Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
going from NPR's WWDTM, the latest SEO meta is literally naming your place "near me" or "in [insert town/city here]" and it might actually work?

seems like stupid easy SEO strats work again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

I just bought a new (to me) nVidia Shield which is an Android TV box. The home screen features a wall of noise for free services I'll never use and also an ad for Kia. Now I could download a new launcher but Google blocks that now. I bought loving hardware and they are forcing me to use their interface to push me ads. I'm not even using their services, ,just playing locally over Plex. So why am I being forced to view ads?

Oh no friend, you bought the hardware and a software license. Their ads being plastered all over it is a condition of accepting their software license, and the hardware is not meant for use with anything but the licensed software, so replacing it would void all warranties and could cause it to malfunction in a way that would cause permanent system damage. They're only removing the option from you to prevent that happening.

Enjoy.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Duck and Cover posted:

Awful those should be ads for real products.

In all honesty the studio could have probably made a ton of bones doing that, but they wouldn't fit the future aesthetic. But I'm sure all the slick marketing gurus would just work their dumb products with some future slang and call it a day. But in the end, I'm glad they didn't make that design choice.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

goatface posted:

Oh no friend, you bought the hardware and a software license. Their ads being plastered all over it is a condition of accepting their software license, and the hardware is not meant for use with anything but the licensed software, so replacing it would void all warranties and could cause it to malfunction in a way that would cause permanent system damage. They're only removing the option from you to prevent that happening.

Enjoy.

Sounds like a bundle of fun! Some intrepid internet explorer might find that some micro software giant has tried stuff like that before and gotten slapped down before, though I suppose the legal environment is probably a lot more amenable to poo poo like this now...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

hot date tonight! posted:

They started the A/B tests of this like 8 months ago, we're in the full deployment stage now
We're not, though, because it still isn't happening for everybody. We're nearing the full deployment stage.

Also, Chrome is IE now.

Whatever web browser dominates the market will inevitably become IE. Ubiquity breeds this poo poo. We're too big to fail! Let's ruin everything and hope nobody notices!

Five years ago, my web dev partner told me in no uncertain terms to switch from Chrome to Edge. It was painless and amazing. It was Chrome without being a resource hog. It was Chromium with features. It was everything Chrome used to be.

But now Edge is being fed into the AI woodchipper because whoever decided MS's next step was open source has been sacked and now MS's next step is AI. So, Chromium, Chrome, and Edge ALL suck now.

So the cool kids will switch to Firefox, and maybe others will follow over the next ten years, but Firefox was what it is now before, and once it got that marketshare, it became what Chrome is now.

We are loving doomed to an eternity of switching to lower-tier services and products that gain marketshare by being less bad than everything else only to become the thing that drove users to switch to them to begin with right up until that option is ripped from our hands too.

Remember when you could pay for a game once that you then owned and could play unchanged forever?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

LividLiquid posted:

Remember when you could pay for a game once that you then owned and could play unchanged forever?

No, I remember people playing those games and demanding more of those games with more features and the market responding accordingly.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Floodixor posted:

In all honesty the studio could have probably made a ton of bones doing that, but they wouldn't fit the future aesthetic. But I'm sure all the slick marketing gurus would just work their dumb products with some future slang and call it a day. But in the end, I'm glad they didn't make that design choice.

Yeah aesthetic doesn't equal money and gamers will eat whatever slop is served to them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVTS3fyoAEQ is probably the best thing to ever come from a triple A game. Well not the game the anime based on the game.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 12, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

It's a pen and paper game from the 80s

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

We're not, though, because it still isn't happening for everybody. We're nearing the full deployment stage.

Also, Chrome is IE now.

Whatever web browser dominates the market will inevitably become IE. Ubiquity breeds this poo poo. We're too big to fail! Let's ruin everything and hope nobody notices!

Five years ago, my web dev partner told me in no uncertain terms to switch from Chrome to Edge. It was painless and amazing. It was Chrome without being a resource hog. It was Chromium with features. It was everything Chrome used to be.

But now Edge is being fed into the AI woodchipper because whoever decided MS's next step was open source has been sacked and now MS's next step is AI. So, Chromium, Chrome, and Edge ALL suck now.

So the cool kids will switch to Firefox, and maybe others will follow over the next ten years, but Firefox was what it is now before, and once it got that marketshare, it became what Chrome is now.

We are loving doomed to an eternity of switching to lower-tier services and products that gain marketshare by being less bad than everything else only to become the thing that drove users to switch to them to begin with right up until that option is ripped from our hands too.

I don’t think Chrome was ever this magical browser you reminisce about. The other browsers were just hot garbage. Now they’re slightly less than hot garbage, but still pretty bad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vegetable posted:

I don’t think Chrome was ever this magical browser you reminisce about. The other browsers were just hot garbage. Now they’re slightly less than hot garbage, but still pretty bad.
You ain't wrong. It was just better than the rest, at the time.

MrQwerty posted:

No, I remember people playing those games and demanding more of those games with more features and the market responding accordingly.
That's not at all what happened, though.

People will always try to complain their way to a better future, and they should. Nobody in the 90s ever thought, "gee, I wish this game was worse on purpose so I'd keep paying the developers to solve problems they manufactured so I'd do so."

Nobody who played Smash Melee ever thought, "gosh, I wish I could pay over twenty grand to see every character and costume and gamble my way there."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jokes on you, I make that wish for every game I play and also bowls of cereal just in case they turn into games. If I don't spend 20k a day on gambling games I turn into an exploding bus

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Hell, I remember why I switched from Firefox to Chrome all those long long years ago.
YouTube would constantly hitch up and apparently the only way to fix my one-in-a-million person having this problem was to downgrade FF and hope they fix it in the future eventually or go into the registry editor and gently caress with some stuff.
Or it Just Worked Fine on Chrome :v:

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

Vegetable posted:

Chrome was THE fastest browser in the 2008-2012ish era. It's rendering speed was often compared in side by side tests where Chrome loaded several webpages in the time it took Firefox to load one.

You're also forgetting that Chrome lead with quite a few different innovations that today seem so quaint that we take them for granted like sandboxing separate tabs/processes, Omnibar, built-in automatic cloud sync of bookmarks, settings, passwords, etc.

Chrome was by no means perfect, but it had clear advantages that caused a major shake up in the global browser market share.

I mean, look at this chart.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Croccers posted:

Hell, I remember why I switched from Firefox to Chrome all those long long years ago.
YouTube would constantly hitch up and apparently the only way to fix my one-in-a-million person having this problem was to downgrade FF and hope they fix it in the future eventually or go into the registry editor and gently caress with some stuff.
Or it Just Worked Fine on Chrome :v:

Firefox full screen sometimes decides I want the bottom left tooltip url thing on top of the video. I do not. I'm pretty sure this was the reason I switched from firefox the last time, so it's been an issue for awhile. I could disable it but it seems like a bother for something that should have been fixed 5 years a go or whenever the last time I used firefox as my main browser.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

When an Opera user dies a new Opera user is born to take their place. Never more, never less.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LividLiquid posted:

No, but I do I remember games shipping with completely crippling bugs that because of the nature of the industry never got patched or required you to send in for a patch disk that might never arrive.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No, but I do I remember games shipping with completely crippling bugs that because of the nature of the industry never got patched or required you to send in for a patch disk that might never arrive.
That still happens just as much as it ever did. We didn't trade up from that to a better future, so I'm confused about the point you're trying to make.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Opera 12 was the greatest browser to ever exist. Then they fired all the developers, threw their rendering engine in the trash and forked chromium, and its been poo poo ever since.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LividLiquid posted:

That still happens just as much as it ever did. We didn't trade up from that to a better future, so I'm confused about the point you're trying to make.

All we've done is make a lateral move into new realms of poo poo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PhazonLink posted:

going from NPR's WWDTM, the latest SEO meta is literally naming your place "near me" or "in [insert town/city here]" and it might actually work?

seems like stupid easy SEO strats work again.

Springfield chinese near me has a ring to it...

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Still not having any problems with this on Firefox with only uBlock origin. I saw the warning once and then blocked youtube from setting cookies.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
@Salt Fish What was so special about Opera 12 particularly?

Floodixor posted:

I will say that Cyberpunk 2077 gets the presentation of the future right in that when you're in the city, you're getting ads (fake ones, though) blasted at you from everywhere. A cacophony of noise. It's quite immersive and depressing.

For real, I’m playing it at the moment and it’s both awesome and utterly terrifying as far as glimpses of a possible future go. So many ads you wonder if there’s any room for actual content, trash bags piling up everywhere, toxic water (lmao, I splashed out on real water for some French dude as a flex), almost all animals bar roaches dead, the net is worthless…

..lovely.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Wow, I had no idea Firefox's market share had crashed so hard. I mean I honestly don't notice to much of a difference between browsers, but I do find myself using Firefox more than any other. Possibly I'm just used to how it lays out it's settings.

Also don't really want google having another avenue of tracking me. You already know everything I search for online, isn't that enough!!!!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I think the only reason Google has not yet simply blocked adblockers on Chrome is that they look at that IE graph and go hmm.

I think even if most people don't use adblockers there's a risk that "Chrome is really bad, don't use it, just download Firefox" becomes a cultural idea that spreads from the adblocky slightly techy people to the rest like it did with IE.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah I switched from Firefox to Chrome a while back too because Firefox's performance was just not up to par, and just scrolling through threads on this forum was choppy as hell in comparison. They fixed all that at some point and now that Google is throwing a shitfit I have no reason to use Chrome for now.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Firefox definitely has its problems. Some sites don't work in it (probably lack of testing with it, since its marketshare is so small) so you do have to keep an alternative browser around anyway. And it's also getting enshittified, just like everything else. Currently it's the completely unsolicited bloatware features they tack on all the time. Like, a couple of weeks ago they added an "auto translate this page" popup every time it detects a non-english language and since I always use it in private mode I gotta click through it three times(for each language I speak) after every time I restart the browser. The design decision behind that is mind boggling and worrisome.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Apart from trying Opera for a few months i've been on Firefox since i left AOL. :corsair:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Turning it off in about:config doesn't work in that mode?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think the mobile version of Firefox is pretty indispensable at this point, but yeah, not much point using it on desktop, unless Google actually goes full on on the doomer predictions re. effectively turning Chrome into a walled garden.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I've used firefox since idk, 2005? And I don't have any of these issues it's apparently supposed to have. I don't really care how fast webpages load when the load time is best measured in milliseconds either way.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

steinrokkan posted:

I think the mobile version of Firefox is pretty indispensable at this point, but yeah, not much point using it on desktop, unless Google actually goes full on on the doomer predictions re. effectively turning Chrome into a walled garden.

I think the desktop version of Firefox is pretty indispensable at this point, but yeah, not much point using it on mobile, since it's all the same on iOS anyway but Safari integrates with ad blockers better :v:

Mymla posted:

I've used firefox since idk, 2005? And I don't have any of these issues it's apparently supposed to have. I don't really care how fast webpages load when the load time is best measured in milliseconds either way.

Basically this

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

On mobile I only get ads for chud adjacent products (concealed gun quick draw holsters and self-defense weapons) and lovely Joe Biden ads.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Regarding the enshittitfcation of Firefox there are a few prety good forks. I really like librewolf, has the most comprehensive canvas tracking protection that I'm aware of. The canvas protections can be annoying though, like having timestamps display wrong on every website. You can just turn that stuff off and it's Firefox without the bloat + ublock origin built in though.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Firefox is still the best browser but like I do not loving understand how they work so hard to poo poo it up. They said their google analytics beacon on startup is extremely valuable to understanding how people use the browser.

and yet they keep trying to add pocket and other weird features. Nobody wants that crap you weirdos look at your analytics.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mymla posted:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sentinel Red posted:

@Salt Fish What was so special about Opera 12 particularly?

For real, I’m playing it at the moment and it’s both awesome and utterly terrifying as far as glimpses of a possible future go. So many ads you wonder if there’s any room for actual content, trash bags piling up everywhere, toxic water (lmao, I splashed out on real water for some French dude as a flex), almost all animals bar roaches dead, the net is worthless…

..lovely.

It was the last release with presto just prior to all their developers quitting and the company being sold to a Chinese company. They did an IPO in like 2004 and putting their best product into the meat grinder was an important part of that process leading up to selling.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
There's a link for feedback on the ad detector pop-up that allows you to give feedback, so I said "It's telling me I have an ad blocker even though I don't, I don't know what to do!" and I haven't had the pop-up since.

Take that, youtube :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I use Pale Moon to play old flash games

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

When your job depends on a product never being finished, enshittification is all that stands between you and being unemployed.

There will never again be a major piece of software that finishes development and calls it a day. It's extremely frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Bonzo posted:

What really makes me not want to put up with this nonsense is that Google inserts ads and sponsored links into everything. My Pixel phone is now looks like I'm browsing Amazon if I dare search for anything on the web or play store. Maps is terrible. Even if you hit the "find a burger place near me" the first two results are sponsored links for a restaurant one city over.

first thing i did when i got my pixel was instal grapheneOS

but that wont solve the maps being poo poo