Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Mat Cauthon posted:

I think it's gonna be really really hard. Lots of hype, plus holiday shopping season already in full gear, plus re-sellers trying to get a cut. Without knowing exactly how many are available I imagine this is gonna be one of those situations where a lot of us end up disappointed.

Would've been nice if Valve had offered some sort of pre-order or reservations or something but cest la vie. Set your alarm for 9:55 am PST/ 12:55 pm EST on 16 November, hope your Internet connection doesn't go down around that time, and pray.

Sigh yeah I should prob prep for disappointment and settle for a 512 OLED instead. I'll give it a shot for sure though but eh

That gray smoke is so sexy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The special edition one really does look slick as hell. Not enough that I want to buy it but I love the red accents

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It's more and more likely I'm gonna get the oled deck.

For anyone that has any experience with it, how difficult is it getting epic games store on there? I know this obviously has built in steam support, and epic games store would be a nice plus since I've got dozens of free games on it. I think you have to technically side load it?

Does it even support Xbox game pass?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You can install EGS games through launchers like Heroic but Game Pass is 100% tied to Windows outside their streaming stuff.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

njsykora posted:

You can install EGS games through launchers like Heroic but Game Pass is 100% tied to Windows outside their streaming stuff.

Yeah that's what I figured. I'm just not gonna bother with gamepass and just use free games off egs and cheap humble bundle games to fill up my steam library.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think my new plan is to buy the Pro, then send my Classic to get L1 repaired, and then find a home for it. I’ll swap the drive back for the repair but probably not bother desoldering the Gulikit sticks to restore them.

Are the current generation of replacement sticks going to work in the Pro, or should I wait for a rev to appear before I get some more?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm having an issue with PlayStation emulator where it works but it hitches every 3 seconds for a half second

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm having an issue with PlayStation emulator where it works but it hitches every 3 seconds for a half second

Which emulator
Where are the games stored
Could be shaders caching?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Check that you're not running a PAL game as NTSC. Consistent pausing like that sounds like you're trying to run a 50Hz game on a system expecting 60Hz.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Subjunctive posted:

I think my new plan is to buy the Pro, then send my Classic to get L1 repaired, and then find a home for it. I’ll swap the drive back for the repair but probably not bother desoldering the Gulikit sticks to restore them.

Are the current generation of replacement sticks going to work in the Pro, or should I wait for a rev to appear before I get some more?

It's one wire each for the sticks, just swap them unless you are just paying for repair. You probably won't get your old deck back (mine was a brand new one via RMA, so new vent fumes) so you'd likely lose the guli sticks. Who knows if they're the same as the new oled version and could be reused though. I think somebody up the thread posted a gamers Nexus teardown where he goes through differences which might answer that.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

The boards for the sticks will be different shaped. And if I understand correctly the shoulder bumpers for L1 and R1 are on the control stick boards now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Everyone missed two of the biggest upgrades on the OLED deck.

The charging brick has a much longer cable

The new case is actually two cases in 1. A thinner soft case and a hard case.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Baxate posted:

The boards for the sticks will be different shaped. And if I understand correctly the shoulder bumpers for L1 and R1 are on the control stick boards now.

This might actually be the thing that sells me an OLED since it’s currently impossible to repair the shoulder buttons without microsoldering and nobody sells replacement parts. It’s the single thing I’m most worried about crapping out (again) out of warranty.

If they’re decoupled from the triggers and on a user replaceable part now that’s a very good change.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Subjunctive posted:

They’ll take care of you, I’m pretty sure.

Boar It posted:

I saw someone on r/SteamDeck receive the option of either being given the difference in price back or a full on refund so that they could buy the OLED version instead. So hopefully you can get that sorted.

What a difference three days makes, I guess.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

The new case is actually two cases in 1. A thinner soft case and a hard case.

This really impressed me. The first thing I got for my OG was a slimmer case and they’re like “oh we see that’s a concern, let’s make a cool-rear end case for everyone.”

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Cronodoculous posted:

Oof, that sucks :(

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Let's talk about third party Docks, if you've used them. In September IGN published a list of their favourites, with this one at the top of the list. At CDN$40 that's a remarkable deal since Valve lists theirs price-dropped for $109(!)

But it doesn't hurt to ask if there's a catch? I know Nintendo loves to point out that third party Switch ones can "potentially damage your system" but they've always said that about (unlicensed) peripherals. Any concerns to be had here, or is Valve kind of pulling an Apple tax by charging so much more for their own stuff because of the consumer impulse to worry about lower-priced items being crappier or inferior?

Otherwise I'd love to treat my upcoming portable OLED PC like I do my Switch: always hooked up when at home to a 4k TV and 5.1 speakers for the best gaming experience, but gets plenty of portable use when away.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The Valve Dock:

1) Comes with its own power supply
2) Has dual video-out (DP + HDMI)
3) Will be supported with firmware/software updates for years

1 & 2 are material reasons why it's more expensive than the average 3rd party dock, while 3 is intangible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was thinking of AAA games that came out in the last 10-15 years that would run beautifully on the Deck and my mind somehow went to Xcom EU, a game I bought at launch on the 360, put hundreds of hours into between that port and the PC version, and how I ultimately suck at it.

Thinking about installing it just to miss a 90% shot at a cyberdisk is similar to that lingering thought of maybe calling up an ex to hook up, even though it'll probably lead to nothing good overall.

I love you Xcom, but I hate you, too.

Edit: Better analogy is that I love Xcom 90%, but it's that other 10% that just ruins everything I plan in it. :xcom:

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

This SNES-modeled All-In-One Dock is pretty sexy too but it seems like it's nowhere close to a release point.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Quixzlizx posted:

The Valve Dock:

I suppose that's why the JSAUX one also has a $73 package option that includes the 45w charger.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cronodoculous posted:

boo :(

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Quixzlizx posted:

The Valve Dock:

2) Has dual video-out (DP + HDMI)
3) Will be supported with firmware/software updates for years

1 & 2 are material reasons why it's more expensive than the average 3rd party dock, while 3 is intangible.
What software update is there for a dock??

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Vegetable posted:

What software update is there for a dock??

Fixing bugs and increasing display/device compatibility, at least.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Vegetable posted:

They also said no new model just months ago and now this. They’ll say anything to close a sale.

Yeah, I do feel a little hosed buying in October. Right between a sale and price drop/new hardware.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Agent Escalus posted:

Is Valve kind of pulling an Apple tax by charging so much more for their own stuff because of the consumer impulse to worry about lower-priced items being crappier or inferior?
Honestly I think Valve's dock is expensive because they're not trying to compete in the accessory market. Their dock exists partly as a reference model (particularly for its VRR support) and partly because some people will pay for a first-party dock. But ultimately they're somewhat low sales volume and they probably have greater engineering overhead costs.

Like Valve is just fine with you purchasing and using a third party dock/hub. For some time that was the only option too.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
New deck owner question: Is a microSD card required to run emudeck and roms? The video guide operates like you have one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

err posted:

New deck owner question: Is a microSD card required to run emudeck and roms? The video guide operates like you have one.

Na but I would.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

err posted:

No. You can choose whether you want to install it on internal memory or an SD card. Even if you install it on internal memory, you can still play roms you put on an SD card.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Cronodoculous posted:

Oof. I just got mine a few weeks ago, but being Australia it’s grey market so no chance anyway… I’m still happy with it.

I’m enjoying pc gaming for the first time in many, many years, celebrating the steam deck by mostly playing games that I could play on console or did once play on console. I’d been hanging for a bit of Skyrim for a while and now have a very sneaky, thiefy, catman. I also got motion sickness from skyrim but was able to solve it with a mod and a couple of settings.ini type changes for fov and camera.

Forza Horizon 5 is really great on the deck as well, it’s only slightly annoying that the old xbox that I use for streaming media pings with every achievement.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Rolo posted:

This really impressed me. The first thing I got for my OG was a slimmer case and they’re like “oh we see that’s a concern, let’s make a cool-rear end case for everyone.”

*Who buys the 1TB version. (As far as I can see anyway) Would be cool if they sold it separately or something.

Cronodoculous posted:

:negative:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Annath posted:

So displaying the download screen will likely eventually cause some burn in.

This would probably only be the case if you were doing significant downloads multiple times a week for a period of many months, which is very doubtful. It's not really analogous to something you run during a long commute every single day.

I don't anticipate burn-in being an issue for for the Steam Deck unless you're playing a game with bright static UI elements extremely frequently.

I've deal with various instances of burn-in on both an OLED TV and phone, so it can definitely be an issue, but I don't anticipate it being an issue in this particular use case. There are two times it's happened to me:
- With my first OLED TV I massively hosed up and let it sit on the receiver's home screen constantly. This was basically a worst-case scenario of "doing the absolute worst thing possible."
- I've had a phone get burn-in from daily playing a mobile game with prominent static UI elements over a period of more than a year

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I had a phone get burn in from the awful app

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I had a phone get burn in from the awful app

My 4 year old Samsung Galaxy S8 is currently experiencing that. I spend so much goddamned time here.

Also, regarding emudeck and space, DEFINITELY put your installation on a big card. I had a small group of ROMs (maybe 30, across NES, SNES and Genesis) and with all of the scraping for images, which may have also downloaded some gameplay preview videos, everything in the emudeck folder ended up being multiple GBs. I was surprised at how much that builds up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have a 512gb SD card and even putting exclusively PS2 and higher games on it and using it for some actual Steam games I still have 300gb free.

Also as a game rec, Super Woden GP 2 came out and if you want a top down racing game that clearly wants to be a more arcadey Gran Turismo 2 I'm finding it pretty good.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah all the scraped stuff is by and for emulationstation, if you don’t use that then full rom sets for anything before the cd era are absolutely tiny by modern standards.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Is there a charging cradle that people like? I'm not sure I really need a dock since I'm not sure on my TV usage yet but I'd love a place I can set it down and let it charge.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

All the docks are basically also charging cradles, but you're still going to have to plug the cable in to charge it. It just gives you a dedicated place to have it.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am very curious to see how much WiFi6 improves remote play. I could see myself picking on up as a more expensive and useful PlayStation portal.

How much remote play time does the normal deck get on its battery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Calidus posted:

I am very curious to see how much WiFi6 improves remote play. I could see myself picking on up as a more expensive and useful PlayStation portal.

How much remote play time does the normal deck get on its battery?

About 6-8 hours from most testing I've seen.