Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I don't like RTD's style when it comes to showrunning DW, but I unequivocally agree with his messages of inclusion and diversity. :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Include em all and let Who sort em out

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm going to maintain til everyone is sick of hearing me say it that the quality whiplash for the Chibnal era is not between episodes, it's within episodes. There are very few stories in those series that don't at least start with promise and most of them even build in a good direction, and then the crummy ones either fail to pull the trigger or drop the ball in the third act.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Less flippantly, these are people who have a very unusual definition of "political". For them, the political part of Aliens of London / World War Three isn't the 9/11 allegory where a group of politicians use false claims of weapons of mass destruction in the wake of a flying vehicle hitting a tower to drum up enough fear to start a war on false pretenses for their own profit, it's the part where Mickey is black.

For many people things only seem political when they disagree with their own beliefs. Something that approves the status quo is not political, from that perspective. The binary is "normal" vs "political."

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Yes, the Chibnall era is characterized by watching an episode and feeling the increasing urge to shout WHY ISN"T THIS EPISODE BETTER? at your screen. While in other moments of the show's history, you wouldn't do that because it was pretty obvious why that episode wasn't better. Contrasting with the "this plot/concept/character has no potential" is Chibnall's "look at all the wasted potential" model of the show.

Best improvement: The Dominators into The Mind Robber.

I wouldn't argue for these myself, but I could also see someone arguing for The Invasion of Time into The Ribos Operation or Terminus into Enlightenment.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1720455797849940098

Star Beast airs 6:30PM Nov 25, 56 minutes

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 10, 2023

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/EveryMeep/status/1722765348254945307?s=20
We're getting close now! I can't believe we're going to get three straight weeks of new doctor who and then a Christmas episode! I am very excited if you can't tell.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vinylshadow posted:

Star Beast airs 6:30PM Nov 25, 56 minutes

:bisonyes:

It's been too long.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

I remain baffled at people who like Doctor Who (and indeed Star Trek) who get angry at progressive politics. What on earth are they finding in the show to enjoy?
I used to wonder this about Star Trek, but the franchise is about boldly going where no one has gone before, finding people already there, telling them their ways are bad and wrong, loving up their entire society in a day or two, then loving off and never following up.

That's some conservative-rear end poo poo, and Doctor Who occasionally does this too.

But to your point, mostly it's because conservates are as bad at media literacy as they are at sex.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
To be fair, the crew of the USS Enterprise was right to intervene on the Nazi planet and tell them they were wrong.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They were right pretty much most of the time, but it's still a very conservative mindset dressed up with a military structure of command.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
How about this one for an uptick?

Delta and the Bannermen to Dragonfire.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 11, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

How about this one for an uptick?

Delta and the Bannermen to Dragonfire.

Me and the gang every time we're forced to remember Delta and the Bannermen exists:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

I used to wonder this about Star Trek, but the franchise is about boldly going where no one has gone before, finding people already there, telling them their ways are bad and wrong, loving up their entire society in a day or two, then loving off and never following up.

That's some conservative-rear end poo poo,

Oh give me a break already. This is such a deliberately hostile misreading of the entire franchise.

Conservatives are dipshits who routinely and purposely ignore or miss entirely the subtext of the things they’re watching. That’s it, that’s the whole reason you can have conservative and libertarian Trekkies. They’re morons.

It has nothing to do with the content of the actual show that often went well out of its way to be purposely progressive for the time in which it was made.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh give me a break already. This is such a deliberately hostile misreading of the entire franchise.
It's not my reading, yo. It's theirs. It's a vibe that resonates with the truly awful, even if they could never in a million years comprehend that that's why they like it.

But the rest just don't understand media on any level whatsoever beyond "things happened in it and I liked watching them happen."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Conservatives are dipshits who routinely and purposely ignore or miss entirely the subtext of the things they’re watching. That’s it, that’s the whole reason you can have conservative and libertarian Trekkies. They’re morons.

It has nothing to do with the content of the actual show that often went well out of its way to be purposely progressive for the time in which it was made.

Not only that, but as I seem to recall Kirk and co. often took great pains to not violate the Prime Directive. They usually only did so when events forced their hand, like in that one episode where warfare was conducted via computer, with victims voluntary reporting for death after the computer reported the results of an "attack". And even though Kirk found their approach to warfare inhumane and distasteful, as I recall he took no steps to interfere with anything, until the planet's government said "oh shucks, the Enterprise was collateral damage in that last attack and got completely destroyed. Sorry about that Kirk, better send your entire crew down to get killed in our suicide chambers".

Kirk didn't just show up on that planet and start imposing his will, and I don't think he did that in any of the other episodes where they encountered cultures with values that he found personally repellent. And by and large, the Doctor has much the same approach, when it comes to only interfering with a planet's culture or government because events force the Doctor's hand (or because it's ruled by a repressive regime that deserves to be toppled).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Do y'all seriously not get that when I'm explaining why conservatives would like a thing, I'm not talking about myself?

Because I'm literally a trans communist.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Do y'all seriously not get that when I'm explaining why conservatives would like a thing, I'm not talking about myself?

Because I'm literally a trans communist.

No, we get that. What we're saying is your hypothesis is very flawed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
“Conservative dipshits like Star Trek because it secretly has conservative overtones” is such a blindingly wrong take that it honestly makes me question if you’ve actually seen more than just out of context clips of the show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

“Conservative dipshits like Star Trek because it secretly has conservative overtones"
Okay, I'm going to try this one more time:

"Why do conservatives like Star Trek?"

Because if they squint really hard and ignore most of the rest of it, there are bits that appear conform to their dogshit worldview.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
How is that any loving different to what I said in my first reply?

You don’t get to post like a condescending rear end if you’re only skimming the replies you get lmao

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's lividliquid. She's just really angry all the time.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, I'm going to try this one more time:

"Why do conservatives like Star Trek?"

Because if they squint really hard and ignore most of the rest of it, there are bits that appear conform to their dogshit worldview.

E: On reflection, my repsonse probably came across as more "aggro" than anything else, so I decided to remove it.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 11, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Narsham posted:

Yes, the Chibnall era is characterized by watching an episode and feeling the increasing urge to shout WHY ISN"T THIS EPISODE BETTER? at your screen. While in other moments of the show's history, you wouldn't do that because it was pretty obvious why that episode wasn't better. Contrasting with the "this plot/concept/character has no potential" is Chibnall's "look at all the wasted potential" model of the show.

Chibnall has seen one episode of television in his life, and it's the Venture Brothers episode Escape to the House of Mummies, Pt 2

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sensible people watching TOS or TNG recognise that certain things like the complete lack of gay people in the future is a product of when the show was made, and totally recognise that if it was made now they would be there.

Conservatives take it literally and go "gently caress yeah look at this show recognising that 1960s norms are so eternal they'll be in place even centuries from now"

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Senor Tron posted:

Sensible people watching TOS or TNG recognise that certain things like the complete lack of gay people in the future is a product of when the show was made, and totally recognise that if it was made now they would be there.

Conservatives take it literally and go "gently caress yeah look at this show recognising that 1960s norms are so eternal they'll be in place even centuries from now"

Let me just say as an outside observer, this did look a lot like people misread the intent of the original post. Which was better phrased above by Senator Tron.

BF CHAT

OODUNIT - quite fun. I still don't quite understand the context of the earth empire Torchwood and feel I may have missed some stories(I have listened to archive and a couple others but it's vague memory), but I like the Zachary Cross character. And I really always enjoy having a good Ood story - and James Goss is never a miss for me, so I definitely recommend it.

Time to begin planning our holiday re listens. Besides the obvious Chimes, what others make your yearly list?

I'm gonna include Who eps and BF since otherwise our lists are very boring.

Chimes, fairytale for zaltsburg, blood on Santa's claw, the dream crab episode, maybe the snowmen for kicks.

I gotta do a little digging and rememeber some more

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
If you want depressing to kinda cheerful, Death in Blackpool + Relative Dimensions.

And even though it's not a Christmas story, if you want madcap cheer, The One Doctor.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

McGann posted:

Let me just say as an outside observer, this did look a lot like people misread the intent of the original post. Which was better phrased above by Senator Tron.

BF CHAT

OODUNIT - quite fun. I still don't quite understand the context of the earth empire Torchwood and feel I may have missed some stories(I have listened to archive and a couple others but it's vague memory), but I like the Zachary Cross character. And I really always enjoy having a good Ood story - and James Goss is never a miss for me, so I definitely recommend it.

Time to begin planning our holiday re listens. Besides the obvious Chimes, what others make your yearly list?

I'm gonna include Who eps and BF since otherwise our lists are very boring.

Chimes, fairytale for zaltsburg, blood on Santa's claw, the dream crab episode, maybe the snowmen for kicks.

I gotta do a little digging and rememeber some more

Drop Blood on Santa's Claw and replace it with The One Doctor.

The Eighth Doctor & Lucie audio "Relative Dimensions" is Christmas themed

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Davros1 posted:

Drop Blood on Santa's Claw and replace it with The One Doctor.

The Eighth Doctor & Lucie audio "Relative Dimensions" is Christmas themed

CobiWann posted:

If you want depressing to kinda cheerful, Death in Blackpool + Relative Dimensions.

And even though it's not a Christmas story, if you want madcap cheer, The One Doctor.

Hm, I don't remember the Blood on Santa's Claw anthology but I did see it was Christmas related. Maybe I have already listened, may have to try it anyway.

But The One Doctor is a great pick. It's one of my regular comfort "go-to's" (Kingmaker is #1 I think). My favorite part of that one may be the robots building the Ikea stuff. That still gets me every listen.

My brain isn't working quite well enough yet today but I'm digging through to find any other christmas related stuff.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Spare Parts is a christmas episode

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Spare Parts is a christmas episode

oh god it is isn't it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without your replacement limbs, Doctorman Allen

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Apparently two more lost episodes have been confirmed! Except they're in the hands of a private collector who refuses to let anyone see them.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/nov/11/lost-doctor-who-episodes-found-owner-reluctant-to-hand-them-to-bbc

Sounds like one of the episodes is part of The Dalek's Master Plan, too...

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Random Stranger posted:

Apparently two more lost episodes have been confirmed! Except they're in the hands of a private collector who refuses to let anyone see them.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/nov/11/lost-doctor-who-episodes-found-owner-reluctant-to-hand-them-to-bbc

Sounds like one of the episodes is part of The Dalek's Master Plan, too...

There's already an amnesty on any lost footage handed over so there's some bullshit going on here.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The articles main source is apparently saying he was misrepresented.

https://twitter.com/drwhopodcasters/status/1723388160866943358

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
watching Cold Blood and do they ever bring up the notion of a prophecy or legend or whatever to make people "ready to share" the planet again? I remember a recurring silurian character but can't remember if they revisited that 1,000 years later deal, or the two characters in hibernation w the rest of lizardland. and most future earths I remember didn't seem to have a shared planet one way or the other.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If we're talking terrible Christmas stories, Flip Flop is right there.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Khanstant posted:

watching Cold Blood and do they ever bring up the notion of a prophecy or legend or whatever to make people "ready to share" the planet again? I remember a recurring character of the species but can't remember if they revisited that 1,000 years later deal. and most future earths I remember didn't seem to have a shared planet one way or the other.

It's never mentioned again, and the recurring Silurian lives in the 19th century so she happened before the events of Cold Blood.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

watching Cold Blood and do they ever bring up the notion of a prophecy or legend or whatever to make people "ready to share" the planet again? I remember a recurring character of the species but can't remember if they revisited that 1,000 years later deal. and most future earths I remember didn't seem to have a shared planet one way or the other.

The NAs did, but pretty much everything else ignored this element of continuity. There's a classic Who episode that plays around with this slightly (Warriors of the Deep) but it mostly suggests that Earth Reptiles emerged and started a new cold war.

Cold Blood is such a garbage two parter though lmao. The doctor praises a child vivisectionist and offers to move the Reptile colony to the middle of the Outback because apparently it's abandoned, lmfao, gently caress you Chibnall/Moffat how about they go live in Slough instead.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fil5000 posted:

There's already an amnesty on any lost footage handed over so there's some bullshit going on here.

Also, surely there is a statute of limitations on petty theft from 40 years ago. The article mentions some guy being arrested for video piracy, but that was in the 1970s, nobody's being spooked by that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

The NAs did, but pretty much everything else ignored this element of continuity. There's a classic Who episode that plays around with this slightly (Warriors of the Deep) but it mostly suggests that Earth Reptiles emerged and started a new cold war.

Cold Blood is such a garbage two parter though lmao. The doctor praises a child vivisectionist and offers to move the Reptile colony to the middle of the Outback because apparently it's abandoned, lmfao, gently caress you Chibnall/Moffat how about they go live in Slough instead.

Haha that negotiation was so bad. Even after that bit "well what benefit does it bring us anyway." Darkly british as gently caress but the show doesn't even seem to blink about it or notice, everyone's more mad at mom for killing alarya. And you know at some point they're going to reveal the doctor was born in the UK which will explain things like his "solution" of "just let us keep the place for 1,000 years and then check if we're bored of it yet."

Lol oh yeah the end too where Rory is casually erased from existence. Really annoyed me too when Amy is like don't reach in there and the doctor does "why not?" And then a minute later Rory is being light tentacled and he completely abandons him over it. So just totally confident sticking your hand in there can be fine even thought it's exactly where the existence erasers hang out... Come on y'all, a million better ways to reveal TARDIS debris is in there just have it burp some out lol

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 11, 2023