Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

notaspy posted:

Bit of a mood whiplash there.

Going from fine British values into vile far left propaganda.

James Blunt aint that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

It's alright dancers have no sense of touch so they can't detect it.
They can simply retrain in cyber if they don't like it :colbert:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
couldn't make the march, but great to hear it was a roaring success. Wonder why the 'silent majority' who love Israel and hate Wokery can only muster a few hundred football hooligans Vs hundreds of thousands of people on the correct side?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Turns out the True Patriotic Freedom Loving Brits are a bunch of piss-soaked Stone Island clad knuckle dragging gammons. Who could have guessed?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

couldn't make the march, but great to hear it was a roaring success. Wonder why the 'silent majority' who love Israel and hate Wokery can only muster a few hundred football hooligans Vs hundreds of thousands of people on the correct side?

Taking to the streets to make themselves heard would break their vow of silence.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Pistol_Pete posted:

300,000 leftwing antisemites courtesy of Jeremy 'Adolf' Corbyn. Read more in my opinion column

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Needs more Steve McFadden

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

happyhippy posted:

James Blunt aint that bad.

If you're thinking of that your beautiful song he didn't sing about you personally, specifically you know

e: I mean I'm not saying you aren't, I'm sure you are.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
He did that Monsters song that allowed me to have a really good cathartic weep when I was feeling sad about my dad dying so he's okay by me

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

james blunt is a lovely lad

probably buys his poppy though if that upsets people

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
possibly the most :britain::britain::britain: thing i’ve ever read

quote:

Never has the Cenotaph, in its 103 years of standing sentry on Whitehall, been “defended” on Armistice Day by a Port Vale fan supping a can of Stella Artois.

“I’m here in case the jihadists get past the police, who’ll probably just let them through anyway,” said Ben Neale, 22, from Tunstall, Staffordshire. “If they do come, they’ll soon wish they hadn’t.”

As it transpired, it was some of his fellow football supporters, backed aggressively by elements of the far right, who broke violently through police lines, toppling over metal barricades, throwing missiles and temporarily forcing officers back as they surged towards the Cenotaph on the anniversary of the end of the first world war.

Many stated explicitly that they had travelled to Whitehall because of comments made by the home secretary, Suella Braverman, who, days earlier, had claimed that police treated football supporters – such as Neale – unfavourably compared to “politically connected minority groups”. “She’s the only one making any sense at the minute. We’re sleepwalking into a race war,” said a middle-aged man who said he was a Sunderland fan but did not want to be named. “Armistice is our day!” he added.

“It’s getting ridiculous, them taking our streets, attacking the Cenotaph,” said another man, a black scarf covering the lower part of his face.

Who’s them? “The Palestinian mob,” he added, echoing the words of Braverman who had also alleged that the police were too soft on “pro-Palestinian mobs”.

As several dozen people scuffled with baton-wielding police during the countdown to the two-minute silence at 11am, the crowd increasingly felt like a hardcore football following at an away game.

Middlesbrough, Rangers and Nottingham Forest flags fluttered in the clear sky. Large numbers wore balaclavas and were clad entirely in black: the street wear of the ultra. Many were drinking heavily. Moments before the silence to remember those lost in conflict, a fug of cannabis smoke drifted above the crowd.

Broken briefly by a police helicopter, the silence itself concluded with polite applause and chants of “Ingerland, Ingerland.”

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

like its a massive minority. Its 200 morons getting themselves half arrested and kier and the government. Nobody else. It isn't what britain thinks so dont say it is.

are Middlesbrough and Nottingham particularly more racist than anywhere else?

we should ban cannabis though as its clearly a racist drug.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I mean boro is a bit of a hellscape with a reputation

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i suppose their most forums famous son

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Apraxin posted:

possibly the most :britain::britain::britain: thing i’ve ever read

A Rangers flag? At a far right rally? Surely some mistake!

Pistol_Pete posted:

More would have turned up, but it was Saturday afternoon so they were watching Millwall

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DiscoWitch posted:

I mean boro is a bit of a hellscape with a reputation

I don't know that we are especially more racist than anywhere else, but I can see why you might want to go to london and have a bit of street violence as a sort of holiday from being here.

Also as a distraction from boro's actual football performance weyyyyyyy

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know that we are especially more racist than anywhere else, but I can see why you might want to go to london and have a bit of street violence as a sort of holiday from being here.

Also as a distraction from boro's actual football performance weyyyyyyy

I'm from the other side of Durham to boro so :v: I mean not that North Durham can talk much but eh British tribalism lmao

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
James Blunt, backed by Michael Jackson, prevented WW3.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Nenonen posted:

I hate that I know this.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

backed by a paedo, classic idiot king behaviour

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nenonen posted:

Do tell.

James Blunt is a good follow on twitter.

Meanwhile, I missed this, UK vote on illegal settlements: amazed they didn't follow US or abstain. I'm expecting someone to tell me it's a mistake.

Ed:
I think this is old https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/28/uks-key-role-in-brokering-un-resolution-on-israeli-settlements-confirmed

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 12, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

During the Yugoslav Wars a US general ordered him to attack Russian troops and he told them to gently caress off https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11753050

His commanding officer backed him up and world peace was achieved. Very temporarily.

But yes I like James Blunt and my impression is people who hate him only do so because it was a popular "anti-mainstream" position that ended up becoming the mainstream position entirely driven by people who think that you're only allowed to listen to hip-hop OR rock music.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

people who think that you're only allowed to listen to hip-hop OR rock music.

This is true. I listened to RATM once and died

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

During the Yugoslav Wars a US general ordered him to attack Russian troops and he told them to gently caress off https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11753050

His commanding officer backed him up and world peace was achieved. Very temporarily.

But yes I like James Blunt and my impression is people who hate him only do so because it was a popular "anti-mainstream" position that ended up becoming the mainstream position entirely driven by people who think that you're only allowed to listen to hip-hop OR rock music.

Or because You're Beautiful was an insipid little song that was impossible to avoid for what felt like years.

Nenonen posted:

You say that like avoiding the end of humanity (or postponing it anyway)was a good thing

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Or because You're Beautiful was an insipid little song that was impossible to avoid for what felt like years.

Being fair, a thing that he himself decries and admits that he'd hate him too if subjected to it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yawn

i'll be hanging out with james blunt on his tropical island doing trolling tweets.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do tell.

James Blunt is a good follow on twitter.

Meanwhile, I missed this, UK vote on illegal settlements: amazed they didn't follow US or abstain. I'm expecting someone to tell me it's a mistake.

gently caress up, canada

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

canada in a span of about 3 months have honoured a member of the waffen SS and supported israeli settlements in palestine, really makes you think.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

canada in a span of about 3 months have honoured a member of the waffen SS and supported israeli settlements in palestine

so it's impossible to say if they're good or bad

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

You say that like avoiding the end of humanity (or postponing it anyway)was a good thing

I'm not saying that it was a good or a bad thing.

Just a thing he did so that You're Beautiful could become a global hit one day.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

After some googling I believe this is an old vote not a recent one.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/28/uks-key-role-in-brokering-un-resolution-on-israeli-settlements-confirmed

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

For whatever reason, General Sir Michael Jackson, GCB, CBE, DSO, DL, wanted to be called 'Mike' at the time.

My favourite Michael Jackson though had no such qualms, fortunately! :cheers:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sunderland was mentioned a few times, and they seem pretty racist but then I was born a geordie so I'm racist* against them.

*speciesist.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Despite where I grew up literally having a community operated policing program to protect minorities from getting attacked (because the real police were rubbish), when I used to go to Middlesbrough as a teenager, which I did pretty frequently, I was often gobsmacked at the amount of casual racism. This was 15 years ago though :corsair:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

If you're thinking of that your beautiful song he didn't sing about you personally, specifically you know

e: I mean I'm not saying you aren't, I'm sure you are.

https://twitter.com/JamesBlunt/status/1102642930207113216

There is only one true Keith.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just noticing on the Guardian opinion pages, the ever-growing range of subjects on which comments are not permitted. There's a "Comment is Free, hey? :smug:" joke in there somewhere, but it's too early in the morning for me to think of it right now.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Tesseraction posted:

so it's impossible to say if they're good or bad

The answer, of course, lies somewhere in the middle.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just noticing on the Guardian opinion pages, the ever-growing range of subjects on which comments are not permitted. There's a "Comment is Free, hey? :smug:" joke in there somewhere, but it's too early in the morning for me to think of it right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Gonna break a years long run of silent lurking to say Teesside has actually surprised me with its support for Palestine recently. I trvalled down to the London march both yesterday and two weeks ago and there were a fair few protestors on the same trains as me.

We also had a march in Boro last weekend with a couple of thousand attendees, which for a town that doesnt really do large scale activism, was at least a little heartwarming.

E: Also before I shut up again for years, the London march was amazing. The only "trouble" I saw was a pub in Pimlico (I think) on the route that was surrounded by police, turns out they'd barricaded a bunch of fash in there after they had to get to the protest.

It was also hilarious to see two lads walking againt the flow of Vauxhall Bridge displaying a Union Flag desperately hoping to get a rise out of people only to be flatly ignored.

N3RDSTER fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 12, 2023