Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Now that I'm hearing that, I'm not particularly excited to play GUNHEAD anymore.
Cryptark is loving amazing but I don't feel like the perspective shift would improve my experience of it for me to want to play the exact same game but from first-person instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Speaking of Heat Signature, was it actually any good? I picked it up on sale maybe six months ago and it felt awful. Like the easy levels were ultra-repetitive and boring and the harder ones were just tedious, obnoxious slog puzzles I didn't care to plan my way though. I could honestly believe I was missing an entire set of gameplay mechanics or something, it really felt like there was just nothing there and very little to do.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack Trades posted:

Now that I'm hearing that, I'm not particularly excited to play GUNHEAD anymore.
Cryptark is loving amazing but I don't feel like the perspective shift would improve my experience of it for me to want to play the exact same game but from first-person instead.

Yeah, I played the gunhead demo and it really is Cryptark in 3d

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Heat Signature is loving incredible but I wouldn't call it...uhhh..."wide appeal".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its a sandbox space kidnap/murder/heist game. It's limited as much as your imagination is. Also your friends and their gear can turn up in your game.

Play the game anyway you want. Infiltrate the enemy ship and stealth your way through. Murder everyone on board in a bloody gunfight. Start a gunfight then use a swapperporter to teleport your target to where you were, i.e. in the center of a cloud of bullets. Blow your target into space. Blow your target up with a nuke. Blow yourself into space for a quick exit. Hijack a completely unrelated ship and use it to blast your target's ship into bits. Get captured, then play as a new character while your steam friends get to point and laugh as your character shows up in their games as a rescue target. etc

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

I think Heat Signature suffers a lot from that maxim of "Gamers will always optimise the fun out of games". It's a game that's at it's best when you aren't playing it as efficiently as possible, and is often really simple and repetitive if you do. I wish I was able to enjoy it more than i did.

(As an aside, I've been enjoying the Heat Signatire dev's writing on games since well before he was making games, and I still think he writes some really interesting stuff on game design on his blog https://www.pentadact.com/ or in slightly rambly youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/@Pentadact/videos. Very intersting stuff for someone who keeps trying and failing to make games...)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I kinda lost interest in Gunhead because there's too much poo poo to buy and I have no idea what upgrades are worth unlocking.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Is anyone else playing Colony Ship? I just started it and it’s so good, exactly what I’d want in a modern crpg.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Synthbuttrange posted:

its a sandbox space kidnap/murder/heist game. It's limited as much as your imagination is. Also your friends and their gear can turn up in your game.

Play the game anyway you want. Infiltrate the enemy ship and stealth your way through. Murder everyone on board in a bloody gunfight. Start a gunfight then use a swapperporter to teleport your target to where you were, i.e. in the center of a cloud of bullets. Blow your target into space. Blow your target up with a nuke. Blow yourself into space for a quick exit. Hijack a completely unrelated ship and use it to blast your target's ship into bits. Get captured, then play as a new character while your steam friends get to point and laugh as your character shows up in their games as a rescue target. etc

Do you have to play a bunch to unlock options or something? Or a big execution wall you have to grind past? Because my experience felt the opposite, I was constantly wishing I could do something cool but feeling like the developer worked hard to keep me from utilizing any of the theoretical options I might have that weren't carefully executing some sort of intended puzzle solution. Everything else was just suicide and throwing away what little progress I made.

Maybe not having any friends that played it hurt? Is the social direct a big deal?

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 11, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rage McDougal posted:

I think Heat Signature suffers a lot from that maxim of "Gamers will always optimise the fun out of games". It's a game that's at it's best when you aren't playing it as efficiently as possible, and is often really simple and repetitive if you do. I wish I was able to enjoy it more than i did.

I think Heat Signature is actually pretty good at not letting you stick to the same strategy every time.
Once you progress a little the game starts throwing different conditions and security systems at you that counter whatever possible strategy you might be trying to stick to.

Having to improvise creative solutions under time pressure is the best parts of that game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does Gunhead have all the ludicrous weapons Cryptark did?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Void Rains Upon Her Heart released a new update and it's pretty sizeable:

quote:

New game mode, The Towers!
3 new entire types of gifts!
13 new battle songs
47 new dreams to fulfill
There is a new tutorial scene that explains the special combo rules for shy battles

Thanks to everyone who recommended this game to me. I don't care a single bit for its presentation or what it's going for thematically but the gameplay and variety is so good I can easily look past it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mordja posted:

Does Gunhead have all the ludicrous weapons Cryptark did?

I think there are about 70 or 80 different weapons in the game?

For my winning run against "The Kraken" i just strapped on 4 different flavors of heavy machine gun and held all the fire buttons at once lol

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256978586/movie480_vp9.webm
For fans of throwback cRPGs, Colony Ship was released a couple of days ago. By the developers of Age of Decadence. Another example of the enduring indie niche for isometric Fallout-likes. I've only played the demo, but compared to the typical Eurojank of the genre, the writing is a step up and there is very little jankiness. It's basically a labor of love, the game has been in development for 9 years. They've dumped the weird bespoke engine they used for AoD, so on a technical level Colony Ship is much smoother, with better graphics and performance.

It's for a pretty niche audience of hardcore cRPG fans, those who love elaborate character sheets and turn-based combat. But I know some of those folks are here, so it's worth a mention. If you have any experience with Age of Decadence, you'll have a good idea of what this game is. Though it's worth taking into account Colony Ship looks to be a nice improvement on AoD.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Azran posted:

I don't care a single bit for its presentation or what it's going for thematically

I still love you, bad takes and all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rebel Blob posted:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256978586/movie480_vp9.webm
For fans of throwback cRPGs, Colony Ship was released a couple of days ago. By the developers of Age of Decadence. Another example of the enduring indie niche for isometric Fallout-likes. I've only played the demo, but compared to the typical Eurojank of the genre, the writing is a step up and there is very little jankiness. It's basically a labor of love, the game has been in development for 9 years. They've dumped the weird bespoke engine they used for AoD, so on a technical level Colony Ship is much smoother, with better graphics and performance.

It's for a pretty niche audience of hardcore cRPG fans, those who love elaborate character sheets and turn-based combat. But I know some of those folks are here, so it's worth a mention. If you have any experience with Age of Decadence, you'll have a good idea of what this game is. Though it's worth taking into account Colony Ship looks to be a nice improvement on AoD.

I'll have to give the demo a whirl. It looks neat but Age of Decadence was really ball-bustingly hard for me. Glad they put out a demo so people like me can try it out and see if it breaks the tolerance for trial and error gameplay.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It seemed more standard rpg when I played an earlier version.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Oh cool.

Rebel Blob posted:

By the developers of Age of Decadence.

Oh no.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Jimbot posted:

I'll have to give the demo a whirl. It looks neat but Age of Decadence was really ball-bustingly hard for me. Glad they put out a demo so people like me can try it out and see if it breaks the tolerance for trial and error gameplay.
This time around the developers have included an easier difficulty mode and there is a party system, so Colony Ship is far less dependent on building the perfect character before you even understand how the game works like AoD demanded.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Yeah. I'm a veteran CRPG player so Age of Decadence should be right up my alley, but I'm not particularly mechanically or tactically adept, so the fact that it's apparently so difficult has kept me from buying it. Shame, because the setting seems very interesting.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I beat Legends of Amberland today and am eagerly anticipating the sequel in December. Just a fun streamlined throwback to Might and Magic 3-5. Works great on a steam deck too!

It’s not as good as those games, but it’s probably the best clone of them that I’ve found.

Only note was that it was very easy on normal mode, so I might be stepping the difficulty up in 2.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah. I'm a veteran CRPG player so Age of Decadence should be right up my alley, but I'm not particularly mechanically or tactically adept, so the fact that it's apparently so difficult has kept me from buying it. Shame, because the setting seems very interesting.

Good news, Colony Ship have easy mode.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 11, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Age of Decadence isn't hard so much as the game is basically non-stop instadeath stat checks from start to end. If you're really interested in the setting just use something that'll tell you what stats you need for your choices.

Not that I think the setting is really all that worth it. Aside from the uniqueness of being kind of a Roman-esque fantasy setting it's got a lot of White Dudes Writing Fantasy going on.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 11, 2023

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

off the top of my head, theres Verdun and Isonzo. Havent played them, but they seem to be a more realistic take on WWI if thats what youre looking for

Isonzo is free this weekend through Monday on Steam. On sale for $10.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Orv posted:

Age of Decadence isn't hard so much as the game is basically non-stop instadeath stat checks from start to end. If you're really interested in the setting just use something that'll tell you what stats you need for your choices.

Not that I think the setting is really all that worth it. Aside from the uniqueness of being kind of a Roman-esque fantasy setting it's got a lot of White Dudes Writing Fantasy going on.

The setting is cool and interesting but without a min-max playthrough that requires savescumming literally every time there's a chance based outcome you won't even see the actual interesting parts. Play as a warrior, all you get to do is gladiator fights, some minor guild intrigue, game over. Play as a merchant, talk your way through to an ending, any combat at all will kill you.

It was designed like a roguelike, instant fail difficulty, but without literally any of the benefits of most roguelikes so it's best played as a consequence free visual novel.

Their insane leveling and numbers system was so broken that certain things don't actually work, I believe dodge or some similar defense stat never got fixed and is actually useless despite the game telling certain classes to take it.

You could play the game with a social character and get some enjoyment out of it, otherwise you need to play as a hybrid class to see everything, the aforementioned savescumming being vital to achieving it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's a guide to getting PC Gamepass for ~$2/month

Step 1:
On a Gamepass account that is not currently subscribed to Gamepass, select a game that's available on Gamepass and click the "Play with Gamepass" button:

Step 2:
You get offered a 14 day trial for $1:

Step 3:
After subscribing, cancel your subscription so it doesn't renew for $9.99/month. Once your subscription expires, you can do this again to get another $1 14-day trial.

I've been doing this for 3 months in a row and still only pay $1 each time :toot: As far as I know, you have to use this specific method to subscribe in order to get the deal. It maybe only works if you select a recently added game? I don't know.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Grim Dawn's not just getting a new expansion in 2024, it's also getting a pretty great patch on November 16th.

* You can now play up to level cap on Normal if you wish (you used to be forced to play through all three difficulties consecutively, like in Diablo 2), since areas now scale up to 100.
* Monster-specific unique items are guaranteed drops
* You get access to both higher difficulties on that character as soon as you beat the final boss
* If you complete a quest that gives skill points as a reward in a higher difficulty without completing it in the previous difficulties, you get the rewards for all versions of the quest
* Dash action added as a baseline for all characters, regardless of class. It has i-frames.
* Between 30-60% less item drops, made up by greatly increased drop quality and money.
* Health and Mana potions removed from the game, they're now a baseline skill that does not takes up any inventory space.
* Toggled buffs don't need to be manually activated and have no upkeep.
* Improved mod tools.
* Hard crowd control skills removed from a lot of non-boss monsters.
* Like a thousand more itemization and balance changes.

:stare: This might be the biggest instance of genre modernization I've ever seen happen to a game, especially this long after release. Can't wait for the expansion.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Azran posted:

Grim Dawn's not just getting a new expansion in 2024, it's also getting a pretty great patch on November 16th.

These all sound great and I put Grim Dawn on my wishlist! Does it play good with controller support? I've reached the point in my life where a million clicks is not great for my hand/wrist so I try to play all games on pad/stick if I can.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Did Grim Dawn ever unfuck the co-op? Only letting one person read NPC dialogue and the others missing out on it forever was monumentally stupid.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The thing with Age of Decadence is not exactly that its hard but a character built for a specific purpose should only attempt to do that thing. If you make a smooth talking merchant guy and a bandit tries to mug you, that bandit will murder you if you try to fight back instead of just paying him off. A super fighter man will probably never be able to peacefully resolve a situation etc. Theres edge cases and some tricks you can do but there isn't a lot of choice in the path you pick.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Azran posted:

* You can now play up to level cap on Normal if you wish (you used to be forced to play through all three difficulties consecutively, like in Diablo 2), since areas now scale up to 100.
* You get access to both higher difficulties on that character as soon as you beat the final boss
* If you complete a quest that gives skill points as a reward in a higher difficulty without completing it in the previous difficulties, you get the rewards for all versions of the quest
* Dash action added as a baseline for all characters, regardless of class. It has i-frames.
* Between 30-60% less item drops, made up by greatly increased drop quality and money.
* Health and Mana potions removed from the game, they're now a baseline skill that does not takes up any inventory space.
* Improved mod tools.

:stare: This might be the biggest instance of genre modernization I've ever seen happen to a game, especially this long after release. Can't wait for the expansion.

huh I thought the huge update and new expansion would be because their latest game flopped but checking it out, no it's a pretty big hit!

edit: maybe it's to remind people the new game exists, sure worked for me! (But I'm not interested in town builders)

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 12, 2023

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Artelier posted:

These all sound great and I put Grim Dawn on my wishlist! Does it play good with controller support? I've reached the point in my life where a million clicks is not great for my hand/wrist so I try to play all games on pad/stick if I can.

Most of my playtime was on the Deck. Controller support is fine, and I suspect about to get better with the upcoming changes to buffs no longer needing to be toggled, as that frees up buttons.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fez_machine posted:

huh I thought the huge update and new expansion would be because their latest game flopped but checking it out, no it's a pretty big hit!

edit: maybe it's to remind people the new game exists, sure worked for me! (But I'm not interested in town builders)

What's their new one?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

sebmojo posted:

What's their new one?

Farthest Frontier
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1044720/Farthest_Frontier/

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Nyaa posted:

Good news, Colony Ship have easy mode.

Argh I hate there only being two choices. I need an Easy / Medium / Hard. I refuse to play on easy because I feel like a real weiner

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Azran posted:

[...]

Sounds crazy. I bought Grim Dawn a while ago but haven't gotten around to it. Now I'm downloading Grim Dawn and turning off updates so I can play it before the changes and be able to compare the experience. Should be pretty interesting (to me anyway).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grim dawn is a vg Diablo like

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Azran posted:

I've been looking forward to this. Last Epoch is fun, but it's also good to go back to the old reliable. Still undecided on which class to pick.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I had Star Control Origins from a bundle ages ago and finally spent some time playing it. I was prejudiced against it for being from Stardock and all the nonsense that went on with the old devs. Still, I wanted to give it a try.

The writing is pretty stiff. It's not terrible, but I haven't been particularly engaged by anything. SC2 had plenty of humor, but it feels more obvious and constant here. Maybe I just haven't encountered the areas where it has more depth. Similarly, the art isn't bad, but it feels cheap kinda like a mobile game. Its cartoony but the lack of detail feels less like a style choice.

The real problem is the gameplay. It's very authentic to the old game! Which surprisingly feels not great. Somehow high-resolution 3D models decades later with the exact same gameplay feels weird. No mouse aiming with choppy steering is still very stiff and it's tough to hit anything. That was definitely part of SC2 but it feels more annoying here. I haven't been enjoying the combat. One of the few changes they made to combat is that instead of the 'arena' being endless its now bounded by immovable asteroids. I honestly don't know if that's better or worse. Sometimes you could get into endless fights where you were chasing a nimbler foe who was sniping you, but that's still a problem here except occasionally you smack into a wall when you forget.

Also, exploring planets for resources sucks like every other game that has ever tried it. It's sucks less than some of the shittier versions, but that isn't saying much.

Anyone played through this game and can say it gets better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Azran posted:

* Improved mod tools.

:drat: Those are some amazing QoL tweaks.