Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

pokeyman posted:

still got one in halifax!

where chains go to die™

I’ve been meaning to visit Halifax one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
It's been six years since we sailed away and I just made Halifax yesterday.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

pokeyman posted:

where chains go to die™

Yeah but it's all the way out in Bayers Lake, and that place sucks. The Coles at the mall in Dartmouth is alright though

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah but it's all the way out in Bayers Lake, and that place sucks. The Coles at the mall in Dartmouth is alright though

how dare you besmirch bayers lake aka "little calgary"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

vyelkin posted:

if you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot pinned to the front of your jacket - forever

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

pokeyman posted:

where chains go to die™

there's numerous chapters across the prairies too

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The big Chapters we had in downtown Montreal id’s a Victoria’s Secret now.

You can see it at the start of John Wick 2.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

vyelkin posted:

if you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot pinned to the front of your jacket - forever

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

We still have one Chapters in metro BC but it seems functionally identical to an Indigo so idk

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I don't think this needs to be said, but our grocery stores are deeply in bed with our politicians. One only needs to examine the way the gov't bent over backwards to let them gently caress over employees during the pandemic. Honestly that poo poo really did a number on me. Being told you're a hero and essential to the country's survival while being denied hours, basic safety, and CERB, all while being horrendously abused by the public at large really broke my brain. I'm a far angrier person, to a point I'm uncomfortable with, I had to stop drinking even. I went broke while working during the pandemic, had to move in with my mom, and had to abandon most of my possessions in the desperate move. All so Sobeys could make a couple extra percentages.

A more just society would see grocery store owners quartered in the public square.

Are you unionized? I think the Metro staff got a pretty good deal after their recent strike. I know getting back that "temporary hazard pay" was a big point of contention.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MonsieurChoc posted:

The big Chapters we had in downtown Montreal id’s a Victoria’s Secret now.

You can see it at the start of John Wick 2.

Just had a sad because you reminded me that Club Super Sexe burned to the ground (never went, just was a real landmark for my time in Montreal)

ZShakespeare posted:

But I wish I was in Sherbrooke now

(seriously, gently caress Alberta)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress you, tabarnak.

je soutiens le Québec car en pensant d’un “nation québécoise” ils … “care about public opinion”

the car bridge to Quebec City getting cancelled is the only time I’ve heard of a idiot developer project getting shut down

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

pokeyman posted:

how dare you besmirch bayers lake aka "little calgary"

based on the name isn’t mic Mac mall more little Calgary?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Precambrian Video Games posted:

The Maple Leafs foreeever. I couldn't find the more recent one where they drove some kind of LAV onto the ice, maybe the one we sell to the Saudis. Also:

Isn't this literally from a Propagandhi song lol

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

ZShakespeare posted:

God drat them all.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

https://youtu.be/3xva-cdBi8E?si=f_br6AurUrGiAExM

yes it is and the album has a great Kent Monkman cover, his new book is good too.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

drat I forgot about this, did he ever clarify what protests are for then?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Isn't this literally from a Propagandhi song lol

Oh, is there a video? A compilation of all of the stupid NHL military poo poo would be convenient.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

civic engagement.

not the kind that does anything, but maybe it's good for half a high-school credit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjOduiPSF1Q

:quebec:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Bilirubin posted:

Just had a sad because you reminded me that Club Super Sexe burned to the ground (never went, just was a real landmark for my time in Montreal)

in freshman year of uni we were on our way there but my friend pre-drank too much and vomited all over the sidewalk so we took him back home. missed opportunity, oh well

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

Oh, is there a video? A compilation of all of the stupid NHL military poo poo would be convenient.

Adjacent: https://youtu.be/lwAI4rntFrE?si=PyPvNQ6zANX1T1Ph

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Tighclops posted:

My union gave me a neat little enamel pin that says I'm a covid hero though

I got a 5$ Tim's card because every shipping company all played shutdown chicken all refusing to do it first even as case totals led to days where my dock of 68 was down to 15 people, but yeehaw number went up.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

StealthArcher posted:

I got a 5$ Tim's card because every shipping company all played shutdown chicken all refusing to do it first even as case totals led to days where my dock of 68 was down to 15 people, but yeehaw number went up.

the local coke bottling plant donated an entire pallet of the coke brand energy drink to our depot and they weren't even a client, you got robbed

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Tighclops posted:

My union gave me a neat little enamel pin that says I'm a covid hero though

I wish I got a medal, the liquidators got a medal and a pension.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Are you unionized? I think the Metro staff got a pretty good deal after their recent strike. I know getting back that "temporary hazard pay" was a big point of contention.

We were not, and I've long since left that job. I had put serious time into Sobeys years ago, I had only gone back to the company in like 2018 or 19 because I was a TA at Uni, plus was working at a museum, and neither jobs were reliable and I needed a back-up that if one of those didn't renew. Big loving mistake, had I not been at Sobeys I would have just been on CERB like everyone else.

I still remember someone yelling at me that they were "sick of paying for my discount" when we didn't even have a discount, and Sobeys was gaming our hours to deny us the majority of the "hero pay". No one gave a poo poo about us, no one held grocery stores accountable, and the grocery stores learned a big lesson there and we are all paying for it.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I still remember someone yelling at me that they were "sick of paying for my discount" when we didn't even have a discount, and Sobeys was gaming our hours to deny us the majority of the "hero pay". No one gave a poo poo about us, no one held grocery stores accountable, and the grocery stores learned a big lesson there and we are all paying for it.

A supervisor yelled that at you or a customer?

I was a frontline worker through the pandemic as well, but we have a reasonably strong union and work in the public sector so we had a much better experience. I know that's not true of everyone in my union though, so it's not like unionization is a cure all. I know nurses and health care staff had a particularly hard go of it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rockstar Massacre posted:

the local coke bottling plant donated an entire pallet of the coke brand energy drink to our depot and they weren't even a client, you got robbed

I mean Im not gonna say I'm shocked about it. First one who shut down wouldve taken all the blame and hemorrhaged contracts while every other one got to just say "Well thats the business climate now lmao" and coast free, but lmao nothing could ever be bad enough to trade number for people.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

A supervisor yelled that at you or a customer?

I was a frontline worker through the pandemic as well, but we have a reasonably strong union and work in the public sector so we had a much better experience. I know that's not true of everyone in my union though, so it's not like unionization is a cure all. I know nurses and health care staff had a particularly hard go of it.

Customer, I was in KW, people were extremely abusive there. People were assaulted all the time, some 17 year old kid got sent to the ICU he got beaten so badly. Our store manager wouldn't even kick people out for abuse. I think a huge part of the problem was that there was zero accountability, no one cared what happened to us, not even the company. People could scream at us all they wanted as long as they kept buying groceries in staggering amounts.

It was so frustrating because so many people just assumed we were being well paid and taken care of, the press just read off the Sobeys press releases, no one ever talked to us. People seemed to think we were making $20+ an hour, when I was getting paid just over minimum. Some lady gave me poo poo for wearing a scarf as a mask in April, said she couldn't believe I wasn't wearing a real mask. I said I couldn't get one, she was shocked the company wasn't providing us PPE. There was such a widespread belief that people on the frontlines were well paid and safe, there still is, people still tell me I must have made a ton of money. I think it is deliberate delusion, like acknowledging what was done to the poor while they got paid to sit on their asses would be a bridge too far.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Our whole society is built on the myth of the just world. So it goes.

Virtual Russian posted:

Customer, I was in KW, people were extremely abusive there. People were assaulted all the time, some 17 year old kid got sent to the ICU he got beaten so badly.

:wtc:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Virtual Russian posted:

I wish I got a medal, the liquidators got a medal and a pension.

There were rumours there was going to be a medal for the covid military operation, since it rated danger pay and all, and possibly a civil medal too, but then people forgot, you see.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Frosted Flake posted:

There were rumours there was going to be a medal for the covid military operation, since it rated danger pay and all, and possibly a civil medal too, but then people forgot, you see.

I never forgot. I still bang a pot every night at 7.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Something symbolic would have had some level of real meaning for me. It would have been an acknowledgment of what happened, and that essential workers bore the brunt of it. Instead we are being swept under the rug and everyone just wants to forget covid and move on.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Our whole society is built on the myth of the just world. So it goes.

:wtc:

Of all the places I've lived in Canada the GTA and communities in its shadow has the least chill people. I know there was abuse all over, but I think there is something unique to that part of the country that just has everyone on edge. Also, the guy who beat that kid was arrested, no idea what happened after though.

Beyond that though, multiple grocery workers died of covid they caught at work, especially in the early months when we had no PPE. I really think people forget that, people died to bring people their groceries. No one should have to die for the Sobey's to make a profit. It just makes me so angry.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Indigo vandalized with red paint and posters, citing founder’s support for IDF

quote:

An Indigo bookstore in downtown Toronto has been vandalized in what appears to be the latest incident to target a Jewish person or business in the city.

On Friday morning, the Indigo store at the intersection of Bay and Bloor streets was found splashed with red paint and plastered with posters featuring the company’s Jewish CEO and founder.

Indigo, founded by chief executive officer Heather Reisman and her husband, Gerry Schwartz, has been subject to a boycott campaign for more than a decade centred around the founders’ charity, the HESEG Foundation for Lone Soldiers. The foundation provides scholarships to former “lone soldiers” — those without family in Israel, who served in the Israel Defense Forces. These scholarships cover living expenses and tuition for ex-soldiers who wish to remain and study in Israel after their service.

Avital Borisovsky, director of communications at the Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Center for Holocaust Studies, told the Star “We are hearing different reasons for why this Indigo was vandalized, and this is really unacceptable regardless of the reasons.”

“We feel it’s an attempt to intimidate the Jewish community and spread slanderous accusations,” she said. “We feel there’s no room for this kind of targeting in the community, especially at this time of rising antisemitism.”

This has the city’s Jewish community scared and on high alert, Borisovsky said: “We’re seeing this happening across the country at a pace we really haven’t seen before … It’s a really scary time right now.”

The incident hit especially hard as it comes at a time when many Jews are marking the 85th anniversary of Kristallnacht, “when thousands of Jewish businesses were vandalized and destroyed in a Nazi-led pogrom in Germany and Austria just before the Holocaust,” Michael Levitt, president and CEO of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, said in a statement.

Hmm maybe antisemitic vandalism of places of worship (which is generally bad and should be stopped) and targeted protests against public material supporters of war crime tourism are not the same thing and shouldn't be conflated like that?

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Nov 12, 2023

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
it's antisemitic to say it's bad to spend millions of dollars a year recruiting foreign mercenaries into the IDF incentivizing former IDF soldiers to stay in Israel afterwards

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Aren't the Indigo couple some of the LPC's biggest donors? There was a dirtbag left pod that had an episode on them, though I forget which one.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Aren't the Indigo couple some of the LPC's biggest donors? There was a dirtbag left pod that had an episode on them, though I forget which one.

they very publicly switched from the LPC to the Conservatives in 2006 because the Liberals were insufficiently supportive of Israel during the 2006 war in Lebanon

dunno if they ever switched back

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

Virtual Russian posted:

Of all the places I've lived in Canada the GTA and communities in its shadow has the least chill people. I know there was abuse all over, but I think there is something unique to that part of the country that just has everyone on edge.

Here's the thing, man. You live in Toronto, especially the last couple of months, you can feel it slipping away. Transit doesn't work properly, and the crazification of the citizens means there are more incidents. I'd say I take two journeys a week that are uninterrupted by delays, repairs, violence, suicides, homeless folks, panhandlers, etc. The homeless encampment at Allan Gardens is so bad, the George Brown Campus I work at has noted it as a potential threat in a campus wide email even as the students can't afford housing and commute for an hour to get downtown.

The city has no chill really. Going out is tremendously expensive and getting around is really difficulty. Few of the streetcars are running their full lines, and a lot of them are replacement buses.

You can actually feel it getting worse daily. It's a unique experience, but I don't recommend it.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm glad to be back in the maritimes, don't get me wrong, there are a lot of problems out here too, but people just don't have that same edge to them here.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

saints gambit posted:

Here's the thing, man. You live in Toronto, especially the last couple of months, you can feel it slipping away. Transit doesn't work properly, and the crazification of the citizens means there are more incidents. I'd say I take two journeys a week that are uninterrupted by delays, repairs, violence, suicides, homeless folks, panhandlers, etc. The homeless encampment at Allan Gardens is so bad, the George Brown Campus I work at has noted it as a potential threat in a campus wide email even as the students can't afford housing and commute for an hour to get downtown.

The city has no chill really. Going out is tremendously expensive and getting around is really difficulty. Few of the streetcars are running their full lines, and a lot of them are replacement buses.

You can actually feel it getting worse daily. It's a unique experience, but I don't recommend it.

Alienation with no leftist framework to make sense of it

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

haha remember when Ford had the idea to send are troops to staff the nursing homes and they were so appalled they basically recommended criminal charges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
I was frontline the entire pandemic, got $0 extra pay, no days off, abused constantly, some of my friends are permanently hosed up or dead, and I am significantly worse off despite being essential and a "hero". Pretty much what I expect from Klanada. The only future here is the final death of the social contract.