Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The only good “next gen” feature is the ssds allowing fast loading and quick resume.

That's worth the price of admission all by itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ColdPie posted:

That's worth the price of admission all by itself

Playing stuff like Hitman and Prey that used to take literal minutes to load last gen and now it takes about five seconds on the new machines is the dream

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I really wanted to like Quantum Break, but in the first three chapters I had two end of chapter crashes that deleted my entire chapter progress. Very frustrating

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I really wanted to like Quantum Break, but in the first three chapters I had two end of chapter crashes that deleted my entire chapter progress. Very frustrating

It's a game desperately crying out for a performance patch on Xbox and a DLSS patch in on PC. The story is unfortunately very Max Payne but forgetting the tongue-in-cheek but the gameplay is extremely Max Payne with super powers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s remedy’s worst games by miles

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
It's stuck in Microsoft ownership hell and I'm doubtful Remedy will go back fixing it ever again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oooooh Wild Hearts out of no where on Game Pass now.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The lighting in Sate of Decay 2 is all messed up. I can't see anything at night so I turn up the gamma then at daytime it can get blinding.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sounds like something with your tv cause I played it both on Xbox and PC and never noticed anything weird about the lighting

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

There was a tile on my Xbox home screen about a sale, I clicked it and it was a simulator games sale! My god my wallet instantly drained, picked up like 4 games for €30.

First time in months I scrolled down on the dash, too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone get Trepang2 on series x? Just wondering how it runs/plays. Looks cool. Might have asked already

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Sywert of Thieves posted:

There was a tile on my Xbox home screen about a sale, I clicked it and it was a simulator games sale! My god my wallet instantly drained, picked up like 4 games for €30.

First time in months I scrolled down on the dash, too.

Nice, what did you pick up?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Finished "The Invencible".

Good game. Walking simulator with chatty parts and good sci-fi. Reminds me of good parts of some Valve games.

Started Dungeons 4 and I don't activelly hate it. For some reason I can't see a way to "raid" troops to a point in dungeon mode. Theres some weirdness with the UI that seems designed for random coop.... and the result is the campaing feels somewhat a afterthrough. The whole game feels somewhat a aftertrough.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Tei posted:

Started Dungeons 4 and I don't activelly hate it. For some reason I can't see a way to "raid" troops to a point in dungeon mode. Theres some weirdness with the UI that seems designed for random coop.... and the result is the campaing feels somewhat a afterthrough. The whole game feels somewhat a aftertrough.

I've been playing it heaps and am enjoying it. Really scratches that Dungeon Keeper itch like Dungeons 3 did.

Don't know what you mean about the UI but to move your army in dungeon mode you just pick up all your units (for controller it's up on the D-pad) and drop them near the enemy and they'll aggro towards it. You can also slap an enemy and your units will focus fire it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Fanatic posted:

Don't know what you mean about the UI but to move your army in dungeon mode you just pick up all your units (for controller it's up on the D-pad) and drop them near the enemy and they'll aggro towards it. You can also slap an enemy and your units will focus fire it.

That what I do, but feel somewhat brutish. Also the traps do very littel damage. Even lava does not burn people, just seems to incomodate people. My units and enemies have not problem walking over lava. And theres not much into the way of traps. I can't build complicated trap systems where a trap send enemies flying to other trap, that are push into a trap, and that into another. Instead I setup some killzones, where the traps does chip damage until the enemies are tired of living.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Tei posted:

That what I do, but feel somewhat brutish. Also the traps do very littel damage. Even lava does not burn people, just seems to incomodate people. My units and enemies have not problem walking over lava. And theres not much into the way of traps. I can't build complicated trap systems where a trap send enemies flying to other trap, that are push into a trap, and that into another. Instead I setup some killzones, where the traps does chip damage until the enemies are tired of living.

Yeah I'm up to mission 15 and I kind of gave up on traps awhile ago haha. It's too much of an investment I find.

Tech research relies so heavily on the Evil resource, which of course is mostly found in the overworld, so most of my effort goes into improving my army to send out.

Thalya has a cheap spell that teleports your army back to the dungeon heart (and there's also the portal spell which is even better), so it's pretty easy to recall your army for defense rather than rely on static D that doesn't scale well.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

John F Bennett posted:

Nice, what did you pick up?

Embr, Gas Station Simulator and Totally Accurate Battle Simulator. I'm a sucker for dad games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tei posted:

Finished "The Invencible".

Good game. Walking simulator with chatty parts and good sci-fi. Reminds me of good parts of some Valve games.

I started on Dungeon 4 this morning as well, but bounced off it after the first mission and a little bit into the second. It just didn't feel good to play for me. Its weird too because I enjoyed Dungeon 3 a lot, but that was also years ago.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I was under the impression that Dungeons was some sort of dungeon management/tycoon game, but I quit when it started with some sort of isometric RPG-like gameplay.

Guess I should have read the back of the box!

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I cannot play Like A Dragon because my XSX pops an overheating message after I finish the intro cutscenes.

This must mean this game is HOT

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Weebly posted:

I cannot play Like A Dragon because my XSX pops an overheating message after I finish the intro cutscenes.

When was the last time you cleaned your Xbox, sounds to me like it's probably clogged with dust somewhere

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Weebly posted:

Take the blanket off your Xbox

Or blow out the goon dust

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Yeah it's definitely not the game lol.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Fairly certain Yakuza games can run on an Apple Watch. Your Xbox is coated with boogers I’m afraid.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Embr, Gas Station Simulator and Totally Accurate Battle Simulator. I'm a sucker for dad games.

T.A.B.S. is so much fun. I’ve got it on Steam but seems like a sensible controller interface would work (hopefully they did that with console).

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

John F Bennett posted:

I was under the impression that Dungeons was some sort of dungeon management/tycoon game, but I quit when it started with some sort of isometric RPG-like gameplay.

Guess I should have read the back of the box!

It's both - in the overworld you manage some dudes in a Warcraft 3 style RTS, and underground you play Dungeon Keeper. Troops can move from one to the other via various gates - basically you defend your base from overworld incursions and muster forces to assault above ground.

It's good fun but the third-rate Pratchett knockoff humour and unnecessary 'two-maps' structure keep it away from being a truly great Dungeon Keeper successor. I'm genuinely surprised to learn that this is somehow the 4th in a series

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So I keep hearing about these Yakuza games and there's like a dozen of them. Lots are on gamepass. There's no way in hell I'm going to go to the beginning and play them all, so which one (that is currently on gamepass) should I start with

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yakuza 0 is the go-to recommendation, although there are a few early game caveats.

Caveat 1: The game is on-rails for a while when you start, basically all of Chapter 1.

Caveat 2: When the game opens up, the first quest is confusing to newcomers of the series, because you have to get a specific alcoholic drink for each of five homeless people. What the game doesn't explain is that you have to go to five different locations to get them all: the four convenience stores in Kamurocho, and the Don Quixote (there are no map markers for this or anything). But once you've done that the rest of the game is your normal patented good time.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 13, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Squibsy posted:

So I keep hearing about these Yakuza games and there's like a dozen of them. Lots are on gamepass. There's no way in hell I'm going to go to the beginning and play them all, so which one (that is currently on gamepass) should I start with

Yakuza 0. It might be the best one and also story-wise it's the best place to start as to not be baffled.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I had two soft locks where some scripted events just didn’t happen and another glitch where the game would freak out when I used any time powers during the final boss that required me to close and restart the game.

The game has some neat moments, but you can feel how often compromises were made to get the game out the door at the cost of their more ambitious goals.

The tv show was really bad though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yakuza 0 is maybe the funniest game ever made.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yakuza 0 is maybe the funniest game ever made.

I'll make you an offer

IN CASH!

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
I'd say Kiwami before 0. It's a lot shorter, so you can get a feel for what Yakuza is like without sinking in 100 hours. It's a remake of the first game in the series.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
0's story flows naturally into Kiwami and it's a significantly better game in every way. It's a hell of a lot longer but it's more like 40-50 hours unless you're trying to max the completion list, and if you're doing that you're probably liking what the series is selling.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Mods please rename thread to Start with Yakuza 0.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

the rat fandom posted:

I had two soft locks where some scripted events just didn’t happen and another glitch where the game would freak out when I used any time powers during the final boss that required me to close and restart the game.

The game has some neat moments, but you can feel how often compromises were made to get the game out the door at the cost of their more ambitious goals.

The tv show was really bad though.

oh yeah that’s rough. Maybe it’s good I didn’t make it to the tv parts lol

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Not sure if anyone actually cares about the Game Awards, but here are the nominees

https://x.com/IdleSloth84_/status/1724108986675298629?s=20

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao Starfield

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Should replace Wonder with Pikmin 4 imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Not sure if anyone actually cares about the Game Awards, but here are the nominees

https://x.com/IdleSloth84_/status/1724108986675298629?s=20

It's going to either be TotK or BG3.