Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

Magsafe sex toys, to cut down on duct tape waste

you don't need to tape them they already have suction bases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Weedle posted:

you don't need to tape them they already have suction bases

No, the phone to the toy

For… reasons

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Soul Glo posted:

Magsafe sex toys, to cut down on duct tape waste

Are you sure you can make your teledildonics rig work with just 15W?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SlowBloke posted:

Are you sure you can make your teledildonics rig work with just 15W?

Mine only requires a teensy tiny motor :smith:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Arivia posted:

I want a MagSafe pony.

No, for that you need to look at NagSafe. :horse:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
VagSafe

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So what the heck is up with live sports scores in the dynamic island or Lock Screen? I never had them show up at all until the Cavs/Warriors game just randomly started showing the live score. From a quick google, it seems that if it’ll show teams you follow in News, even though the scores are provided by the Apple TV app.

I follow a handful of teams, including Ohio State, who was playing prior to the Cavs game, but nothing has ever shown up before.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Oh poo poo the speakers on this 15 Pro are a huge upgrade from the XS. Finally listening to podcasts at home without headphones won’t sound like rear end.

I’m gonna miss pressure sensitive touch though :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So what the heck is up with live sports scores in the dynamic island or Lock Screen? I never had them show up at all until the Cavs/Warriors game just randomly started showing the live score. From a quick google, it seems that if it’ll show teams you follow in News, even though the scores are provided by the Apple TV app.

I follow a handful of teams, including Ohio State, who was playing prior to the Cavs game, but nothing has ever shown up before.

I didn’t know that it went through the news app either, so I just added my teams to try this.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I think they call this live activities

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I’ve found live activities to be really loving hard to predict. I use an ugly app called Sports Alerts to follow scores because I haven’t found a reliable way to get the news app to show me the score I want.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I’m gonna miss pressure sensitive touch though :(

Cursor insertion was so much better with Force Touch, but after a few weeks I stopped missing it. Software compensates for like 80% of functionality.

Edit: Force Touch had to be one of the worst named apple features. Yikes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's only for MLB, NBA, and Premier League.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's only for MLB, NBA, and Premier League.

That’s really weird unless it’s an Apple rights thing?

And super weird because this was the first time it ever showed me a Cavs score.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It can’t be they because Apple doesn’t have NBA or Premiere League. They do have MLS, which isn’t included.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Dynamic Island + The Yahoo fantasy app is great for NFL Fantasy.

Every Sunday, I get a constant reminder of the beat down my fantasy team for children is either handing out, or receiving.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Aphrodite posted:

It can’t be they because Apple doesn’t have NBA or Premiere League. They do have MLS, which isn’t included.

The Apple TV app will show live mls scores using the live activity thing. Think you need to follow the team in Apple TV and open the app once during a match.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So what apps can give me live scores for all the sports? Or at least football and hockey?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So what apps can give me live scores for all the sports? Or at least football and hockey?

Sport Alerts. It's a bit of a janky looking app, but the free version does it just fine. You have to activate Live Activity manually for each game you want, but it will automatically do various game events that you can customize as push notifications for subscribed teams.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The Apple TV app will show live mls scores using the live activity thing. Think you need to follow the team in Apple TV and open the app once during a match.

Oh, does it? Apple doesn't list that as one, but their page may be out of date.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah Sports Alerts is the best one I've found.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So Apple News is raising prices and the service really isn't that great to begin with.. there any other apps out there paid or free to scroll headlines on topics I select?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

So Apple News is raising prices and the service really isn't that great to begin with.. there any other apps out there paid or free to scroll headlines on topics I select?

It’s comical how bad the News app is.

I prefer google news. They harvest all your personal information so they know exactly what you want.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I used to use flipboard until I realized the news just makes me miserable

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xzzy posted:

So Apple News is raising prices and the service really isn't that great to begin with..

Is there any subscription service that isn’t raising prices while offering less these days?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It’s comical how bad the News app is.

I prefer google news. They harvest all your personal information so they know exactly what you want.

Google news is crap too, no matter how many times I tell it to stop showing me a topic (say, the NFL) it still shows them.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is there any subscription service that isn’t raising prices while offering less these days?

That's what I'm searching for! So far.. no.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

News is dying, pay your favorite newspapers. There’s no profit margin that can be further squeezed from them.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

New York Times has a very good iPhone app (has long been one of my fav apps overall) and generally has comprehensive coverage and both “sides” when it needs to. Not free tho.

CNN app is free and, although CNN is bad, it’s better than it used to be.

I also use Google News a lot.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Best I’ve found is Artifact: https://artifact.news

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Inner Light posted:

New York Times has a very good iPhone app (has long been one of my fav apps overall) and generally has comprehensive coverage and both “sides” when it needs to. Not free tho.

CNN app is free and, although CNN is bad, it’s better than it used to be.

I also use Google News a lot.

Or you could use the unpaywall ios shortcut, and read them for free

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vegetable posted:

News is dying, pay your favorite newspapers. There’s no profit margin that can be further squeezed from them.

I guess so.. I don't really have a favorite newspaper, they all seem kinda bad these days. I just want to know what new stuff is happening without being algorithm'd to death. Like I tried that Artifact app for a little bit.. and they gamified reading the news? You level up the more stories you tap on.. just lol.

Maybe I'll just use the AP and Reuters apps.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I use Feedly and just put RSS feeds into it. Works fine.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

maduin posted:

Best I’ve found is Artifact: https://artifact.news

Artifact is pretty good. They added a "Posts" feature which is a bit of a cesspool, but the standard reader stuff is great.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I use Feedly and just put RSS feeds into it. Works fine.

I tried Feedly and it gave me an error every time I tried adding a new feed. Definitely a one off bug for whatever the gently caress I did, but it did not inspire confidence

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I want to buy one of those borescopes you can hook up to your phone but the one I am looking at uses lightning and I have an iPhone 15 Pro. It looks like Amazon has little adapters with a female lighting port and male usb c port but I can't tell if I need to worry about lower quality ones loving something up since it uses a lightning port. Apple makes their own but I don't really want to pay 30 bucks for it. Anyone have a clue?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Have you looked into the wifi ones? I have one that creates it's own local network, my iPhone connects to it, then I can see the output through it's app.

It's not like amazing quality but does the job for exploring behind my walls or in various nooks and crannies.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

The Dave posted:

Have you looked into the wifi ones? I have one that creates it's own local network, my iPhone connects to it, then I can see the output through it's app.

It's not like amazing quality but does the job for exploring behind my walls or in various nooks and crannies.

Yup, they're more expensive tho. I'd rather pay 20 bucks plus 5 for an adapter if I can.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Or you could use the unpaywall ios shortcut, and read them for free

How is this done?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, does it? Apple doesn't list that as one, but their page may be out of date.

Yep, I’ve been using it every week on MLS game days for the past months.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ThermoPhysical posted:

How is this done?

Download this iCloud link:
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/720efe19a5a3426e833418ff66dcc304

Then in Safari, hit the share button below the address bar, scroll to the bottom, and tap Unpaywall (you may have to add it to your list of functions, i forget). Select Always, and wait for the page to load ina new tab.

Note: once in a while it will get past adblockers, too.
Note 2: it won't work on every site. I think Business Insider is one, but it never hurts to try.
Note 3: sometimes the formatting will gently caress up, but the text is still there.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

xzzy posted:

I guess so.. I don't really have a favorite newspaper, they all seem kinda bad these days. I just want to know what new stuff is happening without being algorithm'd to death. Like I tried that Artifact app for a little bit.. and they gamified reading the news? You level up the more stories you tap on.. just lol.

Boring Report seems to do pretty well at its goal of removing emotion from sensational headlines and making news boring to read. Only a few available news categories, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

Yeah there was a lot of buzz about Artifact but I gave it a go and it's dumb, the gamification is annoying, and if your interest drifts into a particular corner during the initial onboarding when it's training the algorithm, you end up with a bad feed. I installed it right when the new iPhone came out, and I guess because I was reading news and articles about it, the entire feed ended up being weird clickbait about iPhones and Apple's OS's and it was awful and uninteresting.

RSS readers are still great. I've used Feedly every day ever since they killed Google News or whatever it was called.