Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Pirate Radar posted:

Is it illegal to haunt the local Forrest in a creature costume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for not wanting to change my unborn child’s name?

quote:

My husband and I have loved the name Mary Mason (go by Mason) for a girl for years. He actually said something about it during our first dance. When we found out we were pregnant, we of course thought that name for a girl. We found out it’s a girl a few weeks ago and he immediately started telling people her name. I asked him to not share it right now because I wanted to wait a little longer because people always seems to have something to say, but he was happy so told everyone. My moms name is Mary Melissa but she goes by Melissa so he thought that was why I liked the name but honestly just love the name. Now a lady he works with is suggesting he change the name to Macyn to be named after his mom who past a year ago (her name was Cindy short for Cynthia). I have never liked alternate spelling of names and he knew this from previous discussions so when he brought it up I didn’t really know what to say other than I don’t like that spelling and now he’s mad at me and just wants a completely different name if he can’t get his spelling. So AITA for not wanting to change the name?

Sorry honey, some rando wants us to change it to something dumb, nothing we can do about it :shrug:

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

And now, some content about the other thing that has majorly hosed up my life (post is not mine):

AITAH for insinuating my BFs Mom is too smart for religion?

I like the term "brozo"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

In America it's legal but you'll get shot. In England they'll need to procure a Gimping license

Yeah, this one was scary for a moment until they said England. Do fox hunters (or whatever they hunt in england these days) use trail cameras? Those can be pretty high resolution so this "plan" might result in some hilarious photos of an obvious doofus in a costume.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

sullat posted:

What's the appropriate amount to gift an niece or nephew these days, anyway?

$100 or a hand-crocheted vest, your call.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Is my friend the rear end in a top hat for leaving his ex girlfriends extended family group chat with the Homer Simpson disappearing meme

quote:

My friend and his gf recently broke up a few weeks ago. Yesterday he started getting notifications from her extended family group chat with 20 people in it about thanksgiving plans. He felt uncomfortable for still being in this chat so he sent the Homer Simpson backing into the bushes meme and left it. His ex gf was not pleased. We think it’s objectively funny and probably funny to the people in the group chat. Is my friend TA?

highest rating response posted:

Nta. Also lol.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA For not knowing an interracial couple?

quote:

I work at a supermarket. Not a big one, just a small one. I saw an Asian man walk in, and then two seconds later I saw another Asian woman and a black guy right behind her. When I saw the Asian guy, I thought he and the Asian girl were together, because they both came in behind each other. So at this point I am assuming they are a couple. It's just common sense.

The Asian girl walks up to me at the register with her groceries and tells me that her husband is coming with his bank card. So I shouted out to the Asian guy "Hey you! Your wife is waiting!" She tells me "Why are you yelling at him? That's not my husband." I asked her where her husband was and the black guy came storming over saying "I'm her husband!" I responded with "Sorry, I didn't know you two were together."

His wife starts yelling "Oh so you thought that just because that guy is Asian that he an I are together?!" I sincerely apologized by saying quote "My apologies, I've just never seen that before. You're Chinese and so is he." Her husband blasted me and shouted "Chinese? She's Korean you loving racist! You've never seen an interracial couple before? gently caress you!" I apologized again but as I kept rigging up their groceries her husband kept yelling gently caress you nonstop. AITA?

Pre Covid I was at a convention that had exactly 1 black dude, and 3 black kids. Everyone else was white or Asian. So 99% of the attendees would tell the dude how cute his kids were, and how well behaved, and the entire time the dude just stared at them. The kids were all adopted by one of the white couples there. At one point someone saw the black dude leaving, and freaked out because "he was leaving his kids behind!"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
New post because goddamn. Santa drat?

MIL told my daughter that Santa isn’t real, so I told her that God isn’t real

quote:

My MIL doesn’t like me at all. She’s one of the typical moms who doesn’t want her son to be stolen away by another woman, so my existence alone is enough for her to resent me. It doesn’t help that I don’t practice her religion and that we don’t plan on baptizing our children. This is a mutual decision between my husband and I. For a little extra context, she sends me bible verses and quotes about being subservient to your husband on a regular basis to get under my skin. After telling her very nicely and calmly to stop once, she had a full blown meltdown/tantrum about how I won’t let her save me, so I just ignore her messages now.

My daughter (4) loves Christmas. She loves decorating the house and helping bake the cookies and she gets to pick the tree out this year. She’s so excited it’s literally so adorable, she’s been talking about it since July.

She also is a very firm believer in Santa. She already has a mile long list of things she wants him to get her. Side note: she isn’t spoiled at all, some of the things on her list are random items she sees at the grocery store or things on our shelves. Our dog that we’ve had for six years is on her list. She just likes writing them (AKA making me write them)

My MIL was over today and my daughter was asking me to add another random item to her Santa list. As my MIL heard her say it, she immediately responds to her saying that Santa isn’t real, and that me and my husband are who buys the gifts under the tree. This obviously went over like a lead balloon with my child, but my MIL looked pretty happy with herself for the poo poo storm she just created for me and for breaking my daughters heart.

I immediately told her to pack her poo poo and to get the gently caress out of my house and that she wasn’t welcome near my baby anymore. She tried to respond that she did us a favor and that our child shouldn’t be thanking a man who doesn’t exist for the nice things we do for her, so I responded that it was a rich statement coming from someone who has spent their entire life praying to a man who ALSO doesn’t exist. I also told her I was very sorry she let the devil breed hate in her heart, then I slammed the door in her face.

Husband is completely on my side and is completely shattered that his mom ruined something so special for our daughter, but we’ve received a few texts and calls from his siblings who think I was out of line and that I should be apologizing to her. I’m still so angry that I can’t really judge for myself if I’m in the wrong or not, but so really don’t think that I am. I think she crossed an uncrossable line and that I’m justified in not letting her have a future relationship with my daughter or any other children we might have later.

Not looking for advice, just to talk poo poo and vent.

UPDATE

quote:

Quick TLDR for anyone who doesn’t want to read my last post: my MIL told my daughter Santa isn’t real and then had a meltdown because my husband and I limited her contact with our daughter because of it.

Since the events from the last post, things have only escalated in terms of her behavior. We’ve kept our stance on not letting her see our daughter and we’ve had limited contact with her ourselves, but she’s tried to find ways to circumvent my husband and I to gain access to our baby.

She started sending our daughter presents that are clearly from Amazon but with gift notes that say “from the REAL Santa” and “Grandma will see you soon!” and other insane things like that. We’ve been documenting all of this, and we started donating all of the toys and clothing to local charities or to our daughter’s school’s community pantry so a child with nothing can have them instead.

We’ve also had my husband’s sister call us and tell us his mom is on the verge of being suicidal because we took “her only happiness” away from her, to which we replied that she should be checked into inpatient if she’s making those kinds of claims. Sorry if I sound cruel but I won’t let someone manipulate me like that.

We hadn’t heard from anyone regarding MIL in a week or so, so we started to feel like maybe she was calming down and accepting that this situation was caused by her own actions. What we didn’t remember was that she’s authorized to pick our daughter up from school.

Yesterday, I got a call from the front office of her school saying that my MIL had called and said she was on her way to pick our baby up for “a surprise adventure” with grandma and to make sure she was waiting in the office so they could leave as quickly as possible. When I got this call I literally grabbed my bag and walked right out of my job to be able to get to the school before she did. I also made sure her school knew that my daughter was NOT to be released to anyone other than myself or my husband. After getting off the phone with me, the school decided to contact the police and to put the school into a “soft lockdown” which is when they don’t let kids leave classrooms and make sure all the doors to the buildings are secured but they don’t announce it to the kids so no one gets scared.

On my way to the school I called my husband and told him to meet me there and what was going on, and he actually made it to the school before I did.

When I got there the police were questioning my MIL, and upon seeing her car packed full, I could tell her little adventure was meant to be a longterm sort of thing. She was actually going to try to steal our daughter from us over SANTA!

The police took her away and her car was towed as well. When she was loaded into the squad car, her and I made eye contact for a brief second. She tried to keep her scowl, but quickly her face crumpled and she started sobbing about how unfair this all is. She started crying even harder when the door was shut on her. As justified as we are, this was really hard to watch. I don’t know how the legal system works to be honest, but I’m hoping we can request that she be put into a mental health facility as opposed to a jail so she can receive the help she very clearly needs. We also filed for a restraining order against her and we took her name off the pick up list at school.

My husbands siblings have reached out to us and are completely horrified by what happened, and all said in their own way that they never expected things to escalate like this. While it was annoying to have it come to this before having their support, it is refreshing to have everyone on the same page about this finally.

In terms of our daughter, we chose to let her finish the school day so she wouldn’t know what had just happened to her. I received a lot of helpful advice in my last post about how to fix the damage my MIL caused and we tried a few of the things we were told to do but I can sense that my daughter just isn’t into it the way she used to be. Her wishlist hasn’t been added to since. My BIL has offered to dress up as Santa and get caught putting gifts under the tree to help reignite her excitement, which my husband and I both appreciate and are looking forward to. We also plan on sending her a letter from Santa telling her how excited he is to visit her and our dog this year, and I’ll let you all know how this works out in the next update.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

UPDATE

Ugh, you really can't put that Santa rabbit back in the hat. What a nutjob grandma.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
r/relationships: Not looking for advice, just to talk poo poo and vent.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Midnight Voyager posted:

Ugh, you really can't put that Santa rabbit back in the hat. What a nutjob grandma.

It would be wild if you could. Convincing someone that Santa not being real was just a fakeout the whole time

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

PetraCore posted:

My most memorable Christmas gift is my dad getting me literally decades worth of a science fiction magazine (that's still being released today). He set up a scavenger hunt and at the end I found boxes and boxes of neatly bound stacks where each stack was a year worth of magazines, I don't think I ever managed to read them all but I was over the moon about it. Years later in my 20s I realized that year we'd been really tight on money because my dad got laid off, and he'd gotten the magazines from someone on craigslist or something who was clearing out their decades of archived magazines to anyone that'd pick them up.

EDIT: It's just a real good story of things working out for everyone, I think. I was reading those things for years, they made me so happy.

:3:

I'm only sharing this link for this line:

quote:

Aguirre said that she's noticed that her younger, Gen Z clients "are less tolerant of manipulative, abusive, misogynistic behaviors."
The kids are all right.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My girlfriend bought me leggings

quote:

Recently I (18m) was talking with my girlfriend (19f) and said I don't have any clothes that are comfortable to wear at home, sweatpants, Shorts, etc. She went to the store and came back later, she called me and said she had bought pants for me I go and check and see she bought me two pairs of tight black high waisted Lululemon leggings for women. I asked why she bought these for me and she said "what's the big deal? Your only wearing them at home and they're comfy and warm" she says she wears them "all the time". I tried them on and sure they're comfy and fit good but I feel weird wearing them and don't get why she didn't just buy men's sweatpants or something like that. Any reasons? or am I just overthinking this?

Tldr, girlfriend bought me leggings I don't understand why

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
She’s turning you gay, it’s already too late.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Eggs have to crack from the inside and all but the gf is making a good start here.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cowslips Warren posted:

UPDATE

She’s still a believer in Santa? At four that’s marginal, right?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

My kid and her cousins knew Santa was mostly a tradition we all play along with by 4/5. They also group Jesus into that category, not sure where that came from but I do gently approve.

It’s not a big deal unless the kiddo is a big Santa fan and you ruin it like a fuckwit.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Depends on the child, that is around the time where they start doing detective work like "Santa uses that same wrapping paper as our parents!". There's definitely first grade kids who learn it from their peers though.

Still rude to just outright say that to a child! If a six year old can pretend to believe in Santa for their younger siblings, grandma can handle a bit of Santa talk as well!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cloacamazing! posted:

Depends on the child, that is around the time where they start doing detective work like "Santa uses that same wrapping paper as our parents!".

Not having dedicated 'Santa Paper' that's a higher quality than the rest of your paper is a novice mistake.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think I stopped believing about 7 or so? My brother believed for longer but we joke that was because he thought if he stopped believing the presents would go as well.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My dad wrecked Santa because he wanted credit for our gifts. I was 7, my sister was 4 and a half. I was happy to still suspend disbelief, but my sister was a full believer and it wrecked her.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

well why not posted:

They also group Jesus into that category, not sure where that came from but I do gently approve.

That's going to get awkward when they learn to read and open a bible.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

In America it's legal but you'll get shot. In England they'll need to procure a Gimping license

Funnily enough, the UK police had to deal with something like this quite recently: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/03/somerset-gimp-suit-man-banned-wearing-writhing-ground

Bloke likes wearing a full body latex costume and mask and writhing around in front of people in a small rural village, which understandably is a little traumatising for any poor soul who stumbles upon him humping the pavement at 10pm at night.

He is known as The Somerset Gimp, and has recevied a court order banning him from masks/full body costumes/black clothes after dark and got smacked with a Sexual Risk Order, which is essentially the inverse of a Gimping License.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I feel like the British are the only people who could have invented dogging.

Where is the sexiest place I can imagine getting sucked off? Ah yes, a layby off the Ringwood bypass in front of a trucker.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Pope Corky the IX posted:

She’s still a believer in Santa? At four that’s marginal, right?
Everything going on in that post and that's what gets your attention?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mx. posted:

My girlfriend bought me leggings

drat, imagine being Bimboized by your girlfriend out of all people.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Everything going on in that post and that's what gets your attention?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hH7bT384hM

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I simply believed in Santa because my parents told me that he existed and provided 'evidence' for him visiting re. eaten cookies and carrots. I believed them because they were my parents and why should they lie to me like that?

Then, when it was explicitly told to me that Santa didn't exist, the lesson I learned was that my parents could and would say what they wanted to me for their own amusement and since they were the solitary source of material support, all I should do was appease to them.

Unsurprisingly, this did mess me up quite a bit, even if they didn't actually realize this was the attitude I had adopted.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Am I the only person who figured out Santa wasn’t real, went “well that sucks”, and then wasn’t hosed up about it?

Probably helps that I still get presents from Santa, but still.

(My mom really likes Santa as a concept so even though there are no kids left in the family she still labels about half the presents from her and my dad as from Santa.)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

hopeandjoy posted:

Am I the only person who figured out Santa wasn’t real, went “well that sucks”, and then wasn’t hosed up about it?

(My mom really likes Santa as a concept so even though there are no kids left in the family she still labels about half the presents from her and my dad as from Santa.)

Well, my partner did mention the way that they learned Santa wasn't 'real', and that was because every Xmas they had a member of the family dress up as Santa and come in to deliver the presents. Worked for the young 'uns, but the older ones recognized who it actually was, recognized that Santa isn't a person, but more a cultural role, and thus had a more healthy approach not just to Xmas, but to general traditions.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Santa is real, what the hell

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don’t know how the legal system works to be honest, but I’m hoping we can request that she be put into a mental health facility as opposed to a jail so she can receive the help she very clearly needs. We also filed for a restraining order against her and we took her name off the pick up list at school.

I liked the incongruous de-escalation of things in this part.

"You tried to kidnap our daughter. You're under arrest, you might go to prison, or a mental health facility, we've taken out a restraining order against you...

...oh and you're OFF the pick up list!!"

Like I know it needed doing too, just kind of goes without saying :v:

augias
Apr 7, 2009

I figured it out because i wasnt a dumb baby anymore.

Thats ok ill still open that garbage xmas morning.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Oh thank gently caress, I was starting to think I was the only one. People acting like it was some deep betrayal that they were allowed to believe in Santa as children; I bet you also believed in love, magic, and that the world was a generally okay place too, should we take our parents to task for these treacheries as well

ya dangus
Jul 2, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Oh thank gently caress, I was starting to think I was the only one. People acting like it was some deep betrayal that they were allowed to believe in Santa as children; I bet you also believed in love, magic, and that the world was a generally okay place too, should we take our parents to task for these treacheries as well

This is the norm. People who figure it out naturally at 5+ or whatever and are left with massive scars of betrayal they carry into adulthood usually have some other stuff going on or other lovely factors in their relationship with their parents that are tangentially related.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
r/relationships: Nta. Also lol.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Depends on the child, that is around the time where they start doing detective work like "Santa uses that same wrapping paper as our parents!". There's definitely first grade kids who learn it from their peers though.

Still rude to just outright say that to a child! If a six year old can pretend to believe in Santa for their younger siblings, grandma can handle a bit of Santa talk as well!

I figured it out when I was 5 because I found some presents in my parents room. One was addressed to my brother, but it was his nickname and not his actual name. I knew Santa wouldn't do that, and thus began my lifelong journey of calling bullshit on supernatural stuff.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 12, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I was way more traumatized and felt betrayed over my parents harping non-stop that college was the only way to get a good job, and as long as I got a good degree I would get a good paying job. Along those lines, the idea that if I worked hard, I would get rewarded by management instead of simply getting more tasks put on me while other people were promoted because they wouldn't do the job of two or three people for the price of one.

AITA for correcting my mom about my sex life at a family gathering causing mass amounts of drama?

quote:

I (23M) grew up in an extremely catholic household. I grew up sheltered and pressured with strict parents.
One thing my mom (52F) was always strict about was ofcourse no sex before marriage, Weirdly especially with us boy's! Because (I'm paraphrasing here) in her mind girls wouldn't even think about that stuff before marriage and us boys "just couldn't keep it in our pants".
For some unrelated to the post reason I had to move to another country for 6 months and than return.

There I moved into an apartment with a Russian roomate (25M), let's just say one thing led to another with him and I returned to my home country no longer a virgin and with a bit of an identity/sexaulity crises. But everytime my mom made comments about my virginity I just felt bitter because now I realize how weird it is

A week ago we had a giant family gathering, extended family the whole nine yards for my uncles birthday.
And my mom started bragging to my aunt about how I was still a virgin specifically comparing me to my cousin who lost his virginity in highschool (When he lost his virginity like a day later he cried his eyes out in the confession booth and the priest proceeded to tell everybody. Yep, ironically defeats the whole purpose of confessions.)

Anyways because of this he was considered the black sheep of the family. I adore my cousin more than anything in the world, and I constantly hated how I was being used to poo poo on him.

When my mom kept going on about how I'm purer than him I snapped and yelled that not only was I not a virgin but I infact lost my Virginity to a man, the whole family gathering heard that and there was chaos for like 2 hours.

I left and booked a fair away hotel to stay the night.
When I woke up I had hundreds of text from tens of family members saying various (negative) things. But than my mom called me in tears saying that she was in undescribable amount of pain because my entire family had been sending her death threats telling her she gave birth to the anti Christ ect, after the call I also broke down in tears, my mom spent her entire life caring for 6 kids I don't think I'm the ah for sleeping with a man because that's my business but
I think I'm the rear end in a top hat for spilling it publicly and putting my mom through so much stress, but also In that call she didn't fail to call me a bundle of sticks and say I'm going to hell so ...

I don't know reddit AITA?AITA for correcting my mom about my sex life at a family gathering causing mass amounts of drama?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

ya dangus posted:

This is the norm. People who figure it out naturally at 5+ or whatever and are left with massive scars of betrayal they carry into adulthood usually have some other stuff going on or other lovely factors in their relationship with their parents that are tangentially related.
Yeah, it's definitely the norm. The vast majority of people respond with a short burst of disappointment before shrugging it off as your parents just trying to make it fun for a kid. But that vast majority doesn't really talk about it while the people who were very hosed up by Santa's non-existence do; basically similar to the old "dog bites man isn't news, man bites dog is news" aphorism where the very common experience isn't notable.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cowslips Warren posted:

Honestly, I was way more traumatized and felt betrayed over my parents harping non-stop that college was the only way to get a good job, and as long as I got a good degree I would get a good paying job. Along those lines, the idea that if I worked hard, I would get rewarded by management instead of simply getting more tasks put on me while other people were promoted because they wouldn't do the job of two or three people for the price of one.

AITA for correcting my mom about my sex life at a family gathering causing mass amounts of drama?

NTA, your family are crazier than a bag of rats in a burning meth lab. Run and never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Theophany posted:

NTA, your family are crazier than a bag of rats in a burning meth lab. Run and never look back.