Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My brain was on the whole time during malignant. Perfect film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

At some point while watching Malignant, I think during the Dairy Tank scene, me and my partner started giving Gabriel a voice not unlike Uter from the Simpsons and it made the movie all the more funny and memorable. It helped the movie itself click. What a great, weird and goopy time.

Also, yeah, Murder Party is a blast. Great jokes especially if you know the kind of people it's satirizing and incredible gore. My only problem with it is that I hate the "throwing the pills away" cliche but it's so minor compared to how fun and low budget and clever it is otherwise.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I noticed the new Hell House llc has good reviews. As someone who remembers enjoying the first one, but forgot everything about it. Is it worth just watching the new one? Should I rewatch the original? Were the other 2 sequels worth watching at all?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I noticed the new Hell House llc has good reviews. As someone who remembers enjoying the first one, but forgot everything about it. Is it worth just watching the new one? Should I rewatch the original? Were the other 2 sequels worth watching at all?

Yeah sure. HHLLC2 was meh, HHLLC3 was bad, this 'prequel' was pretty OK!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

You can watch the new hell house without seeing the original, the connection is not really relevant. It exists, don't get me wrong, but it's more of a case of knowing that "this thing was in the original location means danger".

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I've seen the first and the second was on in the background one day and didn't feel like I was missing anything for the new movie.
There's some kind of lore in there for the big fans but it's not like it continues a story.
Also, it kinda felt like the worst found footage tropes to me. A whole lot of tension that didn't pay off.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The one thing Hell House LLC series does well is tension through a camera slowly going around the corner. If you like that, all four films are great. If you're looking for more than that I dunno.

The first Hell House LLC has some good doom implications. The second two are identical but you can't really fault horror directors with some budgets they're given. The fourth one is more of a character driven film which I think it does pretty well. The lore was unneeded and it's not packed with scares but the three main characters are all pretty interesting.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I did laugh pretty good when they went to the antique shop that had hell house stuff and there was the guys wine among the items.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked the first Hell House ok, skipped the two sequels, and was kinda just bored by the newest one.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Ive been meaning to watch Idle Hands again lately, I believe that is a horror comedy
yeah, it's such a movie of its time...Devon Sawa fighing an evil hand and trying to get it high, Offspring cameo...pretty fun

Doltos posted:

What's some solid horror comedies?

Evil Dead series, Final Girls, Cabin in the Woods, Drag Me To Hell I guess, Psycho Goreman, Bodies Bodies Bodies, Happy Death Day I and II, Slither, Vicious Fun, Edgar Wright's trilogy, Get Out, Frankenhooker, From Beyond, Renfield, The Voices, Bubba Ho-Tep, Tremors, Gremlins, Critters, Behind the Mask, One Cut of the Dead, Tucker and Dale vs Evil, American Werewolf in London, What We Do In The Shadows.

What are some that I missed?
all time favorite, imo the goat, Takashi Miike's The Happiness of the Katakuris. also my favorite musical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoXo1cERFmk

honestly anyone itt who hasn't seen The Happiness of the Katakuris yet, loving watch that poo poo. so great. one of my favorite movies of all time, probably on Tubi rn

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm honestly surprised I didn't see Braindead (Dead Alive) mentioned for great horror-comedies.

Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles probably count as well.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Outwaters isn’t a comedy at all, but I’ve felt giddy for days after having watched it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed Hell House LLC a lot but I was always skeptical of any sequels. It feels very self contained, doesn’t need much more.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I liked the first Hell House. The next two were just meh. I think it's because I don't like when a supernatural antagonist feels the need to explain their scheme.
I think I'm going to watch Mama again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The second and third Hell Houses get bogged down in too much goofy lore. And maybe a desire to try and make up for some of the flaws or unsatisfying compromises made in that one. But the new film really mostly just gets back to basics and is just a scary film. There’s lore but it’s balanced much better. I honestly think it’s the directors best film. He’s using the same tools he did in the previous films but I think he’s got a better mastery of them than he did in the first film.

Not only did I like it but it genuinely got under my skin and scared me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was pretty fun and spooky but it had some of the dumbest horror movie protagonists I’ve seen in a while.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They were true crime podcasters. Of course they were dumb.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I can’t find any details for when the next episode of Chucky is coming but it won’t be until next year? Fuuuuck. Really good season so far.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Also, yeah, Murder Party is a blast. Great jokes especially if you know the kind of people it's satirizing and incredible gore. My only problem with it is that I hate the "throwing the pills away" cliche but it's so minor compared to how fun and low budget and clever it is otherwise.

My first watch of Murder Party, it wasn't working for me. But when I gave it a second chance in a horror thread streaming, it clicked so much better.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Hausu Usher posted:

I can’t find any details for when the next episode of Chucky is coming but it won’t be until next year? Fuuuuck. Really good season so far.

Yeah, production on the second half of the season was ongoing and halted when the strikes happened; there wasn't much more left to do, and that's why they decided to just air the first half of the season as is since it was already all in the tank, and had promotion airing for it, rather than push everything off another year abruptly https://screenrant.com/chucky-season-3-part-2-release-update-creator/

Strikes are over now, so back to work soon

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Also, yeah, Murder Party is a blast. Great jokes especially if you know the kind of people it's satirizing

I was living in Williamsburg the first time I saw it and I have to admit I marked out a bit when I saw him getting off the L train at Bedford Avenue. It's his most uneven movie, but it's still a lot of fun.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Murder Party has one of the best constructed gags I've ever seen in a movie, where he looks around the closet at all the potentially lethal stuff he could Macgyver together into a weapon, then it cuts to him busting out of the closet and just sort of chucking it lazily towards the murderers while he stumbles away. I think of that scene all the time.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

veni veni veni posted:

It was pretty fun and spooky but it had some of the dumbest horror movie protagonists I’ve seen in a while.

The girlfriend was smart, the main crime podcaster was stupid, selfish, and unbelievably frustrating. I'm pretty sure it was by design to show abusive relationships but I dunno with Hell House

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Have you seen Moloch? I watched Moloch, it was very entertaining.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I may have missed it but Shawn of the Dead for horror comedy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If you have a slide whistle on hand then any horror movie is a horror comedy.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
All bad practical and special effects, actors, directing, and scripts instantly turns a horror into a comedy horror

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

Chopper Chicks in Zombietown is the only movie I can name with slide whistle as a prominent element of the soundtrack.

It also has Billy Bob Thorton in it.

This has been my thoughts on slide whistles.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hollismason posted:

"Oh God, it's Eric! His intestines have been pulled out through his stomach!"

*Sad trombone*

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just imagine the end of Henry but when he dumps the suitcase on the side of the road its the musical queue from when you lose on The Price is Right.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's a pretty good horror game called Killer Frequency that came out earlier where you play a radio DJ trying to keep people from getting killed during a murder spree. You get access to a soundboard and you better believe I played slide whistles and sad trombones at each and every death

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Opopanax posted:

There's a pretty good horror game called Killer Frequency that came out earlier where you play a radio DJ trying to keep people from getting killed during a murder spree. You get access to a soundboard and you better believe I played slide whistles and sad trombones at each and every death

Probably my biggest disappointment with that game was that they didn't have any of the other characters acknowledge my shenanigans. Just having my partner comment, "Really, another slide whistle." or "drat that's cold." or something would have been incredible.

And I refuse to believe that we were the only ones doing that - it had to have come up in early playtesting.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ho ho ho, Art's back.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1724095676311650370

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Glad it exists for those who enjoy it, but I'm really not looking forward to more marketing that boils down to "I was puking my guts out during the whole movie, bring a barf bag for this one!"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Opopanax posted:

I had a brand deal for this game that I just spent the entire time bitching that the game was slow and the girl behind the plexiglass was annoying and I got a stern talking to

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Outwaters isn’t a comedy at all, but I’ve felt giddy for days after having watched it.

Do tell!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tom Atkins is 88 today and nobody mentioned it? Shame on you all.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Jedit posted:

Tom Atkins is 88 today and nobody mentioned it? Shame on you all.

My wife and I met him back in April at a local convention. He was incredibly nice and signed our Creepshow poster with "Stop Reading This Crap!"

He's coming back this summer for Living Dead Weekend's Creepshow / Night of the Creeps Creepyear: https://www.thelivingdeadweekend.com/monroeville/

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

A Fancy Hat posted:

Glad it exists for those who enjoy it, but I'm really not looking forward to more marketing that boils down to "I was puking my guts out during the whole movie, bring a barf bag for this one!"

Using how it was at my theater for the last one, it's going to be a steady stream of under 21 without ID or under 17s trying to sneak in. Didn't have too many vomit, but we had enough to know it sucks having to clean it out of the carpet.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
a while back people were talking about getting scared by horror movies. I don't get scared very often but once in a while something will get under my skin and give me the willies, usually found footage of people in isolated places.

What I like about these times is the afterglow when the movie is over, when I can sit in a darkened room and enjoy the residual spookiness. It's a mood I enjoy and it takes a scary movie to put me there. I watched the new Hell House movie last night and it gave me the creeps and afterwards I sat there and basked in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A Fancy Hat posted:

Gore rules