Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
As you have probably heard, Michigan State head coach Mel Tucker has been suspended without pay pending a Title IX investigation into allegations of sexual harassment. There is a less than 1% chance he makes it out of this considering he has admitted to things that could get him fired with cause. The university is just trying to make sure they don’t have to pay the $70 million buyout on his instantly regretted $95 million contract. Thus begins the opening of this year’s carousel...

...if not for it technically opening in the summer when Northwestern fired god-king Pat Fitzgerald among a hazing scandal that went back for years. Good luck with that!

A couple of other early hot seats:

Neal Brown has been on it for some time at West Virginia, and they looked like complete rear end to open the season against Penn State. But the school and state is also experiencing a major money problem. A dead man walking, but for how long?

Dana Holgorsen’s Houston squad opened the season winning a squeaker against UTSA, then mounting a valiant comeback from down 28-0 in a double overtime loss. Unfortunately that was against Rice, a team nobody in FBS should ever be down 28-0 to, let alone a Big 12 program. Coug fans seem pretty sick of him in general.

Butch Jones was seen crying as Arkansas State losing 73-0. This was the Sun Belt's most consistently good program for some time. He's currently 5-21.

Jeff Hafley at Boston College: what are we doing here at this point? Survived Holy Cross though.

Jimbo Fisher: Texas A&M still owes him so much money but the results remain disappointing and the SEC is about to get Texas and Oklahoma.

Feel free to suggest more I’m not thinking of!

Wow, only two of those five actually got fired, with three successfully coaching for their jobs (I could maybe see BC moving on anyway but also it's BC).

Here now is the updating carousel:

ACC

Duke
Out: Mike Elko, gone to College Station
In: Nobody yet. I don't think an interim has even been named for their bowl game

Syracuse
Out: Dino Babers, fired 11 games in
In: Georgia DBs coach Fran Brown

Big Ten

Indiana
Out: Tom Allen has been paid $20 million to leave after going 3-9
In: Curt Cignetti of transitional darlings James Madison

Michigan State
Out: Mel Tucker as discussed earlier. Harlon Barnett went 2-8 in his absence.
In: Jonathan Smith and most of his Oregon State staff

Northwestern
Out: Pat Fitzgerald before the season started
In: David Braun has had the interim tag removed after getting this squad to 7-5 when most expected 1-11 or worse.

Big 12

Houston
Out: Dana Holgorsen after a year where he seemed to have given up
In: Willie Fritz, coming off two of the best Tulane seasons since polio was eliminated

Pac-12 (RIP)

Oregon State
Out: Alumni hero Jonathan Smith, gone for greener and whiter pastures
In: Defensive coordinator Trent Bray has been promoted.

SEC

Mississippi State
Out: Zack Arnett on somewhat of a raw deal after Mike Leach's death
In: Oklahoma OC and Art Briles son-in-law Jeff Lebby

Texas A&M
Out: They finally ponied up to get rid of Jimbo
In: Mike Elko, their former DC in the better Jimbo years

The American

Tulane
Out: Willie Fritz, off to Houston
In: Nobody yet

CUSA

Middle Tennessee State
Out: Rick Stockstill is finally gone after being there forever

UTEP
Out: Dana Dimel and his 20-49 record

Mountain West

Boise State
Out: Andy Avalos, who underwhelmed at a school that still considers themselves the cream of the G5 crop
In: Nobody yet, but interim Spencer Danielson has gotten them to the MWC championship game anyway

Nevada
Out: Ken Wilson did terribly in a terrible situation

New Mexico
Out: Alumni Danny Gonzalez out after going 11-32
In: Nobody yet. Good luck guys.

San Diego State
Out: Brady Hoke has been forcibly retired after a couple of years of miserable offense
In: Colorado OC and possibly Kent State's greatest coach of all time Sean Lewis

Sun Belt

James Madison
Out: Curt Cignetti, gone to Indiana

Louisiana-Monroe
Out: Terry Bowden after going 10-26

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Add in Northwestern since they fired Pat Fitzgerald. David Braun is just an interim coach as far as I know.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Hoke has to be on the hot seat

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Butch Jones, Arkansas State
Jeff Hafley, Boston College
Ken Wilson, Nevada

Of those three I assume Butch may not make it through the season. For the other two, I guess it’s a matter of whether anyone cares enough to bother firing them. Wilson is only in year two, but Nevada is in the conversation for worst in FBS right now.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 11, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

Add in Northwestern since they fired Pat Fitzgerald. David Braun is just an interim coach as far as I know.

oh yeah duh

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

Butch Jones, Arkansas State
Jeff Hafley, Boston College
Ken Wilson, Nevada

Of those three I assume Butch may not make it through the season. For the other two, I guess it’s a matter of whether anyone cares enough to bother firing them.

Nevada was starting from a pretty terrible position so he may have some leniency. But getting absolutely smoked by Idaho does not help his case.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nevada was starting from a pretty terrible position so he may have some leniency. But getting absolutely smoked by Idaho does not help his case.

They were coming off an 8-4 season when he took over and immediately fell to 2-10. That’s John L. Smith caliber work.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 11, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

They were coming off an 8-4 season when he took over and immediately fell to 2-10. That’s John L. Smith caliber work.

Didn't they lose a shitload of players when Norvell left for CSU?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Weird that Jimbo isn’t listed on the hot seat at least, buyout be damned. Petrino looks to be helping the offense but the defense is going to waste a whole lot of money and talent.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I guarantee every columnist with a Hot Seat column or segment is adding Saban this week with some joke header along the lines of "-458.67 DEGREES F"

(ie, one degree above absolute zero)

General Dog posted:

Reminder- JLS is not the absolute pinnacle (nadir?) of this scale. 12-2 to 0-12 (with events behind the scenes that actually made it even worse) is the ur-example

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Weird that Jimbo isn’t listed on the hot seat at least, buyout be damned. Petrino looks to be helping the offense but the defense is going to waste a whole lot of money and talent.

If the offense is indeed improved, he can probably get by just sacrificing Durkin and hiring a new DC

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

I guarantee every columnist with a Hot Seat column or segment is adding Saban this week with some joke header along the lines of "-458.67 DEGREES F"

(ie, one degree above absolute zero)

Reminder- JLS is not the absolute pinnacle (nadir?) of this scale

Right, he’s still not in the Ellis Johnson zone

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

lol got me editing

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

General Dog posted:

If the offense is indeed improved, he can probably get by just sacrificing Durkin and hiring a new DC

Then he’ll get knifed in the back by the offense stagnating and Petrino insinuating Jimbo is meddling too much, because Jimbo has hired only upstanding personalities.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/onenorthcase/status/1700845269619765629

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
MSU is a real poo poo situation now. The whole school's been in turmoil for like five years and the Big Ten is getting four new schools, three of which are in way better football position now. Who's gonna want this? The plus side is that they have a long time to search and won't have to pay Mel.

I've heard Leipold and Klieman suggested as guys they should target and those would both be pretty good fits. Honestly I think they should give Chris Creighton a call.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm kinda shocked Creighton is still at EMU. They were G5 Kansas before he got there

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

My sources say the death penalty for Northwestern football for Shrek hazing is being considered. I'm pro-Wildcat and it brings me no pleasure to report this.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 11, 2023

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Fickell’s wife crossing off jobs due to scandals or rude pizza delivery boys.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
He just got an extension and his buyout is kinda high, but if Mizzou's AD is good enough at gladhanding donors, Eli Drinkwitz is probably on his way out after this year. He's a good recruiter, but at this point Missouri's NIL laws are enough to get decent commits from a competent coach. And while he's a good recruiter, he's an abysmal gameday coach and for all his accolades as a QB guy, none of his QBs have ever been any good.

If he only wins 5 games this year (high probability), I think he's gone.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Mike_V posted:

He just got an extension and his buyout is kinda high, but if Mizzou's AD is good enough at gladhanding donors, Eli Drinkwitz is probably on his way out after this year. He's a good recruiter, but at this point Missouri's NIL laws are enough to get decent commits from a competent coach. And while he's a good recruiter, he's an abysmal gameday coach and for all his accolades as a QB guy, none of his QBs have ever been any good.

If he only wins 5 games this year (high probability), I think he's gone.
Agreed. I think his handling of the Cook vs. Horn competition is going to doom him.

You can tell they have zero confidence in Brady Cook, yet he won the job?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/GaryMiles_DN/status/1703870115635138697?t=njUYXz2nAJhG-Q6m1KhUVQ&s=19

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
A quick analysis of the current P5 coaches, with the caveat that I don't follow college foobaww as much as I used to:

ACC

Untouchable*: Brown(UNC)
Solid: Sweeney(Clemson), Norvell(FSU), Cristobal(Miami), Narduzzi(Pitt), Dorern(NCST), Elko(Duke), Clawson(WF), Freeman(ND)
Undecided: Brohm(UL), Key(GT), Elliott(UVA)
Heating Up: Pry(VT),
He's On Fire!: Hafley(BC), Babers(Cuse)

Let's address the obvious elephant in the room: no, I don't think Dabo's getting fired. Clemson's stupid and prone to making GBS threads the bed but even they're not that stupid. What I do think is that Dabo might consider gettin' out while the gettin' is good, especially considering the impending financial imbalance between Clampson and the rest of his geographical rivals. Mack's reputation will keept him in Chapel Hill as long as he wants, while Elko's not going to be at Duke for too long at this rate. Narduzzi/Dorern/Clawson are in a group where they've been at their respective schools for a while and haven't won anything for the most part, as I choose to ignore the fact Pitt and Wake played for the ACC title. The tragedy at UVA makes last year a wash for Elliott, but he's not done himself any favors to start '23. I don't know how Babers is still at Syracuse. Threw Marcus Freeman in here because why not.

B1G

Untouchable*: Franklin(PSU), Ferentz(Iowa)
Solid: Day(OSU), Harbaugh(UM), Locksley(Maryland), Fleck(Minn)
Undecided: Fickell(UW), Braun*(NW), Rhule(Neb), Barnett*(MSU), Walters(Purdue)
Heating Up: Schiano(Rutgers), bert(Illinois),
He's On Fire!: Allen(Indiana)

Franklin's been very good at Penn State for a while now, barring the COVID year, and once next season rolls around and they don't have to play OSU/Michigan every year, things are only looking up. I was tempted to lower Ferentz to solid with the possibility that he'd ragequit over his defense not scoring enough points to save his son's job. Day should be untouchable given the results, but he's now lost twice in a row to That school and did himself no favors with the final drive vs Georgia; I think OSU would be nuts to get rid of him but a third straight loss to That School Up North (plus Urbz mingling behind the scenes you know he is) can lead to irrational decisions. As for Harbaugh, that he's finally gotten Michigan over the hump and then done everything possible to leave is hilarious. I want Michigan to win the national title and in the immediate postgame interview for Harbaugh to openly throw his panties at like the Raiders or Falcons job. Schiano might be on the permanent warming up seat at Rutgers. Indiana's been bad since COVID and it might cost Allen his gig.

B12

Untouchable*: Gundy(OSU)
Solid: Malzahn(UCF), Leipold(KU), Sitake(BYU), Dykes(TCU), Klieman(KSU), McGuire(TTU)
Undecided: Sarkisian(UT), Satterfield(Cincy)
Heating Up: Venables(OU), Aranda(Baylor), Campbell(ISU)
He's On Fire!: Holgorsen(UH), Brown(WVU)

Had I done this at the start of the season, Sark would have been firmly in the NBA Jam categories. Beating Bama before we all realized Bama was trash this season earns him a bit of a reprive. Gundy and OSU are wed at this point. I considered putting Sitake in Untouchable, but let's see how life in a major conference suits the Mormons first. Leipold's age (59) might be the biggest thing against him getting a shot at a major program, sad to say. I think Campbell missed his chance to move up and might have to settle for a lateral or downward move. I'm assuming people wanting Holgo the Magnificent gone are due more towards his charming personality than his results.

P12

Untouchable*: Whittingham (Utah)
Solid: DeBoer(UW), Kelly(UCLA), Lanning(OU), Riley(USC), Smith(OSU)
Undecided: Dickert(WSU), Sanders(Colorado), Dillingham(ASU), Taylor(Stan)
Heating Up: Fisch(Arizona)
He's On Fire!: Wilcox(Cal)

Be I a betting man, I would be shorting Deion at Colorado right now. He's got the entire college football world eating out of his hand at the moment, but he's going to have to start playing some real teams here soon and there's obvious flaws with his Buffs. I also don't think Deion's gonna be in Boulder for the long term; either something better is going to come about and he'll make the leap or things will implode in a fury of media leaks and lawsuits. DeBoer is someone who could be in position to make a big leap here in the offseason, or at least force Washington to spend what little B1G money they're going to get on keeping him. Kelly is fascinating to me; both he and UCLA looked around for different partners a couple of years ago and found no one better (plus UCLA couldn't afford to fire him), so they stayed together for the kids and have found some degree of success. Riley can develop a Heisman QB just as well as he can crumble in a big time game. I'm not sure what to think of WSU/OSU's situations; Smith has done well enough to keep his seat while Dickert's only been average, and the real question is going to be how either side can keep spending at a P5 level without P5 money coming in. Speaking of P5 money coming in, I assume that's the reason Wilcox is still at Cal.

SEC

Untouchable*: Smart(UGA), Stoops(UK), Saban(Bama)
Solid: Kiffin(Miss), Heupel(UT), Kelly(LSU), Lea(Vandy), Beamer(SC)
Undecided: Freeze(Auburn), Arnett(MSU)
Heating Up: Napier(UF), Pittman(Ark)
He's On Fire!: Drinkwitz(Mizzou), Fisher(A&M)

One natty doesn't make you Untouchable in God's Favorite Conference. Two does, however, so welcome to job security Kirby Smart! I'm still amazed that Stoops' name isn't thrown around more and not only is he still at Kentucky, but he might outlast John Calipari. Godking Saban's going to coach until he's literally at death's door. Kiffykins has a good thing going at Ole Miss but he'll never be able to tame his wandering eye. Freeze is back in the SEC, meaning Auburn will be on probation come 2028 at the latest. Pittman is following the bert path, meaning there'll be a new coach calling the hogs either next year or the year after. I'm not sure who'll blink first between Drinkwitz and Mizzou but someone will after this season. Anyone else would have been gone after making GBS threads the bed as bad as Aggie did last season, but This Coach and more importantly This Contract kept that from happening. At some point the Aggie boosters are gonna have to swallow deep and realize that they're gonna have to spend nine digits to get rid of their mistake and to bring in someone new. And you know they're not gonna bring in Elko or DeBoer or someone who isn't "proven", they're gonna want a winner. Sweet Baby Jesus in Heaven, please let this come to fruition, please give me 2024 Texas A&M Head Coach Dabo Sweeney. I need it. I need Aggie not learning from their mistakes. Please let it happen.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Unless the Tigers flame out, Drink is off the hot seat after taking down K-State last week.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Heating Up: Napier(UF)

I'd throw Napier in undecided. He's 2-1 after playing two ranked teams, he just beat a rival, and has the #3 ranked 2024 recruiting class on deck.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

I wouldn't be surprised if any Pac 12 coaches left after the season, but I would be surprised if any were fired. The bottom of the conference so far is two first year coaches with steep rebuilding to do. Maybe there's some heat on Arizona if they don't make a bowl this year. Cal is broke and also they don't care about football.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The Athletic has Feldman and Vannini pitching Tucker replacements as MSU inches towards being officially open

Both:
  • Sean Lewis (OC Buffalo)
  • Chris Klieman (HC Kansas State)
  • Lance Leipold (HC Kansas)
  • Mike Elko (HC Duke)
  • Brian Hartline (OC tOSU)
  • Pat Narduzzi (HC Pitt)
  • Matt House (DC LSU)
  • Charles Huff (HC Marshall)
Feldman:
  • PJ Fleck (Head Boatrower Goldy Bitch)
  • Willie Fritz (HC Tulane)
  • Jason Candle (HC Toledo)
  • Kane Wommack (HC USA)
  • Bill O'Brien (OC Patriots, CEO post misconduct reputation rehabilitation inc)
  • Sherrone Moore (OC Michigan)
  • Harlon Barnett (Interim HC Michigan State)
Vannini:
  • Matt Campbell and a time machine (HC Iowa State)
  • Dave Clawson (HC Wake Forest)
  • Jonathan Smith (HC Oregon State)
  • Mark Stoops (HC snowball's chance)
  • Mike Tressel (DC Wisconsin)
  • Dave Doeren (HC NC State)
  • Ryan Grubb (OC Washington)
  • Tyson Helton (HC Western Kentucky)

Bringing Fleck back to Michigan is an interesting thought. His arrival to Dinkytown was in the aftermath of a group sexual assault by players and recruits, including evidence destruction to try and cover it up - the incident that led their teammates to threaten to boycott their bowl game unless punishment was rescinded (supported by interim HC Tracy Claeys). Matt Campbell actually strikes me as the sort of boring, posthype coach they really need right now (but I don't recall and cba to look in to his program's off-field record at ISU).

That they've shown a willingness to overpay and overcommit even before the new TV deal tells us MSU should be an attractive job that can poach successful coaches from P5 schools (and nobody should blame Smith for jumping in the life raft), but between this and Nassar I'd also think my program would be (rightfully!) under a microscope.

MSU's in an interesting spot, and I wonder if they try and jump early or see if something idiotic like a Day firing happens later.

I'm halfseriously contemplating what a negotiated Jimbo exit would look like - obviously A&M wouldn't make the Spartans pay a dime at this point if Jimbo was willing, but how much would they have to kick in as an exit bonus to make the departure palatable for the guy who has $75m coming if they can him? Would an immediate $25m lump sum do it?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I can't see BOB going back to college. Penn State was unique in a couple of ways that made it worse than most college experiences, but he really did not enjoy the secondary job of booster gladhanding.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Please no Narduzzi I love what you did here as DC man but dear god the state of Pitt offense is reminiscent of our worst Dantonio years.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Brent Key is going to be at Georgia Tech until/unless he commits multiple felonies.

Tech's broke. Key wasn't their first choice. They couldn't afford Willie Fritz. They could have had Fritz before Tulane beat UCLA as he had visited campus. They could afford Key. He's staying for a while.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

You might as well perma-pencil in Kane Wommack for the rest of the year in any "hot G5 coaches to hire" discussions. Getting 10 wins out of South Alabama last year and then proving it wasn't a fluke (after manhandling OK State on Saturday) means he is gone gone gone somewhere at the end of the season.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Brent Key is going to be at Georgia Tech until/unless he commits multiple felonies.

Tech's broke. Key wasn't their first choice. They couldn't afford Willie Fritz. They could have had Fritz before Tulane beat UCLA as he had visited campus. They could afford Key. He's staying for a while.

Yep, I can’t imagine Georgia Tech makes any changes for awhile. We are stuck in mediocrity until the ACC collapses.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I feel pretty strongly that Jimbo would have to miss a bowl again to get bought out this year.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

I feel pretty strongly that Jimbo would have to miss a bowl again to get bought out this year.

I think if he won 6 or 7 games AND Texas had a really good season, the fear of living in our shadow in the SEC could loosen up the purse strings. The A&M fanbase seems to have a bit of a complex about being seen as little brother.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Thermos H Christ posted:

I think if he won 6 or 7 games AND Texas had a really good season, the fear of living in our shadow in the SEC could loosen up the purse strings. The A&M fanbase seems to have a bit of a complex about being seen as little brother.

The Texas fanbase takes it for granted that we are better than A&M, so that definitely works both ways. Being in the same conference again is going to be wild.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

DuckHuntDog posted:

The Texas fanbase takes it for granted that we are better than A&M, so that definitely works both ways. Being in the same conference again is going to be wild.

Well yes the Texas fanbase generally considers it a given that they’re better than A&M in any number of ways. Not necessarily at football in a given year, but in a more holistic sense.

Gonna be that way in the SEC, for sure. “Whoever wins today, we’ll be back in Austin tomorrow and you’ll still be in rural Alabama/Mississippi/Louisiana.” This is a pretty big part of why most everyone rightly hates us.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Realtalk, Austin seems like a dreadful place to live for a grownup.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

Realtalk, Austin seems like a dreadful place to live for a grownup.

Texas is a dreadful place to live. Austin’s about as good as it gets down there, though. And god it used to be incredible before all the drat grownups arrived.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Thermos H Christ posted:

Texas is a dreadful place to live. Austin’s about as good as it gets down there, though. And god it used to be incredible before all the drat grownups arrived.

This. Texas sucks, as a whole, due to the state government. Austin used to be incredible and is the best place you can choose to live in this state.

I think we're done after my son gets through 5th grade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Peaked around 2014 and then fell hard after. By 2017 I would no longer recommend.

My favorite time was '07-'10 or so. It was still getting cooler from '10-'14 but you could see some of the problems that were upcoming.