Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really enjoying how intense this mission has been and has become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Anything so much as tickles the Mongoose's LT now and it'll fall over from losing its XL engine. If you're still planning on engaging then make sure you're keeping your left side hidden. Fortunately you didn't suffer any engine crits, so you're still running cool.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SPICY

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

glwgameplayer posted:

Mongoose

I knew I was playing with fire, so I can’t really complain about being burned. But also owwwww!

As I’ve now joined the pixel health club, I would prefer to stay out of the line of Fire this turn. Shooting the Hunchback in the back would mean I would have to start working on an entirely new angle of attack, so my best bet is to continue shooting the Battlemaster with you fine folks.

Not sure where would be safest for me, I was considering the woods in 2221 or 2322, I think the Hunchie could turn and shoot me from there, but I’d be out of it’s ideal range at least.

Sentinel

Also considering woods in 2221.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Bloody Pom posted:

Anything so much as tickles the Mongoose's LT now and it'll fall over from losing its XL engine. If you're still planning on engaging then make sure you're keeping your left side hidden. Fortunately you didn't suffer any engine crits, so you're still running cool.

As yes, the red health club. I totally forgot about my XL engine but it should be fine as long as I play smart

Captain Foo posted:

Sentinel

Also considering woods in 2221.

In that case, I'll do you a favor and take the ones in 2322. It will slightly reduce my accuracy but, meh. And I'll still be able to turn my body to hopefully protect my weak spot.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think you two continuing to hammer the rear armor on the battle master is definitely our best bet. I'm going to step up on the berm and unload on the hunch. Me shooting the battlemaster from the front is going to do jack poo poo.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

Mongoose

I knew I was playing with fire, so I can’t really complain about being burned. But also owwwww!

As I’ve now joined the pixel health club,

Nothing builds solidarity like 'my lt is so open if you blow on it the arm falls off'!

But yeah! this is what i was saying about TMM/defensive move mods! If you can get 7 hexes moved in a turn, you get the +3 to not get shot. Its also why i backed up to range 8!

2424 is a good one, but running around behind it before sliding in so you're faster/tougher. If you wind around a bit to 2322 by going through 2125, you can get seven hexes traveled.

you'll have to decide if you want to shoot at 7 hexes with the er large's short range, or the medium(8+), as that range bracket is shared with the erppc. You can trade better because you're faster, and I think if you settle whether you want risk(short range) or caution(medium), the turn will write itself.

Quick question: the destroyed battlemech in 1617 is a 1mp tax to move through right? (so 1 hex, 1 forest, one difficult terrain, +- a turn?)

I think my turn's settled, tho. 2019 and going into the hunchback.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

Quick question: the destroyed battlemech in 1617 is a 1mp tax to move through right? (so 1 hex, 1 forest, one difficult terrain, +- a turn?)

It's not, no. I'm not using that optional rule this time, 'Mechs don't take up much actual space in each hex.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not, no. I'm not using that optional rule this time, 'Mechs don't take up much actual space in each hex.

Cheers, thanks. I was expecting to turtle up in the smoke, or give cover to the franknenbanshee, and how quickly plans change!

Also, for the GLW, i made a little mock-up to illustrate what i meant about MP and swinging wide as opposed to running straight where you want to go earlier. 7 hexes of defense is a lot better than 4, which is what you get going straight in. Tldr, serpentine!

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 7, 2023

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
This looks like crunch time to me. The Battlemaster's rear is wide open, but it could easily bring a player or two down with it, especially since it has the Multi-Tasker SPA. Unfortunately I think you guys will just have to take the risk - between it and the Hunchback the fake SLDF still have more than enough firepower to win the engagement. Let's pray for another Streak SRM-2 miracle!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

This one is a nail-biter. I think the players have a good shot, but it might be a costly victory.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Would someone please remind me how reverse/flippy arm bits work? You can't have a lower arm actuator, and there's a small penalty, right?

(I was trying to remember if the blackjack actually has arm arcs or not, and can't tell at first glance from the sheet)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

'Mechs with only upper arm actuators can reverse their arm weapons and fire behind them at no penalty. Same goes for full-armed 'Mechs with the Hyper-Extending Actuators quirk.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Hey PTN, quick question. Could you possibly put what hex a 'mech is currently in somewhere on their card? It's not a big or important thing, but I feel it'd make it easier for non-players to keep track of who's where.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
If you could have a medium mech get into melee with hte Battlemaster, could you try and Wishbone it and yank off the limbs?

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

wedgekree posted:

If you could have a medium mech get into melee with hte Battlemaster, could you try and Wishbone it and yank off the limbs?

later seasons of that show must have had some really dark books

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

propatriamori posted:

later seasons of that show must have had some really dark books

Decision at Thunder Rift, but there's a dog in the Shadow Hawk

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sentinel
Orders in

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Do we think the battlemaster or the hunchback is the priority target this turn?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TheParadigm posted:

Do we think the battlemaster or the hunchback is the priority target this turn?

I’m continuing my attack on the battlemaster. We’re starting to open up the rear armor. It’s still pretty intact in front, though

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

yeah. The thing that has me consider the hunchback is that any medium laser hit (to the rear torso's) is penetrating, and it could take the ac20 off the field

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TheParadigm posted:

any medium laser hit

I need to get reading glasses, so I read this as "medium laser hat" and was like dang, I want one of those

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think if you guys have rear shots on the hunchback that's totally valid to shoot at as well. It's of course incredibly threatening. Once either unit goes down it'll be trivial to stick to the rear arc of the remaining mech since all of you but me are faster than they are.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

blackjack
Alright, orders are in! It looks like I'll be taking that ppc fire for you both!

I'm heading to 1921 and possibly threatening both mechs with backshots.

Fun fact: My LT has enough armor left on the rear, that the hunch's ML won't go through, where it wouldn't survive the same tap from the front.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
This bucket actually has more firepower facing backwards than it does forwards, so it my armor gets too ragged in front, that's a bonus, at least!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Dragon’s Teeth 3-9

The Mongoose’s large laser speared into a gaping rent in the BattleMaster’s back, carving away at its structure like a hyena worrying a bull. Prodigal watched with baited breath, hoping against hope for a heat spike or puff of smoke or secondary explosion that would’ve told her she’d clipped something vital, like the BattleMaster’s engine or gyro. A shell from Ironhead’s light autocannon found the gap too, vanishing inside the assault ‘Mech where the shell’s detonation would do the most damage.

The BattleMaster barely even seemed phased. Worse, as it came about, a shot from its PPC took Ironhead’s leg clean off. The young mechwarrior tried to dance away from the shot, but the enemy Mechwarrior just held the trigger down a half-second longer and tracked the particle beam back to the Sentinel’s vulnerable thigh. The Sentinel’s structure flashed to vapor and, weakened by the intense heat, the medium ‘Mech’s leg snapped clean away. Ironhead snapped her light autocannon skyward as the Sentinel fell on its bulbous chest, preventing the fall from cracking or bending the weapon’s long barrel—but the Sentinel was out of the fight. If Ironhead tried to prop herself up and keep firing, the BattleMaster was sure to finish her off.

The bull still had horns. As if to prove it, the BattleMaster spun about, its pursuit of the Colonel’s crippled Banshee momentarily forgotten as it tried to take bring all—or at least more—of its guns to bear on its lighter-weight harassers.

Movement Phase
[n/a]

Shooting Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Fires ER Large Laser at BattleMaster (4 Gunnery + 0 range + [1] movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 11, hit Rear Center Torso (0/11 armor, 20/27 structure remaining)! Crit!
- - BattleMaster suffers a critical chance in Center Torso: rolled 4, no critical hits sustained!
- Fires Small Laser at BattleMaster: target out of range!
- Fires Medium Laser at BattleMaster (4 Gunnery + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 7, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at BattleMaster (4 Gunnery + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 9, missed!

Sentinel (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 2121!
- Fires Ultra AC/5 [Ultra] at BattleMaster (4 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, with a cluster roll of 10: 2 shells hit Rear Center Torso (15/27 structure remaining (Crit!)), Right Leg (14/26 armor remaining)!
- - BattleMaster suffers a critical chance in Center Torso: rolled 7, no critical hit sustained!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at BattleMaster (4 Gunnery + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, fails to lock-on!

Hoplite (Player)
- Fires LB-10X Autocannon [Slug] at Hunchback (2 Gunnery + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 5, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback (2 Gunnery + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (16/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback (2 Gunnery + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (5/20 armor remaining)!

Blackjack (Player)
- Reverses arms!
- Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback (4 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback (4 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (1/16 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback: target not in front arc!

ArchBanshee HammerMaster (Ally)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 2020!
- Fires LRM-20 at BattleMaster (3 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 4 minimum range = 10): rolled 7, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at BattleMaster (3 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (2/24 armor remaining)
- Fires Medium Laser at BattleMaster (3 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (17/28 armor remaining)
- Fires Medium Laser at BattleMaster (3 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (25/40 armor remaining)!

Hunchback
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1918!
- Fires Autocannon/20 at ArchBanshee HammerMaster (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Torso (0/30 armor, 15/20 structure remaining)! Crit!
- - ArchBanshee HammerMaster suffers a critical chance in Left Torso: rolled 10, 2 critical hits sutained!
- - - rolled 6: lower, rolled 2: Heat Sink destroyed!
- - - rolled 6: lower, rolled 1: Heat Sink destroyed!
- Fires Medium Laser at ArchBanshee HammerMaster (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (1/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires Small Laser at ArchBanshee HammerMaster (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Center Torso (17/40 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Blackjack (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 8): rolled 10, hit Rear Right Torso (1/6 armor remaining)!

BattleMaster
- Torso twists to threaten hex 1719!
- Fires ER PPC at Sentinel (3 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Leg!
- - Guts forces a reroll: hit Left Leg (0/10 structure remaining)! Left leg blown off!
- Fires ER PPC at Hoplite (3 Gunnery + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + [0] secondary target = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (9/26 armor remaining)!

Shooting End Phase
Sentinel
- Automatically falls [rolled 3] forward in hex 2221 facing [rolled 1] original facing!
- Suffers 4 damage in the fall to Center Torso (8/12 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Critical chance in Center Torso: rolled 6, no critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (5 Piloting + 5 Leg Destroyed = 10): rolled 8, fails! Pilot hit!
- Must pass a 5+ consciousness test: rolled 10, succeeds!
- ’Mech disabled!

ArchBanshee HammerMaster
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 Piloting + 1 massive damage = 6): rolled 2, fails! Falls [rolled 6] backwards facing [rolled 4] hex 2017!
- Must pass a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (5 Piloting + 1 massive damage + 0 avoiding pilot damage = 6): rolled 6, succeeds!
- Suffers 9 damage in the fall to Rear Center Torso (6/17 armor remaining), Left Leg (2/26 armor remaining)!

Melee Phase
[n/a]

Melee End Phase
[n/a]

Heat Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Gains 20 heat, sinks [22]!

Sentinel (Player)
- Gains 6 heat, sinks [12]!

Blackjack (Player)
- Gains 8 heat, sinks [20]!

Hoplite (Player)
- Gains 10 heat, sinks [18]!

- Gains 17 heat, sinks [21]!

Unknown Light BattleMech
- Gains 2 heat, sinks [14]!

Talos #1
- Gains 9 heat, sinks [12]!

Hunchback
- Gains 14 heat, sinks [15]!

BattleMaster
- Gains 32 heat, sinks [36]!

End Phase

Next Turn’s Movement Phase:
- Must pass a piloting test to stand (5 piloting = 5): rolled 11, succeeds, burning 2 MP!
- Stands facing hex 1817!

Map Link

Objectives
Primary Objective
- Capture at least one Fake (Complete!)
- Defeat or drive off the Fake SLDF (3/5)

Secondary Objective
- Colonel Wendigo survives (0/1)
- Recover the enemy BattleMaster with cockpit intact (0/1)

Player Status:

Ally Status:

OpForce Status:

Special Rules
Bitter Cold: BattleMechs dissipate 2 additional heat per turn. Ejecting pilots suffer 1 automatic pilot damage.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Mongoose

It's not going well, lads. Two chances at a crit and neither one pulled through. The Sentinel is out of the fight and I'm still at pixel health.

I can get to either 1521 or 1621 to open fire on the Battlemaster's back again. Neither location is super safe, but 1521 is safer for me since I don't believe he can torso twist far enough to attack me from that position. 1621 would put me in ER PPC range. I guess 1621 would be safer against the Hunchback but I don't really know if it would be shooting at me anyway.

Between the Blackjack and me, I think we can kill it, but we need the vast majority of our attacks to land

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

o7

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Man the dice are really just not with us here, I missed the 6 but hit the 8s, we rolled so many no effect crits, AND the sentinel gets legged. I'm going to get behind my berm and keep shooting the hunchback, only real thing I think I can do. I think rear hits are still our only chance against the Battlemaster.

I think the blackjack needs to take 1621 directly behind the battlemaster, it has by far the most dice to roll at it. Maybe the Mongoose instead goes for the hunchbacks rear.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ah thats a big whoops from me. I totally forgot more guns were in the blackjack's torsos and it wasn't all arm stuff

Gwaihir posted:

I think the blackjack needs to take 1621 directly behind the battlemaster, it has by far the most dice to roll at it. Maybe the Mongoose instead goes for the hunchbacks rear.

1621 is a no-go for me, sadly 1721 is 5mpm but between facing change, movement, elevation and a forest hex it would be 9 to get in. Woof.

Anyone spot a better move?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 12, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

TheParadigm posted:

Ah thats a big whoops from me. I totally forgot more guns were in the blackjack's torsos and it wasn't all arm stuff

1621 is a no-go for me, sadly 1721 is 5mpm but between facing change, movement, elevation and a forest hex it would be 9 to get in. Woof.

Anyone spot a better move?

I'm not sure, but I think you can run to 1520, and I think that would let you attack the rear if you torso twist. Your accuracy wouldn't be great, but it should be enough I hope

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
1520 looks like the best chance I guess yeah, there's no way for you to get rear hunchback shots this turn

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Guess so. Do you think its worth the (potential) overheat to try to get the battlemaster toasty?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Any dice we can throw at the rear arc are worth it at this point, even 2 damage flamers.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Scintilla posted:

The Battlemaster's rear is wide open, but it could easily bring a player or two down with it, especially since it has the Multi-Tasker SPA.

I hoped I would be wrong about this. :sigh:

Not sure what to suggest. The Battlemaster has put itself in a position where getting accurate shots at its rear is very difficult. Focusing on just surviving the next turn might be the best play.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You've got two spare 'Mechs and guts rerolls, so your situation isn't as dire as it could be.

Of course, I could roll the same hit location twice again, but that's reasonably unlikely.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
It's a pity the Hoplite is out of position. An LBX Cluster round into the back of that Battlemaster would do wonders for potential crit chances on that open CT.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're not really out of position, it's hard to flank anything the same speed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

Of course, I could roll the same hit location twice again, but that's reasonably unlikely.

:gonk: why would you curse the thread???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well.

It's reasonably unlikely to happen twice, considering.