Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Can you play TI4 solo? Is there a better TI related game that you can solo play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Voidfall - more euro
Space empires 4X - more DOAM

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Ubik_Lives posted:

Azul details

Okay honestly Queen's Garden sounds like I would like it more, buy I already have Calico which seems to share some spatial puzzle elements. Summer Pavillion sounds to me like it takes out a lot of what I really like in Azul (when playing with folks who have played a few times already).

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Twilight Imperium 4th edition? There is a roll and write called Twilight Inscryption

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
What are the chances Spirit Island goes on sale for black friday, or any other near future sale/price drop/coupon?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Elysium posted:

What are the chances Spirit Island goes on sale for black friday, or any other near future sale/price drop/coupon?

It was $45 on Prime Day, it could drop to that again.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

DropTheAnvil posted:

Twilight Imperium 4th edition? There is a roll and write called Twilight Inscryption

Twilight Inscription unfortunately gives barely any feeling of being like TI.

Elysium posted:

If you don't find a good deal on it, I'd be happy to sell you my copy since nearly all my plays are TTS now. My main SI buddy moved away.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wasn't there a list of good digital board game adaptations on Steam or am I misremembering? I only have Brass, TtA, Galaxy Trucker and uhhhh Istanbul I guess.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Azran posted:

Wasn't there a list of good digital board game adaptations on Steam or am I misremembering? I only have Brass, TtA, Galaxy Trucker and uhhhh Istanbul I guess.

I think some goon may have had a list at some point, but some of them end up disappearing, i.e. the Asmodee Digital / Twin Sails interactive games being sunset or the Eclipse app being pulled.

Ones I personally know are good are: Root, Concordia, Dominion.

Race for the Galaxy and Spirit Island are goon-approved games, but I've never tried the apps.

Star Realms isn't exactly thread approved but was a good app back in the day.

Dire Wolf Digital and Acram have other offerings that look good, app-wise.

The Wingspan app seems fine if you like Wingspan (which I do) but I found the little bird animations to be hokey as gently caress.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm salty because I love Roots art and the video game version done it dirty

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

The Ticket to Ride game on steam works well. It's very basic but it totally works.

There's an Undaunted Normandy game in early access but it looks like it needs a bit longer in the oven based on the couple of videos I've seen.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Jolo posted:

The Ticket to Ride game on steam works well. It's very basic but it totally works.

This is one of the Asmodee Digital / Twin Sails Interactive games getting sunset. However, another company is releasing one in 3 days, from the makers of Hasbro's Battleship, two different Clue/Cluedo games in 5 years, and The Game of Life 2.

lunael1982
Oct 19, 2012
Hi!

Xmas is closing and is time think gifts for my children. I have 7 and 5 year old's who like board and card games. Our favorites currently are Ticket to ride (with easy homebrew rules), Dragomino and Uno. Any recommendations from parent's of similar age children? Usually we play in group of three but sometimes group of 4 or more. Thanks!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

lunael1982 posted:

Hi!

Xmas is closing and is time think gifts for my children. I have 7 and 5 year old's who like board and card games. Our favorites currently are Ticket to ride (with easy homebrew rules), Dragomino and Uno. Any recommendations from parent's of similar age children? Usually we play in group of three but sometimes group of 4 or more. Thanks!

Tsuro is a fun, simple game for kids. Players take turns laying tiles down to make a dragon, and then “ride” the dragon along its path. The goal of the game is to send the other players either off the board or colliding into one another and be the last one standing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Zombie Kidz

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Azran posted:

The One Deck Dungeon digital game is fantastic. The Spirit Island app is very good too, though the Jagged Earth expansion hasn't been released yet.

Gloomhaven turned out pretty good too, though it's more computer-taxing than you'd expect of a board game adaptation because of all the 3D graphics stuff.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

lunael1982 posted:

Hi!

My kids like Azul (little hard for 5 year old), King of Tokyo and 6Nimmit. 8 year old and I have started playing Hive too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The One Deck Dungeon digital game is fantastic. The Spirit Island app is very good too, though the Jagged Earth expansion hasn't been released yet.

Gloomhaven turned out pretty good too, though it's more computer-taxing than you'd expect of a board game adaptation because of all the 3D graphics stuff.

Oh you're right, I've got these and Aeon's End as well :downs: yeah they're great, agreed!

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

lunael1982 posted:

Hi!

Seconding Tsuro. 5 Minute Dungeon, Hey That's My Fish, Potion Explosion are great as well for adults and kids

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Annual convention, I couldn't go as long as sometimes due to kids and logistics and stuff, but got some in.

Money: Well, this was a Knizia. Secretly choose money cards from hand to bid on two lots, go in bid order replacing a lot with your bid so that it becomes one of the lots, try to get a ton of a given suit and remember you're bidding with the same money cards that are the score. It was fine, sure. I came a hair's breadth from winning, 500 490 (me) 370 260 120. Very much a "you'd better hit some thresholds or else you get almost nothing" scoring which he's definitely done before.

Noli: Holy poo poo this was one of the worst games I've ever played. Four actions which you secretly bid on. Then winner takes the action, and everyone loses their bids. What the gently caress? Blind bidding losers pay, four auctions at once? Then, everyone has four dice with five blank faces. Roll off as fast as you can to get all four showing the non-blank face! What the gently caress!?? This is really dumb! I hate it. Avoid at all costs, and avoid playing games the person who suggested it suggests in the future, too.

War of the Ring: The Card Game: I've played the wargame a few times, 2v2 teams. This we played also 2v2 teams, and the "trilogy" which is to say all nine rounds instead of some smaller scenario I guess. Basically a series of tug of wars using card driven payments and decks lose stuff as you go on. It was decent enough, I'd play it again, one of the players was getting really salty about his deck getting thinned so much, so now I just want to avoid playing with that person too.

Charioteer: Racing game, and it basically removed all the stuff I dislike about racing games. You have a hand of eight cards with symbols on them, and there's a round card drawn from the same deck along with the next two rounds' of round cards visible for planning. Play one to three cards from hand, and match the symbols and numbers to move spaces, add a bonus if you got one, level up that color to make future turns in that color better. No dice for movement, no drafting, no weird car tire poo poo. I liked it! I'd totally play this again. I lost by less than a point to my wife, i.e. we were the same distance past the finish line but she was on the inside. Very pleasing result, tbh, I love extremely narrow losses to her.

Jalape-no: Neat little trick taking game, extremely cute cards, spicy pepper 1's that you're trying to avoid but if you take one, it stays out in front of you and you can just lead it away...unless everyone's out of that suit in which case you're hosed. Unless you can slough it off on a future trick in a different suit lead! Very solid, big swings, I won having taken zero spicy peppers tied with someone else doing the same.

Tangram City: Uwe using tangram shapes in a flip-and-place. Neh. Very middling, I have no interest in it again. I like Cities a lot more in that genre.

Nana: Japanese for 7, little card game with a big heart. Cards 1-12, three of each, some face down in the middle, the rest in people's hands. On your turn you can flip a card up, or point at someone and tell them to reveal their highest or lowest card. Keep doing that until you don't get a matching card and everything gets flipped back/returned, or get all three and gain the whole set. First to three sets, or two sets that add or subtract to 7, or one set of the 7's wins. Tons of laughter because remembering what someone did literally fifteen seconds ago is apparently extremely difficult but funny even to the person asking the same person for the lowest card. Basically a memory game with deduction since what people are asking for helps you figure out what they might have. A round of it takes ten minutes, tops, I played this four times.

Dice Realms: Got to play with Jeroen, which was fun. The game itself...maybe less so. Tom Lehmann does dice crafting, you get to upgrade the faces of your dice. Felt basically like Roll Through the Ages but less static, and I think to its detriment. Did not like it at all, tbh.

Come Sail Away: New Saashi and Saashi, it was very pleasant and the art is awesome as always, very little interaction but fine enough. Much prefer Wind The Film/Photograph, but took no issue with this one.

Riichi mahjong: started after midnight as is our yearly tradition, I had a great run as dealer and we called it at 3 something with me way in the lead at an even 42k, my wife was just under 21k and the other two below 20k. Love riichi, will never turn it down, will always seek it out. Had to hunt down a square, not too big, not too high table, to play on.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Played On Mars again. I get it now. Martin who? Vital Lacerda's the man.

Probably going to check out Kanban EV next. That's as highly acclaimed as On Mars, right? (Well, probably going to play On Mars a bunch more first as I still realized a bunch of errors in my play after the fact; this is a game I can sink my teeth into.)

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Azran posted:

Oh you're right, I've got these and Aeon's End as well :downs: yeah they're great, agreed!

Their Aeon's End app is great too! I wish it had been more financially successful, since there's such a massive amount of content from the board game that never got brought over.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've put up a thread for an EXCEED GG:Strive tournament with a small prize, all players welcome! Check it out!

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Played a few rounds of Worldbreakers: Advent of the Khanate and wanted to sing its praises here since I haven't seen a ton of attention on the game. In one sentence, it's a Magic-like card game with strong Netrunner influences, set in an alternate 13th-century Mongolia. (All images in this post are either official game art or photos uploaded to BGG by Daniel Thurot, aka SpaceBiff; CC BY-SA 3.0 DEED).

The basic card play is pretty familiar; you have a hand of followers (creatures) and locations (somewhat similar to the agendas in Netrunner). The turn structure, though, is what really makes the game sing. You can see in the image above that there's a little track with spaces 1-4 for both players. On your turn, you can take exactly one action from a list (including gaining 1 currency, drawing a card, playing a card, etc.) and then pass back to your opponent. The round resets after you've both taken 4 actions, but the cool thing is if you play last in a round, you're going to then play first next round - which means you have a very rare chance to take two uninterrupted actions in a row. The alternating turn structure means you have to build up your combos in plain view of your opponent, step-by-step. There's no summoning sickness, either (followers come into play untapped and ready to fight) but you can't attack with them until your next turn (since you only get one action at a time), so unless you time a big follower drop to the end of the round, your opponent is always going to get a chance to play a blocker or otherwise deal with your play. I can't stress enough how enjoyable the metronomic back-and-forth cardplay is. I might go into a round with a strategy in mind, but as soon as my opponent plays, I have to adjust my strategy to match their tempo. You can't just sit back and execute your perfect strategy at your leisure: there's always a chance for your opponent to ruin your plans.

You win at 10 Power (victory points), but there's two ways to acquire it: either from successful attacks (+1 Power per attacker that makes it through unblocked) or from developing your Location cards. Development is a free action you can take on your turn (free as in no cost in resources, it still uses your action), and it allows you to remove a stage counter from any of your locations, gaining the next level of reward (and discarding the location once you've gotten all the rewards). In the image above, the Den of Sabers and the Submerged Brilliance are both locations, with the Den giving you Power and card draw, while the Brilliance is a mine that gets you money, cards, and Power in the later two stages. The stage counters also work like health for the locations: if one or more attackers make it through unblocked, the attacker gets to remove a stage counter from one of your locations without giving you the usual reward.

If you've played Netrunner, you'll recognize this event

There are four factions included in the starter set, each with a preconstructed 30-card deck and an always-in-play leader card (no duplicate cards allowed, which is interesting). I've played two and seen all four in action:

Marco Polo: His deck specializes in playing location cards, with a strong focus on economy and locations with the Hidden tag (meaning they can't be damaged by successful attacks!) His followers aren't particularly strong, and he has a lot of Stationary blockers (can't join attacks) but he also has some control Events (instant spells, basically) and ways to put Stationary tokens on enemy followers. His leader ability lets you flip the top card of your deck whenever you play a Location. If the flipped card is a follower, it goes in your hand; otherwise, it's put at the bottom of the deck. Just like in Netrunner, the game will let you bottleneck yourself with the limited card draw and income flow, so his ability helps you avoid getting stuck with a mitt full of Locations and no one to defend them.

I just love this guy

Khutulun: She's the the favoured daughter of Kaidu, the "de facto" khan of the Chagatai Khanate, part of the Mongolian Empire. According to Wikipedia, he might have tried to name her as his successor before he died in 1301. Anyway, she's the game's Red/zoo/swarm archetype, focusing on building up an overwhelming force that she will never stop crashing against you, picking up a few Power every turn until you're forced to give in. Her leader ability gives one attacker +1 strength during a battle; straightforwardly good and useful even if you attack multiple times in a turn. She has one of my favourite cards in the game, the Confident Suitor, who wagers 1000 horses against her hand in marriage in a wrestling match. Mechanically, he exists to get his rear end kicked (he dies after a successful attack) and then give you a huge income boost (I guess the horses go to you either way).

Ruknuddin Khurshah: In the game's lore, this is the guy who found Mythium, the magic rock you use as currency to summon cards. His deck has a lot of nasty assassin-types, and his leader ability allows him to tap and pay to automatically toss 1 damage on any follower the defender controls during an attack - even if that follower isn't being used to block. It's a nasty way to add chip damage over time on beefier blockers, and lets him make the trade math just tilt slightly in his favour with each attack. Very annoying to play against.

This is one of Khurshah's locations. Note that it lets you trigger an attack as soon as the location enters - that's effectively a free extra action on your turn! The second-stage ability is also nasty, giving you both a VP and triggering another attack.

The Muhandasat Council of Engineers: The other location-focused faction, these guys have the ability to stockpile locations underneath their character card, giving you a sort of secondary hand and another way to keep your card draw up (since locations you draw get stored then you can draw a replacement card). A lot of their followers focus on providing benefits to you for having lots of scholar-types and for investing heavily in Guild Standing (powerful cards are gated by requiring you to have level 1, 2, or 3 standing in a certain Guild; levelling that standing up is an action you can take on your turn). They're fun, but felt a bit slow on their feet when I played them.

One last thing I want to note is that the designer seems to have taken pains to consult historians and Mongolian cultural consultants, and some of the flavour text is marked with a quill icon to indicate that it's an actual historical fact. I really like that touch and it feels cool to learn one (1) thing while playing a card game.

Anyway, the game is free to Print-n-Play and there's a good TTS mod, as well as a solo mode that has some of the fun stuff from the multiplayer game (looking for combos, building up locations) but (in my opinion) doesn't really capture what's cool about the design. Check it out, if you enjoy card games this one's incredibly easy to get into with a lot of fun moment-to-moment strategy.

BinaryDoubts fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 13, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1236720/view/3819676210721069553?l=english

Spirit Island's Jagged Earth expansion for the app will release on Q1 2024. But it will roll out in waves kinda like an EA title, each release having two new spirits and scenarios/game modes. All powers, events, etc. is getting added at launch.

quote:

Jagged Earth will be released as DLC/IAP for Spirit Island digital simultaneously on Steam, iOS, and Google Play. It will be a single purchase (or playable via subscription on mobile), but not all content & features will be available with the initial launch. More content & features will be released in phases (details below).

The price of Jagged Earth will be announced at a later time. However, our plan is that the initial price will be discounted. As more content is added, the price will increase until Jagged Earth is complete at its full price. The subscription price on mobile will be increasing with the initial launch of Jagged Earth, to reflect the large amount of new content included.

Purchase of full gameplay (core game or Horizons) is required in order to purchase & play Jagged Earth. Branch & Claw is not required.

Development screenshot, subject to change.

Initial Launch: Q1 2024
Version 1.7 of Spirit Island will mark the initial release of Jagged Earth, which will include a large amount of content:
All 57 Major/Minor Power Cards
All 30 Event Cards
All 6 Fear Cards
All 7 Blight Cards
Both double-sided Island Boards (E & F and their thematic sides)
2 Spirits:
Stone's Unyielding Defiance
Vengeance as a Burning Plague
1 Adversary:
The Habsburg Monarchy (Livestock Colony)
3 new game mechanics:
Badlands tokens
Isolate
Pieces counting as other pieces

More exciting new features will be available in version 1.7, including:
Reminder list for global and permanent effects in Spirit Foresight
Prompts to resolve each section of Event Cards (optional)
Official updates to the Branch & Claw card pool:
Tipping Point will be removed
Growth Through Sacrifice will be replaced with Roiling Bog and Snagging Thorn

Release Phases
Following the initial launch we plan to release further content in 8 phases (contents & order subject to change based on development). No additional purchases will be required; when the game is updated with each phase, you will gain access to the new content with your existing purchase of Jagged Earth.

Each phase will be released when it's ready, not according to any predetermined schedule. We will continue to preview new content on our live streams.

"The Teeming Host Arrives"
Spirit: Many Minds Move as One
Adversary: The Tsardom of Russia

"Visions of a Shifting Future"
Spirit: Fractured Days Split the Sky
6 Aspects

"Home of the Island's Heart"
Spirit: Lure of the Deep Wilderness
Scenario: The Great River

"Explosive Eruption"
Spirit: Volcano Looming High
Scenario: Elemental Invocation

"Lost in the Swirling Haze"
Spirit: Shroud of Silent Mist
Scenario: Despicable Theft

"Observe the Ever-Changing World"
Spirit: Shifting Memory of Ages
Play Option: Archipelagos (multiple smaller islands)
Play Option: Including an Extra Island Board (larger islands)

"Let's See What Happens"
Spirit: Grinning Trickster Stirs Up Trouble
Play Option: Combining Two Adversaries

"Growth Begets Growth"
Spirit: Starlight Seeks Its Form
Play Option: 5-6 player support

Future Content
The Promo Pack 2 expansion is not part of Jagged Earth. It contains 2 Spirits, 1 Adversary, 2 Scenarios, 5 Aspects, and 5 Fear Cards. We hope to add Promo Pack 2 and other expansion content in the future, following Jagged Earth!

We appreciate your patience as we continue to develop expansion content for Spirit Island, and look forward to getting it into your hands soon!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

BinaryDoubts posted:

Played a few rounds of Worldbreakers: Advent of the Khanate and wanted to sing its praises here since I haven't seen a ton of attention on the game. In one sentence, it's a Magic-like card game with strong Netrunner influences, set in an alternate 13th-century Mongolia. (All images in this post are either official game art or photos uploaded to BGG by Daniel Thurot, aka SpaceBiff; CC BY-SA 3.0 DEED).

That turn structure and back-and-forth tempo, and its implications for strategy and play, sound really clever. That's the kind of thing that can take a ho-hum system to something that really twangs.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

The Eyes Have It posted:

That turn structure and back-and-forth tempo, and its implications for strategy and play, sound really clever. That's the kind of thing that can take a ho-hum system to something that really twangs.

Yeah, I read the rules and thought "OK, so far so Magic" but the back-and-forth structure really does make it feel completely unique. I also want to shout out the rulebook, which is extremely clear, as are the cards (solid templating and helper text). I work as a technical writer and it's very rare for me to read a RPG or board game rulebook and not have a million complaints about how they phrase and deliver information.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Sounds like a very good game (it's definitely going on The List) but what really appeals to me is the setting: alternate Mongolia! I really do appreciate it when games break free of the standard Elf Forest/Dwarf Mountain/Undead Swamp fantasy setting.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Azran posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1236720/view/3819676210721069553?l=english

Spirit Island's Jagged Earth expansion for the app will release on Q1 2024. But it will roll out in waves kinda like an EA title, each release having two new spirits and scenarios/game modes. All powers, events, etc. is getting added at launch.

I'm very cool with this. The Branch & Claw event pool is the real drag when I try to play digital.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Looking forward to the spirit island app being complete in 2034.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

BinaryDoubts posted:

Worldbreakers: Advent of the Khanate

worldbreakers owns. fun fact: the designer (elli amir) was the 2014 netrunner canadian nationals champion. I still want to try 8p drafting the box. thanks for the effortpost

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Worldbreakers looks extremely my poo poo and I have no idea how I missed the original KS and then the expansion KS for it given I consider myself terminally board game online.

Annoyingly I backed another MTGlike Algomancy at a similar time which looks nowhere near as cool and is riddled with AI art but does have the advantage of more players.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

BinaryDoubts posted:

I work as a technical writer and it's very rare for me to read a RPG or board game rulebook and not have a million complaints about how they phrase and deliver information.

:(:respek::(

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Elysium posted:

Amazon has SI for $44 (and other expansions on sale too) today for their Pre-Black Friday sale.

There's some really solid deals in the bunch - King's Dilemma is down to $35, and Khora (very beige, not good at 2p, but still a game I enjoy) is $23.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

JoeRules posted:

Amazon has SI for $44 (and other expansions on sale too) today for their Pre-Black Friday sale.

There's some really solid deals in the bunch - King's Dilemma is down to $35, and Khora (very beige, not good at 2p, but still a game I enjoy) is $23.

I set a price notification on camelcamelcamel that didn’t trigger, I wonder if Amazon is loving around with the listings.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Elysium posted:

I set a price notification on camelcamelcamel that didn’t trigger, I wonder if Amazon is loving around with the listings.

I know in the Frozen North up beyond the Wall my camelcamel listings for board games on Amazon are borderline waste of time because they never go on sale and when they do it's so marginal that you say, not worth it. Now about 7 years ago I had alerts popping like nuts and got poo poo like Chaos in the Old World, its expansion, Merchant of Venus, Wallenstein for hilarious prices one pre-Christmas/BFish year. Been chasing that dragon ever since.

There's also this bad boy: https://www.boardgameoracle.com/en-CA

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It actually triggered just now, so but of a delay, but at least it happened.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Meant to share this earlier: University Games and Forbidden Games File Competing Lawsuits. WEM's article contains a fairly frank and sterile description of the issue.

As always, I am not a lawyer and I am not your lawyer. However, a few things stand out to me. The University Games (Bob Moog) claim look like it was actually written by an attorney, while the Forbidden Games (Glenn Drover) is much sassier like someone with personal interest wrote it. In the thread, Dom Crapuchettes of North Star Games fame talked about getting left holding the bag when Drover's previous company went bankrupt in the past, but also mentioned that people warned about getting involved with Moog. It seems like he's just interested in this type of thing and not grinding an axe.

The weirdest part to me is Drover himself is commenting in the thread at times. My thoughts are perfectly reflected by another person who is not a lawyer who commented this:

'hahnarama' on BGG posted:

If I was part of pending litigation the first thing they would tell me, would be keep my mouth shut and not engage in public forums

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
My kids (12 and 13) were browsing today and were interested in Flamecraft and Isle of Cats.

Anyone have opinions on those games? How good they are in general, and also for kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Jimbozig posted:

My kids (12 and 13) were browsing today and were interested in Flamecraft and Isle of Cats.

Anyone have opinions on those games? How good they are in general, and also for kids?

Flamecraft only looks nice but has nothing there mechanics wise. Total dud for me I'd steer clear. 2/10

Isle of Cats is good, not sure if it'd be the kind of game I'd use to introduce non-gamer kids to board games, it's a bit too complicated for that. But it's a good spatial puzzle mixed with a card drafting, not sure how it'd be with kids tbh. I gave it 7/10.