know it's supposed to be any part of the body that can score but it would be easy and fast to accurately judge which is definitely not the case with the current rule.

Also:

harperdc posted:

lol Spurs

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

qirex posted:

I don't get why they don't use just use position of the players' feet for ruling close offside calls, I know it's supposed to be any part of the body that can score but it would be easy and fast to accurately judge which is definitely not the case with the current rule.

I would imagine feet are the last thing the on-field officials are looking at, so rhen you'd end up with the on-field officials and VAR explicitly looking at different things instead of unofficially

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Players feet and also a gap between their front foot and the furthest back foot of the opposition, if you're 5mm further forward than a defender then that's not an advantage of the type that offside was meant to address. A lot of stuff that happens now is geared around an offside trap sitting about 5cm higher up than the attacking player and then sitting around for a year while VAR works out what happened using the lowest resolution cameras you can get hold of.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
VAR refs should be given a limited number of replays and instructed only to overturn obviously incorrect calls. The fact that they’re drawing lines and stuff is mental.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some of the VAR complaints are also complaints about the rules of football as well

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

VAR refs should be given a limited number of replays and instructed only to overturn obviously incorrect calls. The fact that they’re drawing lines and stuff is mental.

it is wild that thanks to the miracles of modern technology a rule written to stop players from just hanging out in the penalty area all match has turned into "if you are 1mm past the defender we will rule out your teammate's goal scored on the other side of the pitch"

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
e: nm

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

vyelkin posted:

I watched a few matches of the Rugby World Cup and they seemed to do pretty well with their version of VAR. One of the big differences was that the game clock is stopped while they're doing a VAR check so the refs wouldn't feel under time pressure to make a rushed decision. I don't think that's a useful comparison to football, but the other big difference was that the television audience could see and hear the ref and the VAR talking to one another, so you could understand their full decision-making process and know you were seeing exactly what they were seeing. That might help make the VAR process a little less mystifying, and also force the refs to act professionally because they know they're being broadcast live to millions of people.

Do that and change offside to either the automated World Cup rear end cam or do the thing with the thick lines where if they're touching it's close enough, and see if those two changes make VAR tolerable.

I think one of the major differences with the way that it's implemented in rugby is that a try is a try unless the referee asks for it to be reviewed for a possible infringement, which he conveys to the crowd via the medium of mime, rather than everything being subject to ten minutes of watching the Zapruder film. Similarly, if he sees something on the field, he can ask to watch a replay of it, rather than just doing his own poo poo and then getting overruled by bluetooth.

Absolutely agree that people forget how bad the refereeing was before everything got video reviewed to death, but there's probably a middle ground.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
the other thing is that it's way easier to score points in rugby than it is in football - a chalked off goal will have way more impact than a chalked off try

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Absolutely agree that people forget how bad the refereeing was before everything got video reviewed to death, but there's probably a middle ground.

This, (semi) automated offside and VAR watching for things like fouls that should be a red card and dives in the box where there's no contact are good. Independent VAR crews or whatever would be way better than scrapping the whole thing.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

just remembering cool moments in professional refereeing when you could take wild idiot dives in the box and have a 50% chance of getting a penalty

or when you could elbow smash a guy hard enough he does a fencing response and get a yellow for it, which can't be upgraded on review

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

also the dude who helped south korea beat italy and then went to jail for trying to smuggle thirteen pounds of heroin through JFK

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

or when you could elbow smash a guy hard enough he does a fencing response and get a yellow for it, which can't be upgraded on review
You still only get a yellow for elbows.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

just remembering cool moments in professional refereeing when you could take wild idiot dives in the box and have a 50% chance of getting a penalty

yes op, I remember it and it was great

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

Thanks Ants posted:

Some of the VAR complaints are also complaints about the rules of football as well

Some of the rules are pretty ambiguous and it's very annoying waiting for the VAR review when the rule they're considering isn't clearly defined in the first place. For example, does anyone know exactly what counts as a handball? How many replays does it take to know if an arm is in a position that is not a "consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation"?

The criteria for awarding a free kick say nothing about 'getting the ball' and instead use the language of "careless, reckless, or excessively forceful" contact, but VAR takes ages looking to see if a penalty should be awarded because the defender's toe grazed the attacker's foot.

It reminds me of American football when they bring out the chains to measure precisely between two points that the refs have determined subjectively.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
getting rid of video replay is stupid, other leagues can do it. the problem is the inept morons in english refereeing that need to be cleared out

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Xabi posted:

You still only get a yellow for elbows.

even less if you're a linesman

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
New avs just dropped

https://twitter.com/FPL_BlackWolf/status/1723021813230252534

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

J Hume posted:

For example, does anyone know exactly what counts as a handball?

I did and then they changed what handball was and I didn't anymore.

And it'll happen to you!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bald Emery looks dangerous

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Bald Emery looks dangerous

buh gawd that's Tommaso Ciampa's music

and so on and so forth

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

J Hume posted:

Some of the rules are pretty ambiguous and it's very annoying waiting for the VAR review when the rule they're considering isn't clearly defined in the first place. For example, does anyone know exactly what counts as a handball? How many replays does it take to know if an arm is in a position that is not a "consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation"?

The criteria for awarding a free kick say nothing about 'getting the ball' and instead use the language of "careless, reckless, or excessively forceful" contact, but VAR takes ages looking to see if a penalty should be awarded because the defender's toe grazed the attacker's foot.

It reminds me of American football when they bring out the chains to measure precisely between two points that the refs have determined subjectively.

This is the crux of the problem for me. VAR as a tool is great, but you put the same replay in front of 10 different refs and you are likely to get 10 different rulings. If a bs ruling was at least consistent it wouldn't be such an issue.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

also the dude who helped south korea beat italy and then went to jail for trying to smuggle thirteen pounds of heroin through JFK

Not all heroes wear capes

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Top 5 separated by 3 points is cool and good

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
someone with a twitter account should post a tweet here about De Zerbi saying he "dislikes 80% of english refs" lol

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Is there a way to see these without having a twitter, sorry, x, account?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

The Perfect Element posted:

Is there a way to see these without having a twitter, sorry, x, account?

https://nitter.net/

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

whoa

https://twitter.com/eurofootcom/status/1723756834631163953#m

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1724069605440950553?t=BJzAoQCBi_Qwmho26Pxlvw&s=19

One simple way to make the calls stop.

Though, I would rather see the end of season results of doubling down on Erik.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Feeling more positive about my Marco Silva sack race pick now that ten Hag has found some form and Chelsea look alright again

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Howard Webb has told Farteta to do one

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/nov/14/howard-webb-dismisses-mikel-arteta-complaints-over-newcastle-win-against-arsenal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"Clear and obvious error" is their cop out for anything they want. The entire system is designed first and foremost to placate their fragile egos.