Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nthing the praise for Flash Gordon. Good way to introduce Aura's dilemma. She's politically savvy, but still made a poor choice in the heat of the moment.

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater, in which Toar might not be as dumb as he thinks he is. (June 15, 1940)

Toar. :alllears: Reading this really drives home the fact that nuPopeye keeps introducing all these side characters, who take away screentime from the main characters, and does nothing with them.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Either this is going to be a "gotcha!" moment from Jules for tomorrow's Monday's strip, where Cherry scolds Mark for only thinking of male campers, or Jules really is that dumb and doesn't realize that Mark's declaration of starting a men's retreat in front of his wife who's increasingly pushed to her own little corner doesn't help the feeling of the comic being sexist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Bets, of course, being the woman, has no needs to be taken care of.

Gil Thorp

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Thank God Less Baby Comics

(this is actually yesterday's but who cares)

Heh!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

~so dignified~

Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

countdown to the schoolboy ranting about Woke Math

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

I
The Phantom

Diana, still a massive bitch.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Diana, still a massive bitch.

Diana is right. If some woman old enough to be my son's mother with a prophecy of doom hanging over her head came sniffing around my child I would want to keep her at arms lengh as well.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (Feburary 18-23, 2004)

Goddammit, Hugo.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Evans can go into the core of the Torment Nexus with Holbrook and Batiuk.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

Caption It!

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Evans can go into the core of the Torment Nexus with Holbrook and Batiuk.

Every day I find more reason to feel grosser and grosser about the Evanses.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Weembles posted:

Diana is right. If some woman old enough to be my son's mother with a prophecy of doom hanging over her head came sniffing around my child I would want to keep her at arms lengh as well.
Savarna's age isn't relevant because she's not hitting on Kit and isn't interested in him that way, and I feel like the implication is kind of gross. Savarna clearly thinks of the Phantom and Diana as friends (and she's into the Phantom but trying to keep it platonic bc of Diana), and I feel like her excitement at catching up with Kit isn't any sort of flirtatious but rather her being excited at how much he's grown up (since she was in jail for a long time).

Regardless, the prophecy of doom is the thing that makes it not unreasonable for Diana to be cautious, especially since a key part of it is Kit and Savarna interacting. So... shrug.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

At this point the Keane kids are managing The Family Times much better than the guy at the Centerville Old People Gazette or whatever.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Weembles posted:

Or, you know, explain the idea of self-fulfilling prophecy.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hell, take him aside and just tell him, "Savarna has serious beef with Officer Jamjugs. Don't mention his existence or she will go revenge murder him and set off a whole genocide. You don't want to know how we know, we'll just say it's Mozz with his mystical poo poo and leave it at that." Dude's supposed to be the next Phantom. I'd hope you'd be able to trust him with such an easily kept secret as that.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

gently caress off with this poo poo, Team Evans. Until the van trip, Bets has done nothing but put in the effort to keep the relationship going. She kept jumping through hoops to spend time in Gunther's room because his stepdad doesn't want her around due to racism for undisclosed reasons. Gunther just lays around like the useless lump he is and never asks her what she wants to do or offer to take her out on a nice, romantic date. Saying she needs to take care of Gunther yet again is some bullshit all right.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
that is totally Gunty's mom at the party.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I mean the reason Tiff is framing it that way is pretty obviously because Bets is crashing the party and so she can't tell Gunther to go out and talk to her without giving away the surprise, so Bets has to initiate

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Oof man, this art. I know it's just a temp, but this artist seems to be able to draw one face, and has a problem with proportions.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Strontium posted:

Dark Side Of The Horse

This has got to be an homage to Pearls before Swine. And a good one too. Even the font looks right.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 09, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Zippy The Pinhead

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

riderchop posted:

Zippy The Pinhead
Headless muffler man is what gives me most of this image but I can't find this specific example.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Strontium posted:

Dark Side Of The Horse

My mind automatically filled in the second to last panel with “Gotta move these color TVs.”

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Weembles posted:

There's a difference between being cautious and constantly throwing shade on someone.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

How are they flying kites in opposite directions with the same wind? :confused:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "378 - Jucika's Secret Way"

A door opening worthy of Boltar.

"379 - Jucika And The Last Guest"

Look at how excited Jucika is. These two know exactly what they want. :3:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

riderchop posted:

Zippy The Pinhead

The Big Duck is indeed a Long Island thing.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/11/03

I assume this is a hat-tip to the British cartoonist Steve McGarry.

Brenda Starr 1/21-23/52

Smokey Stover 12/8/57

Everyday Movies 12/15/36

"Don't bother about surprising me for Christmas, dear. Just give me what I want and that will be surprise enough."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/20-22/42

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (November 14, 1976)

Crankshaft

Finally, a relatable moment. Except instead of "thing in chest freezer", substitute "everything, everywhere, all of the time".

Thimble Theater (June 16, 1940)

Popeye

And wrapping up Skippy's Own Book Of Comics.

And that's a wrap for the very first modern-style comic book dedicated to a single character. If you'd like a copy of you very own, grab a quarter and hop in your drat time machine.

And if you do, tell me how that toothpaste tastes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

And if you do, tell me how that toothpaste tastes.

The ad says it tastes "like peppermint candy". Which I suppose just means it's mint-flavored, but I can't say I've ever really thought of toothpaste as tasting like candy. Feels like it would defeat the purpose somehow.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

FoxTrot

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

fuuuuuucccckkkkkkkk offfffffff

This could be a really sweet moment if it had come at like, the end of a big harrowing adventure that threatened to tear them apart. Maybe they discovered some uncharted island kingdom and the prince there tried to seduce Olive away. Maybe if something happened at all!

But since literally all these people do now is walk around town and talk about their feelings, this is just... more of that.

PUNCH SOMETHING IN THE HEAD, GODDAMMIT.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Alhazred posted:

There's a difference between being cautious and constantly throwing shade on someone.

Diana the UN official and Savarna the murder-tornado are polar opposites. It's fun to watch the uptight character stew over the carefree one and it's fun to watch everyone tiptoe around a curse which may or may not be real.

If the two of them were nothing but hugs and sweetness if would not only be contrary to the scenario, it would be boring. There would be no dramatic tension and nothing for the story to resolve later in the plot.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

what

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009