Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

And the hospitals are all broke and barely run, so who the gently caress is getting the money
A bunch of diffuse administrative office workers, mostly.

US healthcare spending is about 2x per person compared to other developed countries. The biggest category in the difference is administrative costs, at both insurance/payer side and doctor side. Your US hospital has a whole department full of people coding stuff, collating supporting documents, arranging those however various insurance companies want it, then following up on claims that are misfiled and don't get payed. Then each insurance company has a corresponding department of people receiving that and checking things. None of those people are making bank, but there's a lot of them, and their salaries have to come from somewhere. It's a huge amount of work that is largely unnecessary and much simpler in single payer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PurpleXVI posted:

I have legitimately had nightmares about driving, where I hosed everything up and eventually had to bail on the car and run away, where I did not gently caress up this badly.

Ruflux posted:

Same, but they're a semi-regular feature. I wouldn't call them nightmares, just annoying and frustrating themes. A common element is reversing but uh oh, the brakes don't do poo poo for some reason and you just keep plowing into things. Sometimes the same thing happens going forwards, other times I'm driving inside a mall because the road just turned into that for some reason. Occasionally I'll blow a red light or drive into a horribly confusing intersection and cause a pileup.

Like, I couldn't even imagine being in a situation similar to that video. My face got flush when I had to do an Austin Powers rear end 69-point turn outside my apartment last September because I misjudged how hard I could turn in reverse and boxed myself in by the neighboring building's bike rack and the bushes lining the side of my building, all because I didn't wanna be as big of a jackass as the construction crew working the building and cut across the lawn.

I guess it's pretty much a version of the "running late for class/sitting the big test and realizing you didn't study" nightmare but for adults, since they're all centered around a commonplace communal activity where you can immediately be judged and mildly shamed if you gently caress it up

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Foxfire_ posted:

A bunch of diffuse administrative office workers, mostly.

US healthcare spending is about 2x per person compared to other developed countries. The biggest category in the difference is administrative costs, at both insurance/payer side and doctor side. Your US hospital has a whole department full of people coding stuff, collating supporting documents, arranging those however various insurance companies want it, then following up on claims that are misfiled and don't get payed. Then each insurance company has a corresponding department of people receiving that and checking things. None of those people are making bank, but there's a lot of them, and their salaries have to come from somewhere. It's a huge amount of work that is largely unnecessary and much simpler in single payer.

also they're all terrible at their jobs and gently caress your poo poo up

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

hawowanlawow posted:

also they're all terrible at their jobs and gently caress your poo poo up

Yes. On the insurance side and the hospital/clinic/medical supply company’s side.

Unrelated.

nomad2020 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUWZtbs3fy4

Posted here, because this is about as close to nature as you can get.

Bored has a new favorite as of 07:20 on Nov 12, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

GTA 6 graphics looking great, the AI could use some work though.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdnnnvo7puk

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's a good dad :allears:.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bad_fmr posted:

Thanks. Dont have archives but I'll take your word for the lols contained within.

Phenazepam stuff has been reposted and compiled to death online, if you just Google it you’ll find a billion blog posts and YouTube summaries and whatnot

Prolly one of the bigger, more notorious things to come out of SA after the early salad days of shockposting

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

bad_fmr posted:

Thats every modern truck tbh. Forward visibility sucks because of the ridiculously high and long bonnets.

Can't understand how it's a thing, it looks like trash compared to older trucks.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/GgYCPFp.mp4

Pure joy in the audio :allears:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Why is it spinning out like that?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
From what I can tell there are controls on the arms to let you "fly" but she just has em set to death spiral.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

That machine/ride owns holy poo poo.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

The theming says TMNT but the action says Tailspin

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And the movement says "projectile vomiting"

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lmao what the gently caress was going on here? was the driver just having a complete breakdown or ???

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

TACD posted:

lmao what the gently caress was going on here? was the driver just having a complete breakdown or ???

looks like pretty normal driver behavior to me

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bored posted:

November 1st was the first day of open enrollment through healthcare.gov.

But this us true. Since my life sucks and likely I do too, I greet to start working the password reset job for healthcare.gov again. I also need to pick a plan for next year. Can’t wait to see how much worse the government has allowed the insurance offerings to get this year compared to last year.

Last year, I noticed that every plan had increased by at least $200 a month while covering far less,increasing the original out-of-pocket limit allowed to be permitted to list plans on healthcare.com, and increasing the deductible limit. For people who aren’t in the US, the insurance industry considers deductible and out-of-pocket costs as two different things.

Not just arguably worse. Actually worse. gently caress the insurance industry.

I can’t find any videos of anything unfortunate happening to insurance company execs right now. :( :retrogames:

Here’s an article about a UnitedHealthcare CEO stating his specification for the Biden administration not cracking down off insurance companies overcharging for Medicare Advantage plans, which are funded by the government but administered by private insurance companies. Centene also handles quite a few MedicareAdvantage/AllWell plans for our country’s elderly and medically fragile.

I just got "let go", I guess, by my PCP because it seems I don't come in often enough, even if there's nothing wrong with me and I feel fine.

Motherfuckers, I don't go to the doctor unless I have to, in large part because of the costs Bored posted about. Seems like they just go "hmmm, BiggerBoat hasn't been in to see us in over 18 months. Better have him come in so we can bill something." Even though I have out of pocket costs, would likely have to miss work time and have no symptoms of any sort worthy of requiring a doctor visit, the fact that I haven't needed to see a physician in 2 years makes me an undesirable patient.

I worked with a guy once who had a heart condition who made it clear to every co-worker that under no circumstances should an ambulance ever be called for him - due to the exorbitant expense - and that we should contact his family or get someone there to drive him. Insane.

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
As a soon-to-be doc, you can always let your physician know of your situation, such as the cost (money or time) having you come in less. They'll put in a thing to keep you on the roster - most docs have limited enrollment slots so if nothing is said the office has measures in place to unassign patients who aren't seen in x years to make room for new patients.

If you talked to your doc and they said "too bad" you needed a new doc anyway.

If you haven't talked to your doc, call or email the office and they'll likely reassign you again, even if they're at capacity.

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
All that being said, family physicians (who are dreadfully overworked and underpaid) are acutely aware of how poo poo the health system is and are incredibly understanding and flexible with regards to patient financial concerns.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I guess it's pretty much a version of the "running late for class/sitting the big test and realizing you didn't study" nightmare but for adults, since they're all centered around a commonplace communal activity where you can immediately be judged and mildly shamed if you gently caress it up

Actually I've had nightmares about driving cars since I was ten years old. So I figured, "hey, one way to beat this will be to get my driver's license, and then I'll see it's no big deal, and it'll get better." But no, it turned out the terror just passed into the real world and I'm terrified of driving cars there, too. And the nightmares continue.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

PurpleXVI posted:

Actually I've had nightmares about driving cars since I was ten years old. So I figured, "hey, one way to beat this will be to get my driver's license, and then I'll see it's no big deal, and it'll get better." But no, it turned out the terror just passed into the real world and I'm terrified of driving cars there, too. And the nightmares continue.

Congrats on turning 16! Do anything fun for your birthday, bud?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Congrats on turning 16! Do anything fun for your birthday, bud?

?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I never stopped having the "running late for class/sitting the big test and realizing you didn't study" nightmares, just piled new ones into the rotation

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I once dreamed I was taken in a helicopter to trump's condo at the top of a skyscraper. There was a party going on, kind of relaxed. We had drinks, and enjoyed subdued thoughtful conversation. It turns out he is not a narcissistic baby monster after all. He is just under a lot of pressure, and it was clear he is actually trying really hard to do his best for the world and america, but he's not quite getting there and it's getting to him. I started awake in cold sweat it was weird as gently caress. Turns out I was getting the rona flu or whatever and my fever brain was hallucinating some wild poo poo

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Getting the robs?

Rubella?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Spelling is hard ok?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I apologize for any spelling errors, I have the robs and am posting on mobile.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Your posting has given me the morbs.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The m'robs.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
(Logs in for a day of shitposting)

"It's morbin time." :c00lbert:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I will say that when I went through cancer treatment last year the insurance company covered untold thousands of dollars in treatment costs. My deductible was 3k which was cheap for what I went through.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

steinrokkan posted:

I never stopped having the "running late for class/sitting the big test and realizing you didn't study" nightmares, just piled new ones into the rotation

I have this one a couple times a year too.

The only car related one I have that's recurring is where I'm driving way too fast and come up on a steep hill or railroad crossing and wind up launching my vehicle airborne then flying like Thelma and Louise.

Darth Brooks posted:

I will say that when I went through cancer treatment last year the insurance company covered untold thousands of dollars in treatment costs. My deductible was 3k which was cheap for what I went through.

That's cool but it should still be zero or much closer to zero at least.

Glad your treatment went well though and hope you feel better.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I think that the outrageous US cost of health insurance is cross subsidising the rest of the world because my corporate health plan here in Europe just let's me get anything for £100 per illness. You want an unnecessary MRI? Go for it because the consultant doesn't give a poo poo about the costs and neither does the insurer.

So thanks America, your pain is potentially our gain and that's some real schadenfreude right there.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Karate Bastard posted:

Spelling is hard ok?

Oh yeah, was the grink there? Did he sing mrob like the bhanson brothers?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Meatspin

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The audio has been edited into that to make it more interesting - that woman does that on purpose to try and break her previous record number of spins.

Looks like a sweet ride though.

I just cancelled some hospital treatments last week due to the cost. Had a PVC that lasted 10 minutes which felt like I was winded and being punched in the chest. Doctor thinks it's an anomaly but wanted me to go for a stress test anyway. Got the estimate back last week, and to run on a treadmill covered with electrodes, my insurance was being billed $7800, with me being responsible for $900 of that. Absolutely not. Anomaly it is.

Also had a really surprising medical bill a while ago - got a neck and spine x-ray to make sure I didn't have a more serious issue, and the entire diagnosis and process was billed to my insurance at $58. Insurance totally denied it as they didn't find any issues, and the hospital reduced the cost to $32.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/6R3Ngj0.mp4

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A lot of people in this thread talking like my old buddy who felt good, didn't eat red meat or drink heavily, was only in his early 40s, and didn't think going to the cardiologist was necessary. Anyway we're about a month away from 10 years since he died shoveling snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jesus fuvking Christ aagh