Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Funniest choice?

I’m pulling for Urban Meyer.

Yep https://www.si.com/college/michigan...an-meyer-103023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Nothing says I want to clean up my organization's culture of power abuse and sexual misconduct like bringing in Urban Meyer

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Urban has already been shot down for State I believe.

Michigan if things go way south, who knows?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/billyliucci/status/1723694746575442027?s=46&t=kzWg0aH6OUsd0KAbYWbq1w

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
... after a blowout win?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1723694064724312187

:wow:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I look forward to A&Ms continued irrelevance despite dropping hundreds of millions of dollars on coaches.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Rectal Placenta posted:

... after a blowout win?

I guess they decided they want him gone over the past several weeks and don’t want to give him the opportunity to beat LSU and build support for another year.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rectal Placenta posted:

... after a blowout win?

It says they talked about it at the regents meeting Thursday, so before that/after the 35-38 loss to Ole Miss. Like we just saw elsewhere with Ferentz, if you're already disappointed/have seen enough you don't give them a third chance, both for the risk it works mildly well and for how bad it makes you look that you're giving someone that many chances

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Comedy option (which doesn’t square with the reported timeline) is that the one-score Tennessee and Ole Miss losses became a lot less forgivable after their respective results yesterday.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

There's a very real chance Petrino's their interim, so that's what I'm saving my comedy option for

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

There's a very real chance Petrino's their interim, so that's what I'm saving my comedy option for

Ultra-comedy option, and also very plausible, is that it’s Adazzio since Petrino and Durkin are both so radioactive.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I wonder if James Franklin will make a run at Sean Lewis. I think Mike Yurcich has run his course, and Franklin needs to find a coordinator that meshes better with his offensive philosophy. Drew Allar doesn't fit, and maybe he's just not very good.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1723710611341668648?s=46&t=yYWN9EVqicH1TwpX6QKZog

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh well; it’s not my money. Not more than it is any of yours, anyway.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Aggie make a move on Harbaugh. Mostly because I think it'd be funny.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

Aggie make a move on Harbaugh. Mostly because I think it'd be funny.

We actually tried to hire Bo back in the 80s

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

kliff :wow:

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1723714132522713528

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

gently caress it back the brinks truck up for Dan Campbell. Who wouldn’t want to leave an NFL team you have on the upswing to deal with this poo poo show

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, please hire Lane Kiffin

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

James Franklin's name used to come up any time there was a major opening, but I take it his star has dimmed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I like the idea that Steve Adazzio is the non toxic option.

I’m certainly biased but I don’t see why Lanning would leave Oregon to take the A&M job.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

God help me if boosters got sold on Deion

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The last Seminole hire went well, so they should reach for Norvell

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Resurrect Mike Leach and give him the job

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Komet posted:

James Franklin's name used to come up any time there was a major opening, but I take it his star has dimmed.

A&M does their weird poo poo out in the open so they don't need his services

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’ve got a buddy who is deep into Texags and this is his Super Bowl

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I just want to be mediocre in the normal way for a while; let’s just hire Jeff Traylor for $6.5 mil/year and average 6.25 wins for four years as a palette cleanser.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I don’t get why the admin would do this without a big name already lined up. Expecting Urban to Aggie announced shortly

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
They're obviously going to shoot for Belichick

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I hope it's a Tennessee thing from a few years ago where they shoot for the stars on a hire but their first five turn them down or implode. I live for that type of drama. And A&M will over overpay again for whoever they get so it's doubly hilarious. Other multipliers are in play because there are a ton of bad choices.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I hope it’s not Kiffin; it seems like in that case you’re putting all this money down for basically the same results but more annoying guy.

That said, I’d think it’s him and Elko pretty far out from the pack in terms of likelihood.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I can’t imagine watching Ole Miss play Bama and Georgia this season and thinking he’s the missing piece that will get you competing with the big dogs in the SEC, but I could never divine the mind of an A&M booster.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I hope it's a Tennessee thing from a few years ago where they shoot for the stars on a hire but their first five turn them down or implode. I live for that type of drama. And A&M will over overpay again for whoever they get so it's doubly hilarious. Other multipliers are in play because there are a ton of bad choices.

This happened to Texas too (how we ended up with Sark, which I suppose isn't going as poorly as the last couple hires).

A&M at least gave Fisher and Sumlin a lot more time. Tennessee and Texas were just churning through coaches so quickly that any sane coach wouldn't want to jump into the mill. I think there's a big difference when you're looking at a school that fires its coach every 3 years vs. 5 years.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I’d like to think A&M has at least established a track record as a place that will give you some time when you compared to, say, Auburn or Florida.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

PostNouveau posted:

This happened to Texas too (how we ended up with Sark, which I suppose isn't going as poorly as the last couple hires).

A&M at least gave Fisher and Sumlin a lot more time. Tennessee and Texas were just churning through coaches so quickly that any sane coach wouldn't want to jump into the mill. I think there's a big difference when you're looking at a school that fires its coach every 3 years vs. 5 years.

Strong only lasted 3 years but those were three losing seasons so what can you expect? Herman lasted 5 years, Sark’s wrapping up year three and he’s not on the hot seat. We’re not that fast on the draw.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

Strong only lasted 3 years but those were three losing seasons so what can you expect? Herman lasted 5 years, Sark’s wrapping up year three and he’s not on the hot seat. We’re not that fast on the draw.

Herman got 4 seasons apparently. I think I forgot the covid-shortened one.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

Yeah I’d like to think A&M has at least established a track record as a place that will give you some time when you compared to, say, Auburn or Florida.

Yes but also kind of a track record as a place you go to watch your career go up in flames while a bunch of goofy motherfuckers with high and tight haircuts mill around moaning about how it’s all because they’re too accepting of your mediocrity.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 13, 2023

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

PostNouveau posted:

Herman got 4 seasons apparently. I think I forgot the covid-shortened one.

Had that been a full season I think he would’ve gotten to ten wins again. Good enough to take over from Charlie Strong and field two ten-win level teams in four years, all without the benefit of NIL, and we fired him for loving Sark. Still incomprehensible to me, even if it works out in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Northwestern has won a conference more recently than A&M. They are more like North Carolina but with people who care about the football team.