Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Fell Mood posted:

Humanity has a death drive. And now that killing ourselves is finally within sight, it's not enough. The entire planet must cease to exist. That can do spirit is admirable, but physics is a harsh mistress. If we are very, very, lucky we might be able to create a run away Venus effect and sterilize the biosphere, but it's unlikely. Forget shattering the planet, we'll never even get close.

Paradoxically, if we would like to experience the ultimate death of the sun becoming a red dwarf and boiling the oceans, we've got to get our poo poo together now. I'm not optimistic.

I doubt the sentient Venusians managed to truly sterilise their planet way back when, there might still be some simple life there adapted to some crazy conditions, extremophile poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I doubt the sentient Venusians managed to truly sterilise their planet way back when, there might still be some simple life there adapted to some crazy conditions, extremophile poo poo

What if the purpose of sentient life is just terraforming for extremophiles? Maybe some greater intelligence really loves the little guys and wants to set up a few terrariums for them

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

looks less like a mop
because he was quite filthy
napping on birthday

Happy 16th Albie :3:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

meanwhile his little sister is jealous

she's only 13.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Did you know there's a thread for posting hosed up wolves right here in cspam

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042063

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
the movie sunshine but we send the expedition to accelerate the suns expansion rather than re-ignite it so it eats the earth before the last human dies

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

What if the purpose of sentient life is just terraforming for extremophiles? Maybe some greater intelligence really loves the little guys and wants to set up a few terrariums for them

Bdelloid Simulator

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

take a lude and chill guys, iceland volcano gonna roll us back to slightly less high temps for a year at least so we good. humanity wins again. for a year or so. youre welcome.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mdemone posted:

meanwhile his little sister is jealous

she's only 13.

time to get that nail grinder out mf’er

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Real hurthling! posted:

take a lude and chill guys, iceland volcano gonna roll us back to slightly less high temps for a year at least so we good. humanity wins again. for a year or so. youre welcome.

hmmm so you're saying we just need to find out how to trigger volcanos and I can keep driving my F950 kingcab freedom rancher limited 9/11 edition truck to the grocery store to pickup a gallon of milk and burn up a couple hundred years of solar energy to get to my insurance adjuster office job?

sounds good to me. blow 'em all

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Any word out on that yet as to whether it's projected to explode or just kinda... usually erupt

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Xaris posted:

hmmm so you're saying we just need to find out how to trigger volcanos and I can keep driving my F950 kingcab freedom rancher limited 9/11 edition truck to the grocery store to pickup a gallon of milk and burn up a couple hundred years of solar energy to get to my insurance adjuster office job?

sounds good to me. blow 'em all

How about we try putting nukes into the tectonic fault lines in the Earth? It's like pushing out a little Terran fart, no big deal

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Nix Panicus posted:

What if the extremophiles are just part of the next step, necessary for truly sentient life to one day evolve?

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
has anyone considered covering the earth in white paint

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Any word out on that yet as to whether it's projected to explode or just kinda... usually erupt

I doubt that it's going to explode, everything in that set of volcanic fields tends to be pretty effusive. It's right next to the few eruptions from the past few years. But it looks like it could be pretty big compared to those ones. I was seeing estimates on the high end of 8+km for the initial fissure. That will eventually focus down into a few cones though, and then it's just a question of how long it keeps going for. It's not going to be anything globally major afaik, but it will probably gently caress up that town and almost certainly gently caress up the blue lagoon

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

E: App posting accidentally quoted instead of editing somehow...

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Nov 11, 2023

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Icelandic fissures still ain't nothing to gently caress with. See: Skaftáreldar, aka the 1783 Laki eruption.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Together I believe we can activate the Yellowstone and Long Valley calderas.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Please join me in eradicating the vast expanses of human industrial civilization

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FFT posted:

qntm has an essay for if you absolutely have to make the Earth not count as a planet anymore that's good reading.

e: Oh wait that's the realistic one. Here's the earlier one with direct applications.

Short answer: nope

These all seem to be aimed at chunking the Earth into like, bite-sized pieces. Again, all I'm proposing here is that we rip open the Earth with a gash large enough to expose the core to vacuum, so that it cools and the planet is uninhabitable, thus ensuring no one will ever get to succeed us. I don't think that would cause it to no longer be classified as a planet.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i have been training for weeks and soon i will crack the planet in two with my mighty fist

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/09/europe/supervolcano-campi-flegrei-italy-earthquake-bradyseism-scn/index.html

quote:

‘Be prepared for all outcomes’: Inside the saga of a supervolcano that’s waking up

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Homeless Friend posted:

time to get that nail grinder out mf’er

she hates it and she's incredibly strong and she's old.

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU

VectorSigma posted:

Icelandic fissures still ain't nothing to gently caress with. See: Skaftáreldar, aka the 1783 Laki eruption.

If the disaster of East Palestine, Ohio taught me anything it's that giant toxic clouds are nothing to worry about.
:tif:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the bay of naples is gonna get doubled teamed by volcanos but think of how crispy the pizza can get in a magma fired oven

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Good news everyone: we solved the microplastic problem :toot:

bad news everyone: we now have nanoplastics and they're even worse

oops, missed the last page

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That'sa spicya volcano

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eKfxLrUMTM

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

So far in 2023 Campi Flegrei has recorded more than 3,450 earthquakes, 1,118 of which occurred in August alone.
umm?? more than 1 earthquake every hour for the entire month??

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

TACD posted:

umm?? more than 1 earthquake every hour for the entire month??

it was a bad month

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
climate satellite sucked me off!?

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

bawfuls posted:

how long before these little guys or similar evolve to actually consume nanoplastics and derive energy from them?

Nanoplastics too small for life

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

New plastic pollutant monstrosity just dropped

https://www.yahoo.com/news/researchers-horrified-discovering-mysterious-plastic-101500468.html

In a horrifying discovery, geologists have found rocks made from plastic debris on Brazil’s remote Trindade Island. The island, which serves as an important refuge for green turtles, is more than 700 miles from land. The plastic rocks are evidence of how human pollution has now influenced Earth’s geological cycles.

The geology team discovered in March that melted plastic had become intertwined with the rocks on the volcanic island, forming what they call “plastiglomerates.” By definition, a plastiglomerate is made up of rock fragments, sand grains, debris, and other organic materials welded together with once-molten plastic.

“The pollution, the garbage in the sea, and plastic dumped incorrectly in the oceans is becoming geological material … preserved in the earth’s geological records,” Fernanda Avelar Santos, a geologist at the Federal University of Parana, told Reuters.

The plastic rocks were found on a part of Trindade Island that is permanently preserved for green turtles to lay their eggs. In fact, the only inhabitants of the island are members of the Brazilian Navy, specifically there to protect the nesting turtles.

“We identified [the pollution] mainly comes from fishing nets, which is very common debris on Trindade Island’s beaches,” Santos told Reuters. “When the temperature rises, this plastic melts and becomes embedded with the beach’s natural material.”

The discovery of plastiglomerates may be a sign that the Earth is entering a new geological era — one where humans are leaving a significant and long-lasting impact on our planet. This era, as reported by the New York Times, is referred to as the Anthropocene epoch.

“Plastics and plastiglomerates might well survive as future fossils,” Jan Zalasiewicz, a geologist at the University of Leicester in England, told the New York Times. “If they are buried within [layers of rock in Earth], I don’t see why they can’t persist in some form for millions of years.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I love our blue planet

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
it owns that the next civilization to evolve on earth will be people made of plastic & garbage, building homes and cities out of our plastic trash. we have such pollutants to show you!!

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

New plastic pollutant monstrosity just dropped

https://www.yahoo.com/news/researchers-horrified-discovering-mysterious-plastic-101500468.html

In a horrifying discovery, geologists have found rocks made from plastic debris on Brazil’s remote Trindade Island. The island, which serves as an important refuge for green turtles, is more than 700 miles from land. The plastic rocks are evidence of how human pollution has now influenced Earth’s geological cycles.

The geology team discovered in March that melted plastic had become intertwined with the rocks on the volcanic island, forming what they call “plastiglomerates.” By definition, a plastiglomerate is made up of rock fragments, sand grains, debris, and other organic materials welded together with once-molten plastic.

“The pollution, the garbage in the sea, and plastic dumped incorrectly in the oceans is becoming geological material … preserved in the earth’s geological records,” Fernanda Avelar Santos, a geologist at the Federal University of Parana, told Reuters.

The plastic rocks were found on a part of Trindade Island that is permanently preserved for green turtles to lay their eggs. In fact, the only inhabitants of the island are members of the Brazilian Navy, specifically there to protect the nesting turtles.

“We identified [the pollution] mainly comes from fishing nets, which is very common debris on Trindade Island’s beaches,” Santos told Reuters. “When the temperature rises, this plastic melts and becomes embedded with the beach’s natural material.”

The discovery of plastiglomerates may be a sign that the Earth is entering a new geological era — one where humans are leaving a significant and long-lasting impact on our planet. This era, as reported by the New York Times, is referred to as the Anthropocene epoch.

“Plastics and plastiglomerates might well survive as future fossils,” Jan Zalasiewicz, a geologist at the University of Leicester in England, told the New York Times. “If they are buried within [layers of rock in Earth], I don’t see why they can’t persist in some form for millions of years.

dear lord

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

r u ready to WALK posted:

I love our blue planet

:buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mags posted:

has anyone considered covering the earth in white paint