Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

the holy poopacy posted:

The part where you are deliberately choosing to eat low quality garbage food, not out of convenience but an earnest desire to put the shittiest possible food into your body, because you care deeply about eating trash.

To be fair, the people who are eating low quality garbage food put of convenience also probably have some soul searching to do.

I want to learn more about where I can get an affordable burger, made delicious and promptly every time, that is not "garbage food."
What secret restaurant are you hiding from us?
Where is this blowjob in a bun?
Go on, I'm dying to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I usually say In-N-Out is overrated, but In-N-Out

It's fresh, it's the same every time, and it's cheaper than everything else

Just have fun waiting in line during dinner hours, especially on weekends

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

This attitude is loving insane. It is so alien to me that I don't even know how to explain my perspective to you. If I paid for a particular thing and didn't get it, obviously I'm going to need them to either give me the correct thing or my money back. That money has value to me. The thing I chose to spend it on has value to me. Everything I choose to buy cuts off the opportunity to choose something else. This seems so obvious to me as to go without saying, and yet you apparently don't feel this way? You're happy to just throw money away and eat whatever is placed in front of you, even when you specifically asked for something different and were told you would get it? What is wrong with you?

See, knowing from the side of the deliverer and cook, it gets really easy to let my cooks take simple mistakes without further action.

The reason I quit my last full-time delivery job and now only do it back home to drive around with my wife and jam to music as a side gig?

Somebody, a different lady from my first anecdote, called and insisted her Dr Pepper she ordered alongside her meal was short. Despite the fact that we didn't have a hand operated soda fountain. It was one where you just put the cup in and slam small/medium/large buttons and it fills. And no Dr Pepper was spilled in my personally-owned vehicle that I would definitely notice.

I was ordered by my boss to quit my normal driving and rush a new Dr Pepper to this angry lady. A sole free Dr Pepper. When my wage relies on tips to be viable and the maintenance and gas costs of my car are all on me.

Sorry but it was praxis to walk the gently caress out and leave that lady with her lack of DP, and I'm proud.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Food related:

I hate it when you can't tell if you're supposed to bus your own dishes or not in a place, usually coffee shops/small cafes. In some places it's obvious and they have a little station with a "Please put dirty dishes here!" sign on the grey bins that you put dishes in that I don't know the term for with recycling and garbage bins next to them. In places with disposable things it's obvious, like you just throw them away, but if there's like actual plates and cups and the bin is a little off to the side then it's all... not sure? Sometimes I bring it up to the counter too if it's just a mug but I'm not actually sure if this is helpful now.

I guess I could literally just ask if I should put them anywhere special but if it's busy then that isn't an option.

Okay, I think my peeve is actually MY INABILITY TO STOP OVERTHINKING :smith:

edit:good lord, I used the word "stuff" way too often in that post

HOLY FUCK has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Nov 11, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

HOLY gently caress posted:

Food related:

I hate it when you can't tell if you're supposed to bus your own dishes or not in a place, usually coffee shops/small cafes. In some places it's obvious and they have a little station with a "Please put dirty dishes here!" sign on the grey bins that you put dishes in that I don't know the term for with recycling and garbage bins next to them. In places with disposable stuff it's obvious, like you just throw stuff away, but if there's like actual plates and cups and stuff and the bin is a little off to the side then it's all... not sure? Sometimes I bring stuff up to the counter too if it's just a mug but I'm not actually sure if this is helpful now.

I guess I could literally just ask if I should put them anywhere special but if it's busy then that isn't an option.

Okay, I think my peeve is actually MY INABILITY TO STOP OVERTHINKING :smith:

If they do bus and you ask "do we bus ourselves here?" you sound like an impatient rear end in a top hat too.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Henchman of Santa posted:

If they do bus and you ask "do we bus ourselves here?" you sound like an impatient rear end in a top hat too.

Yeah, good point. I'll probably just watch other people if there are any and try my best :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just walk up with the dishes and stuff if I don't know where to put them and hand it to them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dip Viscous posted:

I am American and I still don't which people to tip.

I was in a restaurant called Astoria Seafood in NYC recently and it was the first time I was absolutely confused about tipping. You order your meal at the cash register so I got around $80 worth of food for the family and I tipped $10 right there and there was another tip jar for the cooks so I left another $10 there. I thought that I was done but then the guy that served the food also expected a tip after clearing out the tables. I left $5 and the guy said it wasn't enough and he was basically expecting another $10. Maybe don't have so many loving tip jars and people to tip. The food was great and an amazing value but the numerous tipping was irritating.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

credburn posted:

It sucks, but it is also frustrating when I hear people who are like "oh wow I had no idea it was like this" or "hey it shouldn't be that way!"

It shouldn't be that way, but it is, it always has been, always will be, and is really naive to think otherwise.

yeah it shouldn't be that way, and i'm gonna keep complaining about it because it shouldn't be that way, on account of how it shouldn't be that way, a point you agree with. the attitude of "they're right but i'm tired of hearing about it" is a pet peeve of mine too

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

I feel like fast food places should accommodate half of this argument by just letting you buy x dollars worth of fast food. "Put about nine dollars worth of whatever Arby's got in this bag, I'm too convenienced to be picky."

I mean, outside of specific gimmick items that's Taco Bell right there. You're not so much ordering a taco or a crunchwrap as defining the number and final shape of the tortilla(s), which will then be filled with pretty much the exact same stuff.

I also think that TB is like the only place I'd want a "surprise me" option like that, because outside of the protein I would be basically unable to guess what I even got. I feel like they're good at getting my (occasional and intoxicated) orders correct, but maybe they're always wrong and I don't notice because of the above.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As soon as fast food workers can get my order correct then they deserve to be paid more!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Taco Bell used to have this cool fan made calculator thing where you'd put in how many bucks you wanted to spend and it would output the maximum caloric value you could get with it. Probably still does.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

Expecting your fast food order to be 100% accurate is silly. Yes, it happens, but it's not common.
No, it is actually extremely common. I don't eat fast food very often, but when I do I get what I ordered. And if I didn't I would point out the mistake and get it fixed because that is a normal expectation at any kind of shop or restaurant.

credburn posted:

Tiggum, you're the jerk holding up the fuckin line because your hamburger came with extra pickles instead of no pickles -- that's the cost of convenience. And yes you probably got charged twice-extra for the extra pickles.
How is getting the wrong thing in any way convenient? How is getting charged the wrong price convenient? What do you even think convenience means?

credburn posted:

I've also worked as a fast food worker, a janitor, a short order cook, and no, we are not people. There is an understanding there, too, when you get hired at such a job, that you're no longer a person. You're there to do the work that a machine can probably do, but also provide a human-like visage for customers to abuse.
You are literally insane. Maybe your orders are always wrong on purpose because you're a giant arsehole.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I want to learn more about where I can get an affordable burger, made delicious and promptly every time, that is not "garbage food."
What secret restaurant are you hiding from us?
Where is this blowjob in a bun?
Go on, I'm dying to know.

That's my whole point. If you prioritize the getting the cheapest and fastest burger you can get then there are obviously compromises being made to make that happen and you probably should not expect any level of quality or consistency out of it, because that's not what you went looking for.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
You can get it fast, cheap, or good. Pick two.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

I think some of you just have some weird expectations or a set of standards that are grossly higher than what is normal.

Expecting your fast food order to be 100% accurate is silly. Yes, it happens, but it's not common. Tiggum, you're the jerk holding up the fuckin line because your hamburger came with extra pickles instead of no pickles -- that's the cost of convenience. And yes you probably got charged twice-extra for the extra pickles.

I've also worked as a fast food worker, a janitor, a short order cook, and no, we are not people. There is an understanding there, too, when you get hired at such a job, that you're no longer a person. You're there to do the work that a machine can probably do, but also provide a human-like visage for customers to abuse. That's your job. It sucks, but it is also frustrating when I hear people who are like "oh wow I had no idea it was like this" or "hey it shouldn't be that way!"

It shouldn't be that way, but it is, it always has been, always will be, and is really naive to think otherwise.

I can't remember the last time I got the wrong food at a fast food place. As far as I can remember, it's always been right. So based on that it's reasonable to expect it. It's different from I demand it.

If the order is wrong it's not a big deal for me, but it's not something that has happened to me in recent memory.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

No, it is actually extremely common. I don't eat fast food very often, but when I do I get what I ordered. And if I didn't I would point out the mistake and get it fixed because that is a normal expectation at any kind of shop or restaurant.

How is getting the wrong thing in any way convenient? How is getting charged the wrong price convenient? What do you even think convenience means?

You are literally insane. Maybe your orders are always wrong on purpose because you're a giant arsehole.

Yeah but thing is, also doing food service, the giant arsehole is the person who storms back in to demand new food. I took some pride in doing haute-cuisine but this ain’t it, this is the teenager who’s been here for two days handing you the wrong bag, and the people who got your bag are gone for good and eating it. If you demand I make it right I 100% loving guarantee everyone back of house will put it on the back burner, and make it be as bad and late as possible, unless the manager starts yelling about an angry customer.

If you’re a sane person who is just thankful for the food, on the fly refires are the worst loving thing to happen in the kitchen. It fucks up everything. It’s one step above people who walk in three minutes before closing and expect they can get three courses without the entire staff glaring at them

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Nov 12, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah but thing is, also doing food service, the giant arsehole is the person who storms back in to demand new food.
Where did I give the impression I was doing that? I'm doing a quick check of my order when I receive it, and if it's wrong I'll say something like"oh, sorry, I asked for X but this is Y." and the person behind the counter will say "No problem, let me get that for you." You're imagining this massive confrontation when it's actually just a simple, polite, friendly conversation.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It depends for me. I'll go back if they forgot something entirely and ask for it but if it's something like I asked for no tomatoes and they put tomatoes in it then ah well. I'll just live with it. Life's to short to go back and get a whole hamburger remade. I hate tomatoes too but I can deal with it being slightly more poo poo then it would have been.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Tiggum posted:

Where did I give the impression I was doing that?

How hard you went and how many people you called insane over this pet peeve I think

I think we'll all check the bag and hand it back to them if you order a burger combo and they hand you some vegan tacos or whatever

But I got the impression that you'd have them make you a whole new burger if it had pickles on it or something. Which, if you're not allergic to pickles or w/e, is a little intense

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Suds" as a slang for beer.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Punkinhead posted:

you'd have them make you a whole new burger if it had pickles on it or something. Which, if you're not allergic to pickles or w/e, is a little intense

Not to agree with Tiggum, but the pickles thing I can sort of understand because it changes the molecular makeup of your burger. There is no "just take off the pickles" because the juice and stench has already sogged every part of the burger.

I still wouldn't demand they replace my order, but in the days of ordering fast food I had to make sure never to order anything in which pickles could come on, because it sure didn't matter how many times I repeated PLEASE NO PICKLES DO NOT PUT PICKLES ON IT NO PICKLES NO NO NO NO NO NO PICKLES there would almost always be pickles.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
credburn eats a french fry and makes a face at the telltale stank of pickles. Sighing, they take a sip of their soda to get the taste out of their mouth. They freeze in horror as they watch a pickle bob to the surface.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love pickles. I just think fast food pickles are kinda nasty texture wise so I don’t want them. But I got no issues with juices or whatever.

Same with tomatoes. Tomato juices are whateve it’s the whole thing that ruins the burger for me lmafo

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

credburn posted:

Not to agree with Tiggum, but

You should not agree with the person who thinks it's "insane" to not berate minimum wage food service workers for not honoring the implied verbal contract they entered into to provide no less than three (3) Szechaun sauce packets with their 20 piece chicken nuggies

My pet peeve for the day: I just got out of a Home Depot that has no cashiers, only self checkout. Except that they had employees running the self checkout and ringing people up because there was a line halfway to the back of the store. Its almost as if customers are slow to check themselves out because they don't loving work there and maybe, just maybe it's more efficient to have paid staff that knows what to do facilitating this task!

Also sort of related: it should be completely legal to slash the tires of these dickhead monster truck owners that insist on backing into parking spaces in crowded parking lots.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Also sort of related: it should be completely legal to slash the tires of these dickhead monster truck owners that insist on backing into parking spaces in crowded parking lots.

I should be able to buy a license to legally hunt non-commercial trucks over a certain dollar value.

And I'm gonna use every piece of the truck so it's okay

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Punkinhead posted:

I should be able to buy a license to legally hunt non-commercial trucks over a certain dollar value.

And I'm gonna use every piece of the truck so it's okay

:hmmyes:

This would justify my desire to have a Barrett .50cal anti-material rifle. You want to make sure you get a clean shot through the engine block. Don't want the poor thing to suffer

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

You should not agree with the person who thinks it's "insane" to not berate minimum wage food service workers .
i mean credburn thinks minimum wage workers need to just accept their dehumanization without any complaint because the sound of the complaints annoys credburn, so

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

InediblePenguin posted:

i mean credburn thinks minimum wage workers need to just accept their dehumanization without any complaint because the sound of the complaints annoys credburn, so

Well I'm a minimum wage worker and dehumanization dollars is what I earn. I don't myself dehumanize minimum wage workers or encourage it, but I sure expect that behavior from your average consumer.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

credburn posted:

Well I'm a minimum wage worker and dehumanization dollars is what I earn. I don't myself dehumanize minimum wage workers or encourage it, but I sure expect that behavior from your average consumer.

"sure, yeah, this sucks, try just accepting it" yeah no i won't be, i will keep complaining, you might consider developing class solidarity instead of just rolling over and deciding that better things are not possible and everybody else should just stop whining? fucksake man

edit: seriously, accepting your own dehumanization doesn't make you a chill dude who's better-adjusted than those who do complain about it (like me!), and urging others to accept THEIR dehumanization just because you yourself have done so makes you a loving rear end in a top hat

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
"Lanes" rhetoric in politics: "Stay in your lane", etc. It started as a metaphor - a stupid one - for describing the different candidates running in the democrat primaries in 2020. People apparently started taking it so seriously that now everyone has a predetermined "lane" that they're expected to stay in no matter what.

It's loving stupid.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Punkinhead posted:

How hard you went and how many people you called insane over this pet peeve I think
I called credburn insane, because they think that:
  • Fast food orders are almost always wrong
  • It is wrong to ask for your incorrect order to be fixed
  • Fast food workers are "no longer a person" and should be expected to "provide a human-like visage for customers to abuse".
I'll say it again. That's loving insane. It's not even consistent.

Punkinhead posted:

I think we'll all check the bag and hand it back to them if you order a burger combo and they hand you some vegan tacos or whatever
Not credburn! They think you're an arsehole if you do that!

Punkinhead posted:

But I got the impression that you'd have them make you a whole new burger if it had pickles on it or something.
TBH I probably would, because I really dislike dill pickles and wouldn't be eating that burger. So what am I supposed to do? Throw it out and order another one at my own expense? Throw it out and eat nothing? It's not unreasonable to ask for a mistake to be corrected when you've paid for something.

You should not agree with the person who thinks it's "insane" to not berate minimum wage food service workers for not honoring the implied verbal contract they entered into to provide no less than three (3) Szechaun sauce packets with their 20 piece chicken nuggies
Again, where are you getting this nonsense? I'll politely ask for a mistake to be corrected. Credburn is the one who thinks berating fast food workers is normal and unavoidable and actually what they're paid for.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I am on the same page as Tiggum, I've basically never had the wrong order given to me by a fast food person and it seems absolutely bizarre to suggest that you shouldn't politely get them to correct the mistake if you do get the wrong food. Maybe this is some weird regional thing??

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think every fastfood worker should have a sword and the freedom to use it as they see fit.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Organza Quiz posted:

Maybe this is some weird regional thing??

Possibly but there’s only problems when I order steamed hams

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Organza Quiz posted:

I am on the same page as Tiggum, I've basically never had the wrong order given to me by a fast food person and it seems absolutely bizarre to suggest that you shouldn't politely get them to correct the mistake if you do get the wrong food. Maybe this is some weird regional thing??

Yeah I don't think I've got a wrong order from a fast food place in person either.

I've had the odd issue with takeaway orders missing a dish but those have been quick and easy to fix.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Organza Quiz posted:

It's because mistakes happen and i dont want to hold up the line (if there is one) to correct it because life is already hard for food service workers.

i can deal.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Tiggum posted:

I called credburn insane, because they think that:
  • Fast food orders are almost always wrong
  • It is wrong to ask for your incorrect order to be fixed
  • Fast food workers are "no longer a person" and should be expected to "provide a human-like visage for customers to abuse".
I'll say it again. That's loving insane. It's not even consistent.

Not credburn! They think you're an arsehole if you do that!

I don't think that credburn is being entirely sincere in their love and acceptance of being on the receiving end of constant abuse as a minimum wage worker. They're being a bit cynical about it but they're not wrong necessarily either. The primary job of a telephone customer service rep, for example, is to soak up abuse from enraged people being hosed over by Comcast or whatever. Its not like they're empowered to actually do anything to help them.

Tiggum posted:

Again, where are you getting this nonsense? I'll politely ask for a mistake to be corrected. Credburn is the one who thinks berating fast food workers is normal and unavoidable and actually what they're paid for.

I'm getting it from the way you post. You don't seem to understand that people working in fast food get poo poo on constantly by assholes pretty much every day. They have no idea if you're a decent and polite person and there's a significant possibility that even if you are, their boss might not be and they'll get screamed at for making a mistake. I've personally had a boss scream at me and threaten to fire me in front of customers for a mistake that the customers weren't even mad about. The point is, its not worth potentially making someone's life miserable over a pickle.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You don't seem to understand that people working in fast food get poo poo on constantly by assholes pretty much every day.
What the gently caress does that have to do with me politely asking to have a mistake corrected?

They have no idea if you're a decent and polite person
They can probably tell by the way I'm being calm and polite in my interactions with them. Again, I am not "berating" anyone or screaming or making demands or whatever the gently caress else you're accusing me of.

The point is, its not worth potentially making someone's life miserable over a pickle.
So I'll ask again; what am I supposed to do? Throw the food out and place another order at my own expense? Throw it out and, after already paying for food, eat nothing? How are either of those options better than just having the problem fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You eat it you silly. Unless it’s completely the opposite of what you ordered like fish or something.